https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2016/06/29/15-marine-drill-instructors-face-allegations-of-hazing-and-assault-at-parris-island/?wpisrc=nl_headlines&wpmm=1

15 Marine drill instructors face allegations of hazing and assault at Parris Island

The Marine Corps is investigating allegations of hazing, physical abuse and assault against 15 drill instructors at the Parris Island recruit depot, Marine officials said Wednesday, broadening the scope of a probe first disclosed after the death of a Muslim recruit in March.

The investigation centers on the installation’s 3rd Recruit Training Battalion, and was launched at Parris Island in November, Marine officials said. Other allegations, including failure to properly supervise recruits, also have been made.
(...)

The investigation became public knowledge after the March 18 death of Raheel Siddiqui, 20, a Pakistani American recruit from Taylor, Mich. Marine officials said Wednesday that during the course of an investigation into Siddiqui’s death, “facts revealed a drill instructor was improperly placed in charge of recruits while he was subject to an ongoing investigation.

“Existing orders, policies and procedures to prevent improper assignments were not followed,” the Marine Corps’ statement said. “Interim corrective actions have already been taken.”

One senior drill instructor involved in supervising Siddiqui had previously faced allegations of putting another Muslim recruit in a clothes dryer and using racially charged language, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing anonymous Marine Corps officials.

Siddiqui arrived at the depot March 7, and fell 40 feet to his death after running out of a squad bay and jumping over a stairwell railing. He had just been revived after fainting during a military drill. A lawyer representing the Siddiqui family, Nabih Ayad, previously told The Post that the family thinks a drill instructor “smacked” him moments before his death.
but that's not all!
Steve F.
1:43 PM PST
I went thru Parris Island in '75, also in 3rd Battalion. My platoon also had a recruit jump from the barrack's third story stairwell landing. A few recruits saw him jump but we all heard the ambulances come and go. The DI's never said a peep about it, we just went on with our training day like nothing had happened. We never did hear if he lived or died...just one more empty rack. My boot platoon started with about 77 recruits and we graduated with about 44 of that 77...we had lots of empty racks. Parris Island isn't for the faint of heart...Semper Fi.
mrbinga
12:29 PM PST
My dad was in college during much of the Vietnam War and that was around the time many universities forced their students to take ROTC. When my father was a freshman an upperclassman in their unit took it upon himself to haze and generally harass he and a number of other junior class-men, so one night my father and a few of his buddies took matters in to their own hands. They broke into the guys room threw a blanket over him and threw him off a third story building. He must have gotten the message because after that he never bothered them again.
The Left is Right
8:30 AM PST
I'm a liberal that has worked for the Marines. They are a super bunch who do more

in a morning than most anyone else does in a whole day.

I'm sure that the Marine Corps will figure this out and get back to doing what they do.
captainarclight
6:43 AM PST
Where is the outrage that over 55,000 American lives were thrown away in Viet Nam? Where is the outrage that over 4,000 American lives were thrown away in Iraq? So, instead the focus is on recruits being mistreated?
https://www.reddit.com/r/USMC/comments/4qll0b/15_marine_drill_instructors_face_allegations_of/d4u222q

He threatened to commit suicide, recanted, and then did.

Now good Marines are losing their careers because some shitty recruit couldn't handle his shit?

The only person who could possibly be at fault is the psychologist who didn't recommend this kid for separation.
[account deactivated]
SD99FRC 5 points 4 hours ago

Haha. Some limp-dicked former soldier who got med-sepped because he couldn't hack it called me a "bigot" because I think it's bullshit a bunch of Marines are losing their careers over unsubstantiated allegations of racism when some kid killed himself.

This actually makes my day.

Don't get me wrong. It's terrible that kid died. I don't wish death on shitbirds. But it's not the fault of the drill instructors, nor the officers up the chain. This kind of scenario is their worst nightmare.
i rewatched Full Metal Jacket recently and i have to say, knowing more now than i ever have known about the Vietnam War, that it holds up incredibly well

muthafuckin troooooooooops
ah yes please post more bad comments from the internet on to here, my rhizzone

aerdil posted:

ah yes please post more bad comments from the internet on to here, my rhizzone

Are you going to be taking a vacation or something

the troops: those guys suck
[account deactivated]
not a fan of them. the Troops.

tpaine posted:

they're some real jerks

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

does anyone remember the article about Soldiers making some big insulting banner about mohammed and provoking people to attack that they then killed? i can't remember the particulars but yeah

it's that thing, i can never remember the name... 9/11.

[account deactivated]

old school Troops content, something NATO wrote on the bombs dropped on Kraljevo
why would you want to be a serb in the first place

tpaine posted:

it was like "mohammed must die" or something

wasn't it that they draped the banner on their humvee or whatever during patrol and it was like "mohammed was a dog" or some shit. i think i remember but i cant remember the specific terrible details

[account deactivated]
do you mean the title was what the subhuman pigmen had written on the banner, or the title was "What the subhuman pigmen had written on the banner."
one interesting thing i've noticed about Troops is that when actual Troops are talking amongst themselves they talk freely about how almost everybody they met in the enlisted armed forces is a worthless, moronic, drunken grabass
https://np.reddit.com/r/Veterans/comments/4wol48/why_you_should_hire_a_vet/

unemploymentexpert 895 points 3 days ago
You guys can downvote me to hell, but this is the biggest load of garbage I have ever read. I knew just as many worthless shitbags as I did competent people in the military. Not everyone cared about completing the mission or the welfare of the people around them. Many of the vets I know are semi-high functioning alcoholics and I wouldn't hire them or even give them a recommendation. If a vet is worth his/her salt they will show it in the interview process and don't need some special consideration just because they served in the military.

