kamelred posted:

detroit: become human is good. i broke my vow of non-gaming to play it with my SO and I fully accept the consequences of both transgressions, but i must report that, in fact, detroit: become human is good. shaun me if you must. come the fuck down here and ban me. i can take it. detroit: become human is good. im not trolling, btw

i would like to hear how/why it is good

Themselves posted:

well good thing im browsing the forum on my ps4 let me just start playing that game

I’m just imagining now someone writing an effort post with thumb sticks on the ps4 keyboard

[account deactivated]

drwhat posted:

Caesura109 posted:

S P O I L E R S FOR DETROIT

i played more of detroit and actually fucking hate it lol. if you take the correct path that leads to a sharpeville massacre of bots (except the main character), each death makes the "public opinion" gameplay stat go up. apparently the good endings are if they have highly positive public opinion of androids, and so far in the game that means literally helping cops and total non-violence at every turn, including after being massacred. this is the whitest gamification of anti-colonial anti-racist struggles yet

okay hear me out. yes, the politics are atrocious as expected. and yes david cage is a lunatic hack who wrote a pandering, endlessly dunkable civil rights allegory full of insipid trash that runs full tilt into all of the worst liberalisms about revolutionary politics (quick spoiler here: the game features an actual, messianic neo-esque MLK figure and he *still* gets upstaged by a hero cop), including taking concern trolling about violence to its most nauseating extreme when the game openly wonders whether liberating a concentration camp by force is really the best path. i was not permitted to go full stalin so i don't really know how bad this actually gets, but i've seen enough to agree that the games general take on these issues as at least as nauseating as the latter deus ex games and the whole canon of liberal dystopia stories that have become the bread and butter of "ambitious" sci fi videogames.

but: its not fucking boring! there are no sidequests, pointless progression mechanics, or gratuitously huge environments. its the first "big" game i've played in years where i did not find myself trudging through a half-mile of vacant terrain to reach an objective marker. we went from one episode to the next and nothing really felt like "filler", although obviously some scenarios are more exciting than others. the story maintains a stable forward momentum, sailing right over the disjointed narrative rhythm of gameplay-cutscene-gameplay-cutscene that all the big critical darlings like TW3, Persona, Nier, MGSV, etc. seem trapped by. a lot of this is down to the QTE gameplay but you know what? i didn't feel any less involved for it than i would have with, say, assassin's creed. you press whatever button is printed on the screen and get on with it.

some of the sequences are genuinely gripping, and this comes down to the game giving the simplest of shits about where the camera is, where it was, what its looking at, and what else is in the frame. its really basic film school stuff but then you look at games like fallout or mass effect where these things are almost entirely automated, shot-reverse-shot affairs and its just shameful to behold. detroit looks like a next-gen game just by virtue of its minimal competence with cinematic technique.

have i just gone insane? i dont know. i know that i absolutely prefer the cloying sentiment of detroit to the gritty nihilism of killzone and the rest of them. i know that FFXV was 40 hours long and this game was 10 hours long and yet seemed to tell a more complete story. i know that david cage is a profoundly stupid man but in no way do i want him to stop making videogames. his weeping and quivering about liberte is almost loveable compared to other francophone devs who have written just as cluelessly about american society. i'm gonna play the game a second time and maybe i'll sour on it but for now my verdict is a solid "good game". if you can get past the aggravating politics, its engrossing and breezily playable, and the choice-and-consequence element feels weighty in a way that typically eludes this style of adventure game. its also a fun conversation piece if you play with someone else, which is easy to do thanks to the vignetted structure that goes back and fourth between different characters.

In addition to everything else that is horrible and sad about what you just posted, the joy of exploiting progression mechanics is all that makes video games worthwhile
conviction: critical enjoyment is possible

doubling down: in this sin-cursed world it often the best outcome one can hope for

kamelred posted:

drwhat posted:

Caesura109 posted:

S P O I L E R S FOR DETROIT

i played more of detroit and actually fucking hate it lol. if you take the correct path that leads to a sharpeville massacre of bots (except the main character), each death makes the "public opinion" gameplay stat go up. apparently the good endings are if they have highly positive public opinion of androids, and so far in the game that means literally helping cops and total non-violence at every turn, including after being massacred. this is the whitest gamification of anti-colonial anti-racist struggles yet

okay hear me out. yes, the politics are atrocious as expected. and yes david cage is a lunatic hack who wrote a pandering, endlessly dunkable civil rights allegory full of insipid trash that runs full tilt into all of the worst liberalisms about revolutionary politics (quick spoiler here: the game features an actual, messianic neo-esque MLK figure and he *still* gets upstaged by a hero cop), including taking concern trolling about violence to its most nauseating extreme when the game openly wonders whether liberating a concentration camp by force is really the best path. i was not permitted to go full stalin so i don't really know how bad this actually gets, but i've seen enough to agree that the games general take on these issues as at least as nauseating as the latter deus ex games and the whole canon of liberal dystopia stories that have become the bread and butter of "ambitious" sci fi videogames.

but: its not fucking boring! there are no sidequests, pointless progression mechanics, or gratuitously huge environments. its the first "big" game i've played in years where i did not find myself trudging through a half-mile of vacant terrain to reach an objective marker. we went from one episode to the next and nothing really felt like "filler", although obviously some scenarios are more exciting than others. the story maintains a stable forward momentum, sailing right over the disjointed narrative rhythm of gameplay-cutscene-gameplay-cutscene that all the big critical darlings like TW3, Persona, Nier, MGSV, etc. seem trapped by. a lot of this is down to the QTE gameplay but you know what? i didn't feel any less involved for it than i would have with, say, assassin's creed. you press whatever button is printed on the screen and get on with it.

