the cambridge analytica story was pushed hard weeks after the election and then fell by the wayside once they settled on the russia stuff as the most convincing alibi. for some reason the news stories I've seen are calling this new development a data breach when it looks like CA just violated facebook's ToS?
https://www.channel4.com/news/cambridge-analytica-revealed-trumps-election-consultants-filmed-saying-they-use-bribes-and-sex-workers-to-entrap-politicians-investigation

the cambridge analytica is getting a little more interesting but unlike channel 4 i find it hard to take nix's puffery at face value. have they already forgotten the whistleblower's story about how they set up fake offices in cambridge just to impress steve bannon? it's very likely nix is just rolling out the 'our brand is crisis' pitch to suit his would-be client. the way these secret recordings are being built up into a breathlessly reported scandal reminds me of project veritas
as usual the Web site is the problem

kinch posted:

for some reason the news stories I've seen are calling this new development a data breach when it looks like CA just violated facebook's ToS?

yeah. it was a third party, an academic called kogan, who collected the data legitimately and then sold it to CA in violation of the ToS.

using big data to develop The Perfect Political Argument is every liberals dream so i dont know what they're whining about

Petrol posted:

i think the importance of social media is overblown by journalists for the simple reason that it's had such a massive impact on their industry, which they in turn think is far more important than it really is. not to say propaganda isnt effective or media isnt important at all, just that material reality is fundamental rather than the stories told about it

the fake reality is still pretty important

*Curtis, A. (Director). (n.d.). Hypernormalisation.

winebaby posted:

Petrol posted:

i think the importance of social media is overblown by journalists for the simple reason that it's had such a massive impact on their industry, which they in turn think is far more important than it really is. not to say propaganda isnt effective or media isnt important at all, just that material reality is fundamental rather than the stories told about it

the fake reality is still pretty important

*Curtis, A. (Director). (n.d.). Hypernormalisation.

Lol. The thing is, the 'fake reality' IS important, insofar as that's what culture is - the collective dream/nightmare. In this regard I think Takashi Murakami's description of postwar Japanese culture as 'superflat' is more telling than anything Curtis talks about. The post-9/11 retreat of mainstream western culture into what was previously considered children's media (superheroes, video games etc) is indicative of a similar malaise.

[account deactivated]
the collective psychosis around this is hilarious. its headline news atm across the western world that there is a 'movement' to delete facebook accounts because russia. pizzagate-tier posts on reddit about every possible connection between zuckerberg and anyone who even looks or sounds a bit russian. itd be funnier if the russophobia wasnt reaching fever pitch on other fronts too like around the poisoning thing in pommyland. Watch zuzk start a fucking war i guess

tears posted:

lots to unpack here

[account deactivated]
it sure is something to see liberals spend 2+ years crowing about how Trump is the New Hitler, then nary a word on 4 fucking mailbombs to black families in Austin, while big ol' crocodile tears over Facebook and the FBI man not getting his pension

shapes posted:

4 fucking mailbombs to black families in Austin,

i wondered why i hadnt been seeing more news stories about something like this happening in the US, but because it was in the US i hadnt bothered actually reading any of the stories i did see to find out why

apparently they shot the mailbombing guy just now
he blew himself up.
as one does when one is a mailbomber i suppose

le openly posting about being the austin bomber on reddit face
The shiny, embossed letters announced the great wealth of literature within: TOM CLANCY
it's cool that reddit runs the biggest donald trump fanpage on the internet and the users complain that it's allowed because the chuds buy a lot of reddit gold but really the motivation is solely the lib tic to need to validate power
• SWAT members approached the vehicle, and the suspect detonated a bomb, killing himself and knocking back and injuring a SWAT member, Manley said.
• President Donald Trump tweeted: "Austin bombing suspect is dead. Great job by law enforcement and all concerned!"
The blog espouses some political beliefs, including entries describing why the author believes gay marriage should not be legalized and why the United States should do away with sex offender registration.

"I am not that politically inclined. I view myself as a conservative, but I don't think I have enough information to defend my stance as well as it should be defended," a description of the writer reads. "The reasons I am taking this class is because I want to understand the US government, and I hope that it will help me clarify my stance, and then defend it."

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

The blog espouses some political beliefs, including entries describing why the author believes gay marriage should not be legalized and why the United States should do away with sex offender registration.

"I am not that politically inclined. I view myself as a conservative, but I don't think I have enough information to defend my stance as well as it should be defended," a description of the writer reads. "The reasons I am taking this class is because I want to understand the US government, and I hope that it will help me clarify my stance, and then defend it."

first as tragedy then as farce lmao. Industrial Society and Its Future and then this dude.

[account deactivated]

I once read a great wealth of books - my favorite authors have been John Grisham and Tom Clancy.

just another reddit intellectual

Petrol posted:

https://www.channel4.com/news/cambridge-analytica-revealed-trumps-election-consultants-filmed-saying-they-use-bribes-and-sex-workers-to-entrap-politicians-investigationthe cambridge analytica is getting a little more interesting but unlike channel 4 i find it hard to take nix's puffery at face value. have they already forgotten the whistleblower's story about how they set up fake offices in cambridge just to impress steve bannon? it's very likely nix is just rolling out the 'our brand is crisis' pitch to suit his would-be client. the way these secret recordings are being built up into a breathlessly reported scandal reminds me of project veritas

just getting back to this for a moment, finally ran across some healthy skepticism: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-cambridge-analytica-20180321-story.html

As he tries to make sense of it all, David Karpf, a professor at George Washington University who specializes in digital advocacy, says Cambridge Analytica is looking less like a mischievous genius than a mischievous amateur. He compares the firm's alleged Facebook intrusion to burglars who set out to rob a vault full of diamonds and end up hauling home a bag full of worthless cubic zirconia.

