it's important to remember that labour market statistics don't apply to us for the same reason you wouldn't look at opinion polling of americans to guess what our opinions are. we're not a bunch of white power tryhards from yale. we're the all-singing, all-dancing naxalites of 9/11 jokes. if we want to get a HBO one-hour comedy special where we make jokes about using neutron bombs on tel aviv to preserve the buildings, it'll happen. there's no "expected career path" that tells blinkandwheeze to hit the trail in Chhattisgarh with a rusted AK-47 on his back... that's the magic of irony disease.
This website has become infested by normies, unfortunately.

getfiscal posted:

listen up emanuela, do not become a top corporate lawyer, as we all knew was your intention.

Lol

*emanuela wakes up covered in empty cans*

Fuck I was supposed to litigate for Goldman Sachs today.

*brushes pizza boxes off bike and sets off to work*
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

the only moral thing any of us can really do is kill ourselves

everyone come quick, a frown has taken human form

[account deactivated]
Ive been thinking about what you guys said and I decide to go to plumbing school get my master plumbers certification and join an AFL-CIO union
[account deactivated]
No toilet known to man could flush the pure tonnage of my posting

EmanuelaBrolandi posted:

getfiscal posted:

listen up emanuela, do not become a top corporate lawyer, as we all knew was your intention.

Lol

you act like im describing an extreme but im just describing the majority of legal jobs: basically anyone who works at a medium-to-large sized law firm or corporation doing civil legal work. although maybe my definition of the worst people on the planet is broader than most. yes there are other options in the legal field. hence the "or" part of that statement

if you get a jd without a specific plan of what to do with it, youre very likely going to end up in the mass of civil firm attorneys or making a pittance somewhere else. im just trying to say that there are cheaper and (slightly) more ideologically consistent options out there.

all that being said, if you can get a jd without racking up much debt, its not a bad deal, cause you can just decide you want to do something else after a few years. tons of jds end up doing something else. like most degrees, its more of a signifier that youve been properly socialized in a specific way. you have paid your dues to either stay in the upper middle class where your parents were, or buy your way into it with tuition and jumping through hoops like the bar exam. hence why dc is full of jds who do other things.

if you do what most people do and rack up high 5 or low 6 figures worth of debt to get one, though, you're kind of stuck doing law for a long time, because switching fields usually means taking an entry level job, and loan payments will eat up a huge chunk of most entry-level salaries.

im not trying to keep you out of the legal field for some selfish reason. im just trying to provide some advice on what i consider to be a bad decision, and i have the benefit of having made it myself. keep in mind, i actually take pretty strong satisfaction from what i do specifically, but still wish i could do something else and that i hadnt painted myself into a corner until im 40

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

just bein' real, fnargle

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
TG I know you're well intentioned I'm just makin jokes about how one person mentioning studying law made two posters start writing large unprompted and autobiographical sounding paragraphs about how terrible being a lawyer is. I know you're well intentioned and I ain't mad. I agree most people who study law for noble purposes are probably misguided.

To give context I'm talking about going without much debt if any bc I killed my grandma for her fortune
yeah also i live in basically british israel so i'm not going into debt for school.
we're all God in drag. you are not proletarian but proletarian-rising!
in my experience its a pretty common theme for actually practicing lawyers to try to talk people out of it, but, as noted, it never really works. yet we try, we always try

also that just makes me think about how many mcribs one could buy with granny's millions, but im admittedly bad at math/economics, so i never think of how many more future mcribs it could be after you invest it into something
[account deactivated]
A mcrib in the belly is worth 2 in mcdonalds - Ben Franklin
[account deactivated]
What do y'all think cycloneboy did w that money?

EmanuelaBrolandi posted:

Choosing to do manual labor as a college educated man because you think it somehow makes you more Marxist isnt proletarianizing yourself its just stealing a potential job from a poc, and probably only being able to live in a poc neighborhood thus further colonizing them

whyd you do it then

Because I was an 18 year faking his way thru college and I found a job where I could smoke weed and drink beer at work
the biggest slumlord in toronto is the city and no fast talking lawyer is going to solve a multi billion dollar backlog of repairs sorry
i would probably rather die than work in an office let alone a legal office with lawyers as colleagues
the funny thing for me is that my lawjob is really the best i could have ever hoped for. the caseload is manageable, i don't have to charge my clients, and i found a very interesting niche. but even in this best case scenario, every day that goes past is a day where tpaine makes more sense than the day before
what's not to like about offices? basically a couple hours of the day is fudgable time that I can, if I develop the right questions and interactions to make it seem like I'm working, use for personal things. unless it's busy season.
anything that distracts me from the meaninglessness of my existence for 8 hours works for me, sitting in a chair looking at a mirror (my monitor is off) is a goddamn nightmare
[account deactivated]

thirdplace posted:

like with legal aid lawyers being very directly and vigorously banned from any kind of political advocacy during work hours) are ultimately very secondary to that

they are also barred from clocking legal aid hours on class actions, specifically because they might allow those without resources to seek redress in the courts

[account deactivated]

EmanuelaBrolandi posted:

No toilet known to man could flush the pure tonnage of my posting

https://www.bigjohnproducts.com/seats.htm

tpaine posted:

just to be clear here i'm not actually urging anyone here to kill yourselves. i'm just saying that's the only real positive thing anyone can do for the world: hasten the end of our species. we didn't deserve any of what we've been given and our capability to even understand our place in the world was a complete accident and if anything a mistake as far as evolution is concerned. just keep ambling about finding your joys where you can until mercifully it's over for you

If it makes you feel any better Tpaine, there is actually a real possibility that the earth was sucked into a latent black hole approaching the solar system from out of plane; that our entire existence is just a momentary projection on the event horizon dragged on by the relativistic time slowing effects of high gravity; that the whole universe thinks we were unceremoniously snuffed out like a birthday candle; and we're just oblivious to the gruesome crushing death our entire species is hopelessly condemned to. 420 smoke theoretical astrophysics every day. (and weed)

[account deactivated]
it's possible we were dragged into the black hole but that a rescue team from the future has found a way to interpolate electronic messages to us through cryptic forum posts encouraging us to follow the trail to the solution.
[account deactivated]