thirdplace posted:

welp

thirdplace posted:

welp

Welp

hey posted:

The pot - our climate - is now metaphorically coming to a boil. I suspect signals which we previously were able to use to make fairly skillful short to mid-term predictions are going to become increasingly unreliable as more chaos enters the system. Long term, predictions of things like state change in climate (e.g. ice free arctic) have now become much more solid.

welp

drwhat posted:

thirdplace posted:

welp

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
well
welp
welp,

TG posted:

welp,

welp
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article204732234.html

Cancer drove Armando to return to Cuba in December 2016. A year earlier, he was diagnosed with stage four stomach cancer. He underwent a risky surgery, complicated by an infection.

Now totally recovered, Armando said in an interview from New York that after eight surgeries and a round of chemotherapy, his wife abandoned him and took their son.

“I was left alone, without money, without being able to get out of bed or do anything,” he said. He lost his job, his medical insurance and then his disability payments.

His mother in Cuba obtained a humanitarian permit from the Cuban government to take him to the island.

As a foreigner in Cuba, he initially had to pay in U.S. dollars for his treatment at the Ciro Garcia Clinic in Havana. So he decided to regain his residency and continued his treatment at the Oncology Hospital, also in Havana, paying in pesos.

He stayed on the island for four months and recovered, but never planned to stay.

“I begged God not to leave me there, that I did not belong in Cuba,” Armando recalled. He said he could not get accustomed to all the shortages, especially of food, and the bad service.

cars posted:

Tesla in particular seems to be basing its plans on subsidized fairy dust

cars posted:

As to whether big bets by a celebrity capitalist mean profits are guaranteed ahead vs. mere churning of capital, I mean... really??

cars posted:

i bet Musk gets on the phone incoherently high all the time

welp;

why havent the saudis who kidnapped hariri bumped this thread
welp
i got my trumpbukkks today, and it came on a prepaid visa card instead of a check or a wire transfer or any other convenient way to transfer money to large numbers of people.

In order to access the money I need to register with a tax advance bank in south dakota i never have and never will again do business with, allowing them to track personal information and spending data for people who use the card. they are not allowed to sell or use this information except in "special circumstances," about which they have provided no elaboration.

walking up to a teller of my bank/credit union and asking them to transfer the money to my own account apparently would cost $5. there is a .25 fee for a balance inquiry, which probably exclusively impacts the poor who would be more likely to use the card for numerous small purchases over time and need to track the balance. There is an additional $2 fee for using an ATM outside their network, which appears exclusively located inside large retailers (target/kroger/safeway/CVS/walgreens/rite aid).

the treasury says that 8 million of these plastic cards will be issued this round. The card weighs 5.5 grams, and is 85.60 by 53.98 millimetres (ISO standard) constructed of polyvinyl chloride acetate which has a density of 1.36 g/cc. laid out on a surface the cards would cover 9 1/7 acres, approximately the size of the south lawn at the white house. In total they constitute 44,000 kilograms of plastic waste not accounting for the microchip or manufacturing waste (stamping rounded corners from bulk stock) and have a total volume of nearly 60 cubic meters, or a nearly full 40' standard shipping container (although those are only weight rated to 26,300 kg so two would be required).

the last one came on a piece of paper with My President's name on it and was worth twice as much and all I had to do was take a picture with my phone
they direct deposited it into my account back in jan. 4th probably because they knew i'm not in desperate need for it or anything
[account deactivated]
welp
welp

Belphegor posted:

welp

swampman posted:

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article204732234.htmlCancer drove Armando to return to Cuba in December 2016. A year earlier, he was diagnosed with stage four stomach cancer. He underwent a risky surgery, complicated by an infection.

Now totally recovered, Armando said in an interview from New York that after eight surgeries and a round of chemotherapy, his wife abandoned him and took their son.

“I was left alone, without money, without being able to get out of bed or do anything,” he said. He lost his job, his medical insurance and then his disability payments.

His mother in Cuba obtained a humanitarian permit from the Cuban government to take him to the island.

As a foreigner in Cuba, he initially had to pay in U.S. dollars for his treatment at the Ciro Garcia Clinic in Havana. So he decided to regain his residency and continued his treatment at the Oncology Hospital, also in Havana, paying in pesos.

He stayed on the island for four months and recovered, but never planned to stay.

“I begged God not to leave me there, that I did not belong in Cuba,” Armando recalled. He said he could not get accustomed to all the shortages, especially of food, and the bad service.

Please contact my office to license my commentary.

i got paywalled trying to read this so here’s a link to bypass the paywall
https://12ft.io/proxy?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.miamiherald.com%2Fnews%2Flocal%2Fcommunity%2Fmiami-dade%2Farticle204732234.html

I saw a recent photo of Yeonmi park and welp