pdf//additional materials//cyclonopedia symposia

Hailed by novelists, philosophers, artists, and cinematographers, Reza Negarestani’s Cyclonopedia: Complicity with Anonymous Materials is a key work in an emerging continental movement in philosophy, “speculative realism.” Cyclonopedia has attracted a wide-ranging and interdisciplinary audience, provoking a vital debate around the relationship between philosophy, geopolitics, geophysics, and the art world. Negarestani's book details a unique philosophy coming from and written on the Middle East. At once a work of speculative theology, a political samizdat, and a philosophic grimoire, it is a middle-eastern Odyssey populated by archeologists, jihadis, oil smugglers, Delta Force officers, heresiarchs, and corpses of ancient gods.
---
This compilation of Reza Negarestani's writings is made available to an international audience at a moment in history when the Orientalist taboo, having only recently consolidated its mastery over discussions of Near-Eastern culture and politics, has been propelled by events into spectacular – and almost certainly lethal – convulsions. Negarestani's name, pre-occupations and matrix of socio-historical emergence can only further inflame this situation. He arrives as a tourist in hell "carrying a jerry-can of gasoline."
---
Read Negarestani, and pray ...

Edited by blinkandwheeze ()

there's a good quality pdf up there, no excuse not to join in. once we're all ready to start reading we can pick a date to go over the preface, or finish the first of six chapters, "BACTERIAL ARCHEOLOGY: NETHER, SUB-SOIL AND XENO-CHEMICAL INSIDERS".

keep in mind this book is really heavy going! but with the collected knowledge of the rhizzone community i'm sure we can tackle it, in particular i'd be overjoyed to see discipline, babyfinland and shennong take part - a good grasp of theology and the knowledge of subsurface materials would be indispensable. but don't let that discourage you, i can think of no work more relevant to our contemporary times. you'd be a fool to ignore this incredible mind!

Edited by blinkandwheeze ()

[account deactivated]
also actually because of how dense the text is, maybe a better path would be discussing every subsection rather than waiting for everyone to finish a chapter? idk! up to you guys!
[account deactivated]
sure, that's probably the best idea
is there a kindle or epub thing for this, i guess i could read the pdf but its never formatted properly
[account deactivated]
I thought this was just an elaborate troll on postmodernism
i looked at the first chapter, rolled my eyes, and said "you guys WOULD like this" aloud to no one in particular

seriously tho i doubt i'll be able to keep up but i decided to read the first section just to see what the hype is. i like this

"Those Mecca-nomic agencies of War on Terror who consider everything that is not desert a violation against the all-consuming hegemony of God crave for the desert as a ground independent of Earth and its inhabitants; but what they actually achieve, and passively cooperate with, is the Tellurian insurgency of the Earth toward the Xerodrome."

ancient rotted sunlight burning us toward desert and dustbowl in the name of God, sounds about right to me
PETRO-MASONISM AND ITS TRANS-HISTORICAL TENTACLES

lmao this is great
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:
i keep seeing this shit and i've never cared enough to look it up, it's just like philosophy nerd fanfic or something right. i'm not actually looking it up or anything, so just tell me. giv e me the skinny. tpaine out.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

WeezyFBaby posted:
is there a kindle or epub thing for this, i guess i could read the pdf but its never formatted properly

if you google "convert pdf to epub" there are lots of websites that do it for you locally without you needing to install anything

