so i finally decided to start a garden this year and i got some seeds sprouting. i feel like its late to begin but i live at decently high altitude and theres still frost danger despite it being in the 80s today

its that time of year, folks. get pumped for growing food, flowers, and herbs
we still have a solid foot of snow everywhere and it has been highs of -5 lows of -20 for two weeks. thawed ground, let alone an end to hard frosts, won't be for a while. my housemate is so keyed up and overprepped to start gardening i fear they will pop
tansy ragwort
i put in a gartden a few years ago but it's falling apart and I need some actual hardware instead of the bullshit home depot kits that rot

karphead posted:

tansy ragwort

fuck that shit!!

been trying to clear my front yard since its got 3 boxes already set up from last year (hella overgrown) but i dont have a hoe or trowel cuz my roommates lost (somehow) so im just ripping handfuls of winter creeper and goldenrod out by hand. exhausting. pulled my tricep yesterday, trying to keep it chill now.

Ruzbihan posted:

karphead posted:

tansy ragwort

fuck that shit!!

i didnt know they had a name; ive been calling them yellowtops for a long time. theyre the fucking worst

ive also had real problems with goat head weeds for a few years. theyre the worst and my poor dog wont even go into the backyard any more because she instantly gets a thorn in her paw

whats that, you're telling me some plants came from across the ocean and stole your yard?
they could have the yard for all i care if they didnt harm my dang dog
going to do a little herb garden on my balcony this year and this time actually remember to water it. what are some good Herbs
cannabis

TG posted:

they’re the fucking worst

My exhaustive list of kinds of weeds, ranked in ascending order from least to most bad:

1. Normal weeds.
  2. Noxious weeds.
anyone got suggestion for a raised bed garden
i would go with some UW Purp, Pink Cookies and a nice Sour Tsunami for your CBD strain

littlegreenpills posted:

going to do a little herb garden on my balcony this year and this time actually remember to water it. what are some good Herbs

cant go wrong with basil, it grows fast and, strangely enough, plucking leaves actually helps it grow. ive actually grown this before and it turned out great, and the difference between fresh and dried is immense

chives are pretty easy from what ive been told. ill report back in a couple months to let you know how mine go

i think dill may take up too much space but i may be mistaken. cilantro is similar; i dont think the roots spread out much but the leaves do

tears posted:

whats that, you're telling me some plants came from across the ocean and stole your yard?

weedsettlers.com

basil can also last forever if you pluck the flowers and don't kill it; i've got one that i've had for about a decade now.

and since plants don't have any feelings, you don't have to feel bad about keeping it in a perpetual stunted adolescence while you periodically tear off parts of it to season your food
[account deactivated]
put some sproutlings in the ground yesterday: broccoli, spinach, and onions (and peas, but those were seeds directly sown so well see how that goes). i used some cloches because nighttime temperature is still in the low 40s. hopefully they don't die right away. weve also had crazy winds and im worried that theyll get torn up or out but hopefully not
My strawberry plant is flowering for the second time this season!
this was the first weekend with good weather (even tho it still might frost on sunday) so we went out as a household to the garden center, picked up some hardy ornamental grasses for the front and an ivy to grow up our clothesline pole. the garden center was a fucking madhouse, they were giving away tickets at the door for free wine poured at the information booth which is quite illegal here but i guess white suburban housewives get a free pass. day drunk wine moms dropping wineglasses in every aisle, glad i wore my work boots.
they were giving away hot dogs at the hardware store when i went to get bailing wire & the only people eating them were the migrant workers who didn't get picked up that morning
im back with my family in portland and what ve remembed is white ppl are hiding muchof their ill got cash in some really f\king good landscaping
yeah, people go nuts over their lawns and shit. living in the high altitude desert, it feels criminal to pour so much potable water onto the ground just so things look nice. especially since xeriscape done right is pretty great

garden update: most everything i put into the ground withered away almost immediately except the onions, and the spinach looks to be bouncing back. also some pea plants are peeking out - i think they just take a little while to sprout. despite their names, the sunflowers seedlings i put in do not appear to like the sun because they did real well inside and vanished once they left the shade
Lawns are the worst. The city of Lethbridge, like many southern Alberta towns, has chronic water shortages every summer. Most towns actively discourage or even fine watering of lawns during drought months because it is a huge waste of scarce water, the city of Lethbridge instead has bylaws which will fine you if your lawn isn't green enough. The entire city is a massive gated community of snobby rich white assholes.
my balcony garden is pretty clutch this year: potatoes, arugula, kale, carrots, strawberries, garlic, some dumb flowers, a hummingbird feeder.

edit: and a swarm of wasps.