"But even if the robbers only got junk out of it, it is still a crime," Karpf said. "And it is still concerning that the vault was so easy to rob."

he's wrong afaik, it wasn't a crime for CA to buy the data, but it's still a funny metaphor

[account deactivated]
cambridge analytica, oxford blockchain, windsor vape solutions

jansenist_drugstore posted:

a hedge fund billionaire who built his fortune creating a formula of algorithms and equations for investing that only a select group of math geniuses understands.

lol yeah i love how that explanation is taken at face value as though it's never been used to cover for flagrant corruption before

John fucking Bolton for Security fucking Advisor

xipe posted:

John fucking Bolton for Security fucking Advisor

Iran "hacks" American universities

You know, at least imperialists in the 19th century had to do complex political maneuvering to manufacture a casus belli. Now, I don't think Americans could produce a diplomat worth a 1/100 of what Bismarck was, nor do they need to, since apparently all you have to do is point to some dumbass professors who had "pwd123" as their password and claim mass espionage. imagine having to sit in a class in 2200 about 21st century diplomacy and inter-state relations lol nothx.
considering how surprising it is to a lot of people that Trump’s administration has been more Obama than Bolton on the deal with Iran, I wonder if his advisors talk openly with him about how long-term forecasts put Iran in the top 5 countries for GDP growth from labor (much of it highly skilled) which they have surely read

I also wonder if Bolton in his new position will change anything, as he doesn’t seem like much of a facts & figures guy and role creep seems like a big problem for the White House right now. Like, he probably doesn’t give a fuck about demolishing a future target for university-educated labor exploitation if he gets to bomb some Persians, and his superior skill at Washington maneuvering might crowd out anyone still focused on those forecasts. There’s still time for Trump to make a fool out of me as an Internet prognosticator on a forum of ~20 people

Petrol posted:

a hedge fund billionaire who built his fortune creating a formula of algorithms and equations for investing that only a select group of math geniuses understands.

lol yeah i love how that explanation is taken at face value as though it's never been used to cover for flagrant corruption before

The idea that traders at big-name houses are math whiz computer-model savants, instead of intramural sports dunces from rich families poking away at terminals set up to facilitate cons they don’t understand, is one of those ideas you’d think even liberals in the news media would have tossed out after the 2007 crash, out of envy if nothing else

I suppose it’s because the finance industry press is at its own unique level of coziness and ass-kissing about the qualifications of its subjects, maybe even beating out reporters in Washington, D.C. In finance news, those written about can make bad calls, be the wrong person for that particular job or maybe be out of touch and past their glory days, but usually, even the known convicted con-artist criminals with forged credentials are treated as geniuses

cars posted:

Petrol posted:

The idea that traders at big-name houses are math whiz computer-model savants, instead of intramural sports dunces from rich families poking away at terminals set up to facilitate cons they don’t understand, is one of those ideas you’d think even liberals in the news media would have tossed out after the 2007 crash, out of envy if nothing else

I suppose it’s because the finance industry press is at its own unique level of coziness and ass-kissing about the qualifications of its subjects, maybe even beating out reporters in Washington, D.C. In finance news, those written about can make bad calls, be the wrong person for that particular job or maybe be out of touch and past their glory days, but usually, even the known convicted con-artist criminals with forged credentials are treated as geniuses

back when I was at the heart of the beast of this bullshit, i did find out that there are some math whiz computer-model savants, but they don't do trading themselves. there are traders (getting phased out of existence as much as possible and replaced with algorithms), but they are definitely not the math people. traders in the 21st c are absolutely just salesmen (i did not encounter a female trader). i've gotten into this in detail in other posts, but their job is primarily calling up "the buy-side", i.e. the investment portfolio managers at pension funds, sovereign funds, hedge funds, wherever, and trying to convince them to buy a thing because They Have Such A Hot Deal Right Now.

"I actually knew Apple was going to tank so I bought up a bunch at 120 at open and I can sell it to you for that right now. It's already at 124 and going up. What do you say??? What are you, some kind of cuck??? HAHAHA I knew it I got your balls!!! Ok trade in!!! Thanks a lot Chuck see you at the bar tonight." (Investment banks are no longer allowed to officially make money on their own trades ("proprietary trading"), but they can make money off of this sort of thing.)

Anyway blow it all up, obviously

drwhat posted:

back when I was at the heart of the beast of this bullshit, i did find out that there are some math whiz computer-model savants, but they don't do trading themselves

yeah thats also what i found out.

renaissance capital's medallion fund is also an exceptional case. No other hedge fund has come close to replicating their success (outlandishly large returns almost every year of its existence, including 80% in 2008).
favorited some tweets making fun of the CIA for trying to make their new torturer in charge Woke by means of pointing out that she's a lady, then deleted them to avoid getting on a watchlist as though i were not already for being the troop loathing sociopath on the schizophrenic communist offsite. love to live in a free country