Ukrainian fighter pilot accused by Russia of shooting down MH17 found dead in apparent suicide http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43457694
I just got an e-mail from tumblr (I had a tumblr many years ago):

your vigilant pals posted:

Update on Russian-linked activity on Tumblr

Dear [accountname],
As part of our commitment to transparency, we want you to know that we uncovered and terminated 84 accounts linked to Internet Research Agency or IRA (a group closely tied to the the Russian government) posing as members of the Tumblr community.

The IRA engages in electronic disinformation and propaganda campaigns around the world using phony social media accounts. When we uncovered these accounts, we notified law enforcement, terminated the accounts, and deleted their original posts.

While investigating their activity on Tumblr, we discovered that you either followed one of these accounts linked to the IRA, or liked or reblogged one of their posts:
1-800-gloup
bellygangstaboo
blackness-by-your-side previously known as: black-galaxy-magic, fullyfurrymiracle, u4guy, ufo-pilot-and-his-sexy-spouse
cartnsncreal previously known as: feelmydragonballs
everydaycutenesstherapy
gogomrbrown previously known as: go-mrbrown, infectedv0ice, todd-la-death
hustleinatrap previously known as: thenaturecanpost, tumblercube
info-mix previously known as: americanstatistics, crazypolitician, girlsagainst, illegalmom, just-stat, rochelbarr
lagonegirl
mooseblogtimes
morningwoodz previously known as: 5cubes, bangbangempire, empireofweird, gifemprireohh, innerpicsempire, picsempire
postingwhileblack previously known as: ghettablasta, heygeraldmartinjohanssen, honestinjun, nativewolveshere
sumchckn previously known as: blondeinpolitics, blvckcommunity, classylgbthomie, hwuudoin, politixblondie
swagintherain previously known as: blacklivesmatterusa, carzwithgirlz
thetrippytrip previously known as: matrixpath, themostpost
thingstolovefor previously known as: the-inner-mirror
voteforwest2020 previously known as: mrbadasscat
You aren’t in trouble, and don’t need to take any action if you don’t want to. We deleted the accounts but decided to leave up any reblog chains so that you can curate your own Tumblr to reflect your own personal views and perspectives.

Democracy requires transparency and an informed electorate and we take our disclosure responsibility very seriously. We’ll be aggressively watching for disinformation campaigns in the future, take the appropriate action, and make sure you know about it.

this is insane

i'm glad i'm on an fbi list now of people who liked feelmydragonballs' posts. great
so what kind of things were they posting
goku felt my balls

lo posted:

so what kind of things were they posting

i pretty much exclusively used my tumblr to reblog cool images, so, cool images i guess. but now i know they were evil, russian, disinformative cool images

I have heard that a good chunk of those blogs were just about how Black people are human beings who deserve the attendant dignity, which, like, no American could possibly believe that so it must’ve been sinister Slavic bots
US intelligence has a long history of being completely incapable of imagining that any dissent could be legitimate, always caused by the malign influence of evil foreign meddlers, they thought it about King and they thought it about Mandela and they think it about your grandma's eco friendly bakesale.

The fact that the state's subtextual inner excuse for silencing dissent has become the explicit text of the press establishment is I think evidence of the final apotheosis of the Pentagon's uncontested dominance, now they can openly impose the psychosis of their internal culture on the world at large instead of having to be coy about it.
A historian friend once told me that some of the big policy makers at the Pentagon in the 50s were absolutely convinced that Stalin had a mind control device or technique, in their writings they claim that it was the only possible way the USSR could continue to exist. While the particulars of their claims might have been discredited, the underlying attitude and rationale became an inherited part of the bureaucratic culture. Thus in some kind of funhouse mirror distortion of the nuclear arms race, a significant portion of the Pentagon has for the past 70 years been obsessed with bridging an imaginary mind control gap. You can see it openly today in the kind of projects DARPA & other spook grant programs are funding. If you find this difficult to believe remember that significant portions of the US police and intelligence community still take the thoroughly refuted polygraph machine very seriously.
petition to rename thread "ww3 countdown thread"
This drive to war is horrible.
Large sections of the ruling class have lost their minds and even the softest domestic peace Movements or detente moderates are cowering.

They are cutting off diplomatic channels and engaging in direct wars killing Russians on multiple battlefields while hooting to kill more.

I just hope that Russia showing some fangs with the superweapons will stir some of the saner ghouls within the deep state.
Imho there won't be a direct war because the Pentagon knows it is now so hyperspecialized around asymmetrical warfare that a real engagement with a similarly modern military would be devastating. There will just be a thousand more "justified" excuses to rain bullshit and misery on the rest of the world in perpetuity.

shriekingviolet posted:

Imho there won't be a direct war because the Pentagon knows it is now so hyperspecialized around asymmetrical warfare that a real engagement with a similarly modern military would be devastating. There will just be a thousand more "justified" excuses to rain bullshit and misery on the rest of the world in perpetuity.