and i am IN to read this blazebro

IT MAY be the preferred fashionista tipple, but the pronunciation of Moët & Chandon has caused many red faces and hot debate.
I will never forget my first visit to the exclusive Moët & Chandon lounge at Australian Fashion Week.
Upon receiving my first free glass of bubbles I enthusiastically declared the ‘Mo-aye was fabulous,’ only to be shot down by an acid-tongued fashion editor who said, ‘It’s Mo-wett darling.’
Sufficiently mortified, but not enough as to not enjoy my drink, I set forth to find out just how to pronounce it.
Throwing the question out for debate at social gatherings, dinner parties and unsuspecting wine waiters it became a hotly contested topic but I was none the wiser.
Those in favour of ‘Mo-aye’ argued it was French champagne and therefore the ‘t’ was soft, while those in favour of ‘Mo-wett’ had other theories including that the name originated in Germany and therefore the ‘t’ was pronounced.
None of these theories is correct. Here are the facts.
The correct way to pronounce it is ‘Mo’wett’.
Moët is indeed French champagne and was founded in 1743 by Claude Moët.
This is where it gets confusing. Moët was born in France in 1683; however, his name is not French, it is Dutch, which is why it is pronounced thus, says Helen Vause, public relations spokesperson for Moët & Chandon in New Zealand.
‘He was descended from a family of winemakers established in the Champagne region since the fourteenth century,’ says Ms Vause.
The word Chandon was added in 1832 after Pierre-Gabriel Chandon’s daughter married into the Moët family.
It is generally accepted that French words drop the ‘t’ but when the word is followed by a word starting with a vowel the ‘t’ is usually pronounced, which is another theory people tout as the reason for it being ‘Mo’wett’.
However, in this case the general rule does not apply says Myreille Pawliez, senior lecturer in French at Victoria University.
‘Proper nouns in French, which include names of people and places, don’t follow the general rule and because there are so many exceptions it can get confusing,’ she says.
‘In this case it is two proper names put together (Moët et Chandon) and you just have to know how to pronounce them.’
And don’t let the word ‘et’ (which means ‘and’) fool you.
‘With the word “et” you never voice the “t”,’ says Ms Pawliez.
As for the German connection, there isn’t one, although the champagne did make it to Germany in 1755.
‘In this part of the world the wrong pronunciation has taken a very firm grip,’ says Ms Vause.
‘When I say it the right way people often look slightly embarrassed and think, “She doesn’t know how to pronounce it, poor dear.”’
However, she says the French representatives, when visiting New Zealand, are accepting of our mispronunciation, realizing where it has stemmed from. ‘They are not snotty about it.’
What is undisputed is that Moët & Chandon is still one of the most fashionable drinks in the world.
It is a partner on fashion week podiums worldwide, including L’Oréal New Zealand Fashion Week, and was responsible for launching the craze of sipping it through a straw so models could enjoy their favourite champagne without spoiling their lipstick.
Women’s love story with Moët & Chandon began in 1745 when Louis XV’s favourite, the Marquise de Pompadour, proclaimed that ‘champagne is the only wine that leaves women beautiful after drinking’.
Some of the greatest women in history have contributed to the renown of Moët & Chandon. Both Napoleon’s mother and his wife Josephine were its powerful proponents under the First Empire. Sarah Bernhardt allegedly drank a half bottle of it with every meal and, in the 1920s, Josephine Baker walked her panther on the terrace of La Rotonde and visited the Moët & Chandon cellars.
i'd love to reread this with other people to talk about it with so im in too
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

