this weekend I wound up in a conversation about star trek during lunch with the archbishop. here are the facts: he prefers TNG (respectable though incorrect) and thinks the new films are bad (correct.)
the only thing i remember about the new ones is the wrath of cumberpump's cool "shot down at warp" scene and how when kirk died the entire cinema made a synchronized wanking motion
my favourite DS9 episode is the mirror universe one where Kira is basically a sex-crazed Colonel Klink and Sisko gets the D(ax)

cars posted:

it's fucked up and true how the Ferengi are some of the best characters on DS9 but the only good Ferengi episode is "House of Quark"

major part of my motivation for registering was in order for me to say: The Magnificent Ferengi is also good

i think every episode where they jump up and down and screech like monkeys is annoying instead of funny. but when iggy pop agreed to play a character in that episode he wasn't into star trek at all and he made ira steven behr sit down with him and talk about it for hours as preparation for the part. which is funny to imagine
Good point about the screeching. Guess I'm just a sucker for "getting the band together" scenes. Had no idea Iggy wasnt into it, not it's even more bizarre....

i have never watched Star Trek.
Star Trek is so good dude
star trek is the only good television show ever made. it is utopian and comforting and reveals the historical contingency of such feudal-bourgeois notions as interpersonal conflict, existential doubt and shame before the big Other, destroying the concept of a transhistorical "human nature" as the sine qua non of narrative and event and positing its replacement where you and everyone you know are friends who explore the galaxy having adventures together
is the new one garbage or not

Petrol posted:

it's fine

drwhat posted:

is the new one garbage or not

it's fine

[account deactivated]

littlegreenpills posted:

star trek is the only good television show ever made. it is utopian and comforting and reveals the historical contingency of such feudal-bourgeois notions as interpersonal conflict, existential doubt and shame before the big Other, destroying the concept of a transhistorical "human nature" as the sine qua non of narrative and event and positing its replacement where you and everyone you know are friends who explore the galaxy having adventures together

so its sort of like cheers in space?

star drek
star crap
I dunno I like my Trek but it seems more like a distillation of liberal values then any kind of serious utopianism. There are fewer fights true, but you've still got the greedy admirals and misguided Federation gokns. Our heroes defeat and humiliate their enemies with the awesome power of classical liberal arguments, with Logic and Reason. It's like Steven Pinker's wet dream for the future rather than some post-revolution paradise, where we can ditch all the awful shit that comes with liberalism and seemingly without violence evolve into near perfect beings who are Always Right. TNG was awful for that, at least DS9 complicates matters a fair bit.
[account deactivated]
andwhere are they treking to?
i like star trek a lot but pretending it isn't anything more than Heart of Darkness/Out of Africa-levels of cosmo-colonial literature for middle-class white liberal nerds is just """insane""", to me
It's Just A TV Show
cheers is good

toyotathon posted:

i watched 10 mins and it seemed like another military show like BSG

the teleplay for the first episode is very bad. it's also the only one with a Bryan Fuller credit. he was also supposed to be the showrunner until he quit and perhaps we should call him, Bryan Fucker, because his bad script probably fucked the show's numbers forever

a while ago I was watching everything with famous genre actor Jeffrey Combs and now I'm watching everything with famous genre actor Brian Thompson, who got his first big break in The Terminator as "Guy Who Looks Like His Clothes Fit Arnold Schwarzenegger". his best-known role is probably the alien bounty hunter from X-Files but he played a bunch of aliens on the Star Trek, such as riker's klingon bromance, unnamed movie klingon and a lizard klingon from the wormhole level. Here ITT from ds9 though is the rarest Brian

*dozens of new posts in star trek thread* Let us see what the rhiZzone has to say about space travel

Petrol posted:

gay_swimmer posted:

Star Trek is so good dude

cars posted:

it's fine

lo posted:

star drek

sovnarkoman posted:

star crap

drwhat posted:

It's Just A TV Show

Chthonic_Goat_666 posted:

cheers is good

u uNtil nex t time

star trek isn't about "space travel", it's about getting horny for ears and stroking ears to suggest masturbation on TV
i realized eventually I will run out of every other Brian Thompson except for 8 (eight) episodes of Buff vampire slayers. a workday of Biffy vampire hunter. help
inject the buffy into your veins all at once

cars posted:

a while ago I was watching everything with famous genre actor Jeffrey Combs and now I'm watching everything with famous genre actor Brian Thompson, who got his first big break in The Terminator as "Guy Who Looks Like His Clothes Fit Arnold Schwarzenegger". his best-known role is probably the alien bounty hunter from X-Files but he played a bunch of aliens on the Star Trek, such as riker's klingon bromance, unnamed movie klingon and a lizard klingon from the wormhole level. Here ITT from ds9 though is the rarest Brian

i know him mostly as the evil leader from Cobra which is an extremely good Stallone action schlock from the 80s. go watch if you havent yet, highest recommendation.

drwhat posted:

inject the buffy into your veins all at once

i'll ozymandias this f'cky

Dimashq posted:

Let us see what the rhiZzone has to say about space travel

https://rhizzone.net/forum/topic/12930/

swampman posted:

Dimashq posted:

I see that you’re a Pluto fanboy

[account deactivated]

Dimashq posted:

swampman posted:

Dimashq posted:

I see that you’re a Pluto fanboy

https://rhizzone.net/forum/topic/12930/?page=2#post-284902

lmao
in 2008 avery brooks played Paul Robeson in the play, Paul Robeson. this is very good
i wonder who the secret foot fetishist was on the ds9 staff. originally the bajorans sensed your soul by rubbing your feet instead of pinching your ears and when bashir talks about the woman he left behind at the academy he goes on and on about her feet

cars posted:

this is also cool as a window into how straightforward and almost useful audience-testing and similar focus grouppy stuff might have been before it got transmogrified by corporations+technology+horrible people into the incomprehensible insanity that Metrics are now