crop scientist: let us create herbicide resistant crops so that we may spray even more
weeds: ever heard of horizontal gene transfer fucko, get owned
agro-bio-geo-chemistry is some good shit that im trying to learn more about
some agricultural biologists told me a couple years back that the residual pesticide levels in soil escalated to dangerously unsafe levels like a decade ago and the only reason that no one has heard anything is because the regulatory bodies raise the maximum acceptable "safe" ppm every couple years so that it technically never gets too high, and it's likely that a total collapse of the soil ecosystem in some major agricultural regions is irreversibly immanent. but no one's allowed to say anything because the pesticide business is a big market and What About The Jobs

that's really cool
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/06/19/533538555/ethiopias-coffee-farmers-are-on-the-front-lines-of-climate-change
https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/19/15829674/climate-change-coffee-ethiopia
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jun/19/global-warming-brews-big-trouble-coffee-birthplace-ethiopia

wonder how future climate skeptics will field this one

"uhh, uhhhh, actually all the coffee farmers just got real bad at it, all at the same time"
why is this a sentence

"However, the new research also reveals that if a massive programme of moving plantations up hillsides to cooler altitudes were feasible, coffee production could actually increase."
New research reveals that if wishes were fishes, we would ALL be pope.

Constantignoble posted:

wonder how future climate skeptics will field this one

actually the new climate skeptic line is that climate change is Real and Real Good and environmentalists are a cartoonish supervillian conspiracy to destroy humanity & the earth

http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-06-13-the-climate-change-agenda-exposed-lowering-co2-will-lead-to-mass-starvation-planet-wide-food-scarcity-and-the-rise-of-government-tyranny.html

The best part of capitalism is that those outcomes will happen no matter what the Co2 concentrations are.
Re the OP, can't say I will miss much, but going to enjoy chowin down on some of that sweet imported Yukon wheat
Oh yeah it's gonna be real easy to grow crops on the 2 millimeters of topsoil in the soon-to-be-former tundra
Good news everyone, we've discovered a delicious lichen that grows (very slowly) on bare rocks and dust! We should be able to sustain 4, maybe 5 people with this miracle crop, that's right, a whopping 20-25% of the wretched huddled survivors in our hovel! I told you this whole "climate change" thing was just a hokey scare tactic.
i'm lichen it!
http://www.naturalblaze.com/2017/07/us-threatens-world-seed-security-war-syria.html

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/arctic-doomsday-seed-vault-flooded-thanks-global-warming/
It's hard to grow crops anywhere there was originally black spruce trees. Not impossible but it's a lot of work.
i don't like the way you said black
Black spruce
re: the OP: i hope that slowly starving to death finally gives me a sense of purpose that will overcome my depression

hey posted:

roseweird posted:

hey posted:

this whole idea of endless growth and consumption is actually bad

reachfor the stars

that's where it gets better. there are people. real god damn people. that honestly believe that one of the solutions to climate change and resource depletion is space travel and science fiction.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/03/space-travel-wont-save-you-from-capitalism/518853/

this is old now but i liked this article from sam kkkris on this

xipe posted:

http://www.naturalblaze.com/2017/07/us-threatens-world-seed-security-war-syria.html

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/arctic-doomsday-seed-vault-flooded-thanks-global-warming/

most of that naturalblaze article is good but it does link to a global warming denier page, just a heads up

Ok, I don't know what natural blaze is.

U could probably add the interview with an Iraqi agricultural scientist on Mint Press there too, he talks among other things about their seed saving work which was destroyed by the Americans.

Apart from seeds, its pretty sick how the middle east is facing environmental disaster but is forced to devote all attention and resources to militarise due to eternal provocation of conflict there.
natural blaze is teh totes natural and not anthhropogenic inferno that is going to consume us all as the earth heats up, naturally

hey posted:

roseweird posted:

hey posted:

this whole idea of endless growth and consumption is actually bad

reachfor the stars

that's where it gets better. there are people. real god damn people. that honestly believe that one of the solutions to climate change and resource depletion is space travel and science fiction.

this is one of the things i hate the most, "we have to go to space because of climate change." setting moral responsibilities to not destroy the planet completely to the side, do you know how shitty everywhere in space is? absolute worst case scenario climate change on earth is still better than everywhere in space. oh, it gets to 140 in the summer along the equator? bummer. there's still air there though right

A bunch of fascist millionaire computer geeks will fund their own deaths in a failed libertarian space colony that the real trillion dollar space colonists will live and learn from
Goon Island 4: IN SPACE
Remember the goons who trooped out into hawaii to clear land for a vapourware yoga resort or some shit, and they got a tractor specifically for tree pulling that they secured by tying it to a tree.

The next day they woke up, the tree had been pulled up and the tractor was gone!

The future is gonna be fuckin great
i think all this can be solved if you just wash your damn dishes, Stan, how many times i gotta tell ya, go bring out all those empty cans of beer and cups of moldy coffee from your room, along with the plates of grease and smeared condiments, and wash them, dry them, and put them up. Yout hink you're gonna fly up into space and not have to wash your damn dishes anymore? You can't run from yourself, pal. There's no way about it, clean up after your own mess. Got a thousand fuckin plates and a million cups in your room? Well then better get washin'
i have no idea if this has been posted about before, and i knew about russia's objection to the US' "nuclear defense" system in romania, but i just realized how bad it is

