protestant_twerk_ethic posted:

yeah we've got the volkswagen plant and the amazon fulfillment center. the volkswagen plant isn't allowed to unionize and is apparently subject to like its own sovereignty in a way i thought only applied in fucking shadowrun. and you know what fulfillment centers are like

and i'm moving to nashville in november because the i got kicked out of DSA and the local pride committee after everybody sided with my abuser. time to start over fresh in a place with a scene that's maybe less of a cess pool

e: also amazon pretty much exclusively hires contractors and temps. but again y'all know the drill there

condolences :\ i'd like to say something constructive but the best i can come up w is that there are more people here so it is probable that in absolute terms there are more decent folks. but also there is more cess pool. idk i don't get out much, to places that don't have poison ivy and no people in them anyway

ialdabaoth posted:

protestant_twerk_ethic posted:
yeah we've got the volkswagen plant and the amazon fulfillment center. the volkswagen plant isn't allowed to unionize and is apparently subject to like its own sovereignty in a way i thought only applied in fucking shadowrun. and you know what fulfillment centers are like

and i'm moving to nashville in november because the i got kicked out of DSA and the local pride committee after everybody sided with my abuser. time to start over fresh in a place with a scene that's maybe less of a cess pool

e: also amazon pretty much exclusively hires contractors and temps. but again y'all know the drill there

condolences :\ i'd like to say something constructive but the best i can come up w is that there are more people here so it is probable that in absolute terms there are more decent folks. but also there is more cess pool. idk i don't get out much, to places that don't have poison ivy and no people in them anyway

ty. i've talked to some people from knoxville/nashville/atlanta/asheville and the consensus seems to be that chattanooga is the mos eisley of queer scenes. like every LGBT community has to deal with the deranged, with bad faith actors, with TERFs, with the low key radiation of "no fats no femmes no asians" and so on and so on, but apparently for a network of complex reasons Chattanooga is very bad about this

Sorry to hear on all accounts. I go to Nashville twice a year and it does seem like a cool place (you can smoke in some of the bars!), though as with all places under capitalism one that is increasingly only accessible to a small subset of wealthy people. I know shitting on hipsters is a dated Obama era bit but it really does seem sometimes like they grow some of these neo settler types in fucking vats. I have no idea where they all come from. Not many of the new expats I've talked to in my trips ever seem to have much in the way of solidarity or consciousness of their role in gentrification, liberal as they are--I mentioned the transit bill a couple times and how community groups opposed it, and people just said it would have raised their property taxes too much. The housing org I work with here every now and then mentions some good community organization against displacement in Nashville, so hopefully there's some sliver of hope?
transit shit resulted in one of the most peculiar voting 'alliances' ive seen. the plan was a $9 billion light rail system consisting of five lines running from downtown to five major suburbs. the transit plan was strongly pushed by business interests who were preemptively grabbing up real estate along the proposed light rail lines, as well as people who generally wanted better transit and didn't realize the plan amounted to a huge handout to business interests. it was overwhelmingly shot down by: community organizations whose proposals to include affordable housing programs to stymie gentrification in the transit plan were overridden by business interests; communities that desperately need better transit but were deliberately ignored by the transit plan; and rich fucks in the suburbs whining about wasted tax dollars to build an insufficiently racially segregated mass transit system, who would not live anywhere near a rail line anyway, and who regardless have more than one suv or pickup per capita and don't worry about gas prices.

now that the plan has been nixed, we got muskites proposing a city-wide system of autonomous magic schoolbusses that run on double-decker interstate highways.

there are good community organizations fighting displacement and city govt alleges to listen to them and even enacts some of their proposals, but whenever we get something eg an ordinance to compel condo developers to also built affordable housing at the same time, the state legislature intervenes to forbid communist intervention on the free market and private property

ps o yea funding this $9 billion thing? let's just raise the sales tax on everything by 1%, in a city where we already got 9.25% sales tax

Edited by zhaoyao ()

getfiscal posted:

I have to find a job now. This sucks!!!

heh. for a communist site, its ironic how many of its members hate working.

now excuse me while i return to being a student slash stay at home dad

Petrol posted:

You know who else touted the liberatory power of work?

getfiscal posted:

same. alas.

swampman posted:

Petrol posted:

You know who else touted the liberatory power of work?

ARBY'S MACHT FRIES

winebaby posted:

rolaids posted:

I recently got back from a couple days in Nashville for work. I don't know a ton about the city's history but it's striking how Brooklynified large swathes of the area have become. The same trendy coffee shops, yuppy cocktail bars, and the same startup "Creative class" hipsters I see when I visit NY, with those ugly glass modernist developments sprouting up right near low income housing projects. Again, I don't know a ton about the south so it's possible this is already largely running its course but in the coming years it seems to me that tons of these gentrifiers are gonna begin their exodus from coastal cities into southern metros and shit is going to get extremely bad for the working classes living there.

