i went on a few dates with someone who works at in "private intelligence" as a middle east analyst. i asked her a couple of things about syria and basically i could have just asked a newspaper, also all the middle east analysts "really hate" max blumenthal because he says mean things. i am only slightly paraphrasing. this is not a kkkonspiracy but it sure gave me some insights into the open-minded, sharp, knowledgeable people who do what some places consider "analysis"
let me talk to her

drwhat posted:

i went on a few dates with someone who works at in "private intelligence"

*opens drwhat.xls, scrawls "CIA ASSET" at the top*

yeah max blumenthal and rania have been hammered on twitter by all these USAID sycophants
https://youtu.be/BCTLAb5G6UI

Here's a interview with Max where he mentions that.

It's a bit scummy that he talks about his work but not that such work is just inferior copies of what Vanessa berley wrote years ago
got some major intelligernce coming in form STRATCOM prepare to receive:
thanks for the 58mb gif of a grown man acting a damn fool
56k no
posting selfies is bad opsec
56k no. 5k, maybe as a stretch goal for 2017

c_man posted:

posting selfies is bad opsec

i only know two guys as cool as that guy and yes, one of them is me

So there is this "ex" CIA dude named Graham Fuller who is coming to my school tomorrow. One of the profs here brings him in every once in a while to talk about stuff in his International Relations class. When I took it, Fuller regaled us with tales of when he was a spy during the cold war.

The man supposedly wrote a white paper for intelligence people and policy makers that was the inspiration for the Iran-Contra deal, in which the Reagan administration sold arms to Iran in exchange for hostages and money. They used the money to fund the Contras to fight the Sandinista.

Anyways I don't want to let him get a free pass while he is here and I want to get up in his grill a bit. Does the Rhizzone have any messages I might pass on to this spook?
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
just do a low hiss during the objectionable parts, which should be all of it
[account deactivated]
I reckon the audience is that section of your classmates who are human not the war criminal, so if you grill him a bit and make it clear that many people don't accept mass murder in their names.

People will come up to you after class, and you can form a cell... Then one day that cell will be strong enough that its kidnapping those cia guys and posting pictures of them tied up under a red banner with a gun to their head like they do in Turkey.

Maybe remembering that will give you confidence in public speaking, like imagining everyone in their underwear
[account deactivated]
skip class and say it's a boycott, that always works since it's the only way to get your average instructor to feel guilty you skipped their class because it sucks
if you're asking how do you rally your classmates to follow you instead of asking this guy flattering questions to try to squeeze a reference out of him i suggest establishing a source of future employment for college graduates more reliable than the united states government, or, alternately, telling them you have the true romulan and then delivering at blueberry or higher
Yeah either just ask him straight up, "Are you proud of inspiring the Iran-Contra scandal" or organize a walkout among your classmates beforehand by paying them each $5
i'd go for the payola walk-out because if you ask him about iran contra given your description you're going to touch on one of his favorite topics apparently and you will receive a lengthy smug answer prepared over decades of self-justification that includes the words "you have to remember that"
Haha yeah I hadn't considered that. I'm definitely not going to get baited into this guy's decades old counterarguments.

Dude: "You haven't done your research here. Listen, young man. What's your name? .. OK , Belphegor, here's the thing, I've been in this business a long time... "

Me: "THE BOSTON BOMBER IS YOUR GRAND-NEPHEW INLAW!!!! WERE OUTTA HERE!
you could ask him a long & leading question designed to insult him which won't endear you to your classmates but might suggest to you which of them will listen to you badmouth him later. however by correctly interpreting their body language you may reveal yourself as a biologically inferior neurotypical
Ask him why he isn't locked up indefinitely in a military prison for betraying the United States of America by selling arms to Iran

Petrol posted:

Ask him why he isn't locked up indefinitely in a military prison for betraying the United States of America by selling arms to Iran

Yeah that;'s actually pretty good

Yeah, that would be fun, but he didn't directly deal any arms, it was just his idea that somebody else took up and ran with it. The more I look into this the less I feel I could actually put him on the spot. This guy is just going to be so much more familiar with the situation than me. He has had such an long career in the state dept. and the CIA that he must have done plenty of unconscionable shit, but it's not like I'm privy to what any of that is.

I wish there was a way I could make him feel unwelcome without making myself look ignorant - I go to a small school and this guy is really buddy buddy with some of the profs here.

