because they suggest a brutal interstellar nazi empire forgot they were building a giant space station next to a planet for the sole purpose of oppressing its people and had to slap up a bunch of fences all over it the first week it opened
cardassian oppressor #1: great work on the plans Bill, but budget's asking why you designed our slave labor ore-processing plant around a two-story shopping mall.

cardassian oppressor #2: hey get a load of Louis Sullivan over here!!
We see the occupation through Kira's eyes, where every acquaintance was met in some resistance camp. There were probably large parts of the Bajoran population that were comfortable little Eichmanns who would love to stop by the Promonade after a long day unloading space trains full of space Gypsies. They were probably the ones who insisted on the fences being put up.

Shit, even the Kai was a collaborator.
the audience sees terok nor, and even kira on terok nor, mainly through odo's memories, and he worked for the cardassians

the only time kira's POV is featured in a terok nor episode, she's given a vision of the past by gods from outside of time and everything on terok nor is new information for her because back then she was three years old and living on the homeworld which is where she meets herself. sir,
i beat ds9 by watching the episodes rarely and in a random order. sometimes worf is there. sometimes something bad happens to obrien. once the klingons were bad guys again. its fun
I'd go into how depraved that is, but there's not exactly a lot of rep points flying around this thread, so why bother?
the only way to watch ds9 is from the beginning, in order, in a $2,000,000 living room designed to look like quark's

Soviet_Salami posted:

there's not exactly a lot of rep points flying around this thread

classic Rhizzone was held together by the khamsek/goatstein DS9 axis. few know this

you will pledge allegiance to the newest terrible star trek show, discovery, and all of its retcons

that show's fine
i like it but its all over the place. nothing makes sense and the first couple episodes are awful

when the big lorca reveal happened they should've just been like "eh" and kept him, the guy rules
sometimes i wonder how doohan would've reacted to the enterprise in this and the new movies
"We have this character named Dax who is held in high regard by the other characters. Everyone's always asking them for technical solutions, insight, wisdom or even just personal advice or help with their love life. But how do we reconcile this with our agreement that we need another young woman, preferably with some..." *roundly shapes the air*

...unless...we make her have a bug inside her that tells her smart stuff to say."

The producer nods approvingly. "People can respect the bug."
i'd like to take this opportunity to point out that the Minbari have a People's Revolution and politically geld their warrior and priest castes in favor of their Laborers, it rules
the only bad episodes are ones with trois mom and ones with the grand nagus. it is acceptable to skip those episodes and only those episodes
it's fucked up and true how the Ferengi are some of the best characters on DS9 but the only good Ferengi episode is "House of Quark"
Sorry this is about the next generation and not DS9: I watched the episode about the sex-slave 'metamorph' woman named Kamala and it was pretty bad.

I was looking into the episode and apparently Jeff Bezos named his dog after the character which is just vile.
I was re-watching the original series and the episode where Kirk gets split in the transporter and has an aggressively sexual & drunk doppelganger causing chaos around the ship has aged really well. The 'evil Kirk' tries to sexually assault Yeoman Rand, so they send her to the infirmary where the 'real Kirk' interrogates her about what happened and when she says 'you tried to assault me' he's like 'no, that's not true, that couldn't have possibly happened' sends her out of the room and then confides in Spock that he may have a doppelganger running around the Enterprise. Cool
]It blows my mind how right off the bat you have that episode, then the one where Mudd is sex trafficking... in space

I know it's the lowest level of cultural criticism to notice that a thing from the past is reflective of a reactionary sexual politics but goddamn

TG posted:

the only bad episodes are ones with trois mom

old women terrifying a ship full of weird sexless intellectuals by being horny is the best actually

the Troi's mom thing extended to DS9 though, which was about as flipped as you could get from the weird sexless intellectuals of the next generation while still being a Star Trek show, full of hot-headed horny bathroom smokers who openly resented and undermined each other, but old woman horniness was still presented with remarkable consistency as a form of mild psychological horror.

as was pointed out above, the DS9 showrunners put an old horny woman on the main cast too, and ok'd it by making the old horny woman a) not old, as Dax was portrayed by Terry Farrell in her early 30s using makeup explicitly changed from the last portrayal of that alien species to ensure her face wasn't distorted; 2) not horny, as the serene, learned "crone" part of Dax is contained within a sexless, unseen worm living in her gut; 3) not a woman, as her sexual libertinism and general assertiveness is described at every opportunity as following from her character's past life as a virile, curmudgeonly, tail-chasing man beloved by all, straight up to her marriage to a franchise legacy character that flowed out of a story where the xenophobic paragons of her future-husband's culture swore a "blood oath" together with man-Dax because he was just that cool.

