after the defeat of maduro & kirchner, the next stop in the CIA condor operation-via-#millenial facebook activism domino effect coup extravaganza is me country, brazil. our social democrat president is basically guaranteed to be impeached & replaced by the usual privatization vultures. the PT is basically stripped of any credibility and lula is publicly humiliated. lol. what's more, we have our bar association enthusiastically approving the impeachment & attorneys literally chanting "the brazilian flag will never be red!" + the mass anti-gov protests have the same form and content of the usual CIA Color Revolution Xtreme Starter Pack... like, the first thing i thought of was the amazingly fast & elaborate protest in 2009 Iran with beautifully color-coordinated flags and shit. also we have maybe the most cartoon-supervillain media in the world, actively agitating against the govt and obfuscating sour facts about the right wing opposition as much as it can and worshipping our god-like judge moro

yea anyway this is boring. i feel like nothing good has happened in politics in the past 10 years, just a slow lurch toward apolitical technocracy and right wing populism simultaneously while leftists flail helplessly
Thanks for the post. Hell, I'm sure it will work out in the end.
Crime doesn't pay, OP.
when a US company sends me over there to be a colonial ruler i'll try to be kind and benevolent OP
but also know i'll need to make a profit
Are the pt any good?
I heard lula described as blairite years ago and lost all interest, which I should have at least verified first :/

I'm really interested in brasil are there any decent commentators and analysis to read or follow on social media?

xipe posted:

Are the pt any good?

ye. it was usual left-social democracy / dirigiste capitalism + giving free money to poors. pretty good and most likely the best government we will ever see.

I'm really interested in brasil are there any decent commentators and analysis to read or follow on social media?

i recommend alfredo saad-filho, he's a trustworthy marxist

i was hanging out with a comrade the other day. she mentioned that democracy in Brazil is younger than she is, there is real danger of brazil falling to another dictatorship. PSL has an article on it.

https://www.liberationnews.org/escalating-right-wing-attacks-rousseff-brazil/

Edited by Urbandale ()

its happening
Watching it live ...

I suppose I was naive and didn't really believe it would come to this.

Fuck.

damb
Pretty weird how social democracy ended up giving way to neoliberalism again.

Edited by swampman ()

ohoho, i hadn't realised gene sharpe had been a nobel peace prize nominee, who next: obama?!

Flappo posted:

Pretty weird how social democracy ended up giving way to neoliberalism again.

Hahaha SocDem'd again!

tears posted:

ohoho, i hadn't realised gene sharpe had been a nobel peace prize nominee, who next: obama?!

being a nominee doesn't mean anything. any member of any national legislature is allowed to nominate someone and the nominations are supposed to be secret.

rip

tears posted:

lmao, at this point they should just go ahead and nominate whoever invented, uh, dynamite for the peace prize haha

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/18/dilma-rousseff-congress-impeach-brazilian-president

The guardian yeah yeah i know but they posted:

On a dark night, arguably the lowest point was when Jair Bolsonaro, the far-right deputy from Rio de Janeiro, dedicated his yes vote to Carlos Brilhante Ustra, the colonel who headed the Doi-Codi torture unit during the dictatorship era. Rousseff, a former guerrilla, was among those tortured. Bolsonaro’s move prompted left-wing deputy Jean Wyllys to spit towards him.

Eduardo Bolsonaro, his son and also a deputy, used his time at the microphone to honour the general responsible for the military coup in 1964.

Stay classy fascists~

Thanks!
-- Obama

Petrol posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/18/dilma-rousseff-congress-impeach-brazilian-president

The guardian yeah yeah i know but they posted:

On a dark night, arguably the lowest point was when Jair Bolsonaro, the far-right deputy from Rio de Janeiro, dedicated his yes vote to Carlos Brilhante Ustra, the colonel who headed the Doi-Codi torture unit during the dictatorship era. Rousseff, a former guerrilla, was among those tortured. Bolsonaro’s move prompted left-wing deputy Jean Wyllys to spit towards him.

