tpaine posted:

uh, rashomon?
[account deactivated]
I am sure it will play off the usual anti-USSR western propaganda but the nevertheless I am insanely excited for this

rolaids posted:

I am sure it will play off the usual anti-USSR western propaganda but the nevertheless I am insanely excited for this

hmm british accents, arrested development. me likey

[account deactivated]
anyone seen anything that has great costuming? i'm really boning up on my costumes and costume play.
Yeah I've seen some stuff like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJPJZtvfW3U

This made me cry. It works on a high level of irony, to the point where the Australian filmmakers appear to be psychotic. But then this irony is revealed to be false, and a lost sentimentality is rediscovered in what is normally considered its worst imitation: melodrama and propaganda. It is not a matter of cynicism vs earnestness. Rather, the irony of North Koreans is superior, and by teaching their craft they pull the Australians, and the audience, towards the truth.
it's really cool how the North Koreans share their spirit of worker solidarity, truth, peace and wisdom with everyone and all the Australian crew can do is relentlessly mock them the second they leave

Australian filmmaker: "Are you aware of climate change?"
North Korean filmmaker: "Do you think we live on the moon?"

Synergy posted:

it's really cool how the North Koreans share their spirit of worker solidarity, truth, peace and wisdom with everyone and all the Australian crew can do is relentlessly mock them the second they leave

Australian filmmaker: "Are you aware of climate change?"
North Korean filmmaker: "Do you think we live on the moon?"

jesus i cringed so much when she started using japanese words to the korean director

North Korean filmmaker: As an acting exercise for this scene I want you to hold this powerful emotion in your mind while you do some exercise to increase your heart rate then we'll shoot right away.

Australian filmmaker: Haha how zany, this means we should do 10 squats before filming anything.
wow an hour and a half about how these guys want to skip leg day. how pathetic.
just saw Attack the Block at an arthouse theatre, completely flew under my radar when it came out. 2 thumbs up for the super early reveal. good shit.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
It Was Good, Wasn't It Petrol?
I'm still recovering, and probably will be for some time.
Has anyone seen any comrade detective and is it good? or is it just anti-red propaganda
[account deactivated]

Edited by Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia ()

[account deactivated]

Petrol posted:

I saw mother!
So, you climbed the stairs out of the basement? Congrats.
[account deactivated]
Watching football (yeah I know) exposes me regularly to the state of normie network TV and while American culture has always been deeply reactionary and evil the brazen techno fascism has reached new heights.

The most aired commercial is for Wisdom of the Crowd, in which Jeremy Piven is a millionaire who crowd sources vigilante justice, something that of course worked very well for apprehending the Boston bombers. The second one is Scorpion, which seems to be Big Bang theory with drones. There's also two indistinguishable shows which consist simply of Troops doing Troop stuff, including more seal team six bullshit.

I know it's just mainstream TV but it seems like a new level of evil and odds are there's far more people watching this shit than Twin Peaks or the latest prestige TV.
I can't watch American football because the announcers are obsessed with these absolutely bizarre hero worship narratives about the players and it drives me up the fucking wall for christ's sake just talk about the game I don't care about the stoic heroism and and epic personal saga of some white dude who gets paid 7 billion dollars to hold a ball.

Also you have too many downs it is like playing with training wheels.

shriekingviolet posted:

I can't watch American football because the announcers are obsessed with these absolutely bizarre hero worship narratives about the players and it drives me up the fucking wall for christ's sake just talk about the game I don't care about the stoic heroism and and epic personal saga of some white dude who gets paid 7 billion dollars to hold a ball.

Also you have too many downs it is like playing with training wheels.

I want to argue that there are more clear headed football fans who see past the easy narratives but unfortunately they instead go the complete opposite direction and reduce some poor fuckers only chance to pull their family out of poverty to "look at these graphs; there's no reason to provide this 26 year old running back guaranteed benefits"

i like football
"lets take the terible game rugby and make it even less watchable" - the idiot yank who invetned yank football

rolaids posted:

Watching football (yeah I know) exposes me regularly to the state of normie network TV and while American culture has always been deeply reactionary and evil the brazen techno fascism has reached new heights.

The most aired commercial is for Wisdom of the Crowd, in which Jeremy Piven is a millionaire who crowd sources vigilante justice, something that of course worked very well for apprehending the Boston bombers. The second one is Scorpion, which seems to be Big Bang theory with drones. There's also two indistinguishable shows which consist simply of Troops doing Troop stuff, including more seal team six bullshit.

I know it's just mainstream TV but it seems like a new level of evil and odds are there's far more people watching this shit than Twin Peaks or the latest prestige TV.

yeah, i haven't had cable tv since like 2005 and whenever i'm visiting family and watching it i'm like "tv is more insane than the internet" dayum

cars posted:

anyone seen anything that has great costuming? i'm really boning up on my costumes and costume play.

the last costume/historical drama i enjoyed was Wolf Hall. the splitting of anglican church from roman catholics is presented as courtly intrigue but the antagonism that drives the show is More vs Cromwell. Rylance as Cromwell is great casting.
speaking of rylance, his turn in Bridge of Spies is good too tho the most time he got on screen was in the opening shot (but what an opening shot). i was surprised to find myself enjoying a cold war drama by spielberg which preached about legal procedure etc till i discovered the coen bros went over the script.
TL;DR TMI: mark rylance plz fuck me with that wry disdain that never leaves your face.

I want to see it again before I say anything else but bladerunner is easily one of the best movies of the decade