blinkandwheeze posted:
naw the things negarestani talks about are generally pretty serious issues - the particular group of london based philosophers he associates with are all nerds who grew up listening to jungle & reggae soundsystems tho so their thinking is marked by that sometimes. there are a lot of traces of john carpenter movies & things like that in cyclonopedia tho, if that's an issue with you i guess

i am definitely a nerd abt music, but i dont trust a philosopher to have an opinion about music that is worth reading. reggae sucks, as well -- dub is the thinking man's reggae.

A Philosophical Deconstruction of Skrillex
actually dubplate & riddim culture is p worthy of philosophical examination, perhaps one informed by derrida's concept of palimpsest
wither the wub or the wub wub on the plane of immanence
ok i feel bad for derailing; is a music thread against the rules. also it's 2012 and we don't need any more skrillex jokes, thanks.

Skylark posted:
i am definitely a nerd abt music, but i dont trust a philosopher to have an opinion about music that is worth reading. reggae sucks, as well -- dub is the thinking man's reggae.

well i mean to clarify the person i was talking about specifically is a musician first and a philosopher second, (and i was using reggae soundsystem culture as a catchall for the reggae/dub/ragga axis) but his connection to negarestani is mostly just a fairly close proximity so it shouldn't factor into your appreciation of cyclonopedia at all! read cyclonopedia yall

Skylark posted:

counterpoint: fucking reality, gawd daaamn!

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
counterpoint: fucking reality, gawd daaamn!

ive seen this post a few times already, but cool.

maybe... wait, nevermind...
ska is the thinking man's reggae. dub is the dumb stoner's bad music.
idk about much philosophy but ill give this a shot
antioedipus and a thousand plateaus is pretty necessary reading before tackling cyclonopedia imo. itd be pretty hopeless w/o knowing the basic concepts

aerdil posted:
antioedipus and a thousand plateaus is pretty necessary reading before tackling cyclonopedia imo. itd be pretty hopeless w/o knowing the basic concepts

i'd disagree, actually - cyclonopedia has been really warmly received not just by the philosophical community but by novelists, architects, graphic designers, filmmakers, etc. who don't necessarily have that background at all

Skylark posted:

blinkandwheeze posted:
naw the things negarestani talks about are generally pretty serious issues - the particular group of london based philosophers he associates with are all nerds who grew up listening to jungle & reggae soundsystems tho so their thinking is marked by that sometimes. there are a lot of traces of john carpenter movies & things like that in cyclonopedia tho, if that's an issue with you i guess

nietzsche wrote a lot about music

^^^^DAMN OWNED
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Skylark posted:
i was planning to read the book in the OP; can some1 pls confirm that this book is not as absurd as the idea mentioned in the post i just quoted, and is in fact worth setting aside what im currently reading.

Edit: Already copied it to my SMart Phone, so all labor beyond the reading itself is taken care of.

i guess you missed infinite cockjammer's epic post in the original LF wherein he gave a badiouian deconstruktion of dubstep

what happened to that fat ankled kid hahah
imho the best part of Cyclonpedia is the subversion of the standard binary which posits the self and the other. The references to Tellurian drives are not so much depicting actual channels of energy but a stepping stone to understanding that if an object can be said to have a hole, it could also be said that the hole-- the nothingness-- has the object. Thus perception with the tangible vs. the intangible is skewed, the primary force of the Universe is in fact the void, the nothingness, and we people are merely the 'holes' within it. imho.
OK ALL TROLLS + DERAILERS OUT

germanjoey posted:

Skylark posted:
i was planning to read the book in the OP; can some1 pls confirm that this book is not as absurd as the idea mentioned in the post i just quoted, and is in fact worth setting aside what im currently reading.

Edit: Already copied it to my SMart Phone, so all labor beyond the reading itself is taken care of.

i guess you missed infinite cockjammer's epic post in the original LF wherein he gave a badiouian deconstruktion of dubstep

and then like a day later it was nuked by admins due to an informal unstated "nuke dubstep posts" policy. good times.

wasnt his argument that it smashed the tyranny of four-four beats and created an Event or some shit
I' m in.
& this is how i will worship, O Black one,

http://youtubedoubler.com/3eRR

blonkandwhzz would you like to set an agenda. i think a schedule and a subject for discussion for the first section/chapter (however you want to do it) would help facilitate some p0sting
is a week from now okay with everyone to have finished BACTERIAL ARCHEOLOGY by? since we've just started, i'd like to see how everyone's handling the language etc. and if anyone's having trouble understanding the numerology or quranic references or whatever someone could step in and help. but besides from that, i think the most important thing it introduces is the nature of oil and its relationship with the gog-magog / war on terror axis so that would maybe be the best thing to discuss
his use of the qur'an and islam is pretty gimmicky and irreverent tbh so don't worry too much about missing allusive depth or anything
is the numerology important to understand? my eyes kind of glazed over in that part, it just felt like too much detail about a made up lovecraftian artefact, but i dunno if there was some significance to it i missed

shennong posted:
is the numerology important to understand? my eyes kind of glazed over in that part, it just felt like too much detail about a made up lovecraftian artefact, but i dunno if there was some significance to it i missed

no

[account deactivated]

shennong posted:

i havent totally given up on it having some significance yet but it was definitely the biggest stumbling block i had the first time through. at this point if its a misreading to ignore it, its part of the lf-canonical misreading

i can't read it becasue german joe hasn't sent me his copy, on account of him being a fucktard
i can send u a copy of it I GUESS just aim me or something. whatever,

loyellthecat22 posted:
i can't read it becasue german joe hasn't sent me his copy, on account of him being a fucktard

oh yeah. i forgot lol... I'll get "On the Case."

also, im gonna be in sf sunday-thursday - i could shrink-wrap it and toss it in your dumpster, if thats easier for u...

gonna get in on this
glad to have you on board!

i'm really ignorant of the discourse around this subject, but is anyone familiar with gold's deep hot biosphere? is it to be taken as seriously as cyclonopedia seems to want us to?

[account deactivated]

blinkandwheeze posted:

i'm really ignorant of the discourse around this subject, but is anyone familiar with gold's deep hot biosphere? is it to be taken as seriously as cyclonopedia seems to want us to?

it's widely regarded as pseudoscience, there's no empirical evidence for abiogenesis of oil, gold probably stole the idea from soviet scientists who were writing 4 decades before him, and its mostly promulgated by oil industry flacks. even if gold is correct, production data indicates that the genesis process is too slow to have any effect on fields on human timescales so its kind of irrelevant

blinkandwheeze posted:

this came up on old lf (mistersix, i think?) and iirc we concluded that the point was the image rather than the fact of the theory

NEOADMINISTRATOR posted:
oh yeah. i forgot lol... I'll get "On the Case."

also, im gonna be in sf sunday-thursday - i could shrink-wrap it and toss it in your dumpster, if thats easier for u...

my "graduate school" (so-called) is in los angeles so you'd have to throw it into a dumpster in los angeles