Eduardo Bolsonaro, his son and also a deputy, used his time at the microphone to honour the general responsible for the military coup in 1964.

Stay classy fascists~

I was checking through the afternoon and there was barely a mention of it on any of the mobile sites of the major establishment papers/networks. it's a tiny column entry on the guardian us's page lol.

I just searched cnn. check out the framing of this video:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/18/americas/brazil-dilma-rousseff-remarks/index.html

"and then, the petrobras scandal...(oh-so-conveniently uncovered by nsa spying...)...rousseff has not been accused of any crimes, but was the head of petrobras when wrongdoing !!! is said to have taken place !!!..."

this is some of the laziest coup peddling I've ever seen
I figured I would bump this thread since several cats are out of the bag now.
ah now we see the violence inherent in the system

tsinava posted:

I figured I would bump this thread since several cats are out of the bag now.

The transcripts contain two extraordinary revelations that should lead all media outlets to seriously consider whether they should call what took place in Brazil a “coup”: a term Dilma and her supporters have used for months. When discussing the plot to remove Dilma as a means of ending the Car Wash investigation, Jucá said the Brazilian military is supporting the plot: “I am talking to the generals, the military commanders. They are fine with this, they said they will guarantee it.” He also said the military is “monitoring the Landless Workers Movement” (Movimento dos Trabalhadores Rurais Sem Terra, or MST), the social movement of rural workers that supports PT’s efforts of land reform and inequality reduction and has led the protests against impeachment.

The second blockbuster revelation — perhaps even more significant — is Jucá’s statement that he spoke with and secured the involvement of numerous justices on Brazil’s Supreme Court, the institution that impeachment defenders have repeatedly pointed to as vesting the process with legitimacy in order to deny that Dilma’s removal is a coup. Jucá claimed that “there are only a small number” of Court justices to whom he had not obtained access (the only justice he said he ultimately could not get to is Teori Zavascki, who was appointed by Dilma and who — notably — Jucá viewed as incorruptible in obtaining his help to kill the investigation (a central irony of impeachment is that Dilma has protected the Car Wash investigation from interference by those who want to impeach her)). The transcripts also show him saying that “the press wants to take her (Dilma) out,” so “this shit will never stop” — meaning the corruption investigations — until she’s gone.

Greenwald hyperbole and finger-wagging aside, this is extremely good shit

if i were the CIA i would be real mad
Op, since i'm pretty ignorant about the situation on the ground, could you give us a lil synopsis of what effect the protests are having, popular sentiments, etc?

dank_xiaopeng posted:

Op, since i'm pretty ignorant about the situation on the ground, could you give us a lil synopsis of what effect the protests are having, popular sentiments, etc?

The brazilian MSM (owned by five families) have been hammering at the PT government ever since its inception for the last 14 years and on the last three years it all came to fruit when the far right had a renaissance here with people protesting against "government corruption" and praising how the dictatorship times had no corruption scandals even though it's insanely widespread in all parties, the current political system is rotten to the core due to how it was created by a schizoid constitution written by former parliamentarians of the military junta era and the fact that the military junta had brutally censored all mentions of corruption until their last years which is why turns out there weren't a billion headlines back then unlike now.

Getting to see those retards eating crow now that the investigations are getting to the former opposition parties and the temer administration being incredibly inept and appointing all kinds of scoundrels for positions is the only silver lining to the coup.

Also one of the emerging right wing pundits here accused the NYT and the Guardian of being financed by the PT for reporting about the coup negatively
lula is about to be murdered in broad daylight by the brazilian military
Ok false alarm but they really did have the snipers out

Anyway

I hope Lula doesn't get shot because it would set off a ton of violence, but then again that could create a revolutionary situation.

Parenti posted:

I hope Lula doesn't get shot because it would set off a ton of violence, but then again that could create a revolutionary situation.

Please improve your posting style

Okay I hope Lula gets shot
im going to ifap you if you make one more shitty wothless post