This is the age we live in. Every city on this continent is going to be like that, sooner than you'd think.

dc's got it so bad in this respect and it's threatening to get worse. the most blatantly nasty thing along exactly these lines was the walmart scam. the district made a deal with walmart to let them open in the city, naturally also including $40m of tax incentive bribes for some reason, but another part of the agreement required walmart to open a location in a neglected low income majority black neighborhood in southeast. the city also paid safeway another $3.6m to go away and give up rights to building grocery stores in that location, in order to entice walmart to build.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/breaking_ground/2015/10/d-c-safeway-ink-skyland-deal-what-that-means-for.html posted:

The D.C. government has agreed to pay Safeway $900,000 a year for four years, beginning in 2019, in order to rid Skyland of a restrictive covenant and advance the project. The town center will be located at the intersection of Good Hope Road, Naylor Road and Alabama Avenue SE.

naturally walmart opened up stores in the yuppy regions and then broke the deal and never built in southeast. a couple months ago they paid out to the city a $1.3m settlement, instead of simply being chucked out on their asses, for some reason.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Walmart-Agrees-to-Pay-DC-13M-for-Nixed-Store-in-Southeast-478455763.html posted:

When he was mayor, now-Councilmember Vincent Gray struck a deal with Walmart: The retailer would open a store in Skyland as a condition for building stores in other parts of D.C.

Two Walmart stores opened in Northwest and one opened in Northeast, but the company dropped plans for the store at Skyland, a development surrounded by neighborhoods that the federal government considers food deserts.

of course this is just the opening chapter. because it's very possible something does get built there...

https://splinternews.com/d-c-s-biggest-homeless-shelter-is-about-to-close-will-1825959797 posted:

D.C. General was originally the city’s only public hospital, built in Washington’s Southeast neighborhood on the Anacostia River. In 2001, after then-Mayor Anthony Williams decided to shut down the hospital, the city started using the building as an emergency homeless shelter during hypothermia season. Since then, the sprawling former hospital complex grew to serve as the city’s largest family homeless shelter, and currently houses around 239 families.
Other community members remain confused as to why, after several years of promising the shelter’s closure, it is finally happening now. The city plans to erect six smaller, short-term family shelters across the city over the course of the next year, but only three of those shelters will be ready by the end of 2018, when D.C. General is set to close.
NIMBYism presents another obstacle. Residents in Ward 3—the affluent, largely white area in Northwest Washington—are fighting tooth and nail to delay the construction of a proposed 50-unit shelter in the area.

hmmmm i wonder why the city finally wants to close the homeless shelter, despite replacement housing not being ready. well, the article continues

One of the city’s proposed sites for Amazon’s new headquarters is in the Capitol Hill East neighborhood—directly on top of where D.C. General stands today. “Hill East, a quiet, traditional rowhouse community, sits at the eastern edge of the District, walkable to some of the most exciting and historic neighborhoods in the area,” the Obviously DC website reads.

It would make sense for Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos to locate his company’s second headquarters in the Washington area. For one reason, he’s planning to live here: In October 2016, Bezos anonymously bought the city’s former Textile Museum in the wealthy Kalorama neighborhood for $23 million in cash. Bezos plans to convert the 27,000-square foot property into a single-family residence, making it the largest home in the city. The renovation includes, according to Washingtonian, “191 doors (many either custom mahogany or bronze), 25 bathrooms, 11 bedrooms, five living rooms/lounges, five staircases, three kitchens, two libraries/studies, two workout rooms, two elevators—and a huge ballroom.” (At D.C. General, families don’t have the luxury of one personal bathroom, let alone 25.)

i feel like the contents of this single post should be enough to radicalize any decent human and cast bezos into hell

Edited by ilmdge ()

lovely to hear about your nashville nightmares

i live in a pretty severely economically depressed post-industrial big town/small city. its got the lowest housing costs in the state and the highest crime rates, etc. etc. it even has a stereotypical white-flight suburb that popped up in the 70s. speaking with friends, who are some of the few young professionals in town, they look to places like nashville as an ideal for how our town can claw its way out of poverty. attract young folks with the low housing costs, squeeze out the drug-addicted minorities to...somewhere, basically gentrification 101. they even speak wistfully about artist loft housing and hip coffee shops popping up in the poorest parts of town. and these are people who serve the poor for a living. sigh

getfiscal posted:

hi again getfiscal. best of luck joining the workforce, which doesn’t work & is maintained by force

CUPE 3903, the local which represents york university's grad student TAs (unit 1) and sessional lecturers (unit 2) and some other chumps i forget (unit 3), has been on strike since january. well, the fat dead mayor of canada's less charming brother is premier of ontario now, and is gonna end it by means of back-to-work legislation which as far as i know is a concept that only exists in kkklanada. anyway, in anticipation of the local's utter defeat a couple of Badoglios on the lecturers' executive committee went behind everyone else's back and accepted York's latest offer on behalf of the union, and are going to send it to a ratification vote. essentially concluding a separate peace and abandoning the TAs in unit 1. hilariously one of the key initial demands was to maintain the policy of offering these lecturers 20 tenure track positions a year when York wanted to reduce it to 2. anyway j moufawad-paul is very angry about this

ilmdge posted:

im like 110% sure that the new amazon hq is going to be in either DC or MD/VA close to DC. i remember hearing something about bezos buying the most expensive property in the DC area, and the connection to WaPo is probably also meaningful. ive also heard various On The Ground rumors

littlegreenpills posted:

