my social life in chicago has been built around wwp and i wanna expand a bit. i want to go to some kind of programming, linux or infosec meetup but i'm nervous. keep thinking i should get a job or build socially around those interests but it seems overwhelming to me
idk if it even needs to be stated anymore but be discrete & aware that many linux/infosec groups, particularly 2600, are full of narcs. generally wise to compartmentalize your activity in those groups from other activities. there are multiple folks in federal prison now for their political activities due to chicago 2600 organizers
i had not even heard of that one. are they still functional? their twitter seems dead
2600 is an old school (late 80s) hacker printmag that does still exist. i recommend buying at print media stands with larger selections, lots of neat articles. that said, yeah basically the entire scene is full of people who either talk too much or work directly or indirectly for the security state.

e: i would never recommend any of their meetups tho, outside maybe some larger national stuff. seems like a massive honeypot
they still have a meeting listed in the magazine but if they have gone defunct, cool. those folks are probably still around and working in the same industry though

JohnBeige posted:

2600 is an old school hacker printmag that does still exist. i recommend buying at print media stands with larger selections, lots of neat articles. that said, yeah basically the entire scene is full of people who either talk too much or work directly or indirectly for the security state.

oh no i have heard of this. just forgot/didnt connect. i should try hunting down pdfs though. if anyone has them.. hmu

if i ever get my books from san diego, ill give you my old ones. should have at least a few years worth in there.
https://archive.org/details/2600magazine

https://lira.epac.to/DOCS-TECH/Hacking/The%20Best%20of%202600%20-%20A%20Hacker%20Odyssey.pdf
phrack is cool too, similar to 2600 i think. they are released irregularly however; like issues are years apart but some really good stuff

http://www.phrack.org/issues/69/1.html
Excuse me, this is the Real Life thread, not Cyber Space.
same thing geezer
The warriors' bland acronym, MMI, obscures the true horror of this monstrosity. Its inventors promise a new era of genius, but meanwhile unscrupulous power brokers use its forcible installation to violate the sanctity of unwilling human minds. They are creating their own private army of demons.

ialdabaoth posted:

same thing geezer

Get a load of Neo over here

all the old hacker meetups are recruiting grounds for intelligence now. they don't even hide it. a guy i knew who did data security for a hosting company got taken to defcon by his Cool Boss and while there a cia dude just handed him a business card like it was no big deal.

the Clinton admin did a lot of work in the 90s to recruit hackers in the US and they did a really good job making permanent connections with the culture. after years of intelligence being super stressed about not being able to deal with hackers and shit like the hagbard celine debacle (german hacker wizkid does a shitload of coke and decides he's going to steal and sell intel to both the US and Soviets, it doesn't end well for him) they made a really good judgement call: these guys are on the bleeding edge, if we can't stop them why don't we just ask nicely (with $$$) if they'll work for us? a huge success integrating new and scary lumpen elements directly into the state apparatus

shriekingviolet posted:

the hagbard celine debacle

just the other day i was reminded of the film 23 for some reason, i have to rewatch it some time soon. back in the day i taped it on a whim when i saw it in the tv guide and it became one of my favourite films for a while. it's probably fairly anticommunist but should still be a good nostalgia trip

have to cut off some family members from my life for the next indefinite while for my mental health sake and yeah it feels weird, for men its much more common but for women who have been force fed the idea of the nuclear family since birth its a bit fucking bizarre not letting yourself any longer being the one to fix everything/being an emotional punch bag
just had a friend pass away friday. this kid was barely into his 20s, grew up in the projects, had the best personality, and now he's gone. i'm absolutely fucking heartbroken. there's no pigs to blame for his death. no fucking twitter nerds to lord over his death and make a spectacle of it. he just fell and hit his head playing basketball. pour one out for the homies. i'm supposed to be drawing some kind of fucking metal brackets in CAD at work to day and im crying. fuck
i went to the most pathetic fascist rally, literally three of them turned up. there were roughly 25 cops for each of them, batons, horses, the works. you couldn't even see them behind the police line mostly. lots of antifa, lots of screaming, one of the fash had her glasses snatched off her face and broken and i felt a frisson of pity on hearing. am i ideologically unreliable
speaking of DefCon
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/an-11-year-old-changed-election-results-on-a-replica-florida-state-website-in-under-10-minutes

An 11-year-old changed election results on a replica Florida state website in under 10 minutes

An 11-year-old boy on Friday was able to hack into a replica of the Florida state election website and change voting results found there in under 10 minutes during the world’s largest yearly hacking convention, DEFCON 26, organizers of the event said.

Thousands of adult hackers attend the convention annually, while this year a group of children attempted to hack 13 imitation websites linked to voting in presidential battleground states.

The boy, who was identified by DEFCON officials as Emmett Brewer, accessed a replica of the Florida secretary of state’s website. He was one of about 50 children between the ages of 8 and 16 who were taking part in the so-called “DEFCON Voting Machine Hacking Village,” a portion of which allowed kids the chance to manipulate party names, candidate names and vote count totals.

Nico Sell, the co-founder of the the non-profit r00tz Asylum, which teaches children how to become hackers and helped organize the event, said an 11-year-old girl also managed to make changes to the same Florida replica website in about 15 minutes, tripling the number of votes found there.

Sell said more than 30 children hacked a variety of other similar state replica websites in under a half hour.

“These are very accurate replicas of all of the sites,” Sell told the PBS NewsHour on Sunday. “These things should not be easy enough for an 8-year-old kid to hack within 30 minutes, it’s negligent for us as a society.”

