The world is a vampire
lifting weight is good. cottage cheese is good if consumed in a 50:50 ratio with black pepper. these are my thoughts on these matters.
i recently discovered that the thing they call "cottage cheese" in the uk makes cottage cheese (us and canada version) seem like a magical culinary triumph of food taste and texture. this fucking country is gross
[account deactivated]
Going to memorize this song phonetically so when the DPRK liberates amerika I can entertain the labor camp guards with a toothless braying of
This won't play on my phone, but could be good Liberation workout music

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/59dce169736f5-dprk-rebels-without-a-break.php
[account deactivated]

the trick to cottage cheese is to open it and immediately eat either the entire thing or throw the rest away. it becomes alabaster slime after 15 minutes exposure to air

Belphegor posted:

Gonna apply to the Jewish community centre gym soon, it seems to be less flashy than some of the other ones around me.

at my place there is this older hasid who comes in only from like 8-10pm and does crazy ab and shoulder workouts in a long sleeved shirt and long pants. like lying head down on an angled bench with a 45lb weight on his chest and doing rapid fire situps. they can do 1000 now

tears posted:

I switched to a ~99% Soylent diet near the beginning of March last year. I stayed as consistent with it as I could. Back then it was Soylent 1.4. After just a week, a week and a half, of nothing but Soylent I felt great! (Aside from some acidic bowel movements but those were quickly resolved by taking the psyllium husk suggestion in these forums) I had more energy, my rests were shorter by much more restful, I had better performance at the gym in my workouts, I felt like I could concentrate better than ever... it was as if I was getting proper nutrition for the first time in my life.

But then the switch to 1.5 happened. It took a while but maybe a month or two before switching to 2.0 when it released, what, a month early? I began to feel more and more lethargic. It was so gradual that I didn't really realize how bad it was getting. Was my body getting too used to Soylent? Was it some change from 1.4 to 1.5 that wasn't agreeing with me? I don't know what happened and I barely noticed, just living day to day doing my thing.

I jumped on the 2.0 train because I loved the idea of the improved convenience it promised. I liked the taste of 1.4 better than 1.5, but 2.0 has definitely been my favorite tasting Soylent. But when it came to how I felt, my energy, my performance physically and mentally, it was still slowly declining. And I still wouldn't really notice a change until recently because of how gradual it was. The switch from "normal" healthy diet (lean meats, vegetables, no processed foods, water as only drink) to all 1.4 had me feeling amazing for months. With a huge leap the first couple of weeks until it was more gradual. Maybe because my physical and mental performance had improved so it was helping to naturally improve myself further. 1.4 to 1.5 I didn't notice the change until I started 2.0. First week or two I noticed my performance at the gym was gradually decreasing. Like just before switching to 1.5 I worked my way up to being able to do 12 pull-ups. A personal record! But at the end of 1.5/start of 2.0 I was doing well to get 3 or 4 in. I shrugged it off as just a bad day, everyone has those, but I could never get back, never improve. Then in late November, early December I noticed I was having trouble focusing. I was lucky enough to start a new job the first week of November but I still find it difficult to focus as well as I want to, as well as I remember being able at the height of 1.4.

Mid January I decided I needed to make a change again. I knew my one year experiment I put forth for myself to go all in on Soylent, so see if the calorie and nutritional control would help. It seemed to help very well for a while. But assessing how I've been feeling the past few months... lethargic, tired, having difficulty thinking and processing things to the point of taking noticeably long pauses before I speak... I dunno, I feel a far cry form how amazing 1.4 initially had me feeling. I feel as if I've slipped backwards so much.

any advice op?

Common sense free market ideology says that you should start a soylent competitor that preserves the 1.4 formulation. Then you get huge like the soylent founder also did

karphead posted:

i took out my core day when i started having constant back pain about a year ago.

