Chthonic_Goat_666 posted:

another senator falls to the dual citizenship thing... this time a liberal (matt canavan)... and this time theres a funny excuse/backstory

hahhahaha what kind of story is that

lol

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/matt-canavan-citizenship-resignation-barnaby-joyce-defends-exemplary-person-amid-new-questions-20170725-gxis6e.html posted:

The Deputy Prime Minister denied Senator Canavan's mother applied for Italian citizenship on his behalf at the same time as his father was sentenced to seven years' jail for fraud.

Bryan Michael Canavan was sentenced to more than seven years' jail in 2007 for embezzling almost $1.6 million from food giant Nestle Australia.

Canavan and other man, Phillip Michael Gardiner, pleaded guilty to two counts of fraud which took place between January 2001 and May 2004.

"I don't particularly want to go into the details of that," Mr Joyce said. "What that can show you is the incredible character of a person such as Matthew Canavan, that he is, you know, in tougher times he has come through as an exemplary character and exemplary person."

lol
one would be forgiven for thinking the big strayan political story of the day was the federal government in all their wisdom deciding to threaten a probably unconstitutional voluntary postal vote over gay marriage at a cost of over $120m - and i mean it kind of is, because it goes to show they're so held to ransom by their religious extremist right wing faction that they're prepared to throw the next election over something that should be a non-issue.

but the funnier and in some ways bigger story is the victorian opposition leader referring himself for investigation by the state corruption board because it's become public that he 'accidentally' had dinner with tony madafferi, the local mafia godfather. his excuse is seriously that his staff didnt bother to inform him who would be attending, and that they didn't recognise the guy's name. it would be practically impossible to live in melbourne, let alone work in victorian politics, and not know the guy's name lol

a little backstory, http://www.smh.com.au/national/gladhanding-and-influence-mafia-taking-fast-track-to-the-powerful-20150626-ghydu8
hahaha wow

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-09/liberal-insiders-plot-to-deliver-donations-to-matthew-guy/8787118 posted:

During his Tuesday morning press conference, Mr Guy downplayed reports that Grange was consumed at the dinner.

However, Mr Macmillan said in the transcript: "I wouldn't have liked to pay the bill, we had two bottles of Grange."

Mr Guy and the Liberal Party did not pay for the meal.

In the transcript, Mr Macmillan suggested that market gardener Frank Lamattina had met Mr Guy at a Liberal fundraiser in November 2016, where the Opposition Leader gave him his personal number and committed to attending an intimate dinner with him.

Mr Guy appears to have initially avoided this commitment but later agreed to meet at the Lobster Cave when Mr Lamattina complained, saying: "The promise is, you know, John Howard used to keep all his promises. Is there a problem?"

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/industrial-relations/turnbull-bid-to-block-formation-of-super-union/news-story/769afa2c00771dc5542680112b41cdb7

Australian Mines and Metals Association chief executive Steve Knott said the proposed merger was “alarming”, considering the influence the unions already held over the Labor Party.

“This will drive investors away from this country faster than the speed of light and dry up any pipeline of future investment,” he said.

“The track record of the CFMEU is a national disgrace and that won’t be missed in boardrooms around the globe. If the merger described by the sector as a takeover was to go ahead, investors could put their money somewhere else other than Australia.”

The CFMEU & MUA own, and that is borne out not only by the continual attacks on their 'militancy' but also the vocal support they receive, and openly accept, from the CPA (who really ought to update their site sometime with more recent material)
yea many pages on the CPA site need updating, they also sometimes let typos or even historical inaccuracies slip through. gets my goat. i like the lo-fi look though.

