Do they really think you would be more secure as a managerial parasite with five or six figures of debt than as, say, a master electrician? Tell them i said, stfu
Boomer parents are weird. My mom heard about "the gig economy" on the news and asked me why don't I take a gig economy job it sounds so romantic and flexible, you get to be your own boss! No union fees, wow! And I had to explain that all the job troubles I've been explaining to her, love u mom, were because I'm already trying to do a gig economy job and it is fucking bullshit and I would much rather have an actual existing employer who can pay me benefits, jesus christ. And also that my dad, her husband, was strung along by a predatory "financial advisor" pyramid scheme (hi Primerica) for 9 years after contractually signing away his right to a wage, and that horrific dark time in my childhood where he made no money and my mom had to support us on minimum wage was also the gig economy, just a trendy rephrasing of "FUCK YOU, PEASANT."
Oh shit Primerica is a pyramid scheme? They put ads in bus-stops where I live. I'm going to tear them down when I see them now, in your honor.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Belphegor posted:

Oh shit Primerica is a pyramid scheme? They put ads in bus-stops where I live. I'm going to tear them down when I see them now, in your honor.

Pyramid scheme is perhaps too glib and imprecise, they have a whole bottom layer of financial advisors who sign away their right to a wage in return for a commission on the returns of their clients, these are always pushed by a Very Successful Man who advises for his egregiously rich friends. And they have Amway style seminars and shit about how you too could be Very Successful.

But it turns out that there's a limited number of rich new money suckers who will put that much money into a financial advisor, and your boss gets top pickings, everyone else gets to run the office for him and generally be a gofer for their friend the Very Successful Man and get like $1.50 commissions on the investments of old penniless cat ladies because he'll dump all the worthless clients on to you.

This was like two decades ago so idk if they're still doing it or if the structures have changed, probably had to do some weaselly rearrangements now and then to keep it from being obviously illegal, but I wouldn't be surprised.

swampman posted:

Do they really think you would be more secure as a managerial parasite with five or six figures of debt than as, say, a master electrician? Tell them i said, stfu

this + grown adult children need to be able to say their truth. I've been in shambles when my parents disapproved of choices i made and judged me harshly but their love shouldn't be based on your *choices*, because that's insane

[account deactivated]
My guess is unless you can do real-time transcription (stenography) the wage will be set by the cost of hiring an english worker from the global South. too small to subsist on in USA
[account deactivated]
i'm going crazy in general, maybe for the mind numbing office work (i have been doing nothing but reviewing wiring diagrams for the past few years, hundreds of wires a week prolly but i get in some writing and journaling and i'm in that sweet spot of not really having a manager atm), but since i know there are some cook rhizzoners any1 wanna explain why that's so bad? i was thinking of catering because it seems mroe social and there are like parties and stuff. that seems like really bad reasoning tho, and the pay is really good at my current job and i finally sorta know what im doing

Edited by animedad ()

if you like having money and not doing speed then you have no reason to shift into culinary ime
i love money and speed. but i think i'll just get my kicks outside of work
[account deactivated]

animedad posted:

i love money and speed. but i think i'll just get my kicks outside of work

If you enjoy ever being "outside of work" then chef is a bad career.

Love hanging with engineers all day listening to them do engineering solutions

Smart reasonable man: The cost proposed is too high because the contractor wants us to pay them to expedite and not do the work at all. This is a trap because once we pay to expedite work we're admitting work was slow IE they've been delayed IE they have cause for a delay impact claim

Engineer: what if you used 24" culvert sections instead of drums that would be cheaper

Smart man who's not me but is almost as smart as me, the smartest and most reasonable man at all: idk they'd claim it would take a billion labor hours and theyd have to special order the culvert so that the cost would be more than paying to expedite probably

Engineer: what if you put warning flags on everything.

roseweird posted:

i've learned that many materials which are digitally archived at my institution are still stored as physical copies, taking up huge amounts of space and causing many people to waste years of their time basically just hauling around paper, and that integrated scanner/shredder devices, far from being ubiquitous, hardly even exist. so i suppose it's probably like this all over. the truth is most offices i've seen are just crammed in with garbage, people don't throw stuff out and just kind of spend a lot of time sorting and accounting for trash

My office relocated a few years back and a lot of the senior employees had tons of filing cabinets that had to be consolidated for the move. About half the contents were printouts of inane emails from 2008 that just said "ok" and the other half were like sensitive documents with SSNs on them, and of course some assistants just dumped whole loads into recycling bins without thinking to check and shred anything, while others wasted days of their lives paring them down. We used to have a couple employees who even after the move would still print out every single email they ever received. The shared printers would be covered in Groupon offers and printed out auto-responded emails. The modern office environment rules, it's extremely good.

