[account deactivated]
i appreciate Carpenter because, for reasons good or bad, other than Lynch it’s hard to think of a director whose movies are still pretty popular with a wide audience in the West nowadays who makes their movies like they truly accept the death of the author. someone asked him at a panel if either Childs or Macready is a thing in the end and he said yes for sure lol but Actually just kidding because how would i even know?

then very recently he said he didn’t set out to make The Thing to have politics and a bunch of people seized on that and were like What happened to just having a good time at the movies, those fuckin, Millennials and so on and it’s like... try reading anything else he’s ever said about meaning in his movies ok

it’s one of the lamest things about also-rans like Refn or even 50/50 greats like Scott that they do interviews or even make more movies as though their own work with others, good or bad, needs the director to speak for it, like they’re desperate to explain how it has depth or worth. Ridley Scott said that if he ever George Lucas’d Alien he would redo the whole part where Ash’s head gets knocked off because it played in practice as comedy of the grotesque and he wanted something different and guy... take your W
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
good.
that’s what I’m saying here, Carpenter seems to know the work is alive, it’s not a corpse to do CSI Miami on, and then you have Scott over here like oh yeah sure Deckard was a replicant, that was my master plan all along and definitely not something that fans and interviewers badgered me with until I concluded it was smarter than my movie
[account deactivated]
the story of shooting The Thing is maybe my favorite story about making a movie in big budget cinema, probably only because it worked out in the end anyway
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
it’s hard for me to fault today’s living directors in the end for saying, oh you’ve figured out the true and forever meaning of the movie, bravo, I appeared to struggle with the ambiguity of human experience through the medium of cinema but it was all a ruse and you were too clever for me, now let me tell you more about my movie’s elder protocols.

because they can all get online now and find the wiki about their movies where it’s like, these clues suggest that Arrival takes place in the same universe as Toy Story, and they realize, this is my legacy, these are the people who will force their children to watch my movie a dozen times before they enter the critic factory and dissect my movie all over again and cement my place in history as they try to displace the issues they acquired being raised by parents who confuse understanding with police work, and so those directors, writers, even actors, etc. might as well work to override the robotic and absurd directives those future critics will receive with something the director, writer, actor would like mentioned in their own eulogy as “canon”
the concept of nerd canon and thinking of movies as alternate universes to be documented rather than works of art is a big problem for sure
the lesser talked about carpenter movies Prince of darkness and in the mouth of madness are very good and weird
I like In The Mouth of Madness a lot and I’m coming to realize that most of my problems with Prince of Darkness boil down to a personal bias against movies that say, you ever hear of the Bible Code? Ancient astronauts anyone? This professor in Japan swore at some water once and boy... which is arbitrary and pointless for me to maintain because I’m the only one who cares except for a bunch of Richard Dawkins book buyers and people who make movies are probably always going to be fascinated by those sorts of stories
the recurring dream in Prince of Darkness is one of the most effective parts of any of Carpenter’s movies at doing what he does best
Prince of darkness is really good because a corpse man says "pray for death" and then proceeds to disassemble into a swarm of bugs

cars posted:

the recurring dream in Prince of Darkness is one of the most effective parts of any of Carpenter’s movies at doing what he does best

that plot point is so insane and out of nowhere i don't think anyone else could have come up with that

also i think the goofy ancient aliens lovecraft stuff in prince of darkness is pretty excusable seeing as it was 1987. was there anything else in "mainstream" culture referencing that stuff at that time
I’m pretty sure the Prince of Darkness thing is just me holding onto stubborn hindsight crap picked up as a true 90s kid who watched those movies a couple times back then and again like... what does that do except make it harder for me personally to like something good, I’m not waging a secret mind war against famous director John Carpenter and it has nothing to do with crap I think is actually bad for movies, like a director declaring after he’s made three movies that a character in each of them is secretly the same mysterious immortal entity of “pure fetish” as part of a master plan, when it’s pretty clear that they just reveal his limited ideas of how to make a character threatening and badass, then he makes a lesbian exploitation movie about that entity possessing young models and calls it The Neon Demon and it’s really boring
Braindead (aka Dead Alive) is the best comedy splatter horror because of the lawnmower scene and also the kung fu priest saying "I kick arse for the lord!!". It's kind of a shame that LOTR made Jackson disappear up his own arse and start making overlong garbage like King Kong and the Hobbit bullshit when all he really should be working on is a proper remastered release of Braindead uncut which is only available as a shitty german bootleg now.

AZ_IZ_OT posted:

have any of you seen Kill List?

its great

lo posted:

shriekingviolet posted:

The Witch really shot itself in the foot marketing itself as a horror movie, which sets up wrong expectations that make people hate it. It's a really excellent film as just a straight up drama about how puritans were shitty people and catastrophically bad at life, the madness embedded bone deep into settler culture, and some bonus atmosphere as a garnish.

its a horror movie, just not the 'a ghost jumps out and scares you' kind

Yeah, this says far more about the terrible tastes of amerikkkans than its effectiveness as a horror movie. I was thinking about this today and it all comes down to what you want out of the genre - essentially horror is defined by the intense negative emotions its ment to evoke - fear, disgust, unease, dread; which means that its a rediculously broad catch all term while simultaniously being very narrow in peoples opinions of what "horror" is. The "enjoyment" of horror is entirely subjective - differnet people are afraid of dfferent things, what people find uneasy and unsettling often depends on peoples lived experience, different situations resonate with some people much more strongly than others. I can watch a film that makes me feel absolutly petrified and finishing it feels like taking my first breath for 90 minutes and then someone else will go and say that they found it boring and not scary - thats art. I think that return to oz is a great horror movie, other people think i am stupid for saying this :shrug:.

i find the best films are the ones that invoke an oppressive sense of tension and dread; and especially if it manages to capture a sort of ineffable sense of malice in mundane situations, relationships and the very landscape that surrounds them - kill list was mentioned above and this is such a great example, watching it reminded me of watching audition and a bunch of other japanese horror for the first time; but both the witch and it comes at night do this as well hence the inevitable "boring and slow and not scary" complaints

anyway i want an adaptation of disch's the genocides; that wil bring me the despair and hoplessness i crave

tpaine posted:

never saw frankenstein

but what about young frankenstein?

swampman posted:

Gyo Tokyo Fish Attack

it's happening ppl and right on time

tpaine posted:

fire in the sky is pretty good

cars posted:

how falling in love with people means loving their bodies but then everyone’s body becomes nauseating sometimes

sexual encounters are alien encounters. mysterious skin came too close to this. it was a part of an embarrassingly (sigur ros level) alienated phase in my life.

i follow the party line here - the thing is GOAT. i am not big on survival horror games but the tie-in game was good too. it replicated the paranoia of the movie in a squad shooter with a sanity/trust system, a system almost as effective as the underwater portions of sonic's labyrinth zone.
sticking to the contemporary anglo horror scene (avoiding b&w classics like caligari, vampyr, freaks, etc and j-horror), i second low budget horror-comedies (along with petrol) like peter jackson's oedipal workout braindead. in the 21st century, Neil Marshall's dog soldiers was similarly satisfying. watch it tpayne. some would say his second flick the descent is better. its a platonic 'allegory of the (feminist) cave' - women trapped in the womb of nature.
ending this roll
[account deactivated]
I really enjoyed the descent but I don't know if that's because it was good or because getting stuck in a cave is a particularly horrifying thing, to me
maybe the answer lies somewhere in the middle
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
funny i just watched a film which ended with the two main charecters being disolved by digestive enzymes after being lured into crawling into the digestive system of a subterranian creature masquerading as an underground crypt
They Live chat itt makes me think perhaps posters might be interested in my hyperleftist university's film theory class syllabus, so:

Citizen Kane
The Bicycle Thieves
They Live
Rear Window <- i am here
Mulholland Drive
Princess Mononoke
weird stuff (shorts)
Interstellar
The Red Shoes
Oh right university has a different meaning in the uk

tpaine posted:

FUCK. THE. CAVES.