le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

as i've mentioned before, when libs talk about "election hacking" what they mean is the russians allegedly released factual information that made a candidate look bad. so far i have yet to get an honest answer to this thought experiment: if Trump really is working for the russians but ends up pissing them off somehow and they release the surreptitiously recorded Pee Tape to sink his reelection, would that be considered unfair meddling in our election by resistance libs

considering how enthusiastically every news outlet rallied around trump the first time he launched 69 cruise missiles into a syrian parking lot, maybe?

http://amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2018/08/04/unite-the-right-rally-unions

D.C. metro police tried to organize special private train cars for Neo-Nazis attending a rally in Washington and the D.C. transit union said How about NO!! Do NOT go in there!!! (the train cars)
Its very cool, after the precedent of nazi violence and murder at previous unite the right event, that they are getting red carpet treatment from the state, counter rally organising being shut down by facebook as russian bot activity, Fuck to america,
so infowars et al being banned from main platforms seems to evidence a rupture in social media hegemony. looks like the concept of the value of a total platform siloed through algorithmic profiling is being jetisoned in favor of more direct curation by liberal tech.

anyone have any thoughts on this new trajectory?

[account deactivated]
in the long run facebook might become irrelevant, a weird fad, and maybe people start turning more to traditional news sources, but those news sources have been so gutted and become even shittier and weak than whatever they may have been, so all in all it's looking good for total media domination
it'll settle into being a more up to date kind of VoA probably
the freaking chemicals are making le frogs gay ftw imo

drwhat posted:

in the long run facebook might become irrelevant, a weird fad, and maybe people start turning more to traditional news sources, but those news sources have been so gutted and become even shittier and weak than whatever they may have been, so all in all it's looking good for total media domination

edit: i dont actually think were disagreeing that much cat

strong personal disagree, facebook is on the way out and im not gonna back down from this one unless there is a remarkable shift in their buisiness strategy, but traditional media sources with their terrible content output are failing even faster, cars posted about how if facebook really started to fail it might attract state support to keep it propped up, imo i dont think this would work really because its social-media, the users (not capital) create the content mass and view the adverts; but i suspect its exactly the only reason old media (which is non-social) is hanging round (although very often it seems its individual capitalists themselves propping them up see e.g. bezos buying the washinton post and taylorising the content production)-- they, as capitalist industries with their own fixed and variable costs, cant compete in capitalist production anymore i.e. their productivity is shit compared to their competators in the industrial production of "content", the really big players in the west being google/youtube and amazon (i can talk a lot about netflix, valve, streaming etc etc. but i doubt yuor interested....yet!!!) old media monopolies were broken by the "social media age" but now as facebook seems to be faltering im left thinking that "old style social media" has matured into a rotten monopoly, and will be superceded itself -- what use a static and barely interactive page with a government mandated "news feed" - theres nothing social at all in that and young people (in imperialist countries, cos thats all i know anythign about), most of whom spend their entire lives in the internet, seem to want better, ive spent a lot of time recently looking at the big internet players, google/youtube, amazon, microsoft etc re the production of content and the control of the internet/content and i feel i can see almost the future, but im struggling to outline it properly, so if anyone wants to discuss please post below and i promis to be polite :laughs

and even if you think ^^ is all tears off on one, dont forget that traditional mainstream content is aimed primarily at an ever decreesing class in the imperialist countries: parasites - so the consumer base is shrinking as the cost of maintaining parasite strata becomes untenable. imo bablu has it right, these things inc facebook will persist as nothing but hollow and minimally important voice of america style tools of imperilism;

basically i highly doubt anyone but the traitor president void screamers will ever return to traditional news sources; and as always i remain highly optimistic about the future,

Edited by tears ()

i don't think we disagree that much either and i am interested

i definitely agree that "old style social media" will decline and is already showing its age, and even though it's just a bunch of nerdy game weirdos now, i think one direction things will go is more interactive live streaming like twitch, or live youtube streams, periscope, etc and similar ephemeral/realtime social stuff -- like snapchat too, but not snapchat.

