I feel like I'm the only person in the world who didn't like the Babadook. the opening 30 minutes or so was really unsettling and I found the story of a grieving mother with a terrible child slowly losing her mind horrifying in its own right but then the corny ass monster showed up and I lost interest. More like Babadookie imo
i'm rewatching midnight run for the 100th time
I'm watching Fargo Season 2, the Reagan hate is palpable.
i am all caught up on star trek: discovery and i am comfortable saying that its shit
[account deactivated]
good.

roseweird posted:

the "eating food" and "watching tv" threads are really taking off

the natural endpoint of the sincereposting trend

rolaids posted:

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who didn't like the Babadook. the opening 30 minutes or so was really unsettling and I found the story of a grieving mother with a terrible child slowly losing her mind horrifying in its own right but then the corny ass monster showed up and I lost interest. More like Babadookie imo

yeah this film was shit, first off, completly ideologically barren, no mention of the achievements of the 5 year plans AND it completly failed to uphold the cultural revolution, the main character didn't even have a single portrait of stalin on the wall ffs, dumped it straight in the trash after watching; hard avoid

Finally got around to watching the Battle of Algiers. Very chill on consciousness-raising vanguard violence, only sorta okay at implicating the civilian settlers as psychotic racists, and not so good in that everything post-1957 is presented as a Civil Rights-style protest met only reluctantly with police bullets, when in reality hundreds of thousands of Algerians were massacred in a brutal counter-insurgency by the French Army and settler paramilitary groups. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pretty funny that the Pentagon used it as a reference for the Iraq counter-insurgency, but it actually makes sense since it's a glorified cop-and-mouse thriller (tho good in that sense), not an especially good portrait of senescent empire's vast butchery.

Edited by neckwattle ()

assume any movie used by the Pentagon to promote a strategy has been chosen because the real world fails to provide convincing evidence for the strategy's effectiveness
i'm watching made in abyss
Finally saw the Nathan finale. Wow that was weird. I have mixed feelings about it but I think he actually made a piece of art.

[account deactivated]
i'm about to watch a movie because the negative comments on it make repeated reference to a cast member's "grotesquely botoxed" face that looks like "it fell through a meat grinder", should i feel bad about this?
i think it's fine to watch your own home movies
[account deactivated]

Caesura109 posted:

the only show where cops can beat the poor and not make me feel too uncomfortable.

catchphrase

kamelred posted:

I want to see it again before I say anything else but bladerunner is easily one of the best movies of the decade

the only good part is the holographic waifu being called JOI

kamelred posted:

i dont want to spoil things but if i had to pick one big flaw it would be an eye-rolling star trek level lapse into idealism in the third act, but even that works so well as Big Twist that you kind of have to let it slide, and anyway its something thematically consistent with the original if not tonally. other than that br2049's story really completes the idea that replicant is a social relation, not a physical property of a being. replicant is a historical identifier, its a question of how other people see you, and arguably the whole point is that this is just-so in the way the philosophical puzzles and thought experiments are formulated in such a way as to defy the sorts of quibbles that are involved in questioning whether deckard in the original is really human or a replicant or whatever. its a distinction without difference thing

its a fucking crying shame that this movie is going to bomb, honestly. arguably the one reason it was made at all is because sony has been a ten year long disaster and they really needed a prestige kind of film to build pedigree so in all likelihood there wont be anything like this for another 10 years or at all. i would see it in IMAX if you have any fondness at for the original

no, it makes replicants into fucking boring secularised christians who apparently have some kind of inborn ethic of self-sacrifice in complete contradiction to the original where roy batty is a badass whose sense of humanity is defined by not wanting to die

blinkandwheeze posted:

Agreed with tears, but to derail the conversation, Re: Bladerunner i disliked how much of the film focused on the same kind of desolate post-apocalypic landscapes that are in basically every hollywood science fiction film now. imo probably the exact opposite aesthetic cue people should be taking from the original

it also suffered from the stuff-being-just-left-lying-around-for-30-years problem

tpaine posted:

the thing (1982) is the best horror movie

actually the best horror movie is possession (1981)

[account deactivated]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B85M7aOQIA0

Petrol posted:

the Hobbit bullshit

i watched the first half of the first one of those movies a few days ago. Jackson never wanted to direct it in the first place and you can tell but he's still responsible for it

jools posted:

tpaine posted:

the thing (1982) is the best horror movie

actually the best horror movie is possession (1981)

Just watched On the Silver Globe by that same director... It kinda hurts. Something broke inside...

But, lately just been watching a lot of the looks on anarchists friends faces when I say, "No, I haven't seen Stranger Things, I don't watch Netflix shows because I think they are neo-liberal propaganda."

Me: do you the children actors actually talk like children or do they have peculiar sentiments likely seen in writers that are 20-30 yrs old?
Them: They're kids, they're all so innocent...
Me: Innocent protagonists... Of course!
Them: ?
[account deactivated]
L:et's get real: Blade Runner 2: 049 was a bad movie. All of you who said it was good need to figure out your lives.

swampman posted:

L:et's get real: Blade Runner 2: 049 was a bad movie. All of you who said it was good need to figure out your lives.

levoydpage posted:

In no unrelated way... I'm just dying to talk some shit on BR 2049...

OTOH Babe 2: Pig in the City is THEE most insane film I have ever seen. Highly recommend.

One reason I stopped drinking was to stop seeing dickhead mixologists do casual misogynies. That plus interminable horsie unveiling scenes leaves Blade Runner s20e49 with a miserable one and a half goslings

swampman posted:

it was bad and Villeneuve is a hack (way more so than any random Hollywood mercenary because he has pretensions of autheurity) but in the vein of Camelread's comment I think it was cool in that the dystopia is not some post-cataclysm hellscape where characters fondly remember their Lynchian suburban idylls even though they led to self-destruction (like so much Hollywood scifi) but OUR VERY OWN hellscape just a lil gussied up, no big historical rupture or anything

im not watching anything
I watched two Tarkovsky films this last week, Stalker and Solaris. I really enjoyed Stalker, I think I'll have to rewatch it again.
I just watched Solaris too! Stalker was better.
Y'all who enjoyed Stalker (Tarkovsky is a god) should read Roadside Picnic, it is also great.

http://soviethistory.msu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/picnic.pdf
Oh great, PDF forum is leaking again
i watched possession 1981 it was mega good thx jools
Criterion rereleased Stalker in 1080p, it's hella nice.
i saw stalker in a cinema and it was badass, i wish people would show tarkovskys that aren't stalker or solaris though