aerdil posted:
IT MAY be the preferred fashionista tipple, but the pronunciation of Moët & Chandon has caused many red faces and hot debate.
I will never forget my first visit to the exclusive Moët & Chandon lounge at Australian Fashion Week.
Upon receiving my first free glass of bubbles I enthusiastically declared the ‘Mo-aye was fabulous,’ only to be shot down by an acid-tongued fashion editor who said, ‘It’s Mo-wett darling.’
Sufficiently mortified, but not enough as to not enjoy my drink, I set forth to find out just how to pronounce it.
Throwing the question out for debate at social gatherings, dinner parties and unsuspecting wine waiters it became a hotly contested topic but I was none the wiser.
Those in favour of ‘Mo-aye’ argued it was French champagne and therefore the ‘t’ was soft, while those in favour of ‘Mo-wett’ had other theories including that the name originated in Germany and therefore the ‘t’ was pronounced.
None of these theories is correct. Here are the facts.
The correct way to pronounce it is ‘Mo’wett’.
Moët is indeed French champagne and was founded in 1743 by Claude Moët.
This is where it gets confusing. Moët was born in France in 1683; however, his name is not French, it is Dutch, which is why it is pronounced thus, says Helen Vause, public relations spokesperson for Moët & Chandon in New Zealand.
‘He was descended from a family of winemakers established in the Champagne region since the fourteenth century,’ says Ms Vause.
The word Chandon was added in 1832 after Pierre-Gabriel Chandon’s daughter married into the Moët family.
It is generally accepted that French words drop the ‘t’ but when the word is followed by a word starting with a vowel the ‘t’ is usually pronounced, which is another theory people tout as the reason for it being ‘Mo’wett’.
However, in this case the general rule does not apply says Myreille Pawliez, senior lecturer in French at Victoria University.
‘Proper nouns in French, which include names of people and places, don’t follow the general rule and because there are so many exceptions it can get confusing,’ she says.
‘In this case it is two proper names put together (Moët et Chandon) and you just have to know how to pronounce them.’
And don’t let the word ‘et’ (which means ‘and’) fool you.
‘With the word “et” you never voice the “t”,’ says Ms Pawliez.
As for the German connection, there isn’t one, although the champagne did make it to Germany in 1755.
‘In this part of the world the wrong pronunciation has taken a very firm grip,’ says Ms Vause.
‘When I say it the right way people often look slightly embarrassed and think, “She doesn’t know how to pronounce it, poor dear.”’
However, she says the French representatives, when visiting New Zealand, are accepting of our mispronunciation, realizing where it has stemmed from. ‘They are not snotty about it.’
What is undisputed is that Moët & Chandon is still one of the most fashionable drinks in the world.
It is a partner on fashion week podiums worldwide, including L’Oréal New Zealand Fashion Week, and was responsible for launching the craze of sipping it through a straw so models could enjoy their favourite champagne without spoiling their lipstick.
Women’s love story with Moët & Chandon began in 1745 when Louis XV’s favourite, the Marquise de Pompadour, proclaimed that ‘champagne is the only wine that leaves women beautiful after drinking’.
Some of the greatest women in history have contributed to the renown of Moët & Chandon. Both Napoleon’s mother and his wife Josephine were its powerful proponents under the First Empire. Sarah Bernhardt allegedly drank a half bottle of it with every meal and, in the 1920s, Josephine Baker walked her panther on the terrace of La Rotonde and visited the Moët & Chandon cellars.

please dont skip ahead of the group. "excursus vii (barbaric music and vowelless alphabets)" isnt until page 150

tpaine posted:
i keep seeing this shit and i've never cared enough to look it up, it's just like philosophy nerd fanfic or something right. i'm not actually looking it up or anything, so just tell me. giv e me the skinny. tpaine out.

it's basically elaborate pomo style garbage, the joke is that after you waste your time reading it you tell someone else how great it was, and so on and so on, except you end up with a few weirdos not in on the gag who try to seriously deconstruct it

that same claim is made about infinite jest and couldn't be any more untrue with regard to it so i'm skeptical when books get slandered that way
Tried to read this twice and found it unbearable. Will try again because Goon Projects always rule.
[account deactivated]

aerdil posted:

it's great that so many people are on board! i'm psyched! when should we finish the first section by?

p.s. go to hell "crustpunk_trotsky"
[account deactivated]
I love the subtle denigration implied by putting someone's name in quotation marks
[account deactivated]
Yeah I'm a couple pages in and nevermind I don't think I can read this lol
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
lol the part where it's like "I met a man who goes by the serpentlike symbol *little hand drawn squiggle* which is unpronounceable in English" and then it goes on to use the symbol over and over again lol jeeeesus chriist.
please keep in mind the first chapter is the most coherent part, after that it's like derrida as translated by william s burroughs

crustpunk_trotsky posted:
please keep in mind the first chapter is the most coherent part, after that it's like derrida as translated by william s burroughs

i'm at a loss as to why this is a bad thing

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

crustpunk_trotsky posted:

whoaaa! check out the big brain on this fucker! 'it's like brig schungle's sophomoric interpretation of boat von schweeb's oooo

lemme try to break this down into terms you can understand *makes fart noises w/ armpit*

irl seeing someone you would meet on the suicide girls forum is only marginally better than doing the same on ~that other forum~