Have you tried hula hoop? Ha ha! Seriously tho, I'll try your routine for a round when my arms are matched up better.. at the moment the weaker one makes bench press and pullup type exercises impossible. Looks like some scary shit. Do you do any plain cardio whatsoever? Could you alongside that schedule?

mediumpig posted:

I've wanted to start exercising regularly for over a year but this nagging calf injury, seemingly some kind of tear I didn't directly notice at the time which didn't heal correctly, flares up whenever I do a bit of running/swimming. I kept taking longer and longer breaks from exercise hoping it would go away but it hasn't. I did about a month of physical therapy which was terribly expensive and doing the recommended stretches for two months with basically no effect. I guess the next step is to go back to the orthopedist and see what they have to say? Anyway it's been terribly discouraging and depressing and I'm pretty sure I don't want to live if I can't play basketball or swim ever.

My one friend was helping me learn to lift over the summer, something I'd never really done and doesn't generally require my legs, but since he's moved for work I haven't been back.

As for diet I'm gaining weight cause of eating too much taco bell and drinking too much. But when I'm not depressed I eat fairly ok, don't really buy any junk food mostly eating rice and beans or pasta or whatever with vegetables (I'm vegetarian). This reminded me I should start eating oatmeal again.

There are three muscles in the calf that can each be exercised independently using free weights, a chair and a short piece of wood. I assume you've already isolated the torn muscle and tried lifting gently with it. A huge issue with these kinds of injuries is that the nearby muscles will get stronger than the injured one faster and give a false sense of what is safe.

My trainer has walked me through a few different circuits that neatly skirt direct leverage against my healing bone, so even if I stopped working with them I could keep doing these circuits forever and make progress. So it might be worth it to just take 2-3 sessions from someone to get your lift routine going again.

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

the point is that in any case this is not "real" weight you have gained and will be entirely gone within a few days. and the swings are actually minimal, "gaining" three pounds on a given day may seem like a big hiccup, but it's probably a fluctuation of less than 2% of your body weight. even if you have a serious binge day, you'll probably only eat maybe one or two pounds' worth of calories above your average.

Bodyweight is nearly as bad as IQ in terms of direct measure of an actual human quality. So even though nutrition and hydration have a more direct effect on your body fat, measurable exercise is vital just so that you have a concept of progress outside of your "ideal" body shape.

im blessed with lazy genetics to keep me from gorging myself in shitty food all the time so i keep myself in decent skinnyfat weight yo-yoing between 63-66kg 182cm. or maybe its depression. w/e the comradettes like my looks

Petrol posted:

i am a fat guy who wants to have more energy to keep up with my kid who wears me out and he's not even walking yet. but i dont really care about optimal fitness regimes or whatever so my solution will simply be eat a bit better and walk more now that the weather's improving. thanks for reading.

Getting out of fatness is incredibly hard, much harder than the subsequent journey of becoming a looming meat mechanism. As long as you make yourself sweat and breathe hard once every day, and drink a big glass of water before every meal, you will do ok

cars posted:

a treadmill and a pair of handcuffs is the yuppie bondage starter set. good luck OP.

everything is bourgeois to you, yet you've never trained to escape custody

but sincerely that is great. children have so much energy all the time, its a good idea. my daughter, man....nobody should be that excited about getting to walk through black massachusets snow up to their waist

your daughter needs to lift

TG posted:

i lift 3-4 days a week and am a bit bummed that i am not gaining much strength or mass. i should probably do some reading and change up my routine a bit, but i am content to do what i do cause its really more about keeping myself to a practice that involves exercise and alone time, almost meditation

about six months ago i started doing it at 6am instead of 6pm because my stupid body wont let me sleep much past 5:45 so i might as well be productive during that time

i am really bad about eating breakfast, inasmuch as i dont eat any solid food. on days i lift i drink a protein shake that includes milk, berries, a banana, and some kale. i will try incorporating the two eggs and oatmeal. even though i know that energy and mood are tied to what you've eaten i still don't eat breakfast for some unknown reason

Post ur lift program bro Are you getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night?

dont seem to be able to open a thread without someone referencing their dick and balls, didnt really know where to post this observation so i thought id put it in the thead for dudes comparing their muscles

roseweird posted:

i'm a vampire and i eat blood

Sounds awesome if kind of gross. I hear u get mad gains from eating blood and having an imoortality pact w satan.

toyotathon posted:

irony posting by forum women and diet confessionals by forum men, i can't even tell if this is patriarchy or what