Edited by winebaby ()

midsummer garden report: my pea and bean plants did not make it. apparently they do not tolerate 100 degree weather. same for the spinach. however, the eggplant and zucchini are thriving and the kale is doing alright. mixed results with the chili peppers. tomatoes seem to be doing ok. the basil, holy shit. its going nuts, which is great. time for some pesto

the only actual food i have to show for it so far is some spinach i got before it bolted, the kale, and one single banana pepper
My strawberries flowered for the third time this year and produced one really big berry on a stalk with four flowers. The other three look stunted or something. My petunias were finally growing strong months after a transplant left them nearly dead, but whiteflies came and destroyed them again. I think I managed to get rid of them early by spraying them with soap solution, but what they do makes the plant look really rough even if the damage isn't technically that bad.

I'm gonna try growing some hydroponic lettuce when I move into an apartment next month. I'd like to try one of those potato towers too, but I don't know if there will be enough space on the balcony for that.
my maples are doing great they're almost six inches tall now. im real proud of them but i don't have a good spot to transplant them to and i think the landlords gonn clean out their gutters soon
I stuck the kitchen scraps from nachos into a cup of dirt by my sink. Now I've got about a dozen little jalapeno plants shooting up. Zero effort so nothing lost when all but one survives. And then free tongue pain
inappropriately high res pic of nearly 3kg of saskatoon berries (and a negroni)

god i love these things, grow well even in our blasted hellscape
to reinforce just how much of a wondercrop is the humble saskatoon bush, we have a single one on the north side of the house that receives absolutely no attention other than the occasional cat shit fertilizer from strays, and every year it still rewards us with all this despite weathering the alberta triad of drought, hailstorms and winterkill. the ripening of the berries is staggered out across the season, so there will be more to come and it will provide for birds on the high branches all the way until winter. easy to pick, pest resistant, nutritious, delicious. perfect.
high resolution berry
i have a mullberry bush in front of my house and man does it thrive. when i moved in 4.5 years ago it was shorter than i am and now it's taller than the house. too bad i have no fucking clue what to do with mullberries. it's also up against the house so a monkey cannot chase a weasel around it
have u tried eating them
i have a policy of not eating anything that grows from the dirt they call the ground near me. i live disturbingly close to an epa superfund site. apparently theres a giant hundred year old slag pile next to the steel mill a few miles away. the epa says im in the clear but i dont really want to chance it. my gardens are raised beds so im pretty comfortable believing that my plants arent chock full of radium.
just about harvest time. final report: the eggplant did pretty well. the zucchini did amazing, and the im getting are huge; bigger than my forearm. they took a while, but the tomatoes are starting to come in. its looking like a couple dozen roma tomatoes on three plants, although a lot of them have blossom-end rot. the heirlooms just started growing so at least another week til they turn red. i have two tomatillo plants that are blossoming like crazy. i will have to figure out what to do with a few dozen tomatillos. got a good amount of kale and im planting another round since they apparently do well in cooler temperatures. i must've saved 3 or 4 dollars on kale this summer! i managed to get a bunch of banana peppers but my chilis never really sprouted. the green onions were great, just plucked the shoots when i needed them and they grew back within a week.

as for the herbs: i ended up planting what i like to call a simon and gardenfunkle: parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. the thyme died pretty fast, but the rest held out alright. the basil went bananas, and ive made good use of it. mint fizzled, which is weird cause i was told it usually grows like crazy where i am. the chives never really got much bigger than what i planted and i have made no use of them

of the 12 sunflower seeds i planted, only two made it to actual plants. i think the squirrels probably stole the seeds, those thieving bastards.

it was a pretty fun time all summer. i started off thinking that i had way too much room - 32 square feet seems like a lot when all you have is seedlings. now that theyre all fully grown, it feels like i need much more room. i think i might build another bed or two next season. the zucchini vines especially take up a ton of room

TG posted:

parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. the thyme died pretty fast, but the rest held out alright. the basil went bananas, and ive made good use of it. mint fizzled, which is weird cause i was told it usually grows like crazy where i am. the chives never really got much bigger than what i planted and i have made no use of them

that's so bizarre. up here basil is notoriously picky and fragile, mint is basically unkillable, and planting chives is signing yourself up to have a delicious infinite supply of weeds for the rest of time. are they in a bed or just a planter pot? they might start spreading after overwintering once.

oh yeah, because of cooling from the giant death cloud from BC (on fire,) we've had early autumn snapping right into winter. snow for the past 4 days, and more to come. I had some beds I wanted to shift around but might not get a chance now!! gonna be a devastating year for farming lol