[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
I hope you'll address the interpretation in which the murders (apart perhaps from that of Paul Allen) are fantasies of Patrick's.
[account deactivated]
i kind of want to watch this but i have a really low tolerance for horror movie type gore and violence, the imagery sticks around like a persistent pollutant in my mind and ends up seeping into my dreams and stuff so i try to avoid it. how gross is it?
[account deactivated]
I'm not sure I buy the idea that he's specifically targeting the vulnerable, given the centrality of the very high status Paul Allen.

It seems to me that the motivation for the actions (or imagined actions) has more to do with narcissism (e.g. Allen as threat to Bateman's ego, prostitutes as disposable toys to be discarded after sadistic gratification, etc). Narcissism also suggests why he couldn't bring himself to kill Chloe Sevigny (her naive infatuation/adoration was ego-boosting).

The medium of fantastic extreme violence (real or imagined, sexualized or not) was a neurotic reaction to the conformity/repression of his social station and cultural milieu -- a subconscious attempt to break free and act authentically (which ironically turns out to be barely noticeable in the context of 1980s wall street/high society morality).
[account deactivated]
ok, but then what's your take on why he chose Al the homeless man? seems to me more like filth/poverty as offensive to his narcissistic desire for perfect surroundings -- it's less clear how Al exemplified any qualities that Patrick despised in himself.
maybe authenticity? (vs. bateman's lack thereof)

but that seems kind of a stretch
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
the scene where patrick and samantha mathis wish each other a happy easter is a great, great scene, a personal favorite
[account deactivated]
Patrick Batman's performance in this movie was inspired by the dead eyed overly friendly persona of tom cruise lol
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:
i haven't read the book, but is it possible that the director was making fun of it, like verhoeven did with starship troopers?

i think there is an element of that. the film is definitely superior. might be interesting to note harron and her co-screenwriter actually rejected a screenplay by ellis.

http://michael-miller.wiki.uml.edu/file/view/the+unattainable+narrative-american+psycho.pdf
this film is one of the few things im interested in finance industry people's opinions on

if i knew any id invite them round to watch it over a few beers; maybe ask them about huey lewis & the news too...
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:

I saw it more as "you're worthless weak willed and disgusting" rather than filth/poverty... and obviously Patrick Bateman is obsessed with being worth something (Dorsia?) and not weak willed and being not disgusting. Nobody goes through a personal hygiene ritual like that without feeling like they are disgusting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A4Sju5NAdo#t=31s

"Well, maybe we shouldn't go out to dinner. I don't want to ruin your willpower."

"No it's alright, I'm not very good at controlling it anyway."

he tells the homeless man that he has "nothing in common" with him, but I dont think that's true.

[account deactivated]

The first illustrated murder, that of the homeless man, occurs immediately after the business card showdown. Having been belittled in another man's success narrative, he uses this murder to reassert his significance. It is perhaps not terribly coincidental that the homeless man's name is "Al." Bateman is made to feel subordinated and belittled by Paul Allen, who approaches him at the boardroom table and, standing over him, literally talks down to him. Bateman's response is to immediately seek out someone over whom he can assert his status. So, he uses the murder scene as an opportunity to assume the same dictatorial position over the seated Al, a temporary surrogate for Paul Allen in this status-oriented psychodrama.

gyrofry posted:

The first illustrated murder, that of the homeless man, occurs immediately after the business card showdown. Having been belittled in another man's success narrative, he uses this murder to reassert his significance. It is perhaps not terribly coincidental that the homeless man's name is "Al." Bateman is made to feel subordinated and belittled by Paul Allen, who approaches him at the boardroom table and, standing over him, literally talks down to him. Bateman's response is to immediately seek out someone over whom he can assert his status. So, he uses the murder scene as an opportunity to assume the same dictatorial position over the seated Al, a temporary surrogate for Paul Allen in this status-oriented psychodrama.

so, he kills his double in the shadowy recesses and cracks of the city/his subconscious...

I have to return some video tapes.
fantastic OP
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
the only superhero movie i can remotely stand is the jack nicholson joker one with the prince soundtrack
[account deactivated]
idgi t money please explain that clip to my tiny male brain
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
fuck you tpaine and fuck your functional somethingawful account
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]