Edited by Chthonic_Goat_666 ()

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-14/barnaby-joyce-is-a-new-zealand-citizen-nz-government-confirms/8804620

it is happening again
what's the rhizzone consensus on gay marriage? Do normal people actually care about this or is it only important because the bourgeoisie are wholly gay?
yes, normal people do care about it, though i'm pretty sure everyone (affected or not) is keen for it to be done and dusted so we can stop fucking talking about it
[account deactivated]
http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/vic-council-punished-over-australia-day/news-story/e9a7128024e61b4fe59085a3f0ac065d

feels like things might come to a head over this next year. planning to write a rhizzone frontpage post on the history of australia day but i aint started yet.
it's interesting that local councils are the progressive force on that, and that turnbull's recent remarks are much harder right than anything howard ever said on the topic. labor, meanwhile, would sooner recognise a palestinian state than change australia day. so we'll see i guess.
hrmmm 🤔

Petrol posted:

it's interesting that local councils are the progressive force on that, and that turnbull's recent remarks are much harder right than anything howard ever said on the topic. labor, meanwhile, would sooner recognise a palestinian state than change australia day. so we'll see i guess.

hm i don't think there will be any change, i mean more in terms of protest/reaction

Chthonic_Goat_666 posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-14/barnaby-joyce-is-a-new-zealand-citizen-nz-government-confirms/8804620it is happening again

"No-one sets out to confuse the public with their citizenship" Uh wasn't the law written under the assumption that foreigners want to sneak in to Australia and take over the government using the old dual-citizenship trick

WildStalins posted:

what's the rhizzone consensus on gay marriage? Do normal people actually care about this or is it only important because the bourgeoisie are wholly gay?

Do you have a reason to prevent homosexuals, even the bourgeois ones, from getting married, that isn't based on spite? Do you really think that homosexuality occurs more often in the bourgeoisie? Sit in your site \_

Hi quick question gang, what is '\_' ?
Its a visual representiation of chair, to sit on
for the symbolic side of things, what swampman said. on the material side of things, rich gays didn't need gay marriage, really. even without civil unions, they could just hire lawyers to set set trusts, estate plans, guardianships, powers of attorney, etc that collectively are legally equivalent to marriage. outside of potential tax benefits (that i don't know jack shit about, but would bet aren't super-relevant to the rich either), the biggest beneficiaries of legal gay marriage are the people who can't afford all that shit
i updated my voting enrolment details for it a few days ago ^_^
lol

Malcolm Turnbull posted:

Today’s vandalism of statues of James Cook and Lachlan Macquarie is a cowardly criminal act and I hope the police swiftly find those responsible and bring them to justice.

But it is also part of a deeply disturbing and totalitarian campaign to not just challenge our history but to deny it and obliterate it. This is what Stalin did. When he fell out with his henchmen he didn’t just execute them, they were removed from all official photographs - they became non-persons, banished not just from life’s mortal coil but from memory and history itself.

This is what Stalin did. When he fell out with his henchmen he didn’t just execute them, they were removed from all official photographs - they became non-persons, banished not just from life’s mortal coil but from memory and history itself.

i don't want to understand the person who can say this and not realize that its extremely badass

oh no these guys were made to suffer the same fate as 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of everyone who has ever died

http://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/2017/09/06/clinton-pryor-turns-his-back-prime-minister

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/australian-building-and-construction-commission-boss-nigel-hadgkiss-resigns-after-admitting-to-breaking-law-20170913-gygha0.html posted:

Australian Building and Construction Commission boss Nigel Hadgkiss resigns after breaking law

Mr Hadgkiss came under immediate pressure to resign from his $426,000-a-year job after he admitted on Tuesday to recklessly misrepresenting union rights to employers over a period of two years.

He is now facing thousands of dollars in penalties as a result of Federal Court action brought by the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union.

He breached section 503 of the Fair Work Act by publishing downloadable posters and fact sheets on the ABCC's website that misrepresent the rights of union officials during entry to premises to meet workers.

He failed to correct the material despite concerns being raised by his staff.

In an agreed statement of facts tendered to the Federal Court on Tuesday, Mr Hadgkiss admitted that, in December 2013, he directed his agency to not publish changes to right-of-entry laws that were of benefit to unions.

He said he believed the laws passed by the former Labor government would be repealed by the new Coalition government and therefore did not need to be published. However, the laws were not repealed as he had expected.

He admitted to not reading Labor's amendments and based his understanding of their "gist" on media reports. He did not know the details of the agency's educational materials either.

(Employment Minister) Cash said Mr Hadgkiss had a "long and distinguished career in the public service".

