Been meaning to post something about the "Paradise Papers" (getting really sick of the cutesy names assigned to every leaked document dump these days but whatever). This is the latest in a series of leaks where a bunch of files relating to offshore tax havens have found their way to journalists who then kindly decide on our behalf what we need to know about them. Depending on where you live and your news outlet of choice this can mean breathlessly exposing celebrity tax dodges, or breathlessly demanding congressional hearings into Trump business associates who may once have smiled warmly at a ruble. The usual fare.

But the thing that leapt out at me, that I think could yield really interesting results with more exploration and analysis, is the revelation of details about the private estate of Queen Elizabeth II. The linked article focuses on a couple of the shadier operations that received indirect investment from funds linked to the Duchy of Lancaster, administrators of the private finances of the sovereign (as opposed to the Crown Estate). Revelations about the Queen's investment portfolio contributing to the misery of some of her poorest citizens are certainly newsworthy and help draw interest in the topic, but I can't help but think they should just be a jumping off point for a deeper exploration of international finance, class, and sovereignty. One I sadly have no time to conduct. Hell, maybe I'll get onto it after I finish the Zizek post
Fuck, gunfire
New York Times 2h ago
lol i was thinking of oding that joke next

Toppling a regime. Relaxing on the computer. Fuck, gunfire.

Edited by ilmdge ()

A man was commanding the goonswarm. Then four americans were dead.
Btw re that article about creepy kids youtube stuff, i've many times seen my niece sitting there w/ the family ipad enraptured by youtube. And i think it's pretty harmful but not so much because of the bot produced nightmare animations. rather, shes always opening video after video of young women holding up different dolls and having them say

"You look so beautiful!"
"Thank you! I love your shoes, they are so CUTE!"
"Hey, lets go on a vacation!"
newly entering third doll: "Can I come?"
one of the original princess dolls: "No! You're not invited!"

Not even exaggerating at all

tears posted:

Slicing Open double PREGNANT FROZEN ELSA w/ Spiderman vs Doctor Pink Spidergirl Funny superhero Fun!

thankfully my kid is limited to old Disney movies off Netflix, which means that he'll develop a fetish for anthropomorphic foxes like God intended

shapes posted:

thankfully my kid is limited to old Disney movies off Netflix, which means that he'll develop a fetish for anthropomorphic foxes like God intended

i've wondered if disney's robin hood didn't also contribute in some small way to the palatability of libertarianism among the youth of my generation:

Petrol posted:

is there any way to actually access the papers directly or is it another panama filtered through the obviously very trustworthy eyes of what the GUARDIAN and BBC deem to be important; i want the juicy drug smuggling money deets

xipe posted:

Can we start feeding all front page articles into the creepy kids video generators?

Most articles already contained dead babies so that aspect is covered, but we can start scaling out communist indoctrination for this generation of toddlers

Stalin goes to the Dentist Hoxha Surprise Egg Learn Colours Candy

tears posted:

Petrol posted:

is there any way to actually access the papers directly or is it another panama filtered through the obviously very trustworthy eyes of what the GUARDIAN and BBC deem to be important; i want the juicy drug smuggling money deets

the closest they've come to making source docs available on this one is this section in the ICIJ Offshore Leaks database, which also has a broader search function for previous similar leaks but not raw data dumps sadly

ugh, painfully stage managed, i dont think ill bother
yeah. they seem to be promising a 'proper' dump in coming weeks but it will still only be in the form of the searchable database they've created for previous leaks, not raw unredacted docs. iirc they only post scans of source docs to accompany the stories they choose to write up, the public database itself is pretty limited
Well since Putin was made star of the pre-russiagate Panama Papers show, despite being one of the few people NOT involved with it.... I'm curious to see if the Media can top that in some way
[account deactivated]

AZ_IZ_OT posted:

also something of this size has to have stuff linking people to pedophile rings like come on

anything involving this much money has a lot to do with paedophile rings but dont hold your breath waiting for receipts mate

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
eh

Edited by Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia ()

AZ_IZ_OT posted:

I’m trying to find a pdf of this:

"Current public health literature suggests that the mentally ill may represent as much as half of the smokers in America. In Smoking Privileges, Laura Hirshbein highlights the complex problem of mentally ill smokers, placing it in the context of changes in psychiatry, in the tobacco and pharmaceutical industries, and in the experience of mental illness over the last century. Hirshbein, a medical historian and clinical psychiatrist, first shows how cigarettes functioned in the old system of psychiatric care, revealing that mental health providers long ago noted the important role of cigarettes within treatment settings and the strong attachment of many mentally ill individuals to their cigarettes. Hirshbein also relates how, as the sale of cigarettes dwindled, the tobacco industry quietly researched alternative markets, including those who smoked for psychological reasons, ultimately discovering connections between mental states and smoking, and the addictive properties of nicotine. However, Smoking Privileges warns that to see smoking among the mentally ill only in terms of addiction misses how this behavior fits into the broader context of their lives. Cigarettes not only helped structure their relationships with other people, but also have been important objects of attachment. Indeed, even after psychiatric hospitals belatedly instituted smoking bans in the late twentieth century, smoking remained an integral part of life for many seriously ill patients, with implications not only for public health but for the ongoing treatment of psychiatric disorders. Making matters worse, well-meaning tobacco-control policies have had the unintended consequence of further stigmatizing the mentally ill. A groundbreaking look at a little-known public health problem, Smoking Privileges illuminates the intersection of smoking and mental illness, and offers a new perspective on public policy regarding cigarettes"--Provided by publisher.