SuperDrolSaiyan 220 points 3 days ago
Rule of 10.
For every 10 shitbags or idiots that enter the service....
Only one comes out a better person.

jberd45 2 points 7 minutes ago
I remember so many guys came out of the military acting like that: you'd see them at the bar acting like the bartender's a terrorist because he won't give them 20 Jaegerbombs free. Acting like a girl's a cunt because she won't fuck him. The funny thing is most of the guys who acted entitled were like cooks, or mechanics; in other words guys who were miles from the action.

You should lead a monthly roundup of Troops Comments for the front page oatst
mercenaries not specifically Troops but did you guys see this?

http://www.alternet.org/grayzone-project/new-documents-shocking-accounts-orlando-shooter-omar-mateen-alleging-racial

Here are just a few of the incidents Mateen alleged:

Mateen said a sheriff’s deputy named John Roleau taunted him, asking, “Don’t you Arabs sleep with goats?” Mateen was of Afghan descent, not an Arab, and he was born in the United States.

Robert MacNamara, a deputy and Gulf War veteran said to have a reputation for right-wing views, praised former Republican Rep. Alan West for his anti-Arab posturing, according to Mateen, and declared, “we need to kill all the fucking Muslims.” In another instance, Mateen claimed MacNamara would stand behind him outside the courthouse and “clip and unclip” his gun holster to menace him.

Mateen stated that someone put Rep. Alan West campaign stickers on his car and deflated his front two tires while he was parked at the courthouse.
Deputy Rusty Wright allegedly met Mateen in a courthouse hallway, pointed at a dirty mat on the floor and said, “Isn’t it your prayer time? Take your magic carpet and pray to your Allah and make sure it’s in the east.”

Several deputies badgered Mateen with questions about Muslim infiltration of American society and taunted him with accusations about the Islamophobic concept of creeping Shariah. “I did economics investigations for a few years and Italian mobs get caught and drug cartels get caught, but you Muslim Arabs are sneaky and know how to do it without getting into trouble. You guys do a lot of Western Union,” Sgt. Jeff Buchanan said, according to Mateen.

Deputy Bobby Dimarco casually referred to Mateen as “Aladdin” over the police radio, Mateen said. “You guys had your Arab spring, now it’s time for our redneck spring,” said another deputy, Michael Robinson, according to Mateen. Mateen said other deputies mocked him as a backward primitive, spoke openly about slaughtering Muslims, offered him bacon, and relentlessly taunted him about praying while on lunch break.

Mateen claimed his colleague from the private security firm G4S, Lt. David Torres, was one of his main antagonists, urging the sheriff’s deputies to view him with suspicion and once remarked, “Muslims are similar to Jews…they rape the system and monopolize.” Another G4S employee, Hunter Dennis, said, “Omar, you look like a Haji I killed in Iraq,” Mateen said. “Omar, I had rifle training in the military and I can shoot up to 200 yards away,” Torres declared, according to Mateen. “And if I hear you say, ‘Allahu Akbar,” I will shoot you in the head.”

Mateen complained: “After every terrorist event that would occur on the news, I would get confronted by Deputies throughout the day about it and if I knew more about it. From the time I would come in until the time I would leave.”

xipe posted:

“You guys had your Arab spring, now it’s time for our redneck spring,”

Surprised this one isnt on a hat already

xipe posted:

Robert MacNamara, a deputy and Gulf War veteran said to have a reputation for right-wing views...declared, “we need to kill all the fucking Muslims.”

weren't the vietnamese enough you absolute fucker

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

one interesting thing i've noticed about Troops is that when actual Troops are talking amongst themselves they talk freely about how almost everybody they met in the enlisted armed forces is a worthless, moronic, drunken grabass

Most people are moronic, drunken grabasses. But, you know what, Hank? They've got worth.

getfiscal posted:

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

Most people are moronic, drunken grabasses. But, you know what, Hank? They've got worth.

dont troll.

from whence does human worth come from, getfiscal? the sky? it certainly isn't their actions or the necessity of their existence
well technically speaking, I suppose it's from the socially necessary labor time required for their production.
unless youre in the army corps of engineers or something most troops dont perform labor and this is where i become a cliffite
i cast the circle for my m8 pazuzu of the SW winds and summon tpaine to this thread
blessed be

Pentagon officials say that the bulk of the California National Guardsmen who were erroneously awarded bonuses for their service will be allowed to keep the payments.

The Los Angeles Times first reported in October that thousands of California National Guard soldiers had been ordered by the Pentagon to repay enlistment bonuses they received after a federal investigation revealed that the bonuses were erroneously given out. The soldiers received the enlistment bonuses as a result of an incentive program during the peak of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan between 2005 and 2010.

imagine hearing someone talk about 9/11, saying "19 hijackers died that day, in addition to 3000+ americans" and that's basically a precise analogy for how we talk about troops lost in iraq or vietnam

Edited by le_nelson_mandela_face ()

There's a car with a "vietnam veteran" sticker on the back window in my neighborhood and every time I pass by it I imagine it in flames.