Come to brooklyn, open a women's only gym that advertises "Women, come in here, get fucking huge, when a man harasses you, beat him half to death" I'll get you the space. You can organize a women's militia out of it

gyrofry posted:

cottage cheese is good if consumed in a 50:50 ratio with black pepper.

i'll get back to you on this. sounds like the most odious kind of bullshit but we'll see.

drwhat posted:

i recently discovered that the thing they call "cottage cheese" in the uk makes cottage cheese (us and canada version) seem like a magical culinary triumph of food taste and texture. this fucking country is gross

You know what I like to call it? Garbage cheese. Hahahaha. It's fucking sickening. Anyway, I support unlimited warfare between the US and UK.

troolari posted:

im blessed with lazy genetics to keep me from gorging myself in shitty food all the time so i keep myself in decent skinnyfat weight yo-yoing between 63-66kg 182cm. or maybe its depression. w/e the comradettes like my looks

Now imagine how the comrades (it's a gender neutral term) would react if you ran 5 days a week and lifted 4 and had 7% bodyfat and starred in a great number of Xmen movies about a crushable metal dog person

You know, I always want to "get yoked" because there are a lot of very large scary men in the world that I assume are very disturbed and violent, and it would be so cool to also be this counter-terror-body-mass, and like start getting into samurai swords and get a cool duster and learn how to get around town by rooftop...

I just can't get into lifting. Tai Chi otoh is pretty cool. For me it's like, how do I wither away almost totally, so as to need only the most minimal sustenance. This way, when everyone is fighting brutally for the last scraps, coming down off crazy sugar and protein withdrawal, I'll be like meditating on how this hand full of leaves will be my life force for the day and how my economy of motion must be sound at all times.

Sorry, this isn't really the anti-lifting thread, is it...

tears posted:

dont seem to be able to open a thread without someone referencing their dick and balls, didnt really know where to post this observation so i thought id put it in the thead for dudes comparing their muscles

Proud of everyone for not sharing their specific accomplishments, until now, I ran 11 miles last night

swampman posted:

troolari posted:

Now imagine how the comrades (it's a gender neutral term) would react if you ran 5 days a week and lifted 4 and had 7% bodyfat and starred in a great number of Xmen movies about a crushable metal dog person

yeah i was being a dick with the whole comradettes thing sry but yeah i used to lift when i weighed over 100kg 200lbs of fat and i could squat 1rep 1.5times my bodyweight and i cycled for 2 hours each day until my ptsd days demons just crushed my will to do anything besides satisfy my primal urges. i still got my czech 80s racing bicycle in with golden mavic rims in my parents warehouse. frame is all steel but shaved so it weighs like 1kg, bit rusted tho

swampman posted:

TG posted:

i lift 3-4 days a week and am a bit bummed that i am not gaining much strength or mass. i should probably do some reading and change up my routine a bit, but i am content to do what i do cause its really more about keeping myself to a practice that involves exercise and alone time, almost meditation

about six months ago i started doing it at 6am instead of 6pm because my stupid body wont let me sleep much past 5:45 so i might as well be productive during that time

i am really bad about eating breakfast, inasmuch as i dont eat any solid food. on days i lift i drink a protein shake that includes milk, berries, a banana, and some kale. i will try incorporating the two eggs and oatmeal. even though i know that energy and mood are tied to what you've eaten i still don't eat breakfast for some unknown reason

Post ur lift program bro Are you getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night?

i do four sets of increasing weight per exercise, 12, 10, 8, 6, except for exercises that are same weight. then i do ten each.

arms/shoulders:
overhead press
bicep curls
tricep extensions (alternate between lying and standing on different days)
upright barbell row
tricep pushdown
shrugs
i usually toss in some hip adductor/abductors at the end

back/core:
bench press
pullups
hanging leg raises
seated chest press
seated high row/seated cable row
machine assisted crunches
pec fly

legs:
squats
leg curl
leg press
lunges
leg extension
calf machine

i used to do deadlifts but i cant get the form right and virtually always end up with some back pain. i also need to incorporate more abs. i do 50 crunches every morning and every night before bed

i get 6-7 hours of sleep per night, usually wake up randomly around 3 or 4 for no apparent reason. im in bed by 10 and read until about 11

[account deactivated]

swampman posted:

gyrofry posted:

cottage cheese is good if consumed in a 50:50 ratio with black pepper.

i'll get back to you on this. sounds like the most odious kind of bullshit but we'll see.

i should clarify that this should be weight rather than volume

swampman posted:

karphead posted:

i took out my core day when i started having constant back pain about a year ago.

