thought you dudes should know
i just now had the thought about the self-driving car solution to traffic, where all the cars are shooting down streets at 80 miles an hour inches from each others' bumpers to maximize fuel economy and space efficiency because the robot brains can react much faster than ours so it should be safe. this sounds terrifying
the thread so nice he posted it twice!
i guess they would say that people would get used to it, and maybe most of them would. but there are people who still can't ride in airplanes without having been nuked on xanax and plenty of people who can't ride in cars with someone else driving without freaking out

Edited by le_nelson_mandela_face ()

Petrol posted:

the thread so nice he posted it twice!

technology fails us again. time to depose catman from his golden throne

to contribute: i fucking hate the robot cars.
Root » Laissez's Faire » i have some problems
i feel like maybe robot cars make more sense in the US context. mostly to silicon valley types of course, because if your affluence stems from computers being made to do stuff just for the sake of it, the elon musk thing sounds extremely good. but really it's a symptom of amercia's amoral and undead capitalism, so fundamentalist that it has systematically dismantled the obviously superior solution to overcrowded unsafe roads: public fucken transport, mates
probably the worst are space cadets who say "consuming all the fossil fuels ASAP is fine, we will invent something to replace them"
look at the vastness of the universe! why are you worried about recycling, every asteroid out there has more minerals than we've used to this point!!
otoh i do support a techno-fetishist solution to ur bad posting
the US is a place where the only time people talk about expanding public transport are as some sort of scifi-level achievement a la hyperloop but self-driving cars are just common sense

c_man posted:

the US is a place where the only time people talk about expanding public transport are as some sort of scifi-level achievement a la hyperloop but self-driving cars are just common sense

i think hyperloop is pure FUD to undermine any idea of public transit in california to sell more teslas

actually the capitalist class has been very effective in utilising technology to fix its various problems: the problem of not being able to moitor everyone 24/7, the problem of not being able to kill people fast enough, the problem of too many jews etc
festivus comes early this year!

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

c_man posted:

i think hyperloop is pure FUD to undermine any idea of public transit in california to sell more teslas

my assumption is that it's effectively going to play out as a cash grab aimed at libertarian optimists

hey dudes. check out my idea for a public train system! not only can it get you from san francisco to los angeles in twenty minutes, it also costs less to build and operate a 200 mile long depressurized tube than a regular train! so why are you even talking about building one of those?

i bet this cocksucker would claim he's 5 years away from a teleporter if he didn't think it would depress auto sales
*phil hartmann voice* thinkin' of building a passenger rail system, eh? i guess you could do that, but i've got system that will...nah, it's more of a Shelbyville idea...

Petrol posted:

to contribute: i fucking hate the robot cars.

if it reduces the amount of deaths from car crashes isn't that a good thing? if public transportation isn't going to expand under capitalism then we might as well improve the current situation.

Here at the Rhizzone, we worship only death.
Another thing that would likely reduce auto fatalities would be if nobody could afford cars due to 40% of the jobs in America no longer existing.
[account deactivated]
My favourite techno-fetishist solution to an entrenched social problem is eliminating world poverty by teaching kids in third world countries to code. Techno-colonialism.

roseweird posted:

given current technology the only way robot cars would reduce deaths from crashes would be if a transportation network were created and regulated and controlled and human drivers, if not outright prohibited, required to drive vehicles regulated for optimal machine visibility, or vehicles required to be connected to the automated network to try to minimize unpredictability, or legally required to have an automatic override as a safety precaution against dangerous or incapacitated drivers.

yeah, it looks like most of the problems stem from how the sensors react to unknown objects/situations. maybe it will end up being accessible only in cities and major roads

Limitations
As of August 28, 2014, according to Computer World Google's self-driving cars were in fact unable to use about 99% of US roads. As of the same date, the latest prototype had not been tested in heavy rain or snow due to safety concerns. Because the cars rely primarily on pre-programmed route data, they do not obey temporary traffic lights and, in some situations, revert to a slower "extra cautious" mode in complex unmapped intersections. The vehicle has difficulty identifying when objects, such as trash and light debris, are harmless, causing the vehicle to veer unnecessarily. Additionally, the lidar technology cannot spot some potholes or discern when humans, such as a police officer, are signaling the car to stop. Google projects having these issues fixed by 2020.

