Did anyone ever figure out why everything in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea is done just for us?
yes
[account deactivated]
do y'all have an opinion on the forthcoming book of short stories by 'Bandi'? (http://groveatlantic.com/#page=isbn9780802126207%20 )

i really wanna read fiction from the DPRK but i'm also wary of this release

The Accusation is a deeply moving and eye-opening piece of fiction that exposes the truth of the North Korean regime. Set during the period of Kim Jong-Il’s leadership, the seven stories that make up The Accusation throw light on different aspects of life in this most bizarre and horrifying of dictatorships.

One story, "Life of a Swift Seed," tells the tale of a war hero and former ardent Communist who plants an elm tree in his back garden to commemorate one of his brothers-in-arms. A family friend who works at a nearby factory must decide whether he will intercede on this man’s behalf when the tree is to be cut down to make way for a new power line and the war hero is prepared to defend it with his life. In another story, "City of Specters," a Pyongyang mother’s young son misbehaves during a party rally, crying out when he sees a portrait of Karl Marx, whom he thinks is a monster of Korean myth known as the Eobi. In one other story, a mother attempts to feed her husband during the worst years of North Korea’s famine, and in another, a woman in a perilous situation meets the Dear Leader himself.

As a whole, The Accusation is a vivid and frightening portrait of what it means to live in a completely closed-off society, and a heartbreaking yet hopeful portrayal of the humanity that persists even in such dire circumstances.

Sounds like 100% imperialist bullshit.

there's a really good collection called 'literature from the axis of evil' that has some authentic translations of proper juche literature in it. bandi is probably made up
from the review blurbs on amazon:

“The appearance of this collection of seven novellas is a true publishing event.”—Livres Hebdo

a publishing event

A collection of short stories by Bambi, Thumper, Flower and Faline on life inside North Korea

gay_swimmer posted:

there's a really good collection called 'literature from the axis of evil' that has some authentic translations of proper juche literature in it. bandi is probably made up

thank you! i will check this out

Guys, I've been following this thread for a bit and learning a lot, but the recent news from Tillerson/the Trump admin has me really worried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY3iESXyifM

Is this just bluster that has gone on during past administrations or is there extra reason to be really worried here? I don't really have a point of comparison to be able to tell.
How you gonna attack a country that has nukes

dont say "very carefully"
Even without the nukes, the North has the ability to do a massive amount of damage to the South in a short time. It's still worrying though, that the escalation of rhetoric is accompanied by new drones (these ones are newer and shinier than the Predator drones in the MIddle East) and deployment of THAAD. Looks like posturing against China to me.

mediumpig posted:

Guys, I've been following this thread for a bit and learning a lot, but the recent news from Tillerson/the Trump admin has me really worried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY3iESXyifM

Is this just bluster that has gone on during past administrations or is there extra reason to be really worried here? I don't really have a point of comparison to be able to tell.

Probably utilizing the same strategy as Trump has towards literally everything else: make threats in an attempt to make his target more willing to negotiate away things then make compromises that end up being the standard Republican line. So threaten war, end result will be further militarization and increased sanctions

US trying to gain negotiating room now that leadership in the south is a big question mark, similar to current deployments into syria, would be my guess
ITT we accept hereditary monarchy as communist because the monarchs in question chose the appropriate set of aesthetics.

Much like Comrade Discipline is a tankie for trying to make WWP in NYC some sort of the DSA for the less attractive and more cynical.

Consider this thread cone slammed.

Edited by swampman ()

Seriously who's gonna PPG and be the first across the 38th to retake Seoul from perfidious Baekje and their nefarious Western backers.

SONOFCONESLAMMER posted:

hereditary monarchy

[account deactivated]

SONOFCONESLAMMER posted:

ITT we accept hereditary monarchy as communist because the monarchs in question chose the appropriate set of aesthetics.

Much like Comrade Discipline is a tankie for trying to make WWP in NYC some sort of the DSA for the less attractive and more cynical.

Consider this thread cone slammed.

swampman fuck off

{placeholder for a 15,000 word rebuttal}
[account deactivated]
Boo hoo, the freedom of speech waa
lol it's not that i juts dont agree with ifapping rare new blood in this deadass forum because they called the three generations of kims helming the dprk a hereditary monarchy
"New blood" Lol! I love the completely new posters, who bring up the same tired anticommunist horseshit already discussed over and over in these forums (in this very thread), and also already knows all the histories and identities of ex posters. Very refreshing!
Yeah and I know all the responses already too, we can link a cultish story about the Queen and then some posts about how the DPRK is democratic on paper or something about the Kims just being figureheads. Anyway the DPRK is fairly cool but the giant statues of the Kims and their portraits everywhere and all that is definitely cult of personality stuff and that was a very quick trigger sending that poster away so fast for bringing it up.

I'm trying to come up with a good DPRK-related name for my trivia team tonight but the best I have is The Juche Ideas.
Everybody get up it's time to slam now
We got a real jam goin' down
Welcome to the Cone Slam
Here's your chance do your dance at the Cone Slam
the video for psy's 'gentleman' was banned from south korean tv because there was a part where he kicks a traffic cone
Did u unban me because I'm so fucked I'll put up all my cred as a red and fight swampman for it

Then I said fuck it I'll fight all you little liberal electricians in salt lake City

Then I said fuck it I'll fight all you fucking keyboard scum you can find me on Nostrand
I will beat you to death if you ever pull that child shit again swampman so perma me now or kneel and kiss the cone fucking ring.

Edited by swampman ()

Been in all those places already you fucking dust
Clearly forums moderation and policing the real he men alpha tankies is a tall fucking order you wanna put a name to shit son?
OR IS THIS ALL JUST A HOBBY?

Thank you
[account deactivated]

SONOFCONESLAMMER posted:

tankies

real tankie hours
Trump is losing very badly, and losing big, in Second Korean War. Thousands of American boys killed! Sad!

ilmdge posted:

Anyway the DPRK is fairly cool but the giant statues of the Kims and their portraits everywhere and all that is definitely cult of personality stuff and that was a very quick trigger sending that poster away so fast for bringing it up.

hm. i dont suppose you've ever been to washington d.c.

☑ no offensive wars
☑ legalized marijuana
☑ world-leading universal health care system
☑ sensible and defensive nuclear weapons policy
☑ limits on how much executives can make

the bernie sanders revolution already won, except it took place in northern Korea