Chthonic_Goat_666 posted:

anyone got any info or thoughts on the recent One Nation drama?

yeah i got some

ive finally found it, the video where if you watch it you die in seven days

it's funny there's more of a fuss around the sky interview than the one with seven a while back. seven give sky a real run for their money in the fascism promotion stakes
The incorrigibly left-wing ABC will be hosting Blair Cottrell tonight on the Matter of Fact with Stan Grant tonight on 9PM

*SBS actually. And this is just a day after the "Population explosion" report yesterday
?? Matter of Fact is on ABC and I can't see anything promoting him as a guest tonight (though the topic is 'free speech' and they have some IPA arsehole on because of course they fucking do).

I will note however that recently SBS Dateline did a 2-part special on gender. Part 2 was about how Iceland is 'the best place to be a woman', which, I don't know, maybe it is. But part 1 was about a group of 'activists' 'defending masculinity' in the US... yes, the """Proud Boys"""". Not sure how they decided it was worth dedicating an entire episode of a serious current affairs program to a group of nazis masquerading as MRAs with a name straight out of a tim & eric sketch... but here we are. Great Job, SBS!
somewhat relatedly over here theres been a bunch of talk about 'free speech' on stupid media because two canadian alt right darlings were barred from speaking (partially because a bunch of people protested the hell out of them, and also the backup venue that the promoters organised told them to fuck off when they actually found out who it was)
Yeah i heard about that. Kind of jealous you guys just made them fuck off instead of rolling out the red carpet like we did so they could talk a bunch of tired old shit about 'Aborigines'.

Oh so he wasnt on the program then? I guess i misheard. I was watching ABC at around 5 or 6 and stan grant was on there talking to some woman news person about the reaction to blairs appearance on skynews. It hot a bad reaction so sky deleted the recording of the intwrview off of youtube or something. It was so bizarre watching these two people use a neo-nazi (in this case a moron, a very very poor public speaker) as a segue for examining the 'nuances' and 'complexities' of the 'censorship' that prevents 'us' from voicing 'our' beliefs and 'important issues'. Anyway, theres not much separating libertarians from nazis. I guess ABC has some deal with the gov to air shit content and invite retards on their shows to offset future budget cuts?
for no particular reason i am spontaneously recalling the fact that the Syrian Social Nationalist Party has training camps in the bush

and a pretty neat merch store

WildStalins posted:

I guess ABC has some deal with the gov to air shit content and invite retards on their shows to offset future budget cuts?

The ABC has been so far hamstrung by culture wars stupidity that the former political editor during 2017 was a former NewsCorp fascoid pustule who propagates the Cultural Marxist conspiracy theory.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/22/chris-uhlmann-should-mind-his-language-on-cultural-marxism

That's a rare admission of the direct link between the Nazi origins and modern adaptation of Kulturbolschewismus

damoj posted:

for no particular reason i am spontaneously recalling the fact that the Syrian Social Nationalist Party has training camps in the bushand a pretty neat merch store

as old mate rove would say - what the?!

wasnt sure about the African Gangs Crisis until now. terrifying

Insert Anning/Katter lament here (I do not have the energy for this right now)

Petrol posted:

jesus christ which of the degenerate tabloids published that?

If you guessed the herald scum, you'd be right! Yes, they chose to open yesterday's letters section with the brilliant fucken opinions of Barry from Wangaratta. Did the nazis really say "final solution", back in those long ago nazi times? Who can say? All he knows is we're being a bit sensitive if we don't let people say it here and now. Straya.
its not that i dont think the holocaust was bad, but geez, how long before we get to joke about it?
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/aug/20/nauru-hunger-strike-border-force-abandons-attempts-to-move-child-to-australia

Straya letting refugee child detained on Nauru die of starvation rather than allow his stepfather to accompany him to Australia for urgent medical treatment
nazis did not use the term der final solution because the der sounded like durrr and they were afraid of sounding dumb
What do youse think? Is Peter Dutton going to be Prime Minister next week? The shock jocks seem to be hoping for it. It doesnt seem like a wise move to me. You take one look at the guy and you know youre looking at something seriously evil. He looks depraved
have fun with your leadership fight. all we've got is an incredibly minor scandal about the opposition leaders expenses getting leaked early for some reason and im nodding off to sleep just thinking about it

WildStalins posted:

What do youse think? Is Peter Dutton going to be Prime Minister next week? The shock jocks seem to be hoping for it. It doesnt seem like a wise move to me. You take one look at the guy and you know youre looking at something seriously evil. He looks depraved

Well i started a reply to this last night, got distracted, and woke this morning to find ourselves in the midst of a spill, rendering what i already wrote redundant.

No matter how you cut it, the libs are in serious trouble now. Dutton almost won the spill, i doubt turnbull is relieved at such a close result. Dutton has resigned his ministerial position, turnbull is allegedly offering for him to keep it(!) which dutton is allegedly considering(!!!), that tells you all you need to know about how safe turnbull feels with dutton on the backbench.

So the hard right faction within the party is far from satisfied and will keep gunning for turnbull, and the moderates are mostly sick of his shit anyway, since he keeps capitulating time and again to right faction policy demands, despite the fact it only makes them more and more demanding.

So the answer to your question now is, dutton may become prime minister, probably not as early as next week, but whether he does or doesnt, its looking more likely than ever that this time next year, shorten will be PM. Which will be sort of a relief but not really. Sort of like being told 'good news! you are hiv negative! unfortunately you have hepatitis c.'

