Dimashq posted:

Anyone here read German and have cool reading suggestions for an intermediate learner? I thought it'd be cool to just pick up a volume of the collected works of Marx and Engels and just start reading and using a dictionary even if it takes forever, not sure if that's effective or not.

deutsche welle has good stuff for free like this http://www.dw.com/de/deutsch-lernen/das-sagt-man-so/s-32376 .

i would recommend against the dictionary approach because in my experience that gets really slow and frustrating. but it may work for you. germany is a land of many contrasts

reading marx in the original latin

cars posted:

reading about the Clock of the Long Now, a bourgeois project to determine how to keep looters from stripping something useless, for 10000 years

Given the spooky name and that it's funded by Dreadlord Jeff Bezos I can't help but be feareful of the stranyge deofuls that would be released upon building such a clock.

If they tried it IRL it would be stripped by raccoons and crows in like 3 weeks

[account deactivated]
we just make a huge hourglass by burying a funnel in the sand
[account deactivated]
found some book from like 1935 about theatre in the ussr the other day, i dont really care that much about theatre but it looks to have a lot of interesting info about how the theatre system worked on a practical level, like how the state controlled it and stuff.
Minecraft Eternity Wormwood Clock (CORRECTED)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/20/xi-jinping-china-president-leninist-quest-authority-control-carries-dangers

Xi Jinping’s Leninist quest for a dynasty inspires congressional love-in

(Roderick MacFarquhar, a China expert at Harvard University) said Xi appeared to have built a position of enviable strength in his first stint as leader, even if China’s “sophisticates” considered his strongman tendencies a turnoff.

“Unless some politician or some angry general decides enough is enough and that Xi Jinping is making China a laughing stock by this one-man rule campaign … and has the contacts and the determination to do something, nothing is going to change.”

But Xi’s Leninist quest for authority and control also carried dangers: “The changes that he has brought about … are a form of strong Leninism, which China has not experienced since the early 50s. We don’t know to what extent the population will accept that.”

“This is a vast country, with hundreds of millions of people in different parts, whose exact thoughts about the situation … are very difficult to perceive. And the more Leninism there is, the more people are frightened, the less one is able to perceive it – until something happens.

“Things have happened in China. Things do go wrong in China,” MacFarquhar warned. “Even in the best ordered regimes, like Xi Jinping’s.”

"in conclusion, china is truly a land of contrasts" - harvard china expert roddy "tha RoDD"

Leninist Quest is my favourite rpg
im reading Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis again. this book is the means by which my parents brainwashed me into becoming anti-imperialist, it's still pretty good imo
i read poetry today:

I really dislike C. S. Lewis but have to admit that Out of the Silent Planet is genuinely good sci-fi, best thing he ever wrote
it also introduced me to a sort of person i wouldn't encounter on a regular basis until i became an adult, the hard science / engineer man-child who thinks he knows everything about everything outside of his discipline and undermines himself constantly because he's unable to communicate anything effectively to anyone
chugging along on the 'platform economy' beat, here's a long paper that 'traces the origin of the terms online and offline to the early railroad industry where “the line” was a powerful orienting image.'
on legalities...

Legislators of railroads had to walk a fine line that today’s telecommunications regulators find themselves dealing with today. Large private firms necessary for everyday commerce are dangerous to social welfare but are difficult to remove once their power is sufficiently entrenched. This is the general idea behind American anti-monopoly laws but this sentiment can be traced as far back as 960 A.D. where the Song Dynasty of China, recognizing that powerful merchants were essentially printing money in the form of bank notes, tried to ban the practice before issuing a few licenses in exchange for oversight. Railroad companies, like those first century Chinese merchants, were so deeply engrained in the daily economic functioning that some sort of governmental control was deemed necessary. Instead of seizing or breaking up the railroads, American lawmakers devised one of the most important legal innovations to come out of the Victorian Era: the designation of private firms as “common carriers.”
A common carrier is an entity that, due to its ubiquity and centrality to daily life, is forbidden from certain types of discrimination and price structuring. Trains were defined as common carriers in a piecemeal fashion, often state-by-state and line-by-line, until common carrier statutes were adopted by the federal government after the American Civil War... It is important to note that firms deemed common carriers were (and still are) generally granted exceptions to non-discrimination rules if discrimination served overall network health. For example, recent rulings to treat Internet service providers as common carriers carries with it a “reasonable network management exception.”

... and social effects...

The isolation and individuation in both networks at their respective times of early adoption also contributed to exaggerated fears of predation by murders, rapists, and thieves. Two high-profile suspected murders inside private train cars led to increased fear that trains were sites of particular vulnerability. Similarly the social action online, particularly when it comes to youth, is often viewed in mass media as shot through with predation and illicit activity.
Both technologies oddly enough, have also been cast as sites of misandry. Men reported avoiding sharing private cars with women they did not know, not because of decorum, but out of fear of unfounded accusations ranging from improper conversation topics to sexual assault. Whereas the train was a setting for such accusations, the Internet is a stage upon similar fears can not only be realized, but collected, curated, indexed and shared. The burgeoning “Men’s rights movement” has found a home in, and is mainly composed of “a loose but loud collection of Internet blogs sites, policy-oriented organizations,” frequented by “a legion of middle-class white men who feel badly done by individual women or by policies they believe have cheated them.”