Keven posted:

Smart reasonable man: The cost proposed is too high because the contractor wants us to pay them to expedite and not do the work at all. This is a trap because once we pay to expedite work we're admitting work was slow IE they've been delayed IE they have cause for a delay impact claim

Engineer: what if you used 24" culvert sections instead of drums that would be cheaper

Smart man who's not me but is almost as smart as me, the smartest and most reasonable man at all: idk they'd claim it would take a billion labor hours and theyd have to special order the culvert so that the cost would be more than paying to expedite probably

this job we're on now is so fucking stupid they keep relocating the equipment they want surrounding the generators were installing for no discernable reason. the engineer showed up on the job for a meeting a few weeks ago and said 'heh, im the engineer so, im the guy you can swear at when things go wrong' and none of us laughed cos its literally what we do all day. anyway I'm a..... tin banger.

I'm so burned out on this & id be running jobs within 3 years guaranteed so the stress would like double. 20 more years of this no way. I can't do it. I could maybe work for a contractor but I'm getting like every issue with construction and also all the office politics and all the dumb ass shit that come with government work. Like they gave me a nice ass truck this year & come to find out I got it because another guy on the job wanted it and he's in the dog house for some reason with some manager. Last year the guy one step above me went literally insane & had to get kicked off the job (but not fired of course, this is govt work baby). I want to go back to being a grade inspector or something good lord. This job is entirely politics and people management but everyone in charge is an engineer and they're mostly so bad at it. But every time I think about going to NYC in the back of my head I'm like or you could stay here and have 3/4ths of a million dollars in the market by 40. I'd be so freakin miserable tho.
Everyone around me is constructing an elaborate "life trap" to trick me into becoming a normie... because I'm white and middle class this construct is a metaphorical prison instead of a literal one but the end result is the same: I don't get to have sex with aspiring models. We have to be better than this. We have to rise up. You can't buy me.
Sorry if it seems braggy when I talk about my job but I've never made this kind of money and it's a big weird thing to know I have to give it up.
im sorry u have to deal with the handicap of being white and middleclass keven, society should be better than this, i'll be an ally for you
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

the main thing getting to me is realizing that the majority of people working in offices are people who, upon encountering an inefficiency that requires them to perform tedious repetitive tasks, do not begin to look for a more efficient method, but are simply glad to have a task which is not hard or intellectually demanding. they become protective of these inefficient functions and end up dragging others into wasting time on similar tasks because they must make themselves believe that work consists in activities like these, so other people should have no objections to them. they have no ability to recognize where they could save time, and no concept of the value of their own time and labor. they drown themselves and everyone around them in paper, and talk about their pets and tv shows. if they don't want to improve themselves through study then i wish they could just retire and stay home.

they might be open to it. if you dont feel comfortable saying it to coworkers you could tell the manager that you have solutions to inefficiencies

Keven posted:

no.

stegosaurus posted:

Keven posted:

this job we're on now is so fucking stupid they keep relocating the equipment they want surrounding the generators were installing for no discernable reason. the engineer showed up on the job for a meeting a few weeks ago and said 'heh, im the engineer so, im the guy you can swear at when things go wrong' and none of us laughed cos its literally what we do all day. anyway I'm a..... tin banger.

yeah, engineers post post post all day at their computer and try to avoid showing up at all. it'd be nice to eliminate the workers somehow...hmm, if only there was a way and enough incentive.

[account deactivated]
dang yeah i'd be on my way out the door in that case
video game dev
being gay with my dad
i work in an oxidane refinery
[account deactivated]
part of the chemical industry. we're sitting over a p large underground oxidane deposit and there are even some areas where it's exposed to the surface so extraction is simple. the crude is run through a suite of reactors and molecular seives until it's sufficiently pure for shipment to local commercial, industrial, and even residential customers
How much free oxidane can you mail to me
could prob do up to a half kilo without anyone noticing. ofc you'd be better off finding a local supplier
maybe we could make this a reciprocal thing. are you stilll uh, scrubbing animal shit. nevermind
I deliver food