ive been using openbsd for a while now and really getting into (((scheme))) and ((((((lisp)))))) in general. i guess like everyone fucking else on this planet i'll do atleast r5rs-compliant scheme interpreter at some point, but for now i'm just fucing with the (define-syntax) and (define-macro) to really mold that shit to look something more akin to Standard ML or Haskell. with clojures threading macros ofc
Hrmmm. Yes, i too enjoy sklooming my jimbys with skleeeeee 2.0.

GroverBabyFurr posted:

mold that shit to look something more akin to Standard ML

catchphrase

you guys are being such a bakas. SML is Standard Meta-Language, its the prima tool for mathematical proofs. and also everyone read a goddamn sicp.

k&r is kicking my ass a bit

bit188 posted:

k&r is kicking my ass a bit

what chapter? k&r bible can be a slog sometimes

i'm seriously only on chapter one which makes me feel like a huge dumbass hahahah
dont worry. id suggest going through some open source projects while reading the bible to get a feel on how c works, but tbh, unless youre dealing with embedded shit get on the FP bandwagon.
i got through a real analysis class without struggling whatsoever so i'm pretty confused about why this is so much worse

that does make me think FP might be more my speed though

bit188 posted:

i got through a real analysis class without struggling whatsoever so i'm pretty confused about why this is so much worse

that does make me think FP might be more my speed though

seriously the most annoying thing about C are memory and pointer arithmetic and FP gets rid of those easily while being truly inspiring and interesting and not generating a new generation of CowboyCoders. well maybe scala and ocaml if there ever were a paradigm shift from imperative towards functional style. if you ever venture to lisp-1/scheme then im up for some discussion but c feels nowadays just tiresome and not fun. maybe this is just me as an uneducated philistine speaking without any future on computer science, but tbh id rather program leisurely and engulf myself in the fires of programmin language theory.

E: garbage collect your heart is what im saying.

reading the bible to get a feel on how c works

catchphrase

Actually ML means a lifelong student of the science of Marxism-LEninism.
lisp, or more precisely scheme and it's varied implementations, have been really interesting to learn and to use. i mean i cant say i have any uses really for programming other than wanking about programming language theory on lambda the ultimate, but its just so damn intoxicating molding it to a language of your own. existing functions can be defined (scheme itself doesn't hold much primitives outside of the scope of its namespace so even arithmetic procedures could be redefined as whatever the hell you want).

i haven't teetered a bit from academic excercises like factorial, fibonacci and sieve of erastothenes or w/e, just honing them to perfection, both in execution and in the aesthetic quality of the code itself, while adding higher abstractions shoehorned in from haskell mostly. there's just something about tail-call-optimizing your code and abstracting it even further with macros and/or define-syntax. abstract out the neccesary factorial accumulation etc.

i finally feel like ive understood all the concepts, even continuations, to make something meaningful with scheme, but i have to admit that i dont really feel like doing anything. i might code an ersatz-emacs or scheme interpreter since both seem to be kind of rituals a programmer must throw themselves into.

atleast text editor might be fun since i like to keep my code purely functional with no side-effects (modifying state), and i've already implemented monads in scheme, so i could do the whole shebang without mutating any variables.
ive been talking to my analyst about what a nightmare social media and facebook is and i sent her some of my posts about it along with 'exiting the vampire castle' and the humdog thing and i mentioned yasha too. and shes very boojy and has these kinds of very liberal naive ideas about success and recognition and how it works. she said 'wow this really puts you on the cutting edge' and i wanted to die. anyway in conjunction witht he fact that she knows i code or whatever im pretty sure she thinks im a rogue hacker takin g on the system now, which is embarrassing but i guess chill as hell
the whole situation is weird , how i got involved with someone who has certainly had at least a few dinners with barack obama

bit188 posted:

she said 'wow this really puts you on the cutting edge' and i wanted to die. anyway in conjunction witht he fact that she knows i code or whatever im pretty sure she thinks im a rogue hacker takin g on the system now, which is embarrassing but i guess chill as hell

