dawkins is still the easiest though.
1960s: down to the countryside
2018: down to the fandoms

cars posted:

dawkins is still the easiest though.

how is anyone gonna know its him. theres 50 million ppl who talk like that, unfortunately

he will never be owned

swampman posted:

form an illegal underground wrestling circuit that demonstrates the science of Marxism-Leninism with ultraviolent panto

Danger Hoxha smashes a fluorescent light tube over the head of The Revisionist as a crowd of 20 rhizzoners don't cheer or clap but just nod in agreement

Edit: my ML wrestling name is Diamat Dallas Page
i've never watched wrestling or spoken with anyone who does, but i hear that there is a Peoples' Elbow
yes, but it's the special move of The Rock, who is petty booj
I think there are some cases where leftists (at least so-called) let things that Peterson says slide. Like I was listening to a zero books podcast (I know...) thing about Peterson, and they open with saying everything open anti-semite Solzhenitsyn said is true but what about violence in liberal revolutions??? Made me so mad.
that's more or less what zizek's gonna say and a shining example of the kind of symbiotic relationship JP types have with 'progressive' fake left orthodoxy
@ barbarosa hhis work has been engaged with to a degree far beyond what it deserves and beyond what any competent physician would deem medically safe

Edited by swampman ()

Parenti posted:

http://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/03/19/jordan-peterson-and-fascist-mysticism/

The author is correct in their general thesis but fails to recognize or address the necessary relation between this phenomenon and the institutions and ideology of the western establishment. Somehow this is the worst they have to say about Solzhenitsyn, a genuinely genocidal fascist, whereas with Jung they're ruthless

Solzhenitsyn, Peterson’s revered mentor, was a zealous Russian expansionist, who denounced Ukraine’s independence and hailed Vladimir Putin as the right man to lead Russia’s overdue regeneration.

i thought the mishra piece was kind of weak tea but joke's on me as it was the one to send jordan peterson into a furious tizzy on twitter in which he threatened to slap (himself?) happily, so shows what i know about literary criticism criticism

Aspie_Muslim_Economist_ posted:

I think my fav thing about Peterson is his belief that his interactions with men are informed by the implicit threat he'll fight them if they insult him--as if, as a middle-aged professor, male students are even subconsciously afraid that if they're rude to him he'll lunge over his desk at them, get knocked the fuck out in the ensuing brawl, and lose his job-for-life, all to avenge his precious honor.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Barbarossa posted:

Every leftist take on him that I have read has either been "he is dumb and wrong, trust me on this" or "he is dumb and evil, trust me on this." It's like there is a rule that you must not ever engage with his work and just throw poop at it like a spider monkey that is feeling threatened.

how do you post this after a half dozen pages of peterson being thoroughly debunked n destroyed?

[account deactivated]
258 posts about jordan otherkin, fucked up if true

misanthropic_rage posted:

Barbarossa posted:

Every leftist take on him that I have read has either been "he is dumb and wrong, trust me on this" or "he is dumb and evil, trust me on this." It's like there is a rule that you must not ever engage with his work and just throw poop at it like a spider monkey that is feeling threatened.

how do you post this after a half dozen pages of peterson being thoroughly debunked n destroyed?

I think a bunch of German Generals have signed up for this website, I haven't seen so many down votes for Barbarossa since 1941

marimite posted:

I think there are some cases where leftists (at least so-called) let things that Peterson says slide. Like I was listening to a zero books podcast (I know...) thing about Peterson, and they open with saying everything open anti-semite Solzhenitsyn said is true but what about violence in liberal revolutions??? Made me so mad.

the way to address so-called leftists is not to call them that

vykromond posted:

i thought the mishra piece was kind of weak tea but joke's on me as it was the one to send jordan peterson into a furious tizzy on twitter in which he threatened to slap (himself?) happily, so shows what i know about literary criticism criticism

that meltdown is extremely funny because not only does he make the obligatory 'threat' of violence but his entire objection is premised on a deliberate and tortured misreading of a line about how he is 'romancing the noble savage' to complain of racism. for a galaxy brain genius he sure seems enamoured of the generic playbook of the cornered fascist - 'No u!'

Honestly I think Peterson deserves discussing despite being an inferior academic and this all being the same tired trite shit, because I think he is another plank in the educated lib path to openly endorsing fascism. I think he is an overt bridge between the openly fash alt-right and the (in many ways more sinister) pseudo intellectual liberal pabulum you find in Pinker or Harris. Like we all know liberals will always work with the fascists and we all know that all of lib evo psych/new atheist stuff is reactionary at the core, but I don't think the obviousness and banality of the forms mean we shouldn't bother talking about it. It is similar to people like Pound and Eliot lending validity to fascism in the 20th century, but since history repeats as farce, instead of poets and writers we get kermit the frog yelling about lobsters.

rolaids posted:

Honestly I think Peterson deserves discussing

I think the most telling thing about this thread is that it hasn't even settled the question of whether its topic matters enough for it to exist. there's nothing that differentiates the guy from any other liberal fabulist with fash leanings except flash-in-the-pan notoriety that has little to do with anything he's achieved

