I'm a big public transit nerd, so was thrilled to see photos from the Pyongyang metro system posted online. But I was shocked at the captions and the subtle political messaging!

For some strange reason, Western tourists seem to think that everything in the DPRK is done for them.. and them alone!

from: http://www.carscoops.com/2016/01/a-rare-look-inside-north-korean-car.html

On one of the war murals, the school administration had even covered up specific photos in advance of our arrival. Given how graphic the visible parts of the mural already were, I can only imagine what was hidden underneath. I asked our minder about these pieces of paper, and she sidestepped the question, saying that they were probably just touching up parts of the mural.

from: https://medium.com/swlh/8-days-in-north-korea-5c651c3883de#.jykkd5cmf

FAKE

FAKE!!!

FAAAAAAAKE AND FOR MY BENEFIT ONLY!!!!!!!

from: http://qz.com/137016/creepily-perfect-pictures-from-north-korea-the-sport-and-leisure-capital-of-the-world/

Get these Yanquis some Risperdal immediately! No wonder they have guides.. these psychopaths might not be okay when left unattended!

from: http://travel.cnn.com/touring-north-korea-whats-real-whats-fake-487216/

Even worse...

My god.. they can't even care for the disabled!

Pot holes!!!! Crumbling infrastructure!

Unseen images of hidden North Korea metro!

The Horror------!

I can see past the propaganda now.. so who will give these poor people regime change already?

Edited by MarianneSadd ()

i give up op, why
being able to aggressively assert that everything revolves around them is an experience too hard to pass up for most firstworlders

i hope DPRK got a lot of money out of them for the privilege

sad that such poverty exists in the US and North Korea.... hopefully both countries will do better. good point.
What is it about the Westerner that makes them believe the whole world is their very own personal Disney Land, that wherever they go people are eager and willing to spend whatever effort and money necessary to please and impress them?

And even then, if they assume a DPRK waterpark or Ghadaffi's guest tent is so very nice and welcoming especially for them, they are somehow inclined to be poor and ungrateful guests, they are inclined to cynically throw their hospitality back in their faces, impoverish and invade and destroy them...
probably because they're God's Chosen, OP.

MarianneSadd posted:

What is it about the Westerner that makes them believe the whole world is their very own personal Disney Land, that wherever they go people are eager and willing to spend whatever effort and money necessary to please and impress them?

And even then, if they assume a DPRK waterpark or Ghadaffi's guest tent is so very nice and welcoming especially for them, they are somehow inclined to be poor and ungrateful guests, they are inclined to cynically throw their hospitality back in their faces, impoverish and invade and destroy them...

i think that's just rich people/tourists in general. i mean even major "western" cities are becoming disneyfied in part for foreign tourists and capital. in china they have vast tracts of housing which emulates different imagined ideas of western life too (like novelty german housing etc).

what is the marxest selfie stick
likewise check out these photos of a couple new orphanages that the dprk recently opened

(as you can see, the interior is clearly designed as a panopticon)

what a pathetic and vulgar attempt at trying to prove themselves to be on the same caliber as some sort of swedish welfare state. the sad truth is that these places will only be filled with orphans who are of the privileged ruling elite. just another way to brainwash kids without their parents (who they probably murdered). that is, if they even put kids in them and don't just tear them down now that they took their propaganda photos. disgusting.

Edited by aerdil ()

everytime i see a picture of something that looks nice and well done and then im told its from north korea, i become sad because i know its a fake and gay disney lie created to trick me into believing that North Korea is a decent place to live so i can come back to america and tell all my friends to go to north korea, because north korea desperately wants more stupid fat judgemental rubber-neckers from the west in their country. they seriously can't get enough of us.

i however, know better because i am intelligent and wise beyond my years.

aerdil posted:

nice try with the fake trees dprk

Kim Jong-un can open these ostentatious orphanages, in a country that clearly does not even have any orphans. Shame.
how (and why) did Korea become so propagandised such that everything they do is taken as a complete joke by all western media and populations?

getfiscal posted:

sad that such poverty exists in the US and North Korea.... hopefully both countries will do better. good point.

err what NK poverty? the pics of guys working on an industrial site or the nice building with some cracks in the pavment in front of it?