The US killed lots of Russian mercs and syrians last month in an ambush.. Russia covered it up but has made commitments that it will shoot down US planes and ships if this happens again with regular troops.
The US has been positioning itself to do the same again.

What happens if this kicks off?

xipe posted:

What happens if this kicks off?

we're all fucked!!

Hypothetically if WW3 remains conventional, then the opening stages of the war would last like a couple weeks at most before the 10 billion dollar gizmos are all destroyed/spent. I read awhile ago that a single mechanized brigade requires almost constant maintenance and a huge logistical supply chain an order of magnitude larger than what was needed in WW2, so obviously mass production of modern weapons of war on the scale of WW2 is impossible since you can't feasibly make 100,000 M1 Abrams and deploy them on a "front". It would seem that conventional maneuver warfare would be limited and the war would be forced either to an early settlement after a trillion dollars in military equipment is vaporized by ballistic missiles or it would have to develop into nuclear "city trading" game of chicken to see which side folds first. This would all take place <1 year. Anyways, assuming humanity comes out the other side without going extinct, it seems like an interesting scenario to ponder; every war between Great Powers from 1870 to today has unleashed a social revolution, each time increasing in scale. So what I'm saying is, world communism by Christmas if war breaks out.
It would be a massive compression of a series of world historical earthquakes occurring within an extremely short period imo.
mr president, sir, we have incontrovertible proof that the russians are developing mind control technology, yes sir thats right, mind control technology, here let me show you *clicking redalert2.exe*

shriekingviolet posted:

this is bs as far as the navy and airforce are concerned if only cos asymmetrical warfare renders them completely useless and they havent liked it

the US navy drives their boats into each other on the regular and the air force's multibillion dollar superplanes explode on the runway. if a total war started the mass mobilization would incur 90% casualties before they even got to any fighting

Dimashq posted:

Hypothetically if WW3 remains conventional, then the opening stages of the war would last like a couple weeks at most before the 10 billion dollar gizmos are all destroyed/spent. I read awhile ago that a single mechanized brigade requires almost constant maintenance and a huge logistical supply chain an order of magnitude larger than what was needed in WW2, so obviously mass production of modern weapons of war on the scale of WW2 is impossible since you can't feasibly make 100,000 M1 Abrams and deploy them on a "front". It would seem that conventional maneuver warfare would be limited and the war would be forced either to an early settlement after a trillion dollars in military equipment is vaporized by ballistic missiles or it would have to develop into nuclear "city trading" game of chicken to see which side folds first. This would all take place <1 year. Anyways, assuming humanity comes out the other side without going extinct, it seems like an interesting scenario to ponder; every war between Great Powers from 1870 to today has unleashed a social revolution, each time increasing in scale. So what I'm saying is, world communism by Christmas if war breaks out.

I find this thought interesting because the lack of war clearly has something to do with the overwhelming stasis of society in the west. What would happen if this period of ossification ended?

Slides from the presentation the Theresa May gave other NATO EU Govs, who accepted the storyline and expelled diplomats.

Seems like these 'events'/media frenzies - from mh17 shootdown, to 'the election hack', to this 'chemical incident in London' (I'm surprised they didn't add the 'chemical incidents in Syria' to this, which they made sure to blame Russia for) - are each a cacophony of accusations that become solidified as we move on to the next story, forming a drum beat with an accelerating tempo.

The thing about it is there is never any proof at all, and never will be.
So there needs to be something outside of this setup if this process is to be stopped.
*looks at OOTB WordArt starring hexagons close to other hexagons* Devastating. Action this immediately
Prof. of organic chemistry (with a good reputation and impressive publication record in that field):

a234 has been in the NIST database since 98 (at the very minimum this means that this edgewood researcher has had a a234 sample to measure MS):

one of the FOLIANT main researchers admits that the weaponized chemical has been illicitly sold to several non-state actors in the past:
https://www.novayagazeta.ru/articles/2018/03/22/75896-rezhim-novichka
if you can read russian i recommend reading the whole article, it's very interesting

nerve agent poisoning is very easy to diagnose (as noted in theresa mays powerpoint lol) which easily discredits the theory that the perpetrators thought the poison would go undetected

etc etc

this story is an absolute joke
i think a lot of it comes from people in the West learning to treat brand names as sacrosanct, even for drugs. To them "Novichok nerve agent" is like Special K, they think that if it had any chance of being the store brand then 9 out of 10 doctors would be able to testify to it during a 20-second TV spot. i bet if you surveyed a sample from the same population on whether scientists could tell if mustard gas was used by the Syrian army or by ISIS by looking at a molecule of it under a microscope most of them would say yes.

