we're currently enduring a non-binding government postal survey (kind of like a referendum but much more stupid) about whether gays should be able to gay marry each other. if the "no" camp is to be believed, a "yes" result will lead to the "rainbow fascists" violently enforcing gender fluidity training in our schools - boys being made to wear dresses, cats rooting dogs, etc.

i think i need to stop reading the news until after this shit dies down. the past couple of days alone have featured a "straight lives matter" rally in the gay heart of sydney, and a former prime minister and prominent right wing loudmouth being headbutted by an "anarchist barista and DJ" calling himself Astro Labe. reality is becoming too stupid even by very low australian standards
imagine how much more stupid things are gonna get when we finally have some sorta prolonged economic crisis too
We just had a general election which returned us to the classic genre of a minor right-nationalist party being able to singlehandedly determine who governs. Posting itt as a diplomatic mission forwarding Anzac solidarity.
[account deactivated]
of course he can!
well he couldn't before
how much is it in real green dollars to help make an australian kid gay
http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/mining/tony-abbott-says-defence-powers-should-be-used-to-force-states-to-approve-mining-projects/news-story/d5fbbd8de55dbc4658765dc8fc1a9efe

so uhhhhh
the guy quoted in that article who says the high court would never allow it outside of wartime is right. toney is just forever salty he got deposed and says some random ultra right wing shit every day to undermine turnbull. besides, the states hardly need to be held at gunpoint to approve shady mining operations lol
ahahahahha

Malcolm Roberts blames wife’s absence for citizenship drama
The Australian
1:26PM September 29, 2017
ROSIE LEWIS

One Nation senator Malcolm Roberts has launched an unusual defence of the steps he took to renounce his British citizenship, saying his wife, whom he is greatly dependent on, was seriously unwell and overseas in the lead up to last year’s election.

In his official submission to the High Court, which was filed a day late, Senator Roberts’ legal team argues “his case is stronger” than the six other MPs facing disqualification from federal parliament because he “positively rejected the notion of being a British citizen”.

High Court judge Patrick Keane last week found Senator Roberts, who was born in India to a Welsh father and became a naturalised Australian in 1974, was a British citizen by descent when he nominated for the Senate.

“Senator Roberts’ case is unique among those now before this court,” the submission says.

“His subjective belief was that he was only Australian. He however, alone, sensibly appreciated the possibility he might be wrong. The fundamental fact remains he did not know or believe he was anything other than Australian. In that regard, his case is on all fours with the others.”

Senator Roberts wrote an e-mail on May 6 with the subject heading “Am I still a British citizen?” to a non-existent address, though he maintains he believed he was writing to the British government.

Further emails were sent to non-existent addresses on June 6, after he signed an official nomination form for the Senate election.

“That email was ineffective under British law for the simple reason it was not received by any agent of Great Britain. lt appears to have literally gone into the ether,” his submission states.

“If it had been received it would still have been ineffective for three highly technical reasons being: lt would still have been sent to the wrong address (albeit that would have been the correct address up to 2012); No payment of a fee was enclosed; There was no “declaration of the truth” of the matters contained in the email.”

The submission outlines Senator Roberts’ “circumstances” that led him to the steps he took to renounce his UK citizenship, which he concedes were initially “ineffective under British law”.

Those circumstances included that he was “not a lawyer let alone a constitutional lawyer” and that his wife, “on whom he places great reliance for her assistance”, was suffering from a serious illness between April and August 2016 and had also spent large amounts of time in the US looking after he dying mother.

“At no time has he ever believed he was a British citizen. The highest that can be said against him is that he had a level of suspicion that he might be,” the submission says.

“Senator Roberts was brought up in a household which imbued in him a strong national identity as an Australian and only an Australian.”

whoever is representing this clown has a gigantic set of balls

[account deactivated]
*wiggles eyebrows at u*

blinkandwheeze posted:

We just had a general election which returned us to the classic genre of a minor right-nationalist party being able to singlehandedly determine who governs. Posting itt as a diplomatic mission forwarding Anzac solidarity.

who do you think hes going to go with

i think the sudden rise in the national base calling for a greens coalition indicates that they're scurred. are u from here?
i am. the articles and internet comments about nat/greens have been so pervasive that i figured it was paid for. them ending up in opposition even though they didn't really 'lose' is probably the funniest possible outcome, imagine the leadership bloodbath they'll have.
i think it's paid for too which i think means whoever the benefactors are probably seeing the writing on the wall. it could be a bargaining ploy but it's so unrealistic it just seems desperate. Where you at my guy.
im in wellington, yourself?
same let's chill.
i dont know if im ready to meet a person from the irony stalin forum irl yet but that is a nice offer, i'll keep it in mind
please note by chill i meant "form a khmer rougeist cell" by the way.
angkar shall return and bring all urban dwellers to year zero
jesus christ

blinkandwheeze posted:

i think the sudden rise in the national base calling for a greens coalition indicates that they're scurred.

Blink and wheeze vindicated once again

blinkandwheeze posted:

blinkandwheeze posted:

i think the sudden rise in the national base calling for a greens coalition indicates that they're scurred.

Blink and wheeze vindicated once again

congrats to the labour party on forming a government

winston's speech forwarding a more radical perspective on capitalism than the labour party themselves is very funny.
brainstorm ideas for a thread title change pls, inclusive of our oceanian allies

Edited by Chthonic_Goat_666 ()

Trans Tasman Express
Wendal T. Wolf's Down-Under Dance-Off
ive unilaterally changed the thread name.

Chthonic_Goat_666 posted:

thank you

Chthonic_Goat_666 posted:

didnt she preface it with "in recent times", subtext, lets make capitalism great again

Gibbonstrength posted:

didnt she preface it with "in recent times", subtext, lets make capitalism great again

the quote being referred to is probably not from our new PM(that getfiscal is a real scamp) but from the leader of NZ first, who said that capitalism needed to regain its human face in his speech when he announced he was going into coalition with labour. tho labour have made generic 'neoliberalism was a mistake' type statements before, and seem to want to be more interventionist(but certainly not anticapitalist) in the new government.

lo posted:

capitalism needed to regain its human face

its funny actually because even though what he said is pretty uncontroversial liberal stuff there was like an editorial about whether capitalism really was the problem with societys issues, and ppl complaining that hes an insane leftist now or whatever.
its almost as if the mythologizing of 20th century fascism made everyone forget how right wing nationalists employ anticapitalist rhetoric to boost their popularity

Petrol posted:

its almost as if the mythologizing of 20th century fascism made everyone forget how right wing nationalists employ anticapitalist rhetoric to boost their popularity

well sure but the rhetoric in this case isn't even really anticapitalist, its the standard idea that capitalism is basically good but has gone off on the wrong path and become bad. but we can make it better(for us, not for immigrants though, they're part of the problem)