[account deactivated]

Petrol posted:

This thread is the most momentous and intellectually stimulating thing jorden petermen will ever be responsible for

e: i was drinking when i posted this but i stand by it

Rhoon project: establish this thread as a key citation on Jort Peterson's wiki page

Edited by xipe ()

Thank you to Slipdisco for writing the JBP article,
that is exactly what I wanted and (poorly) posted for. Also,

swampman posted:

Barbarossa posted:
It reminds me of a post I made here years ago about how Communists should embrace popular mediums of entertainment like Professional Wrestling and make Communism relevant and relatable to average people through that medium, getting laughed at for pushing such a stupid idea, and then watching America elect a President that was in the WWE Hall of Fame. Like do you people ever actually engage with the people that you claim to represent because LOL man, I bet that tpaine and MAYBE goatstein are the only people on this forum that could pull off a respectable stone cold stunner, much less a tombstone piledriver or power bomb.

I wasnt on board with this until I realized that you're just saying that everyone here needs to stop wasting time and form an illegal underground wrestling circuit that demonstrates the science of Marxism-Leninism with ultraviolent panto

Please disable your ad blocker when reading my posts.

It would be the greatest show on Earth and there is a 1% chance that robert rodriguez would fund it.

Good jpb everybody. Jordan peterson killed himself last night with the broken shards of a Disney dvd. The path towards People's Victory is now clear and certain.

Petrol posted:

vykromond posted:

that meltdown is extremely funny because not only does he make the obligatory 'threat' of violence but his entire objection is premised on a deliberate and tortured misreading of a line about how he is 'romancing the noble savage' to complain of racism. for a galaxy brain genius he sure seems enamoured of the generic playbook of the cornered fascist - 'No u!'

the backstory there is interesting

Joseph made clear that, as thanks for what Peterson did for his family, he was blanketed and given a name—Alestalagie (“great seeker”). These are common ceremonies among the West Coast First Nations. Among my people, the Stó:lō, blanketing is done at the end of festivals and ceremonies to honoured guests. It doesn’t make them part of a family or part of the nation, but is a big step up from simply saying “thank you.” Giving somebody a name is even more significant...

It is surprising that these ties haven’t been investigated in print before, because the type of honour given to Peterson is profound. Since the interview, Joseph has asked me to remove mention of what Peterson did for the family—a request that I have to respect. I can say that it is what in other cultures you would call a mitzvah—one significant enough for the Joseph family to honour the man he now calls his brother.

https://thewalrus.ca/the-story-behind-jordan-petersons-indigenous-identity/

so, contrary to what I would have guessed, it isn't bullshit; it seems he was given a deep and significant honor for doing something important and good.

and then he used it to gussy up his bio and bookjackets and win arguments on twitter

feel like i'm just stating the obvious stuff that has been said before but reactionary politics are based on faded memories and dreams and nostalgia and sentimentality and carry all the problems that come with doing that. reactionary positions are fragmented and illogical, unmoored from what actually existed in reality and hold on to the hope that they can stop time from progressing, like trying to stop sand from slipping from your fingers

it does frustrate me a bit that, like mugabe glasses said, and i trust her opinion on this despite only knowing her from the internet, he does genuinely have a few useful things to say on the topic of psychology in a very limited box of expertise. but everything outside that box is such radioactive garbage that the whole thing is contaminated.

i watched a couple of his very old pre-fame lectures when he was just some goofy torontonian telling people about children's stories and difficult family situations and they're really pretty good, and he was a pleasant, skilled, positive lecturer. he looked completely different. i wonder what happened. (from what he's said, it sounds like he got super depressed and then his daughter suggested a semi-starvation diet to him and one thing led to another and here we are, now he's off telling south africans on the radio that it's awful, just awful, horrible, that white slavers are being dispossessed of their land.)
what happened is that a liberal raised with bourgeois values has a fascist inside them and they can either fight it every day they're alive, or not

drwhat posted:

it does frustrate me a bit that, like mugabe glasses said, and i trust her opinion on this despite only knowing her from the internet, he does genuinely have a few useful things to say on the topic of psychology in a very limited box of expertise. but everything outside that box is such radioactive garbage that the whole thing is contaminated.

i watched a couple of his very old pre-fame lectures when he was just some goofy torontonian telling people about children's stories and difficult family situations and they're really pretty good, and he was a pleasant, skilled, positive lecturer. he looked completely different. i wonder what happened. (from what he's said, it sounds like he got super depressed and then his daughter suggested a semi-starvation diet to him and one thing led to another and here we are, now he's off telling south africans on the radio that it's awful, just awful, horrible, that white slavers are being dispossessed of their land.)

don't forget the influence of continually researching and tailoring himself to what his audience wants to see and hear

Edited by slipdisco ()

he's not petting the cat, not canon
germanjoey, the infamous father of the Rhizzone clan,
would yall quit pickin on the kid who cam’t distinguish his dick from his lunchbox