Denying Hacking Germany, Russia Says It Only Broke Into Bundestag in 1945

https://www.haaretz.com/amp/world-news/europe/russia-denies-hacking-germany-last-time-we-broke-in-was-in-1945-1.5961705

DAMN
HamHorn.aiff
I'm surprised Putin stealing the Superbowl ring isn't on there. Probably don't want him to look too dope.
Only Russian wit can save us from World War 3.

littlegreenpills posted:

shriekingviolet posted:

this is bs as far as the navy and airforce are concerned if only cos asymmetrical warfare renders them completely useless and they havent liked it

strongly disagree; the navy's only purpose now is the pursuit of asymetric warfare as invincible battle patforms from which to launch planes drones and cruise missiles. Under convetional warfare conditions those carrier groups would be on the bottom of the ocean very quickly

similarly im sure the airforce fantasises about dogfights over the south china sea but they're just wagon drivers delivering missiles to weddings and funerals, fully reliant on the inability of their targets to shoot back, no one really knows how they would stand up to current AA systems, but it would be bad

https://ejmagnier.com/2018/03/28/will-america-accept-its-defeat-or-will-it-challenge-the-russian-bear-and-the-chinese-dragon-2-3/

One point (not citing anything unfortunately) made in this article is that the US military estimates that it won't be able to militarily defeated Russia after 2020.

I wonder if this hysteria and tension is because NATO is at a similar point to where its NAZI forefathers were in 1940: the closing window where they are still strong enough (according to the optimistic advisors they choose to listen to) to invade their rivals but know they will be eclipsed by them soon.
i wonder if nato can really stand the strain of belligerent anglos pissing all over everything, considering the "ooh sorry nothing we can do" official line on the brexit referendum result. if the UK is willing to immediately and in a shockingly disorganized fashion tear itself out of the EU/EC, then is it really unthinkable for some other state to "realign" itself outside of nato?

Turkey is already basically out in a lot of ways, the paper designation just hasn't caught up. but if some kind of russia-iran-turkey-deplorables axis solidifies, how will america be able to stop itself from starting ww3? they will be slavering over their red buttons.

(or is it that it's already solidifying, and what we see in the media is the part of the US-UK saliva that leaks out)

if some presumed friendly minor country withdrew from nato and publicly made it about being anti-war, it might help a little. but maybe nothing can help. except maybe China being such a huge threat that US-UK is paralyzed in fear
p.s. i am sick and apologizes if the above is garbage gargling (more so than usual)

xipe posted:

https://ejmagnier.com/2018/03/28/will-america-accept-its-defeat-or-will-it-challenge-the-russian-bear-and-the-chinese-dragon-2-3/One point (not citing anything unfortunately) made in this article is that the US military estimates that it won't be able to militarily defeated Russia after 2020.

I wonder if this hysteria and tension is because NATO is at a similar point to where its NAZI forefathers were in 1940: the closing window where they are still strong enough (according to the optimistic advisors they choose to listen to) to invade their rivals but know they will be eclipsed by them soon.

Anytime I ever read American think tanks on Russian military capabilities, it’s always that Russia is teetering on the edge of collapse/Syria is the next Afghanistan/Russia is a paper tiger. The one thing that’s completely unanimous across the board is that “China in the next decade is gonna fuckin roll us over in a war oh god oh god”

drwhat posted:

i wonder if nato can really stand the strain of belligerent anglos pissing all over everything, considering the "ooh sorry nothing we can do" official line on the brexit referendum result. if the UK is willing to immediately and in a shockingly disorganized fashion tear itself out of the EU/EC, then is it really unthinkable for some other state to "realign" itself outside of nato?

not sure the two are really comparable. the EU is fundamentally a bureaucratic body and so all it takes to leave is a formal bureaucratic process. nato is more like a mafia. you'd have better luck checking out of the hotel california.

Petrol posted:

drwhat posted:

not sure the two are really comparable. the EU is fundamentally a bureaucratic body and so all it takes to leave is a formal bureaucratic process. nato is more like a mafia. you'd have better luck checking out of the hotel california.

turkey seems to be in a good position to be helped out the door

Can't remember if it was this thread of Year One where we were pretending to care about Russiagate but I think this recently published PSL piece summarizes the intra class politics of it pretty succinctly https://www.liberationnews.org/past-point-no-return-russiagate-reorientation-u-s-imperialism/
god damn it someday I'll learn to use this site

Edited by rolaids ()

"We have not identified the precise source, but we have provided the scientific info to government who have then used a number of other sources to piece together the conclusions you have come to."

" it is not our job to say where it was manufactured."
it was smuggled into the uk inside a bale of marijuana