the result was a character that could be exploited for on-camera lesbian makeouts while still ending up the least horny character to qualify for the opening credits. even the married couple with kids is hornier. When Farrell left the show, the character's and actor's successor in that weird setup was a mentally unstable, childish and incompetent therapist played by a woman seven years' Farrell's junior, one who succumbed over a single season to the charms of the smarmy young doctor with a James Bond complex who had chased Farrell's character for years, leaving the show's target audience with their vicarious creeper fantasies fulfilled. It's no big surprise that her official role within the show's world was the same as Troi's on The Next Generation, and made about as much sense.
i haven't watched any of the episodes with a replacement dax in them

come to think of it the ent-d crew wasn't entirely sexless, geordi and barclay both did weird pervert shit on the holodeck, and the equivalent of a normal crews' worth of horney was safely contained within the riker. but i still maintain that troi's mom cougaring relentlessly at everyone was a positive inclusion
has anyone in this thread irl had to deal with a horny old woman
we have enough threads about your wife in the archives already
the best part of Discovery is when the sleeper agent has to activate his suppressed memories as a gamer and starts yelling Owned at people and his girlfriend gets so upset she goes to the tattoo parlor
i like that the resolution to "whatshisname is a klingon secretly" is they ask his co conspirator to turn his human brain back on and she says "no" and they say "please" and then she goes "alright fine" and does it

what a waste of time

Horselord posted:

i like that the resolution to "whatshisname is a klingon secretly" is they ask his co conspirator to turn his human brain back on and she says "no" and they say "please" and then she goes "alright fine" and does it

what a waste of time

i'm sure she didn't really destroy his klingon mind or whatever, but this is still the worst plot device since rearden steel

Horselord posted:

i haven't watched any of the episodes with a replacement dax in them

come to think of it the ent-d crew wasn't entirely sexless, geordi and barclay both did weird pervert shit on the holodeck, and the equivalent of a normal crews' worth of horney was safely contained within the riker. but i still maintain that troi's mom cougaring relentlessly at everyone was a positive inclusion

ya, data and tng worf are volcel as fuck but picard has his romantic fling with the female indiana jones, geordi has his autistic love affair with the hologram of a prominent scientist, and dr crusher gets her groove back with an ancient scottish ghost. even wesley manages to have some minor sparks with ashley judd. but compared to the lascivious ferengi, worf and dax's vigorous sex life, the regular trips to risa, and bashir drooling over everything with a pulse, ds9 is far and away much hornier

i never got past the first episode of enterprise, largely because of the preposterous scene where two people have a "debriefing" while "decontaminating" each other by rubbing lotion all over their naked bodies. i can only assume its the sexiest star trek ever

as to my problem with lwaxana, its more to do with how annoying the actress that portrays her is. but now im wondering if im secretly a sexist/ageist. way to force me to question my deepest convictions, rhizzone!

worf helped terrorists trying to shut down the sexy planet because it was too sexy and because when he was a kid he head-butted another kid to death(?)

he also crossed a picket line and o'brien ran in and put hands on him

TG posted:

as to my problem with lwaxana, its more to do with how annoying the actress that portrays her is

she was Roddenberry's wife but IMO she wasn't to blame, she also played the first officer of the Enterprise in the original Star Trek pilot, she was Chapel on the old show and she did pretty much all of the computer's voice during the 1980s-1990s, and all of that was fine. the character was just aggravating and had way too many episodes built around her, like, they brought her back on DS9 for three whole episodes to be horny for the guy made of CGI jello, even though troi's mom had zero connection to anyone on the show except for o'brien and worf being like *tugs collar*

you can see the difference though in how the show portrayed Chapel being horny for Spock (pathos) and how they usually portrayed her horny TNG character (laughter and disgust)

i am now watching ds9 for first time.

Gssh posted:

i am now watching ds9 for first time.

...in 2018, right?

how i envy you your journey

this guy wrote the tribble episode on the old show and then later Roddenberry's lawyer gaybashed him out of the TNG office and he's also famous for saying that 'canon' for TV shows is a dumb fake idea so hes good imo.

anyway here's his prediction from 1999:

the tribble episode is really about Corn lol
a good DS9 episode is when sisko and o'brien get stuck on a planet colonized by a hippie ex-Federation cult where the leader doesn't believe in technology or medicine or doors and where people get punished by locking them in a sweatbox. every other star trek show's equivalent to sisko would have taken until discovering the box thing, or even until when they find out the cult leader is making everyone's technology useless in secret, to say anything but, now now, we have to understand and respect this society and its laws, instead as soon as sisko finds out the leader's philosophy in the first few minutes of the episode, he tells her Fyi this is all bullshit and proceeds to wreck her shit every chance he gets. then later when he gets locked in the box and the cult leader lets him out for a second and offers him some water if he agrees to respect their ways, sisko's like Lady, i prefer the box
Theory: the Pah-wraiths got their intense red eyes from being high all the time. The firecaves were just the grow-op where they grew their hydro Makara herb. The "fire" was just the reflection from all the aluminum foil and HID lamps.
that makes sense if makara herb was the cause of dukat turning into a bajoran. in fact it makes a whooooole lotta sense now that im thinking about it...on makara

Soviet_Salami posted:

We see the occupation through Kira's eyes, where every acquaintance was met in some resistance camp. There were probably large parts of the Bajoran population that were comfortable little Eichmanns who would love to stop by the Promonade after a long day unloading space trains full of space Gypsies. They were probably the ones who insisted on the fences being put up.

Shit, even the Kai was a collaborator.

This was the plot of one of the terok nor episodes. DID YOU Even watch the show???