about to get into ffxi lmdao
whats the deal with fortnite? like, why is everyone obsessed with it? ive played it a handful of times and i dont understand the obsession. explain the latest popular vg trend to me, rhizzoners
afaict it's pretty much for kids and that is most of the thousand million people playing it or whatever

the generation that grew up playing minecraft is imo probably pretty easy to lure into a game where your ability to quickly put together materials into a base matters and directly results in a competitive advantage (plus it doesn't hurt that shooting has always been pretty popular (and judging from US news is more popular than ever!!!11 (laugh track)))

you probably already know the back story but: fortnite is a point-by-point ripoff of playerunknown's battlegrounds, aside from the basebuilding mechanic, which was already proven to be hypersuccessful (budget: <$1m?, profit: >$100m) and it was clear that the mechanic was the hook for people, because the music, ui, animations, graphics, etc were all very garbage. putting a fisher price coat of paint on the almost exact same game is pretty much the perfect crime. watching video of fortnite makes me actually angry because of how blatant the theft is.

it also has Loot Crates and lets people invest money for virtual conspicuous consumption (as did PUBG) & gives you direct feedback that stings a little.

not liking it just means you aren't susceptible to the behavioural psychologists' revenue extraction design mechanisms (no corporate games are designed without them), so, good on you.

hmm. it seems that i am mad online about a video game.
yeah, all that you say makes sense, but lots of games have in app purchasing and it just seems oh so boring yet its this cultural phenomena where my friends who dont know anything about games ask me if i play it because its blowing up online and ending relationships and shit like destiny did. but at least destiny had the massive following of halo to build off of and gigantic ad campaign to boot.

i guess it does have the benefit of being free to download but thats obviously not important based on the fact that people spend a lot of money on it anyway. i guess thats how they get their nefarious foot in the door

Edited by TG ()

Fortnite is also the ideal game for streaming, Twitch now plays a huge part in the success of any multiplayer game.
pubg supremacy

drwhat posted:

afaict it's pretty much for kids and that is most of the thousand million people playing it or whatever

the generation that grew up playing minecraft is imo probably pretty easy to lure into a game where your ability to quickly put together materials into a base matters and directly results in a competitive advantage

this

source: my 6yo nephew loves fortnite when he's not playing roblox and occasionally still minecraft

breaking: video games are for children
Playing Creeper World 3... nice, mindless little game.

sbas17 posted:

Playing Creeper World 3...

Oh cool, so is it like a game that you designed, about y ourself?

Ruzbihan posted:

sbas17 posted:

in real life i am alone... please let me have my fantasy ;_;

Ruzbihan posted:

sbas17 posted:

i slept super heavily so i was feeling a little sad and disoriented when i woek up (at 5pm) but then i immediately got drunk and sunk 6 hours into ffxi and suddenly its midnight and i was feeling really disoriented at that point

Petrol posted:

source: my 6yo nephew loves fortnite when he's not playing roblox and occasionally still minecraft

anyone else remember when minecraft first came out and all the goons were raving about it as being the next dwarf fortress with no intuition whatsoever that it would be a multi-billion dollar children's game instead of a niche product for adult autists?

(at least thats how i interpreted the thread titles that i never ever clicked on)

goddamn game killed infrateal
rip
been watching someone play the new prey and it's just system shock but again

bored of first person shooters, send help
i just moved into my sister's house and the nieces are way into minecraft. they only have one account between them so I logged into my old account and now they can play online against each other and it's weird hearing them say "karphead" irl.
the new prey is quite good i m h o

thirdplace posted:

anyone else remember when minecraft first came out and all the goons were raving about it as being the next dwarf fortress with no intuition whatsoever that it would be a multi-billion dollar children's game instead of a niche product for adult autists?

i'm glad it did well, turns out building a little world in a little community & surviving together is a feeling that is good & it's good that lots of people got to experience that and share it. even now very few games actually let you have actual physical impact on a shared experience, except for the minecraft clones.

anyway now let's suck all the expressivity and connection out of that experience and juice as much money as we can get out of everyone for daring to hope they could see the impact of their own creative expression on even a simulated world. haha noobs!

dark souls 3 is really bad, sorry, dark souls 2 on the other hand is really good. i will never back down over this. games opinions
i doubt i'll ever get around to writing my dark souls and marxism essay so here's some hot takes instead

dark souls 1 is the capital vol 1 of the series
dark souls 2 is the capital vol 2 of the series
dark souls 3 is the state and revolution of the series

three endings of 3 as different responses to the endless crises of capitalism:
-relink the flame -- liberalism/fascism, mass destruction and restoration of the rate of profit, kicking the can down the road
-snuff the flame -- anarchism/petty-bourgeois revolutionism, attempts to suppress the expression of power needed for revolutionary transformation, capitalist restoration a foreseen inevitability
-usurp the flame -- marxism, dictatorship of the proletariat unto communism, leaving behind the fetishistic irrationality of the flame's cycle

edit: i even had a sweet name for it: "Marx Souls" (Prepare to Dialectics)

Edited by Constantignoble ()

also dark souls 3 is very boring

Constantignoble posted:

i doubt i'll ever get around to writing my dark souls and marxism essay so here's some hot takes instead

dark souls 1 is the capital vol 1 of the series
dark souls 2 is the capital vol 2 of the series
dark souls 3 is the state and revolution of the series

three endings of 3 as different responses to the endless crises of capitalism:
-relink the flame -- liberalism/fascism, mass destruction and restoration of the rate of profit, kicking the can down the road
-snuff the flame -- anarchism/petty-bourgeois revolutionism, attempts to suppress the expression of power needed for revolutionary transformation, capitalist restoration a foreseen inevitability
-usurp the flame -- marxism, dictatorship of the proletariat unto communism, leaving behind the fetishistic irrationality of the flame's cycle

edit: i even had a sweet name for it: "Marx Souls" (Prepare to Dialectics)

i want to make a longer reply but i just read the words 'Prepare to Dialectics' and my has brain halted permanently

Constantignoble posted:

what about bloodborne

hegel's demonology of souls

Kiyomonster posted:

what about bloodborne

dunno, that's a question for a console-haver

Constantignoble posted:

Constantignoble posted:

k, I thought that the 3 endings map onto the buddhist concepts of the cycle of samsara (yarnham sunrise ending), the bodhisatva ideal (honoring wishes), and the one where you become a baby squid being fondled as the doll is enlightenment

the citizen kanecapital volume one of video games
whats the citizen kane of films?
whats the dark souls of shark movies?

Edited by tears ()

I’m playing Morrowind
you like to dance close to the fire?

Dimashq posted:

I’m playing Morrowind

r u playing with OpenMW?

aerdil posted:

Dimashq posted:

I’m playing Morrowind

r u playing with OpenMW?

Nah I didn’t know about it til u just mentioned, maybe I’ll migrate my save if that works (I’m too far in now to start over). Honestly only problems I’ve had so far is the resolution (not that bad) and the fact that when selling to merchants I have to spend 10 min clicking the minus button to get my expensive item within the trader’s buying range lol.

there is some kind of fierce online war between people who like morrowind and people who like skyrim. my joke for this is that Marx quote about tragedy & farce. thank you for reading my post i appreciate it