PSL turned me into a tech bro... im elon musk now.. singulatiry is real
i think its really funny how much irl organizing gets caught up in social media klout score dick measuring contests in that it symbolizes the Endsieg of capitalistic modernity barring the markets shitting the bed
im glad youre back but what
*lights a single candle in front of my framed photograph of comrade xi, starts slamming my copy of lenins collected works into my head repeatedly while chanting about the tendency of the rate of profit to fall*
deoressive shit posting??? literally the only reason the internet exists??.
ah. re: klout comment for those who werent aware there are people in national and the locals who, as part of their duties, comb member's social media

JohnBeige posted:

ah. re: klout comment for those who werent aware there are people in national and the locals who, as part of their duties, comb member's social media

do they comb it for like dissident opinions or what

Lmao
Hey guys what's a good ML organization to join in the US? I didn't read the past three pages of this thread by the way.
[account deactivated]

lo posted:

JohnBeige posted:

ah. re: klout comment for those who werent aware there are people in national and the locals who, as part of their duties, comb other member's social media

the purpose is supposed to be for positions taken before national leadership (or the party Congress) adopts a position. for example, 'PSL twitter' adopted a range of positions regarding the DSA troop, but recently national contacted the membership and informed them that PSL does in fact recruit active duty, and that all public communication members made regarding the issue should be deleted, regardless of the opinion being expressed. in practice however, yeah, its often used to bring membership in line, though its fairly spotty and some people have higher profiles than others so that results in more attention being drawn to them.

mediumpig posted:

Hey guys what's a good ML organization to join in the US? I didn't read the past three pages of this thread by the way.

eh. lenin said some shit about the need to dissolve the microsects when conditions change and the masses get engaged because they adopt reactionary positions out of a desire to protect their turf. im not sure there is an ML party in the US that doesnt count as a microsect at this point, though PSL is certainly the largest of the three ML options.

mediumpig posted:

llco

JohnBeige posted:

lo posted:

JohnBeige posted:

ah. re: klout comment for those who werent aware there are people in national and the locals who, as part of their duties, comb other member's social media

the purpose is supposed to be for positions taken before national leadership (or the party Congress) adopts a position. for example, 'PSL twitter' adopted a range of positions regarding the DSA troop, but recently national contacted the membership and informed them that PSL does in fact recruit active duty, and that all public communication members made regarding the issue should be deleted, regardless of the opinion being expressed.

ahhahaha seriously

comrade, it's come to my attention that you recently tweeted "i found a pic of the DSA troop" and attached a photo of a large pig with what appears to be feces on its testicles. this breaks so many party regulations i don't know where to start.
oh my god you poor unfortunate souls. i did a little work once with a clandestine internet-heavy organization practicing really heavy security and they never, ever considered it necessary to police our personal lives or e-presence. what the fuck is going on.
lots of good comrades in PSL and im not one to pigjacket but if we assume, and i think we should, that every org is infiltrated, then there are certain practices that are actively damaging to the organization that are currently in place, and we have to think about what those practices are and who they benefit. ive said a few times in the thread that i think national<->local communication is the largest internal problem but it should be fairly obvious that there are others.
central committee: what is that man doing to his anus?
Liberal: the soviet secret police literally monitored every citizen to make sure they obeyed the party
pumpkin spice latte member: thats western propaganda lies, but also we do that
you see slate voting of pre selected slates selected by the executive central committees is how unions do it, and therefore correct. the slate is, of course, essentially all current Central executive committee members

if you vote against the slate, unfortunate. we will have to reconvene the executive central committee to generate a new pre selected slate of the central committee members for you to vote on
One of the other things the local bylaws did was make the steering committee the members elected to lead various committees. this was designed to dissuade slate voting, voices on SC that were not involved in actually doing work, encouraging specialization of labor, and encouraging full members to take the initiative and propose new committees, provided they could outline the specific parameters by which the committee would operate. It worked fairly well, with some committees having a lot of involvement from the membership, though pressures with a growing membership could have made the structure fail, and certain committees (like the organizing committee) would likely eventually require multiple heads or division of a single committee into multiple.
look, it may seem like rigid adherence to demcen is overkill and counterproductive, but you can't argue with western ML parties track record of success in the postwar period, particularly at preventing factionalism

