[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
the foot ball man is back

[account deactivated]
tpaine

[account deactivated]
Hash tag trail underscore, of underscore tears.
Speaking at a meeting between owners, team executives and commissioner Roger Goodell, Houston Texans owner Bob McNair reportedly said "we can't have the inmates running the prison" in response to NFL players taking a knee during the United States national anthem.

~the future founder of PanOptiBit, the e-carceration solution company whose IPO was valued at 18.4 billion USD, sets down his newspaper or whatever the fuck rich nerds use to read newspapers and says~

"Or can we..?"
Lol that owner is a massive trump donor. It's open white supremacy.

Funny thing is it's supposed to be "inmates running the asylum" but he changed it to "prison" to go even more racist slaveholder
Vote For Me To Shoot The Entire Game Of Football. Like And Subscribe
Larry, why didn't you thank him for his service?!
The MLB All-Star Game in Washington, D.C., this week was so awash in ceremony, it conjured thoughts of an old joke with a new twist: “I went to a military parade and a baseball game broke out.”

http://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2018/07/20/military-sports-astore-francona posted:

Recruiting is a main reason the military is embedded in sports. In an interview for my book, I told three-star General Russel Honore I didn’t want the Army recruiting my son while he watched the Red Sox. His response? “You better hold on to them, if you don’t want them in the Army. We’re gonna recruit the hell out of them. That’s how we man the force.”

"I appreciate the general's honesty," Astore says. "It's refreshing, in a way. But I just think that’s the wrong way to recruit.

"I lived in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, for nine years. Of course, that's the home of the Little League World Series. And one year, an Air Force van showed up. So kids, little leaguers, could come and go into this van and play video games. And the Air Force thought this was a great idea for recruitment. And I thought to myself, 'This is completely inappropriate.'

"I mean the Little League World Series should be for children. They're not even teenagers yet. And for baseball, yeah. It should not be an opportunity for any military service to show up and try to recruit youngsters.

"When I was interested in the military in high school, I went to see my civilian guidance counselor. There wasn't a Marine recruiter challenging me to a pull-up contest. So I see these kinds of things as a gradual process of the militarization of our society. And I just see it as something that we, as a democracy, should be guarding against."

Where do sports go from here? I asked one baseball executive, who told me his sport promotes the military not out of patriotism but out of fear — the fear of being called unpatriotic. Nearly 20 years after 9/11, Bill Astore believes these rituals have served their purpose.

This NPR-type story is for the most part framed in a troopsucking way, like "a lot of this stuff isn't sufficiently respectful to troops who sacrifice!" but I still enjoyed the bits about how ludicrous a lot of it is and how predatory it is

normally a society where all public events require a military parade and everyone is deathly afraid of being called insufficiently patriotic would be considered scary and evil, fortunately however we are the good guys so in this case it is just another sign of a successful healthy democracy. hooray!
I miss Clarence

thirdplace posted:

~the future founder of PanOptiBit, the e-carceration solution company whose IPO was valued at 18.4 billion USD, sets down his newspaper or whatever the fuck rich nerds use to read newspapers and says~

"Or can we..?"

it's called social media :tinfoilhat: