anyway the bloc owns. rip gilles duceppe, the charmingest ex marxoteen in canadian politics since Sr Trudeau

drwhat posted:

that's all really nice getfiscal but everything that happened was based on one of the biggest bald faced lies about how the canadian political system actually functions legally. sure blah blah capital but the crime was done in media.

That was a dumb argument that some Conservatives made but it wasn't the reason that the GG prorogued parliament and I'm sure it didn't factor into her decision. Anyway the GG ended up right, Stephane Dion did not have the confidence of the House.

drwhat posted:

anyway the bloc owns. rip gilles duceppe, the charmingest ex marxoteen in canadian politics since Sr Trudeau

I still miss him.

i regret to inform you that jihad jagmeet is actually good

While campaigning in a region of Quebec known as a sovereignist stronghold, newly elected NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said he would respect the province's right to separate if Quebecers voted in favour of it.

Singh made the comment Tuesday in Alma, Que., about 250 kilometres north of Quebec City.

It was Singh's first foray into the province's regions since he was elected. After shaking hands with supporters and sampling cheese curds and blueberry pie, Singh was asked, in French, what he would do if Quebec chose to separate from Canada.

He said that, personally, he would want the country to stay together, but he wouldn't stand in the way if Quebecers voted for sovereignty.

"We will respect the decision of the people, without fail, without a doubt," he said.

Singh said he considers self-determination to be a fundamental right, and he respects all rights equally.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/jagmeet-singh-sovereignty-1.4349085

that's been the NDP position for a while. the basic position is that they will respect the spirit of the supreme court reference on the issue while also respecting the quebec law on referenda. the snag is that one contradicts the other. the supreme court basically says that calling it self-determination stretches the truth a bit but that canada would be forced to negotiate if quebec votes in a clear majority for independence to a clear question. the quebec law does not require a clear majority and does not require something the supreme court would consider a clear question. there are gaps in the wording of the supreme court's argument which the NDP wiggled into, which doesn't really make sense. the supreme court is imagining a threshold beyond which the desire for independence is so clear that the mandate for negotiations isn't in doubt. in 50%+1, the threshold is a single vote, which doesn't work in their conception of the problem.
laisse-moi lui parler
I mean, every party's position on Quebec is more about what sounds good right now and less about an actual consistent and actionable policy in the event of a successful referendum because making people think about how messy it would really be isn't a good way to score votes out of anyone, separatist or federalist.
it's not really a hot ticket issue these days anyway, so it's very safe for him to say that.

cool halloween makeover sv

jagmeet singh meets with wwf champion jinder mahal to discuss electoral strategy

shriekingviolet posted:

mean girls av gets you instant mod powers in the pdf forum

drwhat posted:

mod powers in the pdf forum

Pacific Rim: Hotel Following
So a little trade war has brewed up in the wake of the British Columbia government enacting stricter anti-spill regulations in the aftermath of a pretty gnarly pipeline spill, which will interfere with oil pipeline projects coming out of Alberta.

In response, the Alberta NDP took the bait from the freshly minted wingnut UCP (you heard that right, Alberta's new conservative alliance is the You See Pee,) and instituted a boycott of BC wines. This pathetic attempt to pander to a voter base that is going to hate them no matter what they do has managed to piss off literally everyone: the NDP's leftist base is pissed about their cavalier attitude towards pipelines and environmentalism, the conservative mob they stupidly tried to appease is pissed off by anything that can be portrayed as "anti-business," and Alberta's alcoholic demographic (read: everyone) is pissed about the loss of access to shitty yuppie wine.

I knew there was absolutely no chance the NDP would win the next election here, but I'm genuinely surprised how hard they've worked to earn losing it. The question is no longer whether the NDP caucus is huffing paint, but how much?

You didn't hear it from me, but the Alberta NDP have stonewalled the govt workers union in collective bargaining, refused any negotiation, and sent the whole mess to arbitration, over the sole demand of measures to increase job security because they all know they're going to be fucked once the election comes and the freshly minted wingnut UCP dismantle the entire province.

So now that they've scratched unions off the list, our NDP have achieved 100% completion of their goal to alienate every single demographic that supports them. They did it! Good job!! This fucking province
"people are complaining abt unions therefore if we fuck over unions people will lov eus" - every boring socdem from jim callaghan afterwards
happy KKKlanada day
doug ford becoming premier of ontario is bad but i think there's still a chance he will just fuck things up like his brother instead of doing massive direct harm like mike harris. like i don't know if he wants to pick big battles or just grind away at things even more. there are signs in either direction. i could see him falling for scams like workfare or something like that, i dunno, so whatever. we'll see. i imagine he'd be more like harper, who sort of gave up on ideas like privatizing health care in exchange for trying to get conservatives to rule forever, but i have no idea because some anti-poverty activists here are saying he's planning to go hog wild.
a lot of people gave rob ford shit for being a crack smoking mayor, but its the mayors who dont smoke crack you should watch out for
when rob ford became mayor he gave a consulting firm a mandate to come up with a list of everything that he could cut without breaking the law (excluding police obviously) and the report was like "libraries: an idea that has passed", but then liberals flipped out (they like libraries) and he only got a fraction of the cuts he wanted really. doug ford is promising a similar process but i feel like the real grind will just be trying to contract out more hospital stuff and cutting support staff in schools.
I feel like the political environment is more favorable to dougie being able to slash and burn, with not only the advent of far right politics in the rest of the west but also the absolute total collapse of even halfhearted Liberal opposition locally. I guess it's going to be a testing grounds, whether increased grassroots mobilization (which I seem to be seeing, though I'm an entire continent away so my perspective is distorted) can outpace the sudden loss of institutional resistance. but as in all things, my outlook is to maintain hope while assuming the worst, so, RIP ontario
if the ndp had won and kept their promises, my disability payments would have risen over time to like $1,500+ a month. instead i think ford is going to freeze them at $1,150 a month and probably get rid of a bunch of other helpful shit. oh well!!!
correct me if im wrong but that seems like maybe enough to afford somewhere to live but not enough to live in it

ialdabaoth posted:

correct me if im wrong but that seems like maybe enough to afford somewhere to live but not enough to live in it

the official city of toronto website tells me that a one-bedroom apartment that is officially considered "affordable" is average $962 a month. in my personal situation though i am fine because i earned money working part-time as a teaching assistant and union campaigner, which is obviously pretty rare though.

I have a lot of friends who are gonna lose their homes in Toronto (and not be able to find another) if rent control goes belly up, which is supposedly another thing on the chopping block. Hearsay tells me a community oversight of cops program just got the axe?

getfiscal posted:

if the ndp had won and kept their promises,

i think ford promised that rent control will be grandfathered in for existing tenants. although if they mostly repeal it beyond that then it will create lot of opportunities for landlords to kick out tenants, which they can often find a way to do. i dunno though, not an expert. i am probably just going to move home soon so whatever.
i want to learn more about housing activism so if anyone has stuff to read about that then let me know. a maoite sent me a booklet about it once but i never got around to it.

getfiscal posted:

ialdabaoth posted:

the official city of toronto website tells me that a one-bedroom apartment that is officially considered "affordable" is average $962 a month. in my personal situation though i am fine because i earned money working part-time as a teaching assistant and union campaigner, which is obviously pretty rare though.

you're also rolling in harper's money so i'm sure you'll be good

lol. i did not get paid much for the writing but i am pleased to have monetized. within hours a few different people said i was risking becoming the new sam kriss, so i know i have good online friends.
getfriscle has anyone told you that you had stalin's eyes

[account deactivated]
If anybody knows any grassroots organizations doing good work with housing or refugees in Toronto please let me know

getfiscal posted:

i want to learn more about housing activism so if anyone has stuff to read about that then let me know.

i recall xipe was doing a lot of work around housing in dublin/ireland. i could also collate some things from housing struggle in spain / catalunya. while each is probably a different legal context than kanada there might be something to learn in the exchange.

i dont think there is a housing thread yet?

Caesura109 posted:

were hoping to move to canada but rent and housing in places with actually employment here is ridiculous

the thing that bothers me the most about renting to be honest is that i know whatever shitty apartment i have will end up having problems. it's just a given. like it's not even a fair exchange. you get vermin or broken appliances or leaks or whatever. it's like the average apartments out there are just lemons.

Belphegor posted:

If anybody knows any grassroots organizations doing good work with housing or refugees in Toronto please let me know

i remember there was a organisation around a lot when i was in school called ocap, ontario coalition against poverty. can't really comment on the specifics of the organisation, i didn't get too involved. might be good place to start.

theres some new guy who's gonna start working at my job who is leaving some sort of public housing ngo, what shd i ask him