[account deactivated]
bitcoinz

hey posted:

sure goatstein. some people can manage the heat. but like, there's still plants and shit that can't, and which humans rely on. like the common tern

terns are birds. you cant fool me

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

terns are birds. you cant fool me

terns and conditions apply

Ah... you thought you could live even though its going to be hot and rainy. But you failed to consider... the humble tern
keven have you ever seen an artic tern
Yes, though not often because they're coastal.
they see more daylight than any other creature on the planet which makes them most woke animal
in the future we will all be thatdamnjew's wife
are you a secret birder keven. differential identification of ARTE from COTE is far beyond the average person's ability . . .
Idk I could be wrong. I just seen birds mate.
You just saw birds mate? Nice
[account deactivated]
i'll miss golf

slipdisco posted:

i think about this picture every day

https://www.instagram.com/p/BY0eFrdjOQl/
[account deactivated]
http://www.iisc.ernet.in/currsci/jun252006/1607.pdf

Recent examination of the standard medical explanation of the effects of carbon dioxide on human metabolism has demonstrated that the explanation requires revision, principally on the grounds that carbonic acid is taken to exist as a free acid in blood serum, which is an alkaline fluid4.

This work demonstrates that the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere at which humans can survive indefinitely, is much lower than expected. The estimated toxic level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere under lifetime exposure is 426 ppm (Figure 1)4. At the present
rate of increase of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, the toxic limit will be attained in AD 2050 based on extrapolation of the measured results from Mauna Loa5

The effects of carbon dioxide are a reduction in the pH value of blood serum leading to acidosis4. The minimum effects of acidosis are restlessness and mild hypertension. As the degree of acidosis increases, somnolence and confusion follow. One of the effects of these changes is a reduced desire to indulge in physical activity. Other metabolic effects of acidosis have been reviewed and shown to be extensive6.

Embryonic or foetal abnormalities are also possible as the increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide affects maternal metabolisms in succeeding generations.
wahooo. only 12 years before the entirety of earth's atmosphere is toxic
[account deactivated]
im generally torn between wanting to live through the end times to see how it actually goes down or dying in the first wave to avoid the suffering and deprivation. in the end I think my curiosity is outweighed by the likelihood that lines of information will be the first to go, so we'd quickly revert to having no idea WTF is going on more than twenty miles away from us let alone around the globe. plus I am soft and have a low threshold for abiding discomfort

more evidence that smoking heavily is an essential component of ecocollapse training.

death.... is certain...

Who needs Climate Change to implement the 6th Mass Extinction ?
Homo (not very) Sapiens does not.

Half-way to Catastrophe — Global Hothouse Extinction to be Triggered by or Before 2100 Without Rapid Emissions Cuts

Fossil Fuel Burning = Race Toward a 6th Mass Extinction

Trouble is, the 6th Mass Extinction is well underway without much help from climate change. The following links give a clue:-
http://www.pnas.org/content/114/30/E6089.full -
"Biological annihilation via the ongoing sixth mass extinction signaled by vertebrate population losses and declines"

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/vertebrate-populations-plummet-in-4-decades/
Vertebrate Populations Plummet in 4 Decades
Deforestation and other human actions have cut the populations of mammals, birds, amphibians and fish by 58 percent since 1970

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/oct/27/world-on-track-to-lose-two-thirds-of-wild-animals-by-2020-major-report-warns
World on track to lose two-thirds of wild animals by 2020, major report warns
Living Planet Index shows vertebrate populations are set to decline by 67% on 1970 levels unless urgent action is taken to reduce humanity’s impact

http://www.pnas.org/content/113/49/14079.full
Large numbers of vertebrates began rapid population decline in the late 19th century
"Significance
The current rate of species extinction is ∼1,000 times the background rate of extinction and is attributable to human impact, ecological and demographic fluctuations, and inbreeding due to small population sizes. The rate and the initiation date of rapid population decline (RPD) can provide important clues about the driving forces of population decline in threatened species, but they are generally unknown. We analyzed the genetic diversity data in 2,764 vertebrate species. Our population genetics modeling suggests that in many threatened vertebrate species the RPD on average began in the late 19th century, and the mean current size of threatened vertebrates is only 5% of their ancestral size. We estimated a ∼25% population decline every 10 y in threatened vertebrate species."

