Cook's illustrated is the cats pajamas

roseweird posted:

using some comprehensive cookbook like how to cook everything is better than using some random internet recipes for someone with no experience cooking i think, because it teaches about cooking tools and techniques in an accessible way

i love my ancient cookbooks. i've got a timeless beat up Women of Unifarm (a farm equipment manufacturer) cookbook full of submitted family recipes with such user friendly baking measurements as A Smidge, Not Too Much, and my personal favorite: Just Enough.

the pride of my collection though is my four volumes of the infamous Albertan cuisine series The Best of Bridge, for 70s housewives in the first big oil boom. for more difficult recipes it includes in the ingredients list what you should be drinking while you cook (Cabbage Rolls prescribes two large glasses of white wine: one while preparing and one to celebrate once it's in the oven.) it contains such horrors as hollandaise lasagna, rice krispie squares made with velveeta cheese, and "Pink Frosty Salad"

1 can pineapple chunks
1 can store bought cranberry sauce
1 brick cream cheese
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 pint whipped cream

This is a salad.

[account deactivated]

shriekingviolet posted:

1 can pineapple chunks
1 brick cream cheese
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 pint whipped cream

This is a salad.

death to america

shriekingviolet posted:

roseweird posted:

using some comprehensive cookbook like how to cook everything is better than using some random internet recipes for someone with no experience cooking i think, because it teaches about cooking tools and techniques in an accessible way

i love my ancient cookbooks. i've got a timeless beat up Women of Unifarm (a farm equipment manufacturer) cookbook full of submitted family recipes with such user friendly baking measurements as A Smidge, Not Too Much, and my personal favorite: Just Enough.

the pride of my collection though is my four volumes of the infamous Albertan cuisine series The Best of Bridge, for 70s housewives in the first big oil boom. for more difficult recipes it includes in the ingredients list what you should be drinking while you cook (Cabbage Rolls prescribes two large glasses of white wine: one while preparing and one to celebrate once it's in the oven.) it contains such horrors as hollandaise lasagna, rice krispie squares made with velveeta cheese, and "Pink Frosty Salad"

1 can pineapple chunks
1 brick cream cheese
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 pint whipped cream

This is a salad.

get the fuck out of my biceps thread

shriekingviolet posted:

roseweird posted:

1 can pineapple chunks
1 brick cream cheese
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 pint whipped cream

This is a salad.

70s cookbooks with hypersaturated pictures of revolting concoctions are epic

swampman posted:

get the fuck out of my biceps thread

It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh. I was called here by humans who wish to pay me tribute.

[account deactivated]
"diet" drinks your body into thinking its going to recieve a massive dose of sugar, then when it doesnt recive the promised sugar it demands you eat sugar; better to switch to hard liquor

Caesura109 posted:

Currently looking up weight-loss programs that involve lots of running, thanks for all the advise. I live on a campus and don't have anywhere to cook or learn to cook, but I'm start eating whatever weird avocado quinoa shit they serve instead of the usual grilled cheese or chicken strips crap.

Also what's yall stance on diet soda? I've drank it virtually every day for the past decade and I don't know how many years of longevity I've lost thanks to it.

I still drink it a few times a week. The problem is if you are drinking it whenever you feel thirsty, or drinking it with every meal, because it will make you hungrier. I think a great, simple habit is to drink a glass of water whenever you feel hungry or thirsty.

Just want to reiterate. I think it is really important to put your weight loss in service to another pursuit. Rather than running to lose weight you should lose weight to run. If your chief measure of success is how much you weigh, frustration can push you to injure yourself. If you want to track your weight I would consider producing like a three-week average since no individual measurement is significant. If you're running and lifting, however, there are tons of direct measurements available - this many sets at this many reps, this many miles at my slowest possible pace - and progress is usually much steadier if your program is set up properly.

shriekingviolet posted:

It was not by my hand that I am once again given flesh. I was called here by humans who wish to pay me tribute.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
I'm a big fan of the Veganomicon. Searchable a couple different ways, introductory section is lists of different ways to simply prepare vegetables, common term glossary, good stuff. New edition seems to be out but my old one is a great and fairly comprehensive cookbook.
[account deactivated]
i'm gonna make this tomorrow
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

shriekingviolet posted:

Caesura109 posted:

Currently looking up weight-loss programs that involve lots of running, thanks for all the advise. I live on a campus and don't have anywhere to cook or learn to cook, but I'm start eating whatever weird avocado quinoa shit they serve instead of the usual grilled cheese or chicken strips crap.

Also what's yall stance on diet soda? I've drank it virtually every day for the past decade and I don't know how many years of longevity I've lost thanks to it.

calories are more important than if a food is "healthy." grilled chicken strips or even fried could easily have fewer calories than a big organic vegetarian sandwich slathered in cheese, avocado and mayo. you can google a rough approximation of what the calorie count of a meal is, or if you're at a chain they'll publish the totals online.

also, make sure you stretch heavily before and after running when you are new to it or it WILL fuck you up. and obviously try running on softer surfaces (grass, dirt) if possible

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

isn't running terrible for your legs. what the fuck you gon do bout my legs

tpaine posted:

isn't running terrible for your legs. what the fuck you gon do bout my legs

No, it's really good for your legs, that's why you see distance runners keeping up 50 mile weeks into their 60s.

What's bad for your legs is doing stupid things to them, for example ignoring an injury and trying to run through it; trying to increase mileage too fast when training; and most commonly, doing most of your runs at an all-out, hard run, what is considered "race pace."

If you're training for a 5k (or any run longer than 1500m really), you won't get much faster just by running 5k over and over again as hard as you can. Going as hard as you can means wiping your muscles' very finite glycogen stocks, and whatever pathetic glucose supply is on hand, within the span of the race. These stocks recover at a constant but very slow rate. To maintain pace over a long distance you have to train your muscles and cardiovascular system to take in oxygen faster and more efficiently over longer periods. When you're running slow (as a novice runner), about half your ATP is being created by burning glycogen and the other half from oxygen. The glycogen is restored more slowly than it's used and you inevitably run out after about 2 hours at your slowest run.

Doing 2 hours at your slowest pace is a significantly better workout for your legs than 20 minutes at a hard pace, first because work = force * distance, second because you're not as likely to hurt yourself suddenly, third because every little muscle bone and tendon in your body is gradually made stronger and stabler with every mile and you need a metric load of miles to develop them all properly. Or else you get shin splints and die. And over long periods your muscles increase the amount of ATP they can get from oxygen, meaning your glycogen lasts longer.

So basically you have to run far to run fast and you have to run slow to run far, and if you do this then running is not dangerous or bad for your leg. Modern day training programs are typically ~80% easy runs. Take a look at Kipchoge's training log for the Berlin marathon (they ran it in 2:03:32). In the first week: 50.3km in tempo runs and intervals combined (the tempo run is still 2.3kph slower than their marathon pace), and 140.2km in "easy" runs. Only 19.5km of the 190.5km week is done at a hard pace.

Edited by swampman ()

it's weird that dudes are on the cusp of breaking the two hour mark of a marathon but boxers are still half-falling down exhausted after 15 elapsed minutes of dancing
[account deactivated]

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

it's weird that dudes are on the cusp of breaking the two hour mark of a marathon but boxers are still half-falling down exhausted after 15 elapsed minutes of dancing

Here's 5'6" Eliud Kipchoge (123 lbs)

Here's a 5'6" boxer, Pernell Whitaker (~150 lbs)

Caesura109 posted:

I don't drink or smoke, which has been my subconscious justification for srinking garbage fake-sugar candy drinks. It's gonna take some effort to quit those. I also have osteo-arthritis, should I lower my weight through some other means before I pick up running? It's can't be good for my knee joints in the long-run.

You should ask a physical therapist. Running a safe amount at an easy pace gradually strengthens your bones and joints under normal conditions but it sounds like you should ask an expert about your specific condition.

But on the other hand.. there's nothing stopping you from going out tomorrow morning and just trying to run. Try to go for 25 minutes at your slowest possible pace. It should feel almost like you're running too slow. You should be able to talk normally while running at this pace, and even to breathe through your nose for extended periods. If you need to stop running at any point, try to keep walking; if you feel like you're going to hurt yourself, definitely stop running and take a break. Just focus on keeping a rhythm, not speeding up, not extending your feet in front of your center of gravity. Then wait until the next day and assess your pain.

Note that a treadmill will NOT be easier on your joints than running outside. If you want a leg-involved aerobic activity with lower stress on your joints I suggest going to a gym to use an airdyne style machine.

Edited by swampman ()

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

i bet i could take purnell

yeah maybe, right?

Hats off to my comrade SpideyWarg

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
speaking of lamb sauce clarence, this is a nice one
[account deactivated]
https://www.amazon.com/Book-Tasty-Healthy-Food-Cookbook/dp/0615691358
Eating Right news: i'm trying to carefully watch a saucepan of soon-to-be candy but apparently the housemate's dog swallowed an entire pet toy whole and then barfed it back up alongside what appears to be a gallon of fluid and two meals worth of vomit. it's amazing how much a bulldog can fit in her mouth. poor puppy ate wrong
so glad the'res this thread for talking about food. I love food, cooking, vegetables, meats, eggs, produce fuck yeah. gonna talk so much about food in this thread, already got a whole load of post ideas. just cuing up some back episodes of the great british bake off to watch then going to post about them in this thread. hell yes, thanks so much op for making a thread dedicated to eating
You are all going to be enrolled in my run camp at gulag

swampman posted:

You are all going to be enrolled in my run camp at gulag

sounds fun

i should invent some kind of comical headgear that lets me watch youtubes while i run. halfway through this post i realized that they did that and it was called google glass lol