posting in "epic thread"

drwhat posted:

how do you say aroace, does it sort of rhyme apache? is it italian? how many genders does it cover and why not mine

Sounds like Arrow-Ace

"the boss baby" will make money
Slate Star Codex

G.K. CHESTERTON ON AI RISK

POSTED ON APRIL 1, 2017 BY SCOTT ALEXANDER
(An SSC reader working at an Oxford library stumbled across a previously undiscovered manuscript of G.K. Chesterton’s, expressing his thoughts on AI, x-risk, and superintelligence. She was kind enough to send me a copy, which I have faithfully transcribed)
on the other hand, lol

A long time ago I hosted an SSC-meetup-ish-thing in the offices of Quixey, a Silicon Valley company with a lot of connections to the rationalist and effective altruist movements. Unfortunately, Quixey is shutting down. There’s something kind of crazy about starting from nothing in 2009, getting valued at $600 million in 2015, and shutting down in 2017, but I guess that’s business. Or something.

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

Slate Star Codex

G.K. CHESTERTON ON AI RISK

POSTED ON APRIL 1, 2017 BY SCOTT ALEXANDER
(An SSC reader working at an Oxford library stumbled across a previously undiscovered manuscript of G.K. Chesterton’s, expressing his thoughts on AI, x-risk, and superintelligence. She was kind enough to send me a copy, which I have faithfully transcribed)

the article which prompted this completely insane chesterton "parody", twitter meltdown and hat-eating:

http://idlewords.com/talks/superintelligence.htm

Holy shit he looks goonier than I even imagined
I'm not sure what slate star codex is but I'm convinced me and it can never be friends
if the alt-right is all the people who spent too much time online in 2007 + a decade of life as a wretched incel, and the dirtbag left is all the people who spent too much time online in 2007 + a decade of being cool alcoholic potsmokers who deeply respect women, then slatestar is all the mods who didn't die in benghazi
Those really stupid tweets should go in the really stupid tweets thread but I guess they also apply to this one
corporate media will publicize that kind of attitude as much as they can in order to convince people it's politically fruitless to pursue left-wing policy. fuck the media and please dont share their bullshit around. i assure you most people wont vote to lose they own job
[account deactivated]
if it hadn't been a doctor would we still see all the outrage? magic 8-ball says 'outlook not so good'
on the other hand if he wasn't PoC i bet people would have cared a lot more!!, zhe screamed, over the howling of outrage from everyone
an elderly chinese doctor is about as PoC as seth rogen
[account deactivated]
why is every murder a Brutal Killing? shot the guy once in the head. that's not brutal. what would you have called it if he hacked the guy up with a guitar axe? smdh
the prime minister of Australia is begging multinational gas companies not to export all the gas because of a impending domestic gas shortage. instead of ya know, legislating that they stop exporting all the fucking gas. or even better nationalizing them. smdh
it's not like it would be better if the nazis of the south pacific nationalized their resources either
Please don't refer to my people using the n word

thatfatkid posted:

Please don't refer to my people using the n word

its out of bounds to compare them to nazis, the australians were much more successful at genocide

pro tip: if you want to get away with genocide, be british

thatfatkid posted:

the prime minister of Australia is begging multinational gas companies not to export all the gas because of a impending domestic gas shortage. instead of ya know, legislating that they stop exporting all the fucking gas. or even better nationalizing them. smdh

any interesting articles about this?

Turnbull to bang head with gas chiefs

Santos says there are plenty of gas reserves in Australia, the problem is state government restrictions on developing them.
Source: AAP
19 APR 2017 - 11:06 AM UPDATED 7 HOURS AGO

One gas industry chief due to meet with Turnbull government ministers says the promise extracted two months ago to stave off a domestic shortage is a "fake construct".

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has called the gas companies to Canberra on Wednesday to reinforce his message that a shortage on the east coast is not acceptable at a time when Australia will soon become the world's largest exporter of LNG.

At a previous meeting in March, he extracted a promise from exporters Shell and Origin to put more gas into the domestic market than they took out, with Santos expected to follow suit.

But ahead of Wednesday's meeting, Santos chief executive Kevin Gallagher said the idea of being a "net contributor" was a "fake construct".

The Gladstone LNG (GLNG) project, in which Santos is a lead partner, was producing less than its expected capacity so "we don't have any spare gas".

If Santos did find spare capacity, it would be more than happy to sell it into the Australian market, he told Sky News.