it’s on google books, where I found it by running a search on a snippet of conversation I may have hallucinated

http://gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=0339494B0E37E30D73CA5712EEF4CC14

[account deactivated]
https://www.thedailybeast.com/green-beret-discovered-seals-illicit-cash-then-he-was-killed

one for our deep state / mali thread fans
im reading 'the red book and the great wall', which is alberto moravia talking about his visit to cultural revolution china. he met this guy who i thought was extremely cool:

He was an "engineer" (that is, a machine operator), he had lived and worked in Shanghai for a long time, and now he lived in Peking. This was our exchange.
"Are you still working?"
"No, I am retired."
"And what do you do?"
"For the most part, I propagandize Mao's thought in the neighbourhood."
"And the rest of the time, what do you do? Do you listen to music on the radio?"
"No, I don't like music."
"Do you watch television?"
"No, I don't like television."
"Do you take walks in the park?"
"No, I don't like taking walks."
"What do you do?"
"I read the works of Marx, Lenin, Stalin, and Mao."

the revolutionary cells were probably closer to what you are describing there in germany imo.

also this video should have been in that article

saw this article during a stream:

Lead: America’s Real Criminal Element
Put all this together and you have an astonishing body of evidence. We now have studies at the international level, the national level, the state level, the city level, and even the individual level. Groups of children have been followed from the womb to adulthood, and higher childhood blood lead levels are consistently associated with higher adult arrest rates for violent crimes. All of these studies tell the same story: Gasoline lead is responsible for a good share of the rise and fall of violent crime over the past half century.
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/02/lead-exposure-gasoline-crime-increase-children-health/

glad to hear that we have eliminted the final roadblock on the way to harmony between the classes: leaded petrol

glomper_stomper posted:

i got an out-of-print documentary history of the red brigades. they were pretty remarkable in that they were based almost entirely out of factories and working class neighborhoods, then managed to succeed somewhat in building an armed vanguard party and politico-military infrastructure among the workers. nearly all of their actions emanated from political strikes, internal struggles against reformist and fascist unions, and labor disputes the PCI had no interest in solving. like the RAF if the RAF actually stuck to its most cogent program of building an armed vanguard with an actual mass base, instead of degenerating into a half-assed politico-military organization vying for party and mass backing in a social and political climate that they failed to adapt to.

all the "armed struggle in the metropole" type groups were and still are unanimously derided or written off completely. which is stupid as fuck, imo

is there any way u could put that online ?

[account deactivated]
i was talking to my analyst about my bad obsessional brain and then she (hesitatingly) gossiped about her "classically obsessional" colleague and said i'd like his book so i am reading that. it's "freud" by jonathan lear and is meant to be a philosophical introduction

Synergy posted:

saw this article during a stream:

Lead: America’s Real Criminal Element
Put all this together and you have an astonishing body of evidence. We now have studies at the international level, the national level, the state level, the city level, and even the individual level. Groups of children have been followed from the womb to adulthood, and higher childhood blood lead levels are consistently associated with higher adult arrest rates for violent crimes. All of these studies tell the same story: Gasoline lead is responsible for a good share of the rise and fall of violent crime over the past half century.
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/02/lead-exposure-gasoline-crime-increase-children-health/

fascinating stuff

uh, ahem, haha... i mean, if science were real.

lo posted:

im reading 'the red book and the great wall', which is alberto moravia talking about his visit to cultural revolution china. he met this guy who i thought was extremely cool:

He was an "engineer" (that is, a machine operator), he had lived and worked in Shanghai for a long time, and now he lived in Peking. This was our exchange.
"Are you still working?"
"No, I am retired."
"And what do you do?"
"For the most part, I propagandize Mao's thought in the neighbourhood."
"And the rest of the time, what do you do? Do you listen to music on the radio?"
"No, I don't like music."
"Do you watch television?"
"No, I don't like television."
"Do you take walks in the park?"
"No, I don't like taking walks."
"What do you do?"
"I read the works of Marx, Lenin, Stalin, and Mao."

i will be this man as soon as possible

[account deactivated]

jools posted:

the revolutionary cells were probably closer to what you are describing there in germany imo.

also this video should have been in that article

Video link is dead, anybody know what this was?

it was just one of those SEO clickbait kids videos - horror themed one about the clown from IT. google has apparently in the last day or two cracked down on these channels. although some simple searches shows me some of the worst channels are still there.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/11/17/youtube-terminates-exploitive-kids-channel-toyfreaks-among-broader-tightening-of-its-endangerment-policies/

or it might have just been flagged for copyright infringement or something lol.
has anyone read 'the morning deluge' by han suyin? wondering if i should read it since its been sitting on my bedside cabinet for several years
uyou should read it, but dont forget to read all the other books as well

JohnBeige posted:

if you have an fbibook, i highly recommend joining Leading Like Communist Organization (Argument Archivist Shock Division). crow and a lot of other people interested in ML pro-China views have posted a lot of articles on the subject. if you'd like i can repost some of the articles here?

is this group secret?

bit188 posted:

JohnBeige posted:

if you have an fbibook, i highly recommend joining Leading Like Communist Organization (Argument Archivist Shock Division). crow and a lot of other people interested in ML pro-China views have posted a lot of articles on the subject. if you'd like i can repost some of the articles here?

is this group secret?

ah.
i wish i wasn’t so marginal