I don't know which is better to my post-ironic mind, the west's scornful handwaving towards North Korea attempting to act "like civilized people" or the plucky underdog narrative of other 3rd world "developing" nations
Inside North Korea: The pictures Kim Jong-un and his brutal regime don't want you to see

saving you a click: some pictures were taken on an overcast day and published without the standard color correction. you're better off enjoying the pretty pictures Roland Boer posted to his blog a couple months ago.

just for completeness, found some related claims of performativity while looking into DPRK christianity a couple weeks ago ("two nondenominational 'protestant' churches were opened in an effort by the government to show religious freedom," etc)

Propaganda: Slogans are branded across state buildings such as this factory

Lol

swampman posted:

Propaganda: Slogans are branded across state buildings such as this factory

Lol

wth, i did NOT disable my adblocker but still see this post???

aerdil posted:

likewise check out these photos of a couple new orphanages that the dprk recently opened

(as you can see, the interior is clearly designed as a panopticon)

what a pathetic and vulgar attempt at trying to prove themselves to be on the same caliber as some sort of swedish welfare state. the sad truth is that these places will only be filled with orphans who are of the privileged ruling elite. just another way to brainwash kids without their parents (who they probably murdered). that is, if they even put kids in them and don't just tear them down now that they took their propaganda photos. disgusting.

I hope this is fake because I'd feel bad for them if they're really building things this stupid and tacky.

A high rise play skool apartment complex with child jacuzzi
That's a really cool take, Keven. Would you like to talk about aesthetics with me for 1000 pages, with occasional references to how we really are going to try to respect women we know?
I'd love to but I wouldn't want to distract from the effort threads like this one you're making on your new account.
Oh its against the law to be two people now? Everyone has to be one person or they're breaking the law, is that what you're saying? THAT is not communist.
For the last time, to you and the government robots who are indexing these posts: I am not a communist.
i mean i agree it looks tacky if it were anything than an orphanage, but it's aesthetics for little kids. i think it looks cute in a kitsch way.
like maybe awesome doom-imbuing brutalist architecture is appropriate for a state adminstration building but perhaps not for an orphanage

Keven posted:

I hope this is fake because I'd feel bad for them if they're really building things this stupid and tacky.

I hope this is real because I feel bad for them due to, you know, them not having parents and growing up in a world with no biological family

the sad faces painted on these bunks are clear evidence of kim jong il's vicious plan to demoralize and heartbreak the inmates

Keven posted:

It's sad because one of the big attractions of Korea is that it hasn't been overrun with indoor waterparks, people staring at the smartphones all day and all the consumer crap. The people still have their dignity.

tears posted:

Keven posted:

I hope this is real because I feel bad for them due to, you know, them not having parents and growing up in a world with no biological family

Oh I didn't assume the orphans had to design and construct the buildings. In that cAse I think they did a good job but maybe ppl that young shouldn't be doing heavy construction & engineering.

i mean it looks fucking sweet, pools, bright colours, activity rooms huge portraits of the dear leader and the great leader, whats nt to like. u want orphans to live in some oliver twist style nonce-run orphanage?

tears posted:

i mean it looks fucking sweet, pools, bright colours, activity rooms huge portraits of the dear leader and the great leader, whats nt to like. u want orphans to live in some oliver twist style nonce-run orphanage?

Keven's Little Oprhanage For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too

i feel sorry for kids forced to grow up in a tacky environment like that.

kids in my courtry play in burnt out playgrounds with broken glass and used needles, and by god it teaches them ~aesthetics
I think it looks like a great place for kids, especially the bath area and music room, as opposed to being shuffled around foster homes for their entire childhood (and nonces) and then being shipped off to prison.
[account deactivated]
it doesn't look that different from a ritzy suburban library, so that's neat
North Korean Orphan: hell damn glad to live in this baby apartment complex.

American Orphan: through the pain and struggle of my upbringing in the decaying ruins of a once-great society, I have ignited my "flame." To strive, struggle, create! I will become an artist.

North Korean Orphan: time for a dip in the baby jacuzzi. When I grow up I'm going to walk from one side of a hotel lobby to the other side all day so tourists feel more comfortable.

American Orphan: (is living organically, creating oppertunity and love)
fake ass orphans smdh
haha, some organization probably funded by the cia or whatever created an astroturf media website to post an article about a SECRET BROTHEL in a north korean hotel for their ELITE

http://archon.digital/articles/debunking-five-nights-pyongyang/

"With a history stretching back to 1972, East Asia Tribune (EAT) has grown into Asia’s largest and most trusted media organization with offices in 23 countries across the region and around the world." despite the fact that all their social media accounts stretch back for only a month and they have almost no online presence in search engines.

the actual article is a great fiction read: http://www.eastasiatribune.com/north-asia/five-nights-in-pyongyang-inside-the-secret-brothel-of-north-koreas-elite/
lol if you think that's anything other than an elite facility, reserved for high-rank orphans and those who are otherwise favored by the regime
I don't understand. If you raise an orphan child in a really warm, colorful, fun atmosphere, how are they supposed to develop the emotional callousness necessary to live inside prison complexes for the rest of their lives because they don't have a family and no one loves them?

It's is such an obvious Fake And Gay Disney Lie.