i might have a read through that report at some point.

Edited by Chthonic_Goat_666 ()

please recomend me one (one) book to read on australia to get the facts about australia
i don't really know all that much about australia and havent read that much. i made this thread because at a certain point i realised that reading about the USSR and china etc is very inspiring but i don't really know enough about my own situation, which seems more pertinent for political activity. i suppose i recommend "The Other Side Of The Frontier" becaue its the best aus history book ive read so far. depends what you wanna read about really.
i gotta recommend Dark Emu by Bruce Pascoe because although it is meant more as a rejoinder to the traditional story of australia's founding, you can pretty much imagine what that's like without being too familiar, the usual settler colonial nonsense
thank you, i will be sure to read one (one) of those books, at a time of my choosing
No, thank you.

mmm baby... murdoch horny.
^ i shouldnt post when drunk.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/daniel-andrews/its-time-to-help-first-home-buyers-rather-than-cashed-up-invest/

victorian state government trying to prop up the bubble more?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-01/will-australia-s-property-boom-fizzle-or-froth-quicktake-q-a
https://www.lawyersweekly.com.au/news/20907-manus-island-live-stream-an-australian-first

Manus refugees class action lawsuit against commonwealth govt and contractors in Supreme Court of Victoria, hearings start 15 May and will be livestreamed
*bump* so this lee rhiannon thing... greens moving rightwards? ive not been keeping up to date with the whole thing.
New zealand made the british national press this week for the first time in 50 years, because a single pallet of weetabix being imported by the "little bit of britain" grocery store in christchurch was impounded by kiwi customs officials
“Whatever happened to freedom of choice?” posted Marie Shepherd on Facebook.

“Preventing access to Weetabix is in no way going to make me buy Weet-Bix, it’s revolting,” posted Lin Holt, also on Facebook.
the New Zealand thread is thataway buddy! *gesticulating wildly*
sorry, but we're relying on auzzie posters to inform us about the daily goings on in new zealand, in the same way that the british public relys on a hotel-bound bbc corespondent in istanbul to inform them on the goings on in damascus

Chthonic_Goat_666 posted:

*bump* so this lee rhiannon thing... greens moving rightwards? ive not been keeping up to date with the whole thing.

been on the cards since the di natale takeover innit. anyway theyve always been bougie fucks for the most part

yea that was my assumption. i dont know much about dinatale but he has my eternal scorn for the syria warmongering mentioned a few pages back.
there's some inside baseball here: https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/news/politics/2017/07/01/inside-the-bitter-greens-civil-war/14988312004862

long story short, the greens is a federation of state-level parties and di natale is trying to consolidate his power, to do so he is exploiting some old and deep tensions between the NSW greens (which has commie roots) and the rest of the party (which has non-commie greenie roots) to try and pressure the NSW party into ceding decision making powers to the federal leadership. the NSW greens are unhappy about all this and are threatening to withhold $$$, they provide about 30% of the federal party's funding so something's gotta give. di natale will for sure win this battle and go on to continue shifting the party inexorably toward a centre-right position (aka 'the mainstream' of australian politics)
That's the origin story of practically every successful non-tory party. Looks like the Greens have a bright future ahead of them!
except the greens have been around for a good couple of decades and were getting more popular than ever on the strength of their left wing policies prior to this recent turn. a continuing rightward shift and willingness to deal with the conservative government could easily be the end of them lol
Wouldn't be the first time a party with a successful leftist platform self-sabotaged so that they could better integrate into the ranks of the professional political class. But hope springs eternal I guess?
i mean, none of this is surprising in the slightest, i simply predict we're about to witness the slow-ish death of the australian greens and di natale will go on to land some cushy consultancy gig for megabucks
Yeah. Or the party will just toothlessly shamble onward. There's a specific breed of political parasite that works by turning exciting fresh movements into established lukewarm turds that get paid to fail because people are resigned to it being as close as they'll ever have to what they actually want.
*thinking for a long time about australia* in the long run, the future for all of this is well described in the popular australian documentary "mad max: fury road"

Petrol posted:

there's some inside baseball here: https://www.thesaturdaypaper.com.au/news/politics/2017/07/01/inside-the-bitter-greens-civil-war/14988312004862

long story short, the greens is a federation of state-level parties and di natale is trying to consolidate his power, to do so he is exploiting some old and deep tensions between the NSW greens (which has commie roots) and the rest of the party (which has non-commie greenie roots) to try and pressure the NSW party into ceding decision making powers to the federal leadership. the NSW greens are unhappy about all this and are threatening to withhold $$$, they provide about 30% of the federal party's funding so something's gotta give. di natale will for sure win this battle and go on to continue shifting the party inexorably toward a centre-right position (aka 'the mainstream' of australian politics)

cheers for the article. if greens continue down this path i think their base consists solely of middle class inner city types who have a few pet causes but no connection to class struggle. that's probably 5% of the vote or so at best (?). Labor Party is crap, but at least they still have connections to the union movement to moor them somewhat. not seeing much of that within the greens. wonder if theyll make some colossal fuckup like the Australian Democrats did

Brown says he believes the Greens are following the path of their counterparts in Germany, who faced a crisis in the 1990s involving their fundamentalist and realist wings. The split led to the party losing all of its seats in the German Bundestag but the party rebuilt itself – and the realists prevailed.

line from the article that struck me when re-reading. in the 1990s "realists" "pragmaticists" etc were ascendant. we all know what thats code for. not sure if itll be so clear-cut in 2017, especially if australia heads towards recession.

wonder if theyll make some colossal fuckup like the Australian Democrats did

i keep thinking of the democrats too haha. they're already running around making as many deals as possible with the libs so yeah either they make one deal too many, on something like a piece of legislation stripping environmental regulations, or (more likely) it'll just be death by a thousand cuts

more bad news for the greens lol

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/greens-senator-scott-ludlam-resigns-from-parliament-after-discovering-he-was-ineligible-to-stand-20170714-gxbb76.html

thats actually a real bummer because party affiliations aside im pretty sure he was the only good one in parliament. stupid mistake on his part but understandable. i like to think the government will take note of the public mood around this and not demand the 9 years of salary and entitlements back but who knows, they're very petty and he's lefty scum innit
the greens have become too jetsetting petit bourgeois for their own good

Petrol posted:

wonder if theyll make some colossal fuckup like the Australian Democrats did

i keep thinking of the democrats too haha.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/07/18/the-very-likely-political-return-of-andrew-bartlett_a_23034939/

meanwhile, what the fuck http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-18/home-affairs-peter-dutton-given-more-power/8719368

Dutton now in charge of:

• ASIO
  • AFP
  • Australian Border Force
  • Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission
  • Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC)
  • Office of Transport Authority

put me in charge of the australia, happy to change my name to "dutton" if required
http://www.smh.com.au/national/peter-duttons-home-affairs-ministry-will-investigate-itself-for-corruption-20170721-gxfwov.html

tldr already worthless corruption investigations into e.g. immigration & customs officials working with organised crime will now be even more worthless as they'll be investigated by colleagues within the same ministry
elijah doughty's killer got off with a 3 year sentence for traffic offences, probably out on parole soon, and a gag order on his name and image (not that that's stopping anyone online obviously). funny how you can admit hunting and deliberately ramming a child on a motorbike with your vehicle and be found not guilty of even manslaughter when the kid is black and you're not. also interesting how it came out in the case that the pigs told him where to find his bikes and left him to do whatever he was gonna do
another senator falls to the dual citizenship thing... this time a liberal (matt canavan)... and this time theres a funny excuse/backstory