Energy Minister Josh Frydenberg said the GLNG project was taking gas from the south of Australia to export.

"That is increasing pricing across the country and it's also meaning that we've got a tightness in supply," he told ABC radio on Wednesday.

"We will be sitting down again today with the company and having that very frank conversation with them to say it is unacceptable."

When asked whether the government was prepared to knock heads together at the meeting, Mr Frydenberg said: "Absolutely, absolutely."

Mr Gallagher said the bigger issue was barriers to developing new gas resources, such as his company's planned coal seam gas project around Narrabri in northern NSW.

He wants the commonwealth to pressure state governments to ease development restrictions.

"There's plenty of gas in the east coast and in the Northern Territory, it's a case of being able to develop it," he said.

"Had we been able to develop the Narrabri project as we intended to back in 2010-11, there would be no gas shortage in the east coast today."

The agenda for Wednesday's meeting is also likely to include a proposal to allow exporters to buy cheap gas on the Asian market to fill contracts, freeing up Australian gas for domestic use, both in industry and electricity generation.

The idea has won the support of Labor, which says the existing system has gone "topsy-turvy".

But Mr Frydenberg said swaps were a matter for commercial negotiations between companies.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/04/19/turnbull-bang-head-gas-chiefs

From a quick google there doesn't appear to be many in depth articles on the gas "crisis".

But gas exporters like Santos, QGC etc. are exporting gas, but far less than what they had projected they'd be exporting when they signed all the export contracts around 2011(?) (a lot of the gas fields that they have mining leases for ended up having much less gas than what they thought was there, some even not being worth the money to extract the gas). Hence the gas exporters aren't willing to further reduce their already "small" export amounts.

So instead of using existing federal powers to force the gas exporters to reserve some of the gas being exported, Malcolm Turnbull is choosing to use this "crisis" as an opportunity act tough and make a "deal" with the exporters. This deal will more than likely involve relaxing restrictions on gas exploration in order to open up more gas for extraction from fields that were too difficult or sensitive to operate in and maybe this time some of the gas will be kept in Australia.

tl;dr big business fucked up their forecasts, fucking over the domestic supply of gas and are going to use this as an opportunity to steal more gas from the australian people

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2017/apr/20/judge-alarmed-about-lack-of-lawyer-as-he-jails-woman-for-begging

swampman posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2017/apr/20/judge-alarmed-about-lack-of-lawyer-as-he-jails-woman-for-begging

i'm reading a thing by a woman that's like "i can't find clothes online because i'm a plus-sized woman!" and i dont think the propect of losing some god damn weight has ever crossed her mind
hey everybody. all i can wear are parachutes ordered out of a circus supply magazine. why can't the world change because i don't feel like guzzling less sugar literally every waking hour of my life
if you can't find clothes that will stretch across your inhuman frame on the internet, home to literally hundreds of Na'vi cock replica vendors, that is probably a "you" problem
im confused about the downvotery. this person is white and not poor. they should and deserve to be murdered and their organs reappropriated for vietnamese bomb victims. what's a bit of mockery of their transitory lardstate

thatfatkid posted:

pro tip: if you want to get away with genocide, be british

good advice, thanks

im confused about the downvotery. this person is white and not poor. they should and deserve to be murdered and their organs reappropriated for vietnamese bomb victims. what's a bit of mockery of their transitory lardstate

why didnt you say it was lena dunham in the first place

[account deactivated]
if there's anything i've learned from children's tv, it's that everyone has something they're the best at.

roseweird posted:

i think it's just that no one else really enjoys fat hate rants the way you do

i'm just mad because i was dumb and didn't realize 15 years ago that instead of doing a lot of work i could just do nothing and drink hummingbird syrup and declare any form my viscera takes to be beautiful by fiat

[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

i'm just mad because i was dumb and didn't realize 15 years ago that instead of doing a lot of work i could just do nothing and drink hummingbird syrup and declare any form my viscera takes to be beautiful by fiat

if what you want out of life is to be a mentally ill fat person on the internet then that seems attainable for you. don't fall victim to the sunk cost fallacy

http://www.eurosport.com/rugby/faraj-fartass_prs459625/person.shtml

a few years ago i was posting on /r/fatpeoplehate a lot (it wasn't banned yet at that time) and generally spending a lot of time in the basement, crying etc. turned out i was having an extreme depressive episode!!