but i think it will recreate the dichotomy between "shit you heard on the internet and passed around between friends" and "something i believe is Actual News", and i think podcasts and other long-form produced media, videos i guess too, are going to be in that latter category, but i also think that is where traditional news orgs will have to go -- and are already, for example the new york times produced podcast series "Caliphate". which completely misses the point of podcasts (cheap, authentic, personal, unedited, rambly, conversational, multi-person, relatable, etc) and just is an NPR radio series in sheep's clothing, but they are at least realizing that's where they need to go and maybe will become more successful at over time.

i guess this is me being optimistic, in a sense - i think the situation i am describing is an improvement over facebook fake news garbage. but i just can't imagine the majority of the population staying media illiterate as olds who don't understand what the facebook is and can't tell what's fake or not die off. otoh mass stupidity has surprised me before so maybe i'm wrong. make america great again.
facebook has huge following of gen x professional/petit bourg (and, to a lesser degree, boomers and older millennials), and i really don't see them ever going to another platform--certainly not to the likes of insta/snapchat/streaming, which really are oriented around a substantively different way of using the internet. facebook will probably die when they do, but that'll be decades

(yeah, usually generational analysis is a spook, but fuck me if a plain eye survey doesn't show very clear demarcations)

facebook will die with generation x, just as myspace died with screamo
[account deactivated]
drwhat this is by the by but radio war nerd did a pretty good review of caliphate recently, would recommend.

ghostpinballer posted:

drwhat this is by the by but radio war nerd did a pretty good review of caliphate recently, would recommend.

yeah that's the only reason i know about it lol

Trump revoked security clearance from former Obama era CIA chief John Brennan
lmao
thats my president

dimashq posted:

lmao

lol

can't wait to find out what the alphabet boys toss back over the fence. It's like coming back from the second half when one side just tied things up with a play you're pretty sure was pure luck or chutzpah the other side didn't predict, and you hate both teams so no matter who gets humiliated it's probably going to own
I just wrote to a friend, "Trump revoked some dumb asshole's security clearance," and then luckily thought to add, "and NO I did not have a security clearance" before the friend had the chance to brutally own me... so now im riding doubly high off this news
good catch

cars posted:

can't wait to find out what the alphabet boys toss back over the fence. It's like coming back from the second half when one side just tied things up with a play you're pretty sure was pure luck or chutzpah the other side didn't predict, and you hate both teams so no matter who gets humiliated it's probably going to own

watching two teams from the south play with snow on the field, all the players doing cartoon pratfalls and complaining about not being able to Truly Play the Game because nobody thought to prepare them for the cold slippery truths of reality

my uncle still complains to this day about a football game back in the 70s where montreal "cheated" by putting on better cleats at half time to adapt to icy conditions. some as old as spring i guess

without further comment

guys its my fault ive been performing my demon summoning rituals again

Themselves posted:

guys its my fault ive been performing my demon summoning rituals again

Brennan's Twitter account posts rarely, carefully and always through professionally crafted statements, much like I do here, so it's not surprising that his latest post serves as a clarion call for the "intelligence community" to step up attacks against its target, much like I do here.
do we care about freedom of speech again? i cant keep going like this you guys
applying for a CIA job on first amendment grounds
Michael Bloomberg's three-time campaign manager, the guy behind Bloomberg's go-nowhere 2016 run for president, has started paying to promote his own tweets declaring Bloomberg the best candidate to beat Trump in 2020. All the replies so far are just people telling him to shut the fuck up. lol

cars posted:

Michael Bloomberg's three-time campaign manager, the guy behind Bloomberg's go-nowhere 2016 run for president, has started paying to promote his own tweets declaring Bloomberg the best candidate to beat Trump in 2020. All the replies so far are just people telling him to shut the fuck up. lol

[this reply is only available to bloomberg terminal subscribers]

rip aretha franklin, a person who worked for trump
LMAO. this guy paid Twitter money to make people see this

pretty on edge here waiting for the President to issue a statement on whether he has any decency. in the meantime he does NOT have permission to revoke my clearance, please link him to this post.
dear mr president, step on my balls you cowardly bully, take your geriatric gnarled foot and grind it into my scrotum you fiend, smash my genitalia with your jackboots o scoundrel, with all due respect sir, you villain, please destroy my nuts
lol