Jump!
Turn!
Pose!
Duck!
Jump!
Turn!
Pose!
Listen carefully
Buddhism was recently proven wrong when bitcoin found a way to make people greedy over nothingness

cars posted:

Buddhism was recently proven wrong when bitcoin found a way to make people greedy over nothingness

[account deactivated]
Damb
someone found a way to make bitcoin funnier
get a rope

Petrol posted:

It's cool that we live in a world with a global communications network of never before seen scope and speed and yet something we have known about for... three? years is now Freshly Discovered Shocking Discovery Hot News

shriekingviolet posted:

It's cool that we live in a world with a global communications network of never before seen scope and speed and yet something we have known about for... three? years is now Freshly Discovered Shocking Discovery Hot News

all it took for journalists to notice was a 10000% price increase followed by a press release for an academic paper. The system works

not everyone can have a getfiscal

cars posted:

not everyone can have a getfiscal

everyone ought to. a getfiscal in every home.

Donald-chan... (ToT)
Donald-chan (Maoist)
this is not financial advice. i am not a financial advisor. but in my opinion if someone can buy bitcoin then they should buy bitcoin. it is good in the most material sense possible. if it can successfully resist state actors then we'll have successfully mitigated like 99.99% of shady backroom government deals that cause so many problems. this technology can very realistically push us significantly toward something closer to the star trek universe. agree/disagree?

Edited by raptornomics ()

shit bro that s totally whack

I downvoted but on reflection every single thing in that post is wrong and that should be appreciated
okay. understood.
someone found a way to make bitcoin funnier
[account deactivated]

dizastar posted:

raptornomics posted:

if it can successfully resist state actors then we'll have successfully mitigated like 99.99% of shady backroom government deals that cause so many problems.

can you expand more on that?

i don't really want to. no offense.

Raptornomics, I appreciate your advice, don't listen to any nerds who want to tell you you're wrong but can't verbalize the reasons. That's just rudeness masquerading as knowledge - more of a self-deception if you ask me. My only quibble is that I think that value should somehow be tied to social reproduction and not to its opposite. (If I knew what a quibble was, that might lead me to flame you, so take that as implied.)
copy that swampman
[account deactivated]
Elon Musk can unilaterally drastically change the price of crypto, and let me tell you, i think that's a lot worse than the ghouls in washington, or the dorks in brussels, or the chads in beijing manipulating their respective currencies.
does anybody doubt that bitcoin was brought to us by the same people who made tor?
tor provides clandestine communication channels for the people who run it, and surveillance of anybody dumb enough to use it. bitcoin extends the same to financial transactions. though lately reading about how bitcoin mining uses more power than a bunch of small countries I can only think about how that infrastructure (GPU farms) is exactly the same thing needed to run state of the art machine learning algorithms. so if bitcoin abruptly crashes and those miners are forced to sell off their hardware for pennies on the dollar, I'll be expecting the imminent incarnation of the machine god what makes sure nothing changes ever again
the most effective criticism of bitcoin as a store of value, even beyond the abstract more philosophical arguments, is that the energy usage necessary to sustain it will literally kill the planet
on the other hand, if you had bought 1 bitcoin on may 1, 2013 for $116 when getfiscal made his post, it would now be worth $48,366
I had ~4-5 bitcoin on a laptop that I wiped in 2016
did u securely wipe it with zeroes/random numbers or just format it? it still might be recoverable if you did the latter and haven't written much data to it lol

a quarter of a million bucks probably makes the effort of cloning the harddrive image with dd or ddrescue and seeing what photorec drudges up worth it

Edited by aerdil ()

its a 2008 thinkpad and I've installed a dozen different operating systems since then, and probably zeroed it at least once. I'm also not sure if the wallet was on the laptop itself or an external hard drive that's long gone. might still be worth taking to a recovery place lol, though idk if you can trust them

anyway I was buying something in 2011. the price was so volatile and transactions took like 24 hours, so the rule of thumb was to purchase ~20% more bitcoin than you needed in case the price fell in the meantime. instead the price went up, and I wound up with the aforementioned 4-5 extra bitcoin. iirc they were worth a dollar or two apiece
haha fuck I remember I spent around $100 in april of 2011. looked up the price and I had wayyy more than 5 bitcoin leftover.
F
I definitely would have sold it for a couple hundred bucks
Just want everyone to know that I took Raptornomic's financial advice and invested my life savings - $700 - into bitcoin. Current mood, a little hungry.... for fat returns :) and groceries
[account deactivated]
people really care about bitcoin and really care when other people care about bitcoin, they love to talk about bitcoin, promote bitcoin, laugh at people who promote bitcoin, score some points, make a play for clout, say its bad, say its good, say its stupid, say whatever - but the one constant is they are obsessed with it, hypnotized by the $$$. functionally both sides feel no different from your uncle who talks about how he almost bought shares in microsoft in the 80s or whatever. fortunately even though bitcoin-hypnotism is save vs spell at -4, you get to roll an attempt to break free at the beginning of every round from today until the final destruction of reality or your meat-death, whenever one comes sooner
i was done with internet fake money after egold folded, as i was able to make real world cool friends who could supply my contemporaneous demand for molly. also i don't believe in having money i didn't get paid for contributing to society, or investing money, and am very boring and moralistic so bitcoin has nothing to offer me