one the one hand I would say it's important for your mental health to have a therapist who is capable of actually relating to you as a person, instead of dissecting you like some weird alien specimen,

bit188 posted:

the whole situation is weird , how i got involved with someone who has certainly had at least a few dinners with barack obama

on the other hand and entirely to the detriment of your well-being I want to hear more adventures of "celebrity bouj therapist's head explodes attempting to understand actual leftist"

bit188 posted:

i sent her some of my posts

catchphrase

bit188 posted:

see if you can get a dinner with obama as well and slip him a piece of paper that says 'readsettlers.com'

bit188 posted:

ive been talking to my analyst about what a nightmare social media and facebook is and i sent her some of my posts about it along with 'exiting the vampire castle' and the humdog thing and i mentioned yasha too. and shes very boojy and has these kinds of very liberal naive ideas about success and recognition and how it works. she said 'wow this really puts you on the cutting edge' and i wanted to die. anyway in conjunction witht he fact that she knows i code or whatever im pretty sure she thinks im a rogue hacker takin g on the system now, which is embarrassing but i guess chill as hell

shes probably filed you as whatever people who think they're tv character are. like this whole post is mr robot

Horselord posted:

shes probably filed you as whatever people who think they're tv character are. like this whole post is mr robot

i only watch anime so i didn't know what mr robot was until this post but i see what you mean. cheers

oh god i loaded up the first epsidoe here and im dying
It's good enough fun if you can get past the monotonous voiceover and overtly derivative premise.
i thought the episodes names were cute
i've been studying sysadmin stuff, ultimately with the goal of being really knowledgeable about UNIX Stuff or whatever, but i'm starting to feel like it;s pointless cause it means nothing in the context of being a NEET, which i am. i feel like the only way to be a real sysadmin is to work as one and learn in that context.. ultimately i need to get a job or shift focus to something that can be mastered in this context, for the well-being of my own meaning system
like being a sysadmin only nmakes sense in a corporate context where youre in charge of servers for real, it means nothing outside of that job
yeah usually it doesn't matter what you know or how well you know it if you don't have either a boss-figure or an expensive piece of paper that can vouch for it

in the case of programming, you can generally build yourself a portfolio at least -- either your own shit or fork someone's git or the like. even for technical writing, there's a million open-source projects out there that'd love for someone to contribute documentation, and that's something else you can slot into your creds. but sysadmin stuff breaks more technician than craftsperson -- probably employers aren't looking for "i can assign a NIC an IP address in centOS using the ifconfig command" or whatever in a cover letter

best of luck though
maybe systems programming is the answer
the most sought-after pentesting cert (OSCP) is a cornball CTF game and im laughing
Haha wow

interesting storythread

i've been studying various web exploit stuff like xss and sql injection and have been practicing on OWASP juice shop. maybe i can get some bug bounty money
i was downloading a book on web hacking from libgen mirror b-ok and someone popped a stored xss on the page. nice touch
[account deactivated]

toyotathon posted:

how'd you detect it?

toyotathon posted:

how'd you detect it?

oh they made it easy, i got a javascript popup alert that just said '1' which is classic xss

https://www.thedailybeast.com/famed-mit-computer-scientist-richard-stallman-defends-epstein-victims-were-entirely-willing
bumpiingt this epic thread. trying to format my new drive but i fucked up, even though i am only going to have one large partition i partitioned anyways, because its the correct way to do it, but then i ran the wrong command when setting up my luks header, i specified /dev/sdc instead of /dev/sdc1 when i ran cryptsetup. so i tried to just dd over it for a sec and hit ctrl+c because the header should be stored at the beginning of the drive i just wnated to nuke it.. but the encrypted partition is still there when i run lsblk.. ver confusing.. i dont want to wait to dd the entire 5tb drive.. ugh. back to google i guess
oh i forgot to close the container hahahhaha. very smart of me to do
i have have started the file transfer via rsync.. godspeed.

graphicalUSSRinterface posted:

oh i forgot to close the container hahahhaha. very smart of me to do

tfw you forget to close the container