some of the sequences are genuinely gripping, and this comes down to the game giving the simplest of shits about where the camera is, where it was, what its looking at, and what else is in the frame. its really basic film school stuff but then you look at games like fallout or mass effect where these things are almost entirely automated, shot-reverse-shot affairs and its just shameful to behold. detroit looks like a next-gen game just by virtue of its minimal competence with cinematic technique.

have i just gone insane? i dont know. i know that i absolutely prefer the cloying sentiment of detroit to the gritty nihilism of killzone and the rest of them. i know that FFXV was 40 hours long and this game was 10 hours long and yet seemed to tell a more complete story. i know that david cage is a profoundly stupid man but in no way do i want him to stop making videogames. his weeping and quivering about liberte is almost loveable compared to other francophone devs who have written just as cluelessly about american society. i'm gonna play the game a second time and maybe i'll sour on it but for now my verdict is a solid "good game". if you can get past the aggravating politics, its engrossing and breezily playable, and the choice-and-consequence element feels weighty in a way that typically eludes this style of adventure game. its also a fun conversation piece if you play with someone else, which is easy to do thanks to the vignetted structure that goes back and fourth between different characters.

yes brad, it is shit... but look how full of it it is! fully! right to the brim! this is really... it's so complete. i think i'm tearing up. is this what fulfillment is? ... ok. ok. ... i'm going to do it. ... i'm going to buy this bathtub.

Themselves posted:

well good thing im browsing the forum on my ps4 let me just start playing that game

my last stretch of posting on original LF was with the wii remote & onscreen keyboard and i never made better posts before or since

so im getting into fallout 4

kamelred posted:

but: its not fucking boring! there are no sidequests, pointless progression mechanics, or gratuitously huge environments. its the first "big" game i've played in years where i did not find myself trudging through a half-mile of vacant terrain to reach an objective marker.

just play TellTale game-stories like The Walking Dead or Games Of Thrones, it sounds like that's what you want.

David Cage has never made a good game/story, Beyond Human: Heavy Whitewash is shit

well im still playing breath of the wild after taking a few months break and its very good. one of these days im gonna have to bite the bullet and finish the main story but for now im still having fun going around finding stuff and finishing sidequests and upgrading my stuff. video games are still for children but this game make me feel like a kid
why play a game about androids when you can watch an android play a game about androids?
that aum shinrikyo guy was hanged a day ago and someone on medium posted a playthrough of a game (probably by the cult members themselves) so if anyone is feeling nostalgic for a bad trip or two...
gonna do a speedrun of that game for charity

slipdisco posted:

that aum shinrikyo guy was hanged a day ago and someone on medium posted a playthrough of a game (probably by the cult members themselves) so if anyone is feeling nostalgic for a bad trip or two...

i like that one wacky theory that claims that they did a nuclear test in the australian outback

Been playing CS GO. Roomie got me into it. There's a mosaic of Lenin in one of the maps.

If anyone else plays PM me! but be warned I suck

lo posted:

slipdisco posted:

i like that one wacky theory that claims that they did a nuclear test in the australian outback

they did actually briefly own a sheep station in western australia and tested sarin on the sheep. even they werent depraved enough to test nukes here tho *gives britain the stink eye*

lol this guy is cool

Factorio is fun
i have switched from getting owned in csgo to getting owned in rocket league
rocket league is a game that makes it easy and fun to laugh at your own failures, and I appreciate that
god this past week has been oppressively nostalgic. it started with the aum guy getting hanged but it's also been 20 (TWENTY!) fucking years since SE Lain and Win98 were released. flashing back to assembling my first pc and those shitty creative sound cards

sovnarkoman posted:

i probably already posted this but lately i get home after work & do like 2-3 rocket league games and it's a great way to chill out

we should group up. rhizzone rocket league team

i played cultist simulator because i thought it would be pretty cool to run a cult, turns out its not, its actually very similar to playing a boring video game

drwhat posted:

sovnarkoman posted:

i probably already posted this but lately i get home after work & do like 2-3 rocket league games and it's a great way to chill out

we should group up. rhizzone rocket league team

i dont work so i do 20-30 rocket league games after waking up

do not under any circumstances "get good" at video games

tears posted:

do not under any circumstances "get good" at video games

sounds like someone is jealous of the giant wizard hat on my rocket soccer car

i turned sound off so i instead of listening to zakharov or deirdre talk when i discover a new tech, i recite the blurb from memory
it is entirely seemly for a young man to lie mangled by the bronze spear. in his death, all things appear fair.
thankful that those complicated 4x games are so boring, hate to think how much time people would waste on them if they were actually good

i have not spent 20 years of my life playing a single video game just to listen to this sort of abuse
haven't you
its time... ...to end this farce....

...once and for all
now im reading about that game and that part of it, and it seems like the entire point of the game is to get your civilization to transcend reality and enter a plane where you can DM daddy to dom you. hmmmm
it's mostly just like every other paradox game where you paint the map in your color
it also does the thing that every other paradox game does where you can only declare wars for particular reasons and if you don't have that particular reason you can't do it, which is possibly even more ridiculous when applied to space aliens than when it is applied to various historical periods.

the entire development studio is a spook for the idea that international law is a meaningful check on state aggression
It depends whether you are playing a group that cares about such things. My society of rampant Amazon fulfillment drones does not.
it's completely ridiculous, but unsurprising, that you go to space to find that you and all the other aliens have exactly the same kind of conceptions of sovereignty and it's just like westphalia wow what a coincidence

i get it's a game and has to be something everyday game-players can deal with but if everything is exactly the same as paradox's concept of european history then who fucking cares. stellaris is empty garbage, take a nap or read a book instead