now, let me read the latest resolution from our new splinter party, the WSPP (Xi Tendency): "On the Correct Handling of the Peoria YMCA Bulletin Board"
The best party to join is any group you notice putting up big character posters
i've always said we need to propose more committees here
In all sewiousness though its fun to read the guy affected be like yeah there's some ups and downs to how the current party structure works while nearly everyone else nervously fantasizes about first joining an org then getting kicked out for their shitty posts
when u wna be taken seriously as a political organizer but also u want to tweet stalin memes at chelsea manning

stegosaurus posted:

The best party to join is any group you notice putting up big character posters

The Subliminal Anthropo-phallo-morphist Accelerationists have that down

a single male friend came over and my daughter asked "are you a dad" and he said no so she asked "so what are you?", completely owning him without even trying. chip off the ol block
lol
i teach a lot of tutorials for philosophy at the university im studying at, and its weird how fucked australian education standards are when it comes to university courses. a lot of foreign students have told me that in the US and europe the philosophy courses are based around doing deep readings of a few authors. Like an intro to philosophy will involve some readings in ancient greek ethics, some descartes, that sort of thing. here the standard is, lets do a surface level second hand reading on a different topic every week. Which is fine as a curiosity or "yeah i took a philosophy course at uni once" but students are left unequipped for anything beyond very shallow discussion (outside those who are particularly engaged/switched on). So it seems like a lot of wasted time really. I love the teaching and discussion and i have fun challenging their intuitions but it seems like a very bad way of approaching education
it's probably the same here as i once signed up for a basic 100 level philosophy course, which was titled Knowledge and Reality or something equally unsuspicious, and in the first lecture they said the class would be about time travel & the required textbook was called Science Fiction & Philosophy so i immediately dropped it.
That literally happened to me except it was a 400 course called "Metaphysics" with a hidden subtitle of "Time Travel", and instead of dropping out the first day I never did the final paper and failed
sorry to hear about the bad experiences. my class on time travel led me to invent a time machine I used to go back and convince myself to build a potato gun bong instead, unfortunately I left Stalin's final clone in a 2D wife factory on Mars so we'll just have to wait on that.

mediumpig posted:

That literally happened to me except it was a 400 course called "Metaphysics" with a hidden subtitle of "Time Travel", and instead of dropping out the first day I never did the final paper and failed

if you'd paid attention you'd have the means to fix this

blinkandwheeze posted:

it's probably the same here as i once signed up for a basic 100 level philosophy course, which was titled Knowledge and Reality or something equally unsuspicious, and in the first lecture they said the class would be about time travel & the required textbook was called Science Fiction & Philosophy so i immediately dropped it.

and to think i was somewhat regretful about not taking any philosophy courses when i was there..

i took a course called 'japanese literature in translation' that was all anime shit. i lost marks because i just got fed up and left the lecture hall on the day the professor put on 'porco rosso'
You suck dude porco rosso is ftw
lmao porco rosso is sogood also it is extremely good when your own brother voices the opinion that closed border policy is extremely good when he has no idea what that policy entails and voices concerns akin to trump even though that has been a major argument and he has taken the liberal side but has little conversational affect because he has been working a blue collar job for the past 4 years and had read nothing of substace since 2009, so yeah fuck studio ghibli post NausicaƤ of the Wind

parabolart posted:

lmao porco rosso is sogood also it is extremely good when your own brother voices the opinion that closed border policy is extremely good when he has no idea what that policy entails and voices concerns akin to trump even though that has been a major argument and he has taken the liberal side but has little conversational affect because he has been working a blue collar job for the past 4 years and had read nothing of substace since 2009, so yeah fuck studio ghibli post NausicaƤ of the Wind

Porco rosso is a cool movie about a pig man that flies a plane

man going to be homeless again in like 1.5 months. gonna lumpen the shit out of all my living moments. also likw ive said fuck all who have called nodic/scandinavian countries some kind of utopian wonderlands. marginally better yeah i guess but i dont srsly have to check my fucking privilege