bit188 posted:

i haven't installed fail2ban but i turned off password authentication for ssh and just manually add keyfiles between my computers

id love to do this but in the mean time its just for my wheel users while i have to host shell access and email to ppl with regular password for convenience' sake.

I also use the skibbeldeedee with the cyber access door 2000 dot com to secure my wibbleys from unauthorised plonking.
now thast a good crypto
[account deactivated]

Petrol posted:

soon you will be able to download electronic books in a completely secure environment

i took this to mean i was going to be added to the pdf subforum and i am very excited

http://freedom-to-tinker.com/2017/11/15/no-boundaries-exfiltration-of-personal-data-by-session-replay-scripts/?imm_mid=0f852c&cmp=em-na-na-na-newsltr_four_short_links_20171120
Morpheus: Free your mind.

Morpheus jumps from one building to another a long distance away

Neo: Whoa.
Computers are so fukken dumb lmao, nerds, Fuck and Destroy!! *plays Hearthstone for a solid 18 hours*

bit188 posted:

i took this to mean i was going to be added to the pdf subforum and i am very excited

i think i got owned lmao. gomen

Edited by graphicalUSSRinterface ()

bit188 posted:

bit188 posted:

i think i got owned lmao. gomen

Edited by bit188 (tomorrow 09:38:54)

welcome to the pdf forum, brother

parabolart posted:

Computers are so fukken dumb lmao, nerds, Fuck and Destroy!! *plays Hearthstone for a solid 18 hours*

is he still doing this

i have a four year old lenovo laptop that runs like total ass, i think im going to try putting a linux on it. or a mac os. someone suggest somet hing
[account deactivated]
put a meme on it

stegosaurus posted:

i have a four year old lenovo laptop that runs like total ass, i think im going to try putting a linux on it. or a mac os. someone suggest somet hing

the thinkpads i use every day are almost 7 years old and they run great with linux

im trying xubuntu. (seeing tpaine approach) im also trying florgelstomp, zoboomafoo and lllllllllllll
the thinkpads i use could probably run win10 fine though so maybe you don't have enough ram, try 8-16gb+ssd
i installed arch linux because i figured it'd turn everything into the computer equivalent of locksports but it just works. you just read the wiki and do what it says and it's fine

they've ruined linux by making it work properly

bit188 posted:

the thinkpads i use could probably run win10 fine though so maybe you don't have enough ram, try 8-16gb+ssd

this. if you're complaining about an old laptop's speed and it's still using an hdd bump it up to ssd and you'll definitely get more life out of it. i have an old lenovo netbook (x120e) that's running win7 with no problems.

yea i'm on a dell latitude from 2008 and it boots in 3 seconds with an ssd. the only thing about it that sucks is the screen and that it gets like, one and a half hour battery life

Horselord posted:

i installed arch linux because i figured it'd turn everything into the computer equivalent of locksports but it just works. you just read the wiki and do what it says and it's fine

they've ruined linux by making it work properly

arch "just works" way better than ubuntu i've found

bit188 posted:

arch "just works" way better than ubuntu i've found

yea seriously, i even plugged an old monoprice drawing tablet in and it worked immediately. this laptop has weak af usb ports and can't handle unpowered hubs under windows but arch doesn't give a shit

[account deactivated]
im going to put a sticker on my laptop

tears posted:

im going to put a sticker on my laptop

i just did that https://imgur.com/a/5cxnO

trying to figure out how to speed up x11 forwarding over ssh so i can read pdfs from the living room

toyotathon posted:

how many years have yall be at linux/coding. i've run ubuntu the past year and started my first non-excel coding project, how long until i'm cranking out perl and whatnot

I was a programmer for a while, went to school for it too. So I'd say about 8 years, but I've been working as a fry cook for a couple years now.

If you're looking for a place to start check out Arduino. It's pretty accessible, plus you can integrate it into other projects if you're a DIY type, tons of documentation for beginners too. Also, it's in C, which is a good mother language to learn programming with, even if it is a bit of a steep learning curve/minefield. Is good for you, make strong.

Anything you know about perl, even its name, should be forgotten.

Theodor Arduino
check oout my excellent web based OS
we're (we're) ready (ready) to (to) party! we're ready to party we're ready, i hope you bring lots of spaghetti, come on in come to the place where fun never ends, come on in its time to party with garfield and friends. dancing (fiesta!) romancing (siesta!) samba (la bamba!) ay caramba! disguises (disguises) surprises (surprises) and pies of (and pies of) all sizes aaaah! come on in come to the place where fun never ends, come on in its time to party with garfield and friends, come on in its time to party with garfield and friends, garfield and friends.
Cool
lol
[account deactivated]
https://imgur.com/tgnsATB

i took a piccy of computer for social media purposes
Excellent work. but comrade *puts hand on your shoulder* it could not escape my notice, that The Rhizzone appears nowhere on your screen
https://www.wired.com/story/air-gap-researcher-mordechai-guri/

For Guri, that Faraday-busting technique caps off an epic series of data heist tricks, some of which he describes as far more "exotic" than his latest. The Ben-Gurion team started, for instance, with a technique called AirHopper, which used a computer's electromagnetism to transmit FM radio signals to a smartphone, a kind of modern update to the NSA's Tempest technique. Next, they proved with a tool called BitWhisper that the heat generated by a piece of malware manipulating a computer's processor can directly—if slowly—communicate data to adjacent, disconnected computers.

In 2016, his team switched to acoustic attacks, showing that they could use the noise generated by a hard drive's spinning or a computer's internal fan to send 15 to 20 bits a minute to a nearby smartphone. The fan attack, they show in the video below, works even when music is playing nearby.

More recently, Guri's team began playing with light-based exfiltration. Last year, they published papers on using the LEDs of computers and routers to blink out Morse-code like messages, and even used the infrared LEDs on surveillance cameras to transmit messages that would be invisible to humans. In the video below, they show that LED-blinked message being captured by a drone outside a facility's window. And compared to previous methods, that light-based transmission is relatively high bandwidth, sending a megabyte of data in a half an hour. If the exfiltrator is willing to blink the LED at a slightly slower rate, the malware can even send its signals with flashes so fast they're undetectable for human eyes.

i've been putting off a re-install of slackware that I’m going to do soon. i prefer it since it can be as barebones as i like. that said, anyone have good links to system hardening? I currently use DenyHosts (http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/) but that only monitors SSH connections. I will check out fail2ban and will probably go with keys for ssh connects going forward.

using it as a back-up web server for readmarxeveryday.ml and occasional desktop alternative to my main PC
[account deactivated]