"Mr Hadgkiss has played a pivotal role in restoring the rule of law to Australia's building and construction industry, despite relentless opposition and appalling intimidation from lawless construction unions and their political supporters," she said.

He served as assistant commissioner of the Australian Federal Police, executive director of the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions in NSW, director of the Building Industry Taskforce and director of Fair Work Building and Construction. He served on three royal commissions and was awarded the Australian Police Medal for distinguished service.

I was just catching up on some terrible Netflix standup specials and noted this line from Frankie Boyle: "UKIP want an Australia-style points system. Australia's the most racist place on earth! Ayer's Rock is just a load of dead Aborigines with a tarpaulin pulled over it." And my reaction, just like any decent Australian, is to say he's wrong. It's called Uluru
*sticking head into thread* australia is still around? damn, what the fuck is up with that?
often in the field Iggy Azalea is called, Igloo Australia... vape on that for a second.

cars posted:

often in the field Iggy Azalea is called, Igloo Australia... vape on that for a second.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/queensland-government/mike-aherns-startling-claims-joh-bjelkepetersen-thought-aids-was-aborigines-punishment/news-story/8f11318332bef4faa1ea1201ec5e88cb
stop feeding the chooks mate!
hope ya having a good satruday night petrol

bloody oath mate. just sitting on the couch cursing the lack of decent movies on kodi

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/liberal-party-denies-cashforaccess-scheme-saying-a-developers-10000-donation-was-above-board/news-story/b09e94c19b98caf8ee8e0cf60972609b posted:

Liberal Party denies cash-for-access scheme saying a developer’s $10,000 donation was above board
Alex White and Matthew Johnston, Herald Sun
September 19, 2017 12:41pm

VICTORIA’S deputy Liberal Party leader is denying allegations he solicited $10,000 from a developer in return for a private meeting with Opposition Leader Matthew Guy.

David Hodgett said he had “done nothing wrong” after organising a “forum” with Mr Guy in 2013, which was attended by only two developers and resulted in a Liberal Party donation.

Mr Guy, who was the planning minister at the time, denied the meeting constituted exclusive access in return for cash and labelled the allegations as “fake news”.

“I’m sick to death of this, I’m sick to death of what is becoming fake news in the state of Victoria,” Mr Guy said.

It is alleged Mr Hodgett, departmental staff and Mr Guy met with developers at a Toorak development in 2013 for lunch.

Mr Hodgett admitted his office sent an invoice to the developer for $10,000 after the event but said the money had been declared to the Liberal Party and that it was “within the law”.

“Now, I run forums, sometimes there are five people sometimes there are 50 people,” he said.

“At this one there was seven people. I have not done anything wrong here. It has all been done in accordance with the law.”

A request for a donation is against the code of conduct in Victoria and ministers are banned from soliciting or accepting donations of more than $500 in their electorate accounts.

Mr Hodgett confirmed the money was paid into his electorate account but declined to publicly name the developers involved.

The meeting ran for an hour-and-a-half and sandwiches were served but he said “there was no discussion of a development going ahead.”

Mr Hodgett denied running a cash-for-access program.

Both Mr Hodgett and Mr Guy said their activities were the same as the Labor Party’s fundraising arm, Progressive Business.

The latest comes two days after the government announced radical political donation reforms and comes on the back of revelations Mr Guy had a lobster dinner with alleged mafia figure Tony Madafferi. Mr Madafferi denies he is a Mafia figure.

“It just seems all too cute, all too obvious,” Mr Guy told reporters.

When asked if the payment was made to Mr Hodgett’s office, Mr Guy responded: “Go and ask the people that ran the function, how would I know, I turned up.”

However, while Mr Guy called yesterday’s reforms announcement a “stitch-up” he did not rule out working with the government to enact donation reforms. Under the proposed changes, donations will be capped at $4000 per parliamentary term and disclosures will be made in real time for all donations of more than $1000.

Premier Daniel Andrews declined to comment on the allegations this morning saying Mr Guy had questions to answer.

Petrol posted:

“Now, I run forums, sometimes there are five people sometimes there are 50 people,” he said.

what