i love TVP. it took a lot of optimization but at this stage i enjoy it as much as some well prepared pork. its also incredibly cheap and stays good for a long time in the dry state and is easy to prep in bulk.

here is the outline:
1. when hydrating the dry protein chunks do it with a big amount of good vegetable stock and salt/spice so the inside of the TVP is already saturated with some flavor before removing the stock
2. at this stage the texture will still be too watery and the flavor will still be a bit cardboard and soylike
3. bake those soy meat pieces in a pan, the bigger the baking surface the better. For flavor development add: horseradish paste, a few decent squirts of lemon juice (or anything acidic, which is crucial for promoting meatlike browning and meaty flavors). Spicewise I like classic stuff that fits well with meats like pepper, allspice, cumin, etc. + whatever extra stuff you like like soy sauce, syrups, sesame oil and the like. If you arent racist against MSG a big scoop of that stuff can be added to increase the savory meaty power.
4. Pork is really greasy and soy protein is very lean so also crucial is increasing the fat content with flavorful fat heavy stuff (aim for ~15-20 percent of fat by weight)- what works for me is a mixture of walnut margarine and tahini. Additionally the partial immersion in the molten fat will create a sort of in-situ marination while you cook.
5. bake until brown and crunchy on the outside but still soft on the inside.

and use wherever you would use pork chunks like in wraps, sandwiches, dumplings etc and finally enjoy piglet instagram without cognitive dissonance
[account deactivated]
i have loved and cared for many animals which i later ate

Caesura109 posted:

wait is this just response to stimuli that we are talking about? Because I don't think I can empathize if they don't even have a nervous system. or do they have like a proto-nervous system? how could we tell?

they have structures that convey information(using electrical or chemical signals) in the same way that an animal nervous system does. there is debate among plant physlogists as to how similar this is to an animal nervous system and whether it's appropriate to use terms like 'nervous system' for plants, but the basic things they can do are pretty well established. for example see this review article which talks about the concept of "plant neurobiology" in general http://www.esalq.usp.br/lepse/imgs/paginas_thumb/Reflections-on-plant-neurobiology.pdf

ocasionally there would be a lamb that was rejected, so we would attempt to "graft" the lamb onto another ewe, this means me taking a stillborn lamb, skinning in, wrapping the rejected lamb in the fresh skin of the stillborn one, then rubbing the fresh afterbirth and all the other birth slime all over it and presenting it to the ewe who had the stillbirth, who would hopefully accept the lamb as her own and raise it as her own. this is perfectly normal an occurs millions of times around the world on small farms for the ewe it is as if their lamb was never stillborn, for the lamb they get real milk filled with antibodies and goodness so it improves their chances compared to bottle feeding
seems like a pretty good deal for all involved

lenochodek posted:

i love TVP. it took a lot of optimization but at this stage i enjoy it as much as some well prepared pork. its also incredibly cheap and stays good for a long time in the dry state and is easy to prep in bulk.

here is the outline:
1. when hydrating the dry protein chunks do it with a big amount of good vegetable stock and salt/spice so the inside of the TVP is already saturated with some flavor before removing the stock
2. at this stage the texture will still be too watery and the flavor will still be a bit cardboard and soylike
3. bake those soy meat pieces in a pan, the bigger the baking surface the better. For flavor development add: horseradish paste, a few decent squirts of lemon juice (or anything acidic, which is crucial for promoting meatlike browning and meaty flavors). Spicewise I like classic stuff that fits well with meats like pepper, allspice, cumin, etc. + whatever extra stuff you like like soy sauce, syrups, sesame oil and the like. If you arent racist against MSG a big scoop of that stuff can be added to increase the savory meaty power.
4. Pork is really greasy and soy protein is very lean so also crucial is increasing the fat content with flavorful fat heavy stuff (aim for ~15-20 percent of fat by weight)- what works for me is a mixture of walnut margarine and tahini. Additionally the partial immersion in the molten fat will create a sort of in-situ marination while you cook.
5. bake until brown and crunchy on the outside but still soft on the inside.

and use wherever you would use pork chunks like in wraps, sandwiches, dumplings etc and finally enjoy piglet instagram without cognitive dissonance

this seems like a really cool idea but also a titanic pain in the ass

post 88 sniper
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Caesura109 posted:

Clearly, plants can communicate. But does that mean they can feel pain? It's a troubling scenario for salad lovers squeamish at the thought of eating foods with feelings, and for them the answer may not be that appetizing.

According to researchers at the Institute for Applied Physics at the University of Bonn in Germany, plants release gases that are the equivalent of crying out in pain. Using a laser-powered microphone, researchers have picked up sound waves produced by plants releasing gases when cut or injured. Although not audible to the human ear, the secret voices of plants have revealed that cucumbers scream when they are sick, and flowers whine when their leaves are cut .

There's also evidence that plants can hear themselves being eaten. Researchers at the University of Missouri-Columbia found that plants understand and respond to chewing sounds made by caterpillars that are dining on them. As soon as the plants hear the noises, they respond with several defense mechanisms .

For some researchers, evidence of these complex communication systems -- emitting noises via gas when in distress -- signals that plants feel pain. Others argue that there cannot be pain without a brain to register the feeling. Still more scientists surmise that plants can exhibit intelligent behavior without possessing a brain or conscious awareness .

https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/botany/plants-feel-pain.htm

Swtiching to eating rocks now

this is a terrible article delete this, what is this crap you are all posting about plants

lo posted:

http://www.esalq.usp.br/lepse/imgs/paginas_thumb/Reflections-on-plant-neurobiology.pdf

The use of the epithet ‘neurobiology’ in the context of plant life has, however, led to misunderstanding about the aims, content, and scope of this topic. This difficulty is possibly due to the terminology used, since this is often unfamiliar in the context of plants. In the present article, the scope of plant neurobiology is explored andsome of analogical and metaphorical aspects of the subject are discussed.

and another thing why didnt they just call it neurobotany, scientists are fucking morons,