The walk out thing hasn't really panned out, everyone I've approached hasn't been down and I won't be able to track down the rest before tmrw morning.
throw your shoe at him
Take a picture of yourself giving him the middle finger and post it on the internet. Anonymous will do the rest.
You have to remember that this one person's life choices are not really worth criticism, there are lots of people like them and they are very resilient. So what if they're a murderer many times over, maybe they can go on to be president then. This kind of shithead is a parto f university academics, if you don;'t like it, overthrow the dean and turn it into a radical commune / monastery

Edited by swampman ()

It's already been said but someone who is giving speaking presentations is a professional talking head and if you're not an experienced polemicist yourself you're just gonna look foolish.

Is this just a guest lecture for your class, or a larger public event that your class happens to be involved with/attending? If it's the former and you want to go the major effort path, you might be able to scrounge up some organized protest from leftist orgs on campus, or even from the broader community if you live in a decent town and can make a couple connections. I assume you're not at a US university/college, so a lot of orgs don't actually need it spelled out to them that a CIA snake should be denied a warm welcome on campus. Depending on the composition of your campus there might be groups that already take an active operational interest in this kind of thing. Print out some pamphlets on the Iran-contra affair for bonus points.

Of course if the event is like, next week, that's not enough time to organize unless you get someone influential reallll excited. A quicker, smaller scale version is to compile a list of good insult questions/accusations (like the ones people have been talking about in this thread) and coordinate them with other people: a smug practiced rebuttal is really effective against a single lonely dissenter, but gets weaker the more people hammer on a similar note. If you do this, please don't sit together, spread out and look inoffensive until question period starts, and if you only have a few people don't applaud each other or it'll be really obvious whose questions to ignore. Then just sit back and bask in your newfound ostracism from respectable academia.

If you don't know anyone who can help you with any of the above, join an org so you will next time!

swampman posted:

This kind of shithead is a parto f university academics,

This is true and trying to oppose it is a thankless uphill slog, but influencing what is considered acceptable on campus or at other public events in your community is possible and can actually mitigate the normalization of spook mass murderers getting cozy motivational speaker gigs. Pick your battles, but you'll never win a fight where you don't show up.

unless of course, you've laid traps in the room in advance
Really appreciate the input from everybody, particularly shriekingviolet for typing all that out. Unfortunately, the guest lecture is tomorrow and it is in a seminar class that I don't attend (I have received permission to audit the class, though). I don't really have anyone I can call on, at least not on this brief notice. I'll probably abort mission. The good news is this guy gets trotted out a couple of times a year because he lives in town. I can hopefully get a little more forewarning next time. I think putting out pamphlets about the Iran-Contra deal and the CIA's crimes during Fuller's time in the intelligence world would be more than enough to get a few of my peers interested in doing something.
[account deactivated]

Guyovich posted:

drwhat posted:
i went on a few dates with someone who works at in "private intelligence"

*opens drwhat.xls, scrawls "CIA ASSET" at the top*

i am definitely the most likely to be one here, that should have been there already. this is obviously a sign that you aren't on the rhizzone often enough

Belphegor posted:

Really appreciate the input from everybody, particularly shriekingviolet for typing all that out. Unfortunately, the guest lecture is tomorrow and it is in a seminar class that I don't attend (I have received permission to audit the class, though). I don't really have anyone I can call on, at least not on this brief notice. I'll probably abort mission. The good news is this guy gets trotted out a couple of times a year because he lives in town. I can hopefully get a little more forewarning next time. I think putting out pamphlets about the Iran-Contra deal and the CIA's crimes during Fuller's time in the intelligence world would be more than enough to get a few of my peers interested in doing something.

Yeah don't disrupt a class you'r auditing, just drop out of the class and tell the professor you are disappointed in the content. and demand reparations for indigenous peoples

xipe posted:

Related to this: are CIA and state objectives and methods very different?

They're two heads of the same snake, their objectives are identical and their functioning inseparable.

Their methods are different in that State Department is relatively transparent and much less clandestine, it's surprisingly easy to find out what they're doing at any given time. CIA activities of course involve direct paramilitary action, sabotage, assassinations etc that you won't find USDS directly participating in but rather supporting through its various other functions. State Department of course maintains an absolutely enormous and very visible global propaganda apparatus dwarfed only by the private one (the lines between which are obviously blurred). To the best of my knowledge CIA propaganda these days is almost all black and black budgeted, and generally smaller scale and more targeted/focused on specific shorter term operations

thanks

not sure where else to put this (maybe there should be a 'collapse' thread) but it is conspiracy substrate

https://theintercept.com/2016/10/13/pentagon-video-warns-of-unavoidable-dystopian-future-for-worlds-biggest-cities/
[account deactivated]