CUPE 3903, the local which represents york university's grad student TAs (unit 1) and sessional lecturers (unit 2) and some other chumps i forget (unit 3), has been on strike since january. well, the fat dead mayor of canada's less charming brother is premier of ontario now, and is gonna end it by means of back-to-work legislation which as far as i know is a concept that only exists in kkklanada. anyway, in anticipation of the local's utter defeat a couple of Badoglios on the lecturers' executive committee went behind everyone else's back and accepted York's latest offer on behalf of the union, and are going to send it to a ratification vote. essentially concluding a separate peace and abandoning the TAs in unit 1. hilariously one of the key initial demands was to maintain the policy of offering these lecturers 20 tenure track positions a year when York wanted to reduce it to 2. anyway j moufawad-paul is very angry about this

wow, they sound like a bunch of unprincipled, pseudo-leftist, want-to-be academics

karphead posted:

wow, they sound like a bunch of unprincipled, pseudo-leftist, want-to-be academics

that's academia, yes

[account deactivated]
update: unit 2 voted on the surrender agreement and it went through, but the vote was declared invalid by CUPE National because there were more ballots in the box than names on the sign in sheet. Now the surrender clique and the strike clique are accusing each other, respectively, of ballot stuffing and tampering with the attendance records. New vote ends today due to the deadline set by York, Muslim lecturers are complaining abt it not being extended to Monday, students on reddit are complaining abt them trying to buy more time to drum up oppositionist votes, its wild lol

Edited by littlegreenpills ()

hold the vote on the Muslim subreddit, for epic win
my brother who married a bangladeshi sweatshop owner's daughter who i'm pretty sure he met online just got a job w merck and told me he was planning to hire a live in domestic servant from the philippines

he just finished a motorcycle tour of cambodia or something with his mba classmates
jeez Luis, goondolences.

Bablu posted:

my brother who married a bangladeshi sweatshop owner's daughter who i'm pretty sure he met online just got a job w merck and told me he was planning to hire a live in domestic servant from the philippines

he just finished a motorcycle tour of cambodia or something with his mba classmates

[account deactivated]
the rhizzone llc has a stringent policy of encouraging our posters to cut friends, family members, and associates out of their lives and sending a small monthly contribution of no less than $79.95 to P.O. Box 4678 West Lansing, Kentucky, c/o rhizzone co. dot biz slash hyphen semicolon.
[account deactivated]
huh abused domestic servants are depressed.

this is surprising

to me

toyotathon posted:

Speaking of, currently visiting my settler family in North Texas. I’m in the heart of settler society, on reconnaissance into enemy territory . It’s always interesting to visit, American settlers are far more transparent in their class interest than the petit bourgeois liberals back home.

Also the countryside here is disgusting; the land is split into tiny plots, for almost no productive use whatsoever except to play out white settler western fantasies. Settler political power is heavily entrenched with most land under white ownership along with firearms in every household for “self-defense” (read: property defense, obviously). Family was discussing the recent news coming from the border of family separations and instead of caring about apartheid a couple hours south of us, they instead pointed out the policy was in place under obama too and that republicans were being targeted unfairly (poor republicans!). It’s funny how the American right unconsciously critique the Democrats (often they’re right on the mark) but only do so to play the victim and to obscure their own parasitism.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

toyotathon posted:

is there rhizzone advice/policy on what to do w/ family that have devoted their lives to class betrayal but you still gotta see all the time? asking for reasons

https://rhizzone.net/forum/9/

my family is cool and i love them.

Bablu posted:

my auntie had one of these and continually hurled abuse at him and encouraged her children to do it too it was really tragic to watch

a rich couple in town just got themselves killed on their fancy motorcycle, makes u think
This week I am travelling to Amerikkka for the first time for an academic thing. Over the course of a month I am going to LA for a week, New Orleans, actual nerd event in D.C. for 5 days. After D.C. I have another like 10 days til i fly back from the twisted land of the Yankee, so probably go to NYC or something before flying back to LA-> back to The COlonies.

If anyone wants to say hi let me know, but be prepared, i am australian
i ll let sam harris know
[account deactivated]
i know this old hay field full of bramble and tommorow i am gona eat blackberries until i pop unless the ticks eat me all up first
did a bunch of yard work for my folks, found a drowned squirrel in their rain barrel poor clever thing managed to get past the covering
let me talk to her

shriekingviolet posted:

did a bunch of yard work for my folks, found a drowned squirrel in their rain barrel poor clever thing managed to get past the covering

dumpster diving discussion reached maximum gross out levels in only 3 posts. a new record.

My family has been keeping a newborn litter of kittens in their shed and unfortunately a rat snake ate one. My dad shot the snake and cut him open to verify. Sucks too cus he just bought snake bait that day.