The aggressiveness of this imperial strategy can be seen in the U.S. pursuit of absolute dominance in nuclear weapons capabilities under the rubric of the “modernization” of all three legs of its nuclear arsenal. The object is to take full advantage of the fact that a weakened Russia fell behind for years in maintaining and modernizing its own nuclear weaponry, allowing the United States to pull decisively ahead. U.S. nuclear strategy is now predicated on the “death of MAD” (Mutual Assured Destruction), that is, the demise of the entire system of deterrence.27 Those formulating U.S. strategic doctrine increasingly believe that the United States is currently capable, while using only a small part of its nuclear arsenal, of destroying enough nuclear weapons of an opponent in a first strike (or counterforce attack)—even in the case of Russia—to prevail in a nuclear confrontation. In short, Pentagon planners now believe the United States has attained “strategic primacy” in nuclear weapons capability.28 This would make a first strike against any enemy on Earth “thinkable” for the first time since 1945, when Truman ordered the dropping of the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, resulting in hundreds of thousands of civilian casualties—in what was a political rather than a military decision, and the first real act of the Cold War.29 Ominously, with the imminent death of MAD, the other side too, in any period of nuclear tensions, has greater incentive to strike first, lest it be destroyed completely by a U.S. hegemon no longer restrained by fears of its own destruction in the event of a first strike on its part.30

Revolution and Counterrevolution, 1917–2017

xipe posted:

A bunch of fascist millionaire computer geeks will fund their own deaths in a failed libertarian space colony

Inshallah

shriekingviolet posted:

Remember the goons who trooped out into hawaii to clear land for a vapourware yoga resort or some shit, and they got a tractor specifically for tree pulling that they secured by tying it to a tree.

The next day they woke up, the tree had been pulled up and the tractor was gone!

The future is gonna be fuckin great

when a goon got a bunch of other goons to join them on their plot of land in "the jungle" and they spent a few days "clearing paths" then one of them unloaded an entire handgun into a pig

Space is so shitty that if we found a worst case climate earth 25 years travel away we'd get nerds writing articles like Why Obedience Chips Are A Fair Trade For A Planet With Liquid Water, Explained
This is cited in the quote above and is in the US Air Force's journal. I'm going to quote at length one very telling portion of it.

“The United States is not seeking to neutralize adversary deterrent forces.”

Some critics argue that the United States is not seeking strategic pri- macy. They reject any intent behind the emergence of US nuclear pri- macy and downplay the effort to neutralize adversary deterrent forces in US military strategy. Instead of the United States bolstering its counter- force capabilities, critics emphasize how it is minimizing the role of nuclear weapons in national security strategy—as only this is consistent with international arms control and nonproliferation efforts aimed at con- vincing other states to forego strategic weapons, reduce existing arsenals, or cancel modernization programs. The implication is that we have mis- takenly imputed sinister motives to US defense programs and planning.

Disavowal of the US pursuit of strategic primacy comes most fre- quently from those who work inside or outside the government on arms control and nonproliferation policy. Yet, those who work on US regional war plans and counterproliferation policy typically see nothing contro- versial in our claim that the United States seeks the ability to neutralize adversary strategic weapons. In fact, this effort appears to be official US policy. As a simple Internet search shows, the US government does not hide the wide range of research and planning efforts underway that fall under the rubric of “defeat WMD” or “combatting WMD.” And the underlying logic behind those efforts is simple: deterrence may fail, es- pecially during conventional wars, and therefore the United States needs the ability to defend US forces, allies, and the US homeland from enemy WMD using, depending on the circumstances, conventional strikes, missile defenses, special operations, offensive cyber attacks, and in ex- treme cases nuclear strikes. In short, “defeating WMD” and “seeking strategic primacy” are essentially synonymous: protecting oneself from others’ strategic weapons (which sounds reasonable) and neutralizing others’ strategic deterrent forces (which sounds more malicious) are simply two phrases describing the same behavior.

Current US grand strategy—which takes an expansive definition of national interests and is committed to a global network of alliances—means that the United States may be drawn into wars with WMD- armed adversaries. We agree with many US government officials that the ability to neutralize those adversary capabilities in such a conflict may be critical. Others are free to disagree. But all analysts should rec- ognize that current US efforts to neutralize adversaries’ deterrent forces are inherently threatening to those states, and few should be surprised when those adversaries treat US pleas for greater arms reductions with considerable skepticism.

Edited by marlax78 ()

chickeon posted:

natural blaze is teh totes natural and not anthhropogenic inferno that is going to consume us all as the earth heats up, naturally

its weed

Rebekah and I have a general intention for this land, but we're going to let the universe dictate where it goes. I've been influenced a lot by the way Google runs things. They allow employees a certain amount of time to work on something THEY'RE interested in. At Samadhi Village, everyone will have time each day to work on a "Passion Project". A Passion Project is, well, a project you're passionate about (hurrrr) that in some way benefits the land and community.

UK proposes to phase out new petrol and diesel cars by 2040, considers vote on asking nicely if things could perhaps not get too warm

in order to alleviate climate change UN agrees to resurect king canute

tears posted:

UK proposes to phase out new petrol and diesel cars by 2040, considers vote on asking nicely if things could perhaps not get too warm

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2017/07/cobalt-production-as-the-hidden-choke-point-on-mass-conversion-to-electric-vehicles.html

i dunno if i buy that "the heat itself will exterminate us" take. it would certainly be a stressor on the elderly, the sick and babies but people can live and do strenuous physical activity in the summer in the kalahari desert, the rainforest at the equator, as construction workers in phoenix, etc. of course those people generally aren't 40%+ blubber so who knows
the problem is that stuff that kills the elderly also tends to kill babies. if we could find something that killed all the elderly but not infants or the sick the next day would be like we all woke up to find ourselves living in the united federation of planets
sure goatstein. some people can manage the heat. but like, there's still plants and shit that can't, and which humans rely on. like the common tern
goatstein will still be able to put his kids in his car in just ordinary scorching heat, the parents on the sinking islands of vanuatu and tuvalu do not have that luck