Sell said the idea for the event began last year, after adult hackers were able to access similar voting sites in less than five minutes.

“So this year we decided to bring the voting village to the kids as well,” she said.

About 50 children participated in the DEFCON hacking event for children on Friday and Saturday. More than 30 of them were able to hack into replicas of secretaries of states, where vote tallies are posted. Photo courtesy of r00tz Asylum
In a statement regarding the event, the National Association of Secretaries of State said it is “ready to work with civic-minded members of the DEFCON community wanting to become part of a proactive team effort to secure our elections.” But the organization expressed skepticism over the hackers’ abilities to access the actual state websites.

“It would be extremely difficult to replicate these systems since many states utilize unique networks and custom-built databases with new and updated security protocols,” it read. “While it is undeniable websites are vulnerable to hackers, election night reporting websites are only used to publish preliminary, unofficial results for the public and the media. The sites are not connected to vote counting equipment and could never change actual election results.”’

But Sell said the exercise the children took part in demonstrates the level of security vulnerabilities found in the U.S. election system.

“To me that statement says that the secretaries of states are not taking this seriously. Although it’s not the real voting results it’s the results that get released to the public. And that could cause complete chaos,” she said. “The site may be a replica but the vulnerabilities that these kids were exploiting were not replicas, they’re the real thing.”

“I think the general public does not understand how large a threat this is, and how serious a situation that we’re in right now with our democracy,” she said.

Matt Blaze, a professor of computer and information science at the University of Pennsylvania who helped organize the “hacking village,” said that thousands of adults including voting security experts also tried to access voting machines and other voting software currently being used in U.S. elections today to become “more knowledgeable about voter technology.”

He also noted that the children who participated in their own challenge last week were dealing with replicas that were in many cases created to be even more formidable to access than the actual websites used by secretaries of states across the nation.

got laid off today for being a "bad fit" so i get to sleep in tomorrow

littlegreenpills posted:

i went to the most pathetic fascist rally, literally three of them turned up. there were roughly 25 cops for each of them, batons, horses, the works. you couldn't even see them behind the police line mostly. lots of antifa, lots of screaming, one of the fash had her glasses snatched off her face and broken and i felt a frisson of pity on hearing. am i ideologically unreliable

Who were the two friends you brought with you?

anyone been following this whole nev southall adult baby saga on twitter....
that whole thing with that guy seems like something where a lot of people have very strong feelings and i don't get it but i hope everything works out for them
him tweeting: "The adult baby takeover is off. Goodbye" was one of the greatest things ever tweeted on that birdy site shame he fucking deleted it
so much for Real Life
I decided to sit out in the little patch of yard I have with a beer, listen to the cicadas, and throw a ball around to my dog. I started worrying about mosquitoes and then began feeling so insanely itchy in under 10 minutes that I felt I must be a experiencing State Department flackey in Cuba- level hysteria. Came back in before even finishing my beer and checked my ankles to find almost a dozen bites per foot. Outside: not even once

karphead posted:

Damn... what outfit were you wearing?

ilmdge posted:

I decided to sit out in the little patch of yard I have with a beer, listen to the cicadas, and throw a ball around to my dog. I started worrying about mosquitoes and then began feeling so insanely itchy in under 10 minutes that I felt I must be a experiencing State Department flackey in Cuba- level hysteria. Came back in before even finishing my beer and checked my ankles to find almost a dozen bites per foot. Outside: not even once

im covered in spider bites but no mosquitoes

i viewed a dump of a trailer with the intention of maybe renting it but the landlord said im too poor. but thanked me for helping them document what maintenance it need to be habitable since i guess they never been out there since buying it out of foreclosure

Meursault posted:

karphead posted:

Damn... what outfit were you wearing?

it was one of those things where the manager asks to speak to you for a minute and you know you're getting the sack. the only thing i regret is forgetting my sunglasses to put on a la lebowski. god, i want to do that once in my life...

i went to the hackerspace meetup thingy and i met a guy im going to work on the server racks with. i was going to take the good advice and not talk about all the communism styuff but when i asked for his twitter/email he volunteered 'sorry i only post chinese propaganda' and i revealed my power level, as well
in the saga that is Cuntessa's life i have kinda broken the golden rule of not shitting where you eat" and yeah several millenniums of catholic shame is all shambolically coming to fruition
this is because of that hot chocolate, isnt it.
[account deactivated]
me get cash money, i laser you eyeball
fuck rubbermaid for maikng lunch containers that are just exactly big enough that your spoon slips down the side so you have to fish it out of your gruel and get yr fingers all dirty
[account deactivated]
I showed a relative Gibbonstrength's article on cognitive psychology as phrenology a couple days ago because she had brought the topic up earlier. She has a Ph.D. in biomed and loves stories about quack science, and she told me that cognitive psych is famous as one of those fields that fills up with mediocre minds because its experimental designs are simple and worthless, but NPR-listener types who know nothing about science think all the work in the field is complex and brilliant, a group that happens to include every past, present and future cognitive psych researcher.
today the weird noise was the car not the music, was actually evident at the time since i could hear and feel chunks of rust finally givin up the ghost and allowing the strut springs to free themselves of tension. probably rip

def rip for my meager savings though
my circle of friends has been passing around a 1982 jetta to whoever needs it for about a decade now. easiest car in the world to keep running, you pop the hood and everything's obvious because there's almost nothing there, spare parts are plentiful and cheap, screams like you wouldn't believe if you go over 100km/h on the highway but that's the price you pay for simple reliability. it still survived years of tearing around at 140.

pouring one out for yr wallet