Petrol posted:

since he keeps capitulating time and again to right faction policy demands, despite the fact it only makes them more and more demanding.

it has never worked before, that means it has to work this time!

The Labor Party has made it pretty clear that theyre not interested in winning elections. Its more likely to me there will be a hung parliament. At best Labor will scrape by with a minority, leaving the door open for a future coup against him by Chris Bowen or that creepy mummy-looking motherfucker with the humonguous eyes.. i forget his name..

I know none of us are crystal gazers but what do you see is the future of this country over say the next five years? Washington will be expecting australias participation in the upcoming holocaust, so this tit-for-coup-detat cant go on forever. Im sure some right wing figures are nursing hopes that a trumpian 'man of the people' is going to shake up the establishment and deliver australia into a glorious newold apartheid futurepast. The demographics and urban density of this country guarantees that that sort of politics can never really be popular. I mean, its not 'popular' anywhere but it especially cant be popular here. My own life experience tells me that 'multiculturalism' or whatever you want to call it has been pretty successful in this country.

So that leaves us with the scenario i always think about during these coup detats which is a military dictatorship. Theres going to be an economic crisis soon so you can bet the political situation will deteriorate. How is a coalition or labor government going to 'democratically' agree to demolish society to keep the banks solvent? No chance. A military dictatorship would have the added benefit of ensuring the bourgeoisie doesnt go 'soft on China'... didnt turnbull deliver a speech just last week reaffirming australian-chinese friendship or something?

WildStalins posted:

I know none of us are crystal gazers but what do you see is the future of this country over say the next five years?

Oh, it was andrew leigh i was thinking of. Creepy looking satanic dude

WildStalins posted:

The Labor Party has made it pretty clear that theyre not interested in winning elections.

It is a truism i will repeat a thousand times if i have to, that oppositions do not win elections, governments lose them. I mean you're not wrong, if labor made winning a priority they would have promoted albo over shorten in the first place, or taken any of the number of opportunities since then to install him as leader (which is not me endorsing albo personally, just saying he's a clear popular choice over shorten, who has the personality of a flood-damaged roomba). But the point remains that as far as election results go, what labor do or dont do is of limited consequence.

Im not sure why you think a military dictatorship is likely in the forseeable future. Despite all the shouting and thrashing about in terms of political leadership, government is quite stable in terms of policy, especially all the policy questions both military and the yanks would care about. Immigration policy is essentially bipartisan, support for the new anti-China security legislation is bipartisan, support for defense spending aka protection money is bipartisan... the political circus can continue for a long time yet without affecting any of these things.

The leadership situation is still a live issue and it's at times like this one notices interesting stories being strategically leaked to the press by one faction or another about the other side. The prime minister's camp really has knives out for dutton which is quite entertaining for observers like myself who think he deserves to be self-medicating at the hague. On monday there was the matter of his probable ineligibility to retain his seat on constitutional grounds as his family business receives $5.6m in direct commonwealth funding. It's very likely the high court would rule his seat vacant if petitioned to decide the matter, unfortunately the petition has to be raised by parliament and the coalition is unlikely to use its slender majority to do that to itself.

More extremely tasty though is an update to a slowly simmering scandal i posted about here back in march - dutton mysteriously using his exclusive ministerial powers to grant urgent work visas to two au pairs. When pressed on this he has denied that he knows the women or that they worked for his family. He has flatly refused to talk about the identity of their employers. He has spent over $10k of public money fighting in court to keep relevant documents secret. And now the former head public servant in immigration (sacked a few months back for getting his girlfriend a public service job, lol) is putting it out there that he personally knows all about the case and will be happy to correct the record if he notices any 'inconsistencies' between what is said and what he knows to be true. I wouldn't be surprised if this was as much out of bad blood with dutton as it is a desire to help turnbull, but the motivation hardly matters. I REALLY REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHO THESE MYSTERIOUS AU PAIR EMPLOYERS ARE. Will they be run of the mill party donors? Will they be business associates? Personal friends? Possibly even... unsavoury characters?? Who knows! Anything is possible for an ex-cop from queensland!! The suspense is killing me.
Beginning to wonder if a single seat in Australia is filled legally. I'm calling the cops on your entire parliament, trusting that they will due their due diligence (shoot first and ask questions later)
whats going on lol
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/live/2018/aug/23/turnbull-dutton-liberal-canberra-chaos-spill
(meanwhile, our koncentration kamp kids are harming themselves in ever greater numbers. Straya!)
sounds like a good time for the governor general to get involved

ialdabaoth posted:

sounds like a good time for the governor general to get involved

not sure if thats a wry joke but probably the only circumstance in which he becomes involved is if dutton takes over and is unable to form a majority government, which is possible. either way its almost guaranteed we're heading to an early election in a couple of months

no-confidence motion is on the floor, everybody walk the dinosaur

Petrol posted:

I REALLY REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHO THESE MYSTERIOUS AU PAIR EMPLOYERS ARE. Will they be run of the mill party donors? Will they be business associates? Personal friends? Possibly even... unsavoury characters?? Who knows! Anything is possible for an ex-cop from queensland!! The suspense is killing me.

And it looks like i won't have to wait forever, as during all the drama today the senate voted to hold an inquiry into the matter.