Problems with the old, outmoded system of human-driven cars:
-The manufacture and use of automobiles, and oil derivatives to run them, are a major contributing factor in making the earth inhospitable to human life
-Daily use of private automobiles increases social isolation, aggressive behavior, fatness of citizens, wastes thousands of hours of human life in commute
-Metal objects weighing two tons and travelling many meters per second horizontally require huge quantities of space and asphalt and are a constant threat to human life
-Many people are required to use a private car to hold a job, but can barely afford the costs
-Some dweeb made it illegal to play candy crush on the I-5
Public transportation increases my social isolation, aggressiveness, and wastes triple the amount of time a car does. Buses are particularly bad for either being human sardine cans or almost completely empty and wasting a ton of fuel and generally making right turns a pain in the ass. I witnessed a bus crush a cyclists body under its front tire, which for the first time made me feel a bit of sympathy for their species.
one time on the bus i saw an old haitian lady on the wikipedia for iphone app looking up tyrannosaurs #yolo

odobenidae posted:

My favourite techno-fetishist solution to an entrenched social problem is eliminating world poverty by teaching kids in third world countries to code. Techno-colonialism.

look at this shit

Techno fetishists have managed to remotely land probes on other planets. They'll figure out cars soon enough. They only have to be safer than human drivers. Drunk, sleep-deprived, texting, masturbating humans.

swirlsofhistory posted:

Public transportation increases my social isolation, aggressiveness, and wastes triple the amount of time a car does. Buses are particularly bad for either being human sardine cans or almost completely empty and wasting a ton of fuel and generally making right turns a pain in the ass. I witnessed a bus crush a cyclists body under its front tire, which for the first time made me feel a bit of sympathy for their species.

tangential to this, this is another topic tech fetishists masturbate about that i don't get. what's so great about self-driving cars?

you wouldn't even need to own a car! a car could just come to where you are, pick you up, drop you off wherever, then it could take you back later! also during the trip you could just relax, do work, whatever

like a cab?

no, not like a cab. it's less expensive and can move a lot more people per hour!

so like a bus.

no, not like a bus. this would be just for you, and could pick you up right at your front door!

wouldn't it be optimal in terms of time, money and energy if the cars picked us up at designated times at designated stops to make sure they were packing as many of us in as quickly as possible?

yes, but you could get to your destination way faster than driving!

like a bullet train?

yes, but this requires less infrastructure!

just tens of millions of brand new cars.

right!

Edited by le_nelson_mandela_face ()

How Detroit And San Francisco Rebuilt The American Car

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

swirlsofhistory posted:

tangential to this, this is another topic tech fetishists masturbate about that i don't get. what's so great about self-driving cars?

you wouldn't even need to own a car! a car could just come to where you are, pick you up, drop you off wherever, then it could take you back later! also during the trip you could just relax, do work, whatever

like a cab?

no, not like a cab. it's less expensive and can move a lot more people per hour!

so like a bus.

no, not like a bus. this would be just for you, and could pick you up right at your front door!

wouldn't it be optimal in terms of time, money and energy if the cars picked us up at designated times at designated stops to make sure they we packing as many of us in as quickly as possible?

yes, but you could get to your destination way faster than driving!

like a bullet train?

yes, but this requires less infrastructure!

just tens of millions of brand new cars.

right!

It was too optimistic to think that technology would help diminish the amount of centralization and daily migration required to make our civilization shamble on.

I watched a news story today about people complaining about other people using Walmart parking lots as places to live in their cars. One of the guys interviewed held a job but couldn't afford to sleep anywhere but his car. Fast forward ten years into the future and his car would alert him that he has exceeded his three hour maximum in the lot and automatically drive itself to an impound yard. I hope tow truck drivers are updating their resumes.

swirlsofhistory posted:

I watched a news story today about people complaining about other people using Walmart parking lots as places to live in their cars. One of the guys interviewed held a job but couldn't afford to sleep anywhere but his car.

Sad, isn't it? And to think, he could've had a high paying job making software for self-driving cars if only he'd been taught how to code

Take note swirls: thats how to make a good (not great, but passable) post, you piece of shit. you cunt
guide to self driving vehicles

fuck off nerds:

hell yeah:
can't get hurt if you're not working

Petrol posted:

Take note swirls: thats how to make a good (not great, but passable) post, you piece of shit. you cunt

Nah

What inspires me...is teaching African refugees how to program Javascript.

swirlsofhistory posted:

Petrol posted:

Nah

can we just ifap this guy? this forum has never been about having the maximum number of posters and his presence is triggering me

if it's the Tesla, we can talk about the ribbon-thin LIDAR it uses to determine how to drive automatically because that's how the guy lost his head