I wish scientists (and humans in general) recognised that there is usually more than one cause to make an effect.

hey posted:

pnas

lol

thats a classic science major joke btw
im no science major but i know a funny acronym when i see one

http://www.iisc.ernet.in/currsci/jun252006/1607.pdfRecent examination of the standard medical explanation of the effects of carbon dioxide on human metabolism has demonstrated that the explanation requires revision, principally on the grounds that carbonic acid is taken to exist as a free acid in blood serum, which is an alkaline fluid4.

This work demonstrates that the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere at which humans can survive indefinitely, is much lower than expected. The estimated toxic level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere under lifetime exposure is 426 ppm (Figure 1)4. At the present
rate of increase of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, the toxic limit will be attained in AD 2050 based on extrapolation of the measured results from Mauna Loa5

The effects of carbon dioxide are a reduction in the pH value of blood serum leading to acidosis4. The minimum effects of acidosis are restlessness and mild hypertension. As the degree of acidosis increases, somnolence and confusion follow. One of the effects of these changes is a reduced desire to indulge in physical activity. Other metabolic effects of acidosis have been reviewed and shown to be extensive6.

Embryonic or foetal abnormalities are also possible as the increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide affects maternal metabolisms in succeeding generations.

Here's the paper cited as "4" in the above

https://sci-hub.cc/10.1054/mehy.2000.1256#

It follows that a very large number of humans are likely to become incapable of physical activity taken for granted in present times and may be incapable of food production activities even with the help of machines. In consequence of these changes a very large number of humans are likely to die at an early age.... The effects of an increased atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide will be enhanced within land continents like the USA, where there are air circulations which mix slowly with other air currents, e.g. from the oceans, at certain times of the year.

It follows that a very large number of humans are likely to become incapable of physical activity taken for granted in present times and may be incapable of food production activities even with the help of machines.

one for goatstein

The effects of an increased atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide will be enhanced within land continents like the USA, where there are air circulations which mix slowly with other air currents, e.g. from the oceans, at certain times of the year.

and one for the rest of us

On my walk to school I pass by an RV campground, and I love seeing the old retirees in their big ass RV's. They're all like:

"Now that I've done such a good job exploiting the shit out of everything. I feel like rewarding myself. I'm going to buy the largest, most decadent vehicle available, emit as much emissions as possible, so I can travel around the country to see our natural beauties before they wither away and die. Welcome to my legacy"
[account deactivated]

cars posted:

lmao this paper owns, its got that classic climate science deadpan segue from mild to deadly consequences "As CO2 concentrations increese effects will include difficulty concetrating in long meetings, increesed requests to open a window, more people taking off their coats indoors, and most children will die at an early age"

hey posted:

On my walk to school I pass by an RV campground, and I love seeing the old retirees in their big ass RV's. They're all like:

"Now that I've done such a good job exploiting the shit out of everything. I feel like rewarding myself. I'm going to buy the largest, most decadent vehicle available, emit as much emissions as possible, so I can travel around the country to see our natural beauties before they wither away and die. Welcome to my legacy"

i remember reading an article (or maybe the first couple paragraphs of it) from a few years back bemoaning the slow death of the rv culture, as if it was some tragedy that higher gas prices made it less affordable to drive 6mpg vehicles thousands of miles

[account deactivated]

tears posted:

cars posted:

lmao this paper owns, its got that classic climate science deadpan segue from mild to deadly consequences "As CO2 concentrations increese effects will include difficulty concetrating in long meetings, increesed requests to open a window, more people taking off their coats indoors, and most children will die at an early age"

"It sure is getting stuffy in here. Sarah, could you please open the window?"

"my kid just died"

[account deactivated]
Lmao. The end of humanity depends on that number being an outlier. But the best part is that there is more evidence supporting the increase than not. It's fucking over mother fuckers.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Ufuk_Surekli posted:

get ready to not bother to procure food any more, as the mere act of breathing begins to rapidly transform us all into wheezing dotards incapable of even getting out of bed

(graph source: NASA)

Probably a fluke, see how the co2 always goes back down after a spike? Give it time