i hate running but realize that cardio is important, or you just get a layer of fat over your muscles and then nobody can see that definition you work so hard for. for my cardio i try to bike around town but unfortunately my job makes that difficult - its hard to bike in a suit without getting it filthy and they dont really have a changing room in the courthouse.

my main source of cardio exercise is ice skating. unfortunately the rink in town has limited hours for public skating, so i usually only get to go once a week for about an hour but i really enjoy it. its a fluid motion so pretty low impact on joints and bones. you can moderate your own pace and, like biking, if you stop moving your body parts you dont actually stop moving. that does lead to some laziness but so it goes.

a couple of years ago i heard about a ice skating marathon some folks held on a large reservoir in the mountains in january. i missed the deadline for that one but unfortunately they didnt hold it the following year. im hoping they bring it back because it sounds amazing, although ive never skated outside on ungroomed ice before

i imagine its not as good exercise as running but, as they say, the best kind of exercise is the exercise you actually do

swampman posted:

You are all going to be enrolled in my run camp at gulag

i dont tink there;'s any really safe way for me to run seriously w/ fucked up meniscus, ACL,LCL, etc mbujt id love to know if there is
ice skating seems cool and all but how is it fun or relaxing or possible to stand up on 2mm wide metal blades??? ideology, i claim

chickeon posted:

i dont tink there;'s any really safe way for me to run seriously w/ fucked up meniscus, ACL,LCL, etc mbujt id love to know if there is

FOAM ROLLER

i like swimming way more than running
swimming is definitely easier on your body than running, a great way to exercise for people with bone & joint problems, but I still prefer running because i like experiencing the outdoors while i exercise better than being in a echoing warehouse full of strangers in their underwear.

TG posted:

i hate running but realize that cardio is important, or you just get a layer of fat over your muscles and then nobody can see that definition you work so hard for. for my cardio i try to bike around town but unfortunately my job makes that difficult - its hard to bike in a suit without getting it filthy and they dont really have a changing room in the courthouse.

my main source of cardio exercise is ice skating. unfortunately the rink in town has limited hours for public skating, so i usually only get to go once a week for about an hour but i really enjoy it. its a fluid motion so pretty low impact on joints and bones. you can moderate your own pace and, like biking, if you stop moving your body parts you dont actually stop moving. that does lead to some laziness but so it goes.

a couple of years ago i heard about a ice skating marathon some folks held on a large reservoir in the mountains in january. i missed the deadline for that one but unfortunately they didnt hold it the following year. im hoping they bring it back because it sounds amazing, although ive never skated outside on ungroomed ice before

i imagine its not as good exercise as running but, as they say, the best kind of exercise is the exercise you actually do

Roller blading is supposed to be incredible cardio, based on that rumor I can't recall the source of I'd say, strongly recommend

biking is the superior form of excercise/travel and i don't know what the fuck swampman is on about running for

shriekingviolet posted:

a echoing warehouse full of strangers in their underwear.

toss in some mdma and this sounds rad

lifeguards will yell at you though if you're obviously on mdma, which is why swimming sucks.
last time i went to an aquatic centre it was years ago with a couple of young pals who plied me with enormous amounts of weed and i have to say it was pretty fun.

drwhat posted:

ice skating seems cool and all but how is it fun or relaxing or possible to stand up on 2mm wide metal blades??? ideology, i claim

thats why i make it a point to never stop moving my legs. i have spent maybe 10 seconds total standing still on my skates in the last two years. keep them legs pumping

ive only fallen down a couple times and once it was because i crashed into a little girl, about 8 or 9, whenshe swerved right in front of me. i made sure she was ok and then skated the heck away because my job has made me very wary of interacting with children im not related to

drwhat posted:

you can get one of those plastic seal things that they give the kids to stop them from falling over

just came across a new workout supplement scam: "sweating gels," which appear to be capsacin that you smear on yourself. i'm sure they work to make you sweat more, but it doesn't really mean you're losing more weight. do not use this if you don't need to like make weight for a boxing match or something, and then also do not be in a boxing match
reminds me of when people were selling big doses of niacin as an anti-toxin and treatment for radioactive fallout because of the phrase "niacin flush", in which "flush" refers not to "flushing your system" but to a burning sensation and reddening of the skin. the Scientology front groups were real into that for years
Bump. I got some knee stress and decided to stop running for a few weeks. I've got an ok replacement cardio thing going at the gym now, I do a long set on the rowing machine, then bb squat presses, kettlebell swings and dips, 4-6 sets total. Coming from a broken arm earlier this year means my grip and wrist are weak and these exercises help. I hope you are all getting strong.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Bump, i'm huge now, in terms of size
Who else love to work out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

swampman posted:

I appreciate and welcome your new & larger size.

i hate my knees and like running outdoors. running with dogs, is the best. gyms are a shit. well, thats all

swampman posted:

i'm working deadlifts back into my routine after not doing them for a year because of back issues. feels good man.

karphead posted:

i'm working deadlifts back into my routine after not doing them for a year because of back issues. feels good man.

I did a lot of deadlifting too!! I do a superset with the seated dip machine. Then pullups + db pullovers + squeeze press. Instead of db on the squeeze press I use two plates pressed together in my flatted hands, to emphasize the squeezing part. For some exercises, i Am Exceeding 20% of The World Record

Edited by swampman ()

A quick unironic thank you to this thread and everybody in it for helping me restart my personal exercise perestroika after a long period of inactivity.
"A grown adult who is convinced that his ability to function at the most basic level in the weight room will make him "more revolutionary," ineffectively embodying the workout montage in his private superhero's tragic backstory, who may in fact be relatively correct given the anomic immobility of much of the forum."

best shout out I ever got
Hello work out thread,

As I learn more about turning giant, I found it helpful to think about me biomechanics this way. Maybe some of you who are just considering motion for the first time, can find this useful for improving their posture and protecting their lower back at all times..

Here is the musculature of the average rhizzone user:

It is really helpful for me to try to maximize the area of the green rectangle, and push it forward, rather than work direclty on closing the red rectangle circumscribed by my lats and butt. This is something that I can work on just while I walk around: leading with my hips while keeping the bottom of my rib cage up. Along with making my spinal column straight and vertical, this helps stretch my tensor faciae latae ont he front of my hip, which releases tension in my IT band. And, it keeps my shoulders back and together which helps my neck ride upright. A++++ Would recommend
Picked up "Strength Training Anatomy" by Frédéric Delavier and thinking about getting a couple of the follow up books already. Delavier's reputation as an illustrator is earned as fuk, it's very clear how each movement begins and ends and how each muscle contributes. I am deadlifting tomorrow so today I used the book to arrange an arm and chest workout that attempted to spare my lats and abs:
Biceps - alternating sets of incline DB curls (long head of biceps) and hammer curls (brachioradialus), then high pulley curls (short head of biceps)
Triceps - Lying DB triceps extensions, then triceps dips (recruiting the pecs) then cable triceps kickbacks
Chest - DB flys and incline DB flys alternated with close grip DB presses, then lots of cable crossover flys

Whereas eg. bench press would involve me over recruiting my lats and back until I gravely injured myself dropping the bar. My maximum weight used today was 25lbs, on the cable crossover flys. and 15lb dumbbells. One easy way to make your workout tougher without increasing the weights is to pause at each contraction and hold it for 1-2 seconds. this especially satisfying with the cable crossover flys

Finishing each series with cable exercises helps to hit parts of the muscle that are not heavily recruited in overcoming gravity, and to allow body positions that isolate the worked muscle.

I hope ou are all winning the battle against atrophy and bed sores
i had a pretty good hike up the world's second largest granite monolith this weekend. figured if mountain climbing was good enough training for che and his revolution, its good enough for me.
i adore hiking in the mountains. there's definitely an alternate timeline where instead of becoming increasingly tankie and frantic as I burn out, I just give up move to a small town in the rockies and work a parks job feeding tourists to bears in between bong rips
[account deactivated]
i worked out and i ate ok today.
i ate a big tub of pringles for breakfast but i'm going to burn it off by riding my bike to a junk shop in another town
i miss living in boulder because the mountains were like a ten minute bike ride from my house. now im 25 whole miles away from the nearest trailhead with any sort of elevation gain. life is so hard
the netherlands is legit the most fucking boring place to ride a bike though the countryside because every road is completely flat and arrow streight
[account deactivated]