Have you tried hula hoop? Ha ha! Seriously tho, I'll try your routine for a round when my arms are matched up better.. at the moment the weaker one makes bench press and pullup type exercises impossible. Looks like some scary shit. Do you do any plain cardio whatsoever? Could you alongside that schedule?

my program is built around what your 1RM (no holds barred, max weight you can lift) is for various excercises. as long as your honest with that then you should be safe with the weights you lift. i count my bike commuting as cardio because i hate it.

here's my program in Excel along with other ones i did thru the years: www.crepusculum.org/imago/LF/LiftAndLove.xlsx I currently do the 4-Day program that is now a 3-Day program.

also, i'm 5'11, 170lbs and I don't stick to my schedule, i'm not trying to kick sand in tear's face or anything or show my dick and balls to the last remaining woman on this forum. everyone should lift a weight.

swampman posted:

but sincerely that is great. children have so much energy all the time, its a good idea. my daughter, man....nobody should be that excited about getting to walk through black massachusets snow up to their waist

your daughter needs to lift

i agree

i think it would be sick as fuck to have a half asian five year old girl doing reps of the bar on the bench press; yet, my cuck soulmate is like "that's weird and dangerous,"

swampman posted:

everything is bourgeois to you, yet you've never trained to escape custody

don't kinkshame

as it happens though i did train to "unarrest" as an anarchist, both myself and others... don't know if they still call it that. but it's never been my motivation for working out, that's more because if i don't do that for like a week i get real grumpy
my workout motto is "strong like the viet cong". certainly you gain strength faster, gain bulk faster, with a good diet, lots of protein, but then your body needs that to maintain that. american soldiers were much larger and stronger on an individual basis, but it's the viet cong that were subsiding on rice and sparse veggies, carrying heavy packs through the jungle instead of flying it in.
guerrilla warfare can not guarantee constant food supply. i'd rather a body that was wiry and didn't require massive quantities of meat or protein shakes to avoid feeling weak.

Red_Canadian posted:

my workout motto is "strong like the viet cong". certainly you gain strength faster, gain bulk faster, with a good diet, lots of protein, but then your body needs that to maintain that. american soldiers were much larger and stronger on an individual basis, but it's the viet cong that were subsiding on rice and sparse veggies, carrying heavy packs through the jungle instead of flying it in.
guerrilla warfare can not guarantee constant food supply. i'd rather a body that was wiry and didn't require massive quantities of meat or protein shakes to avoid feeling weak.

This is something we should talk to a nutritionist about. In terms of powering through pain and hunger, practice rules, but you need protein to build strong muscle. And over time, underfeeding yourself deteriorates your organs. Probably good to work up some kind of rotation of harsh conditions and then not

TG it could very well be that you're over-training, which isn't a problem a lot of people have, and is like the easiest thing to fix if it turns out to be the case. That kind of discipline and dedication is great and withh a bit of adjustment you should be making great gains

chickeon posted:

TG it could very well be that you're over-training, which isn't a problem a lot of people have, and is like the easiest thing to fix if it turns out to be the case. That kind of discipline and dedication is great and withh a bit of adjustment you should be making great gains

interesting, this thought had not occurred to me. would you recommend cutting down on reps per exercise, so maybe just 12, 10, 8, or exercises per muscle group?

Petrol posted:

i am a fat guy who wants to have more energy to keep up with my kid who wears me out and he's not even walking yet. but i dont really care about optimal fitness regimes or whatever so my solution will simply be eat a bit better and walk more now that the weather's improving. thanks for reading.

oh fuck off with your "British Fat". like a "Milwaukee 8". i've seen things you people wouldn't believe

I'm mad online that I didn't follow this ref with "time to diet"