The leeches are of course not wasting any time either.

https://ogletree.com/innovations/diy-arbitration

The landscape for arbitration agreements has changed in favor of using arbitration for employment disputes. Ogletree Deakins’ DIY Arbitration Agreements product provides employers with an automated tool to prepare arbitration agreements with class action waivers in mere minutes.

the landscape for arbitration agreements has changed in favor of sabotage
there's always been a secret tension almost no one knows about on the right between islamophobic reactionaries and the business community, because all that "creeping sharia law" stuff is actually just binding arbitration and any effort to ban it that doesn't unconstitutionally target a particular religion risks sweeping this stuff up along with it. I'm always half-tempted to play "lets you and him fight" with it (but usually resist since obviously the US right is schizoid enough to be totally islamophobic while also giving the bosses everything they want)
[account deactivated]
yeah you don't need a lot of knowledge or imagination to know how it actually would/will play out--anti-sharia statute gets stuck down to protect this case law, all the fash blame it on Political Correctness, islamophobia intensifies while post-legal economic exploitation continues unabated

Edited by thirdplace ()

MarxUltor posted:

The supreme court just ruled that your employer can send you an email saying "you are never allowed to sue us in court ever again and if you don't like it just quit" and it has full binding contractual legal effect and permanently removes your right to trial because you didn't voluntarily choose unemployment therefore you consented.

wow this is insane. the headlines i saw downplay it but the text of the article i just read lays it all out and it is fucking ridiculous.

i used to think that the gold standard (google ron paul) for the irrelevance of general american public opinion and experience was telemarketers. for literally decades they contributed nothing, irritated everyone and preyed on the senile before they were finally banned. but the health insurance industry is so much worse. these ticks have killed innumerable people but are buried so deep you'll never extract them even though nobody likes them. even our Sociopath Progenitor Lowtax immediately became economically Woke the moment he had to deal with a medical expense

cars posted:

Basically even within the confines of contracts under capitalism, health insurance in the U.S. is extraordinarily crooked and screwed with no enforcement whatsoever. It's as bad as the housing debt market was revealed to be in 2007-2008.

There is no chance of a public option or a single-payer system working in the United States because of the campaign-contribution & lobbying clout that allows private insurers to behave in this manner, not even to the extent those systems work in other Western countries where health care is treated as a constitutional right. Short of genuine revolution in the traditional sense it won't get fixed. The only way to solve the problem in the U.S. is to seize the machine of state, imprison Congress and outlaw private health insurance and likely private medical practice as well, so uh Communism i guess.

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

even our Sociopath Progenitor Lowtax immediately became economically Woke the moment he had to deal with a medical expense

good thing his girlfriend is in medical school

NFL just banned kneeling during the national anthem. Americans are so fascist and so fragile my god
Congress just passed a "right to try" law which is claimed to allow terminally ill patients to try non-FDA-approved drugs. This is commonly advertised as specifically allowing poor grandma with cancer to get that high tech wonder drug which would definitely save her if only those stupid "medical safety" laws werent in the way.

This sounds completely OK! But of course, as the man said, no investigation, no right to speak soooooo https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/204/text

“(a) Definitions.—For purposes of this section—
“(1) the term ‘eligible patient’ means a patient—
“(A) who has been diagnosed with a life-threatening disease or condition (as defined in section 312.81 of title 21, Code of Federal Regulations (or any successor regulations));
“(B) who has exhausted approved treatment options and is unable to participate in a clinical trial involving the eligible investigational drug, as certified by a physician,"

Well that sounds responsible. Just to be sure, lets check that CFR.

(a) For purposes of this section, the term "life-threatening" means:
(1) Diseases or conditions where the likelihood of death is high unless the course of the disease is interrupted; and
(2) Diseases or conditions with potentially fatal outcomes, where the end point of clinical trial analysis is survival.
(b) For purposes of this section, the term "severely debilitating" means diseases or conditions that cause major irreversible morbidity.

So here's a problem or two with this.
Strep Throat has a high likelihood of death unless the course of the disease is interrupted. In fact, virtually every condition for which a working class person would be willing to accept the financial risk of seeing a doctor for in the US is a condition which could, in the right light, be considered lethal. An infected toenail is a bacterial infection that, if untreated, will spread to the body and kill you. It could pretty reasonably be argued that depression or many other mental illnesses fall into this category. Babies with the flu. Old people with pneumonia. etc.

Congress left it open to political appointees at FDA to modify this at any time by allowing for "ANY successor regulations" to expand the potential list.

Because the requirement is that patients have "exhausted approved treatment" what this law does is state that from this point forward, there is no compelling reason for drugmakers in amerika to actually bring any drugs to approval for any newly discovered medical conditions. Get it through phase 1 trials and then start advertising it to doctors. If a new disease has no approved treatments, and can be considered to have a risk of death, every victim may then have access to unapproved snake oils. Manufacturers are fully shielded from any liability for harms suffered under this law, and any harms caused by such experimental use cannot be held against them in trying to get the drug approved later.

Edited by MarxUltor ()

the president: i am the law
the resistance: sir i give this five pinocchios
with all due respect, sir should be every democrats campaign slogan
next time some wad tells you trump isn't a real republican or whatever remind them that he has the highest own-party approval rating of any president except Bush immediately after 9/11. anyone who ever said he was too crude or extreme for republicans has never met one who didn't make $100,000+ a year
this trump guy sucks fuckin ass
[account deactivated]
truly the epic of complete failure
[account deactivated]
hashtag ominous events
speaking of latin america and nikki haley anyone know what's happening in nicaragua?

The United States stands with the Nicaraguan people.

catchphrase

Bloomberg is reporting that after the U.S. government reimposed sanctions on Iran that displace 1 million barrels of oil a day, they leaned over to Saudi Arabia and whispered “btw we need OPEC to increase production by 1 million barrels a day.” lol

because requesting a specific hike in production from OPEC is very unusual and makes Washington look desperate, especially in context of gas prices right now, they didn’t want anyone to know they’d done it. instead they had been trying to be spooky & vague about what was going to happen to offset Iran, probably in part because Russia has already proposed its own plan for increased production

Chthonic_Goat_666 posted:

speaking of latin america and nikki haley anyone know what's happening in nicaragua?

ortega’s still the president...? does the current white house need another reason to try to fuck over nicaragua?

we'll just see won't we sir! lady! sir! good day sir! my lady! good day! good day sir! *exits*
Ontario just got our own right-wing demagogue elected, Doug Ford, brother of infamous crack-mayor Rob.

Excited for minimum wage increase to be clawed back and mental health spending to be cut hooray
About six months ago everyone was saying there was no way Ontarians were so stupid and insane that they would elect someone as transparently crooked and obviously evil as Doug Ford, which was when I knew he would win with 100% certainty
E: Oversharing
Been daydreaming recently, imagining the liberal reactions of Trump winning in 2020 against all presumed odds, again. Can’t wait tbh
can he speed up with that please
as the first rhizzone poster to declare trump would become president, i'd just like to put my money down now on him getting a second term. buckle in folks
i guess that idiom is "buckle up" but you probably need like a whole racing/astronaut harness system, so, buckle in

drwhat posted:

as the first rhizzone poster to declare trump would become president,

i think that was actually americannazbro in like 2012

drwhat posted:

as the first rhizzone poster to declare trump would become president, i'd just like to put my money down now on him getting a second term. buckle in folks

well duh, why wouldn't he

Unless the Democrats figure out a way to not be boring

theyre gonna pick the ginger kennedy idiot and its going to be hilarious