... and a fine anecdote.

In Chicago, Charles Tyson Yerkes — through deft financial haggling, blackmail, and bribery of city and state officials — owned all but one line in the city. In less than a decade he oversaw the construction of the Chicago loop, the replacement of horse-drawn cars with electric ones, and the laying of 500 miles of track.
In 1897 Yerkes sought to extend his contract with the city for another 50 years, with promises of raising fares and reducing the quality of service. The city and state legislatures had been sufficiently bribed and were ready to approve the contract when, as historian Kenneth T. Jackson put it,

“a mob carrying guns and ropes surrounded City Hall and so menacingly threatened their representatives with bodily injury that the extension failed. Disappointed but undaunted, Yerkes promptly sold his Chicago holdings and moved to England, where he was in control of the London Underground at the time of his death in 1905.”

can anyone name any serious recent left/marxist sociologists, or people whose work would readily fit a left perspective? I'm thinking of people like rogers brubaker, for an example of the latter. people doing any interesting semiotic/qualititative/"meaning" oriented sociology/ethnography would also be helpful.
read this recently, which ruled
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=34507D87B886EF83E3DF8F2052C5B45D

Leg over Leg recounts the life, from birth to middle age, of “the Fariyaq,” alter ego of Ahmad Faris al-Shidyaq, a pivotal figure in the intellectual and literary history of the modern Arab world. The always edifying and often hilarious adventures of the Fariyaq, as he moves from his native Lebanon to Egypt, Malta, Tunis, England, and France, provide the author with grist for wide-ranging discussions of the intellectual and social issues of his time, including the ignorance and corruption of the Lebanese religious and secular establishments, freedom of conscience, women’s rights, sexual relationships between men and women, the manners and customs of Europeans and Middle Easterners, and the differences between contemporary European and Arabic literatures, all the while celebrating the genius and beauty of the classical Arabic language.

Volumes One and Two follow the hapless Fariyaq through his youth and early education, his misadventures among the monks of Mount Lebanon, his flight to the Egypt of Muhammad ’Ali, and his subsequent employment with the first Arabic daily newspaper—during which time he suffers a number of diseases that parallel his progress in the sciences of Arabic grammar, and engages in amusing digressions on the table manners of the Druze, young love, snow, and the scandals of the early papacy. This first book also sees the list—of locations in Hell, types of medieval glue, instruments of torture, stars and pre-Islamic idols—come into its own as a signature device of the work.

Akin to Sterne and Rabelais in his satirical outlook and technical inventiveness, al-Shidyaq produced in Leg Over Leg a work that is unique and unclassifiable. It was initially widely condemned for its attacks on authority, its religious skepticism, and its “obscenity,” and later editions were often abridged. This is the first complete English translation of this groundbreaking work

palafox posted:

read this recently, which ruled
http://gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=34507D87B886EF83E3DF8F2052C5B45D

Leg over Leg recounts the life, from birth to middle age, of “the Fariyaq,” alter ego of Ahmad Faris al-Shidyaq, a pivotal figure in the intellectual and literary history of the modern Arab world. The always edifying and often hilarious adventures of the Fariyaq, as he moves from his native Lebanon to Egypt, Malta, Tunis, England, and France, provide the author with grist for wide-ranging discussions of the intellectual and social issues of his time, including the ignorance and corruption of the Lebanese religious and secular establishments, freedom of conscience, women’s rights, sexual relationships between men and women, the manners and customs of Europeans and Middle Easterners, and the differences between contemporary European and Arabic literatures, all the while celebrating the genius and beauty of the classical Arabic language.

Volumes One and Two follow the hapless Fariyaq through his youth and early education, his misadventures among the monks of Mount Lebanon, his flight to the Egypt of Muhammad ’Ali, and his subsequent employment with the first Arabic daily newspaper—during which time he suffers a number of diseases that parallel his progress in the sciences of Arabic grammar, and engages in amusing digressions on the table manners of the Druze, young love, snow, and the scandals of the early papacy. This first book also sees the list—of locations in Hell, types of medieval glue, instruments of torture, stars and pre-Islamic idols—come into its own as a signature device of the work.

Akin to Sterne and Rabelais in his satirical outlook and technical inventiveness, al-Shidyaq produced in Leg Over Leg a work that is unique and unclassifiable. It was initially widely condemned for its attacks on authority, its religious skepticism, and its “obscenity,” and later editions were often abridged. This is the first complete English translation of this groundbreaking work

cool, this has been on my reading list for ages

Battle Hymn of China - Agnes Smedley
https://medium.com/@jamesbridle/something-is-wrong-on-the-internet-c39c471271d2
machine-learning bot noise creep into culture is one of the oddest pollutants capitalism has yet generated; basically memetic industrial waste

hyperevolved spam in public-content spaces seems like something that should have been entirely predictable. but then, that's true of a lot of stuff in hindsight

swampman posted:

What the fuck

Every time I'm in a restaurant or somewhere and I see a little kid staring at a tablet I just feel a bleak despair that that kid is already dead

swampman posted:

well this is interesting because it's close to home for me. my kid is 11 months old now and youtube is sometimes indispensable. mostly in our house we use it for compilations of his favourite kids shows from tv, because rather than the 10-11min episodes available through legit means, there are dodgy channels that string a bunch of them together and allow me to do a bit of housework or have a shower or whatever and know that my kid isn't going to be crying with boredom while i'm out of the room.

we also use it for some of the legit youtube-only content mentioned in this article. something he got a taste for very early on at his grandparents' house is Chu Chu TV, which i gather is made in india and has about a gazillion views. kids universally love this stuff and find it totally mesmerising and entertaining, although the cheap animation style and slightly-off accent made it very disturbing to me as an adult when i first saw it. it's the first place i saw a version of the "finger family" trend mentioned in the article and, once again, as an adult the lyrics are a little off at first, but it's clearly innocent.

i think the author is, admirably, trying to temper his hysteria over this topic, but failing because of his distance from it. the implications of automated content production are certainly food for thought, and there's clearly some terribly fucked up stuff on youtube that shouldn't exist for man or beast to see, but it's a bridge too far to imply youtube is a gigantic machine for automated child abuse. churning out animated kids content is the best bet for generating ad revenue on youtube, as his "friend who works in digital video", or indeed common sense, says. but most kids will only ever see content from the biggest channels like Chu Chu TV, because even though you can find some weird shit by plugging certain combinations of search terms into youtube, actual video selection for the youngest viewers is performed by adults, and autoplay algorithms don't really stray from the most popular channels. 99.99% of kids will never see the videos of minions drinking piss or whatever 4chan thinks is funny this week. the ones that do will almost always click away out of boredom or confusion, because they have the ability to do so, unlike my tiny self when i was traumatised by a black and white betty boop cartoon on the television.

so, not saying there's nothing to see here, but the article does tend towards liberal hysteria about the importance of the online world. i sympathise because, like the author, i was once an internet-savvy adult who was terrified of my potential future kid(s) having access from birth to the same fucked-up internet i'd first encountered in my teens. all i can say as a parent of a young child is that one's concerns become a bit more practical than that.

There is no politics
maybe im old fashioned or whatever but what does a kid need a smartphone or ipad for. like even if you dont want to entertain your kid all the time im sure theres ways of keeping them occupied without a steve jobs round edge mini computer playing satanic videos at them
what may not occur to the casual observer is that there are occasions when a magic entertainment screen, which might not be allowed all the time, will be a godsend, like in public places when adults are doing adult stuff and kids have been dragged along and it's not fun for them and they're getting tired and hungry, and those occasions neatly coincide with the opportunity for strangers to notice the kid using the ipad or whatever and be all judgey about it. i'm not looking forward to the rapidly approaching age when it will make too much sense for my kid not to have an ipad, but trust me, it's going to be a cheap piece of crap with a very limited ability to play kid-safe videos and maybe very simple games, and there's no way he's going to have access to it all the time.
Slicing Open double PREGNANT FROZEN ELSA w/ Spiderman vs Doctor Pink Spidergirl Funny superhero Fun!

swampman posted:

why do all of these videos use the italo disco voice

tears posted:

Slicing Open double PREGNANT FROZEN ELSA w/ Spiderman vs Doctor Pink Spidergirl Funny superhero Fun!

all the weird filters and plugins i have in my browser prevented the videos from loading in that article and im okay with that

looking forward to the results of the first generation raised on a diet of helpless frozen big belly pregnant princess elsa saved by spiderman funny superhero joker birth suprise

Petrol posted:

what may not occur to the casual observer is that there are occasions when a magic entertainment screen, which might not be allowed all the time, will be a godsend, like in public places when adults are doing adult stuff and kids have been dragged along and it's not fun for them and they're getting tired and hungry, and those occasions neatly coincide with the opportunity for strangers to notice the kid using the ipad or whatever and be all judgey about it.

Thats what people used to say about a rag dipped in whisky

Hell,
Can we start feeding all front page articles into the creepy kids video generators?

Most articles already contained dead babies so that aspect is covered, but we can start scaling out communist indoctrination for this generation of toddlers

tears posted:

looking forward to the results of the first generation raised on a diet of helpless frozen big belly pregnant princess elsa saved by spiderman funny superhero joker birth suprise

That story is my favourite, I have fond memories of Grandpa reading it to me

we need a MAD Frozen Elsa ATTACK Spiderman w/ Pancake Art Challenge Joker Funny Kids Video In Real Life IRL of the left
the trryhard mass shooting headlines at the nyt etc are so bad lol

A Family Was Praying in a Texas Church. Then 8 Were Dead.
New York Times 2h ago

i remmeber when the congress guys got shot by the berniebro, it was like

The Crack of a Bat, then Gunfire
or something like that

anywya im noticing they do this everytime
MAD texas gunman ATTACK church w/ Ruger AR-556 shooting CHALLENGE Joker funny Kids video in REAL life IRL
Grinding Up Against Another Man. Then An Explosion of Shots.