u seem to be unhappy that the pictures dont provide additional context....that seems to be your main objection yes?

but that has to come from you and i never said it didnt. if I wasnt a marxist i wouldnt be seeing things like i do. I'm using google earth as a tool, as a supplimentary method, to help me visualise the scale of oppression, and a modern method that wasnt availible to any of the great communist theorists. I think this is cool and I really don't see the objection her but it seems to have got u mad

littlegreenpills posted:

panopticon why are you trying to be a tepid, anemic, and for want of a more perfectly apt description English version of iwc

because you touch yourself at night

tears posted:

u seem to be unhappy that the pictures dont provide additional context....that seems to be your main objection yes?

but that has to come from you and i never said it didnt. if I wasnt a marxist i wouldnt be seeing things like i do. I'm using google earth as a tool, as a supplimentary method, to help me visualise the scale of oppression, and a modern method that wasnt availible to any of the great communist theorists. I think this is cool and I really don't see the objection her but it seems to have got u mad

i only got mad because swampman and emanulabrolandi pissed me off, i'm just in a bad mood now. i dont have anything against you or your thread, although i would appreciate if you wouldn't assume what is fortunate or unfortunate for me. enjoy your thread.

U just got pwned
More like pwnedopticon
[account deactivated]
Who just got pwned in this threadi s all the many over the years moms who said their sons couldnt play magic: the gathering with me. like there was something wrong with the game. but I KNEW IT WAS REAL open this in a new tab babey i got a wide monitor
[account deactivated]
Panop your a good person... sometimes it seems like you dont like communism though.. dont listen to the trolls unless theyre me... and keep striving for peace and wisom

Panopticon Google search 250 Greenwich st new York NY

Disappointed that still no goatman
gonna continue doing this country-by-country (so far: australia, united arab emirates). will start randomising what country i do. got an interesting and easy one first (interesting for australians anyway).

this is cool but not cool enough for it's own thread so i'm posting it here:

http://fusion.net/story/287592/internet-mapping-glitch-kansas-farm/

For the last decade, Taylor and her renters have been visited by all kinds of mysterious trouble. They’ve been accused of being identity thieves, spammers, scammers and fraudsters. They’ve gotten visited by FBI agents, federal marshals, IRS collectors, ambulances searching for suicidal veterans, and police officers searching for runaway children. They’ve found people scrounging around in their barn. The renters have been doxxed, their names and addresses posted on the internet by vigilantes. Once, someone left a broken toilet in the driveway as a strange, indefinite threat...

As any geography nerd knows, the precise center of the United States is in northern Kansas, near the Nebraska border. Technically, the latitudinal and longitudinal coordinates of the center spot are 39°50′N 98°35′W. In digital maps, that number is an ugly one: 39.8333333,-98.585522. So back in 2002, when MaxMind was first choosing the default point on its digital map for the center of the U.S., it decided to clean up the measurements and go with a simpler, nearby latitude and longitude: 38°N 97°W or 38.0000,-97.0000.

As a result, for the last 14 years, every time MaxMind’s database has been queried about the location of an IP address in the United States it can’t identify, it has spit out the default location of a spot two hours away from the geographic center of the country. This happens a lot: 5,000 companies rely on MaxMind’s IP mapping information, and in all, there are now over 600 million IP addresses associated with that default coordinate. If any of those IP addresses are used by a scammer, or a computer thief, or a suicidal person contacting a help line, MaxMind’s database places them at the same spot: 38.0000,-97.0000.

Which happens to be in the front yard of Joyce Taylor’s house.

lebensraaaaaaaaaaaum
i keep getting the smallest nations possible

this thread rules. Looking at a lot of these reminds me of this very fashy bit Vice ran a while back--a Filipino guy made the "perfect" simcity, totally maximized productivity, use of space, etc. In consequence all his citizens die at 50 exactly and it's a monsterous hellscape.
http://www.vice.com/read/the-totalitarian-buddhist-who-beat-sim-city

Also here's some stuff I found on maps

I don't think either of those need context, but this last one is Hua Hin beach, in Thailand. The green area is a single (primarily private) golf course.
reminder that the earth is a ball and were onthe side

tears posted:

reminder that the earth is a ball and were onthe side

fucking with your perspective to make you Actually Think is good shit, i kind of want a sideways city on my wall

Makeshift_Swahili posted:

gonna continue doing this country-by-country (so far: australia, united arab emirates). will start randomising what country i do. got an interesting and easy one first (interesting for australians anyway).

from examining the patient i diagnose this 1 as the worlds fattest country

actually flat earth is correct soz
engineers build railroads and bridges and stuff that extend for miles, without correcting for the 1-inch-per-mile drop a so-called "round" earth would require. also most of those high altitude photos where you can see the "curve" of the earth are produced using fisheye lenses, you tie a GoPro to a toy sounding rocket and you won't see any curvature. why not? it's flat, get over it. if capitalism can lie to you about its being good for centuries despite the evidence of your own eyes, it sure as hell can convince you about the earth being round vs it being flat, which you have to be very autistic to care about anyway
the world is square and im gonna give it a wedgie and steal its lunch money

tears posted:

haha i was reading that and it's weird, i would have never guessed obesity rates would be like that. what's interesting from satellite photos is you can see the phosphate mines (now economically not viable according to wikipedia) and the detention camps clearly. like they're basically the only two features of the interior of nauru. another snippet from wiki:

Mining has stripped and devastated about 80 percent of Nauru's land area, and has also affected the surrounding Exclusive Economic Zone; 40 percent of marine life is estimated to have been killed by silt and phosphate runoff

[account deactivated]

littlegreenpills posted:

engineers build railroads and bridges and stuff that extend for miles, without correcting for the 1-inch-per-mile drop a so-called "round" earth would require. also most of those high altitude photos where you can see the "curve" of the earth are produced using fisheye lenses, you tie a GoPro to a toy sounding rocket and you won't see any curvature. why not? it's flat, get over it. if capitalism can lie to you about its being good for centuries despite the evidence of your own eyes, it sure as hell can convince you about the earth being round vs it being flat, which you have to be very autistic to care about anyway

religious singularity is evil, academic singularity is evil. you cannot think opposite of what you were taught to think - you have a cyclop perspective and taught android mentality. opposites create, not god, who equates queer creator and masturbation creation of Evil Oneness Educators. Oneism equates to evil lie, and Death for Opposites of Hemispheres and Sexes. Academic taught singularity within universe of opposites, has lobotomized your mind. You are Enslaved by Word - no whip or shackle required. Apply analytical math to Earth sphere and discover 2 opposite hemispheres rotating in opposite directions - equal to a ZERO value existence. Earth is not an entity, for adding the opposite values cancel each other to no existence. All the universe exist as opposite values. In a single rotation of the earth sphere, each time corner point rotates through the other three corner time points, thus creating 16 corners, 96 hours and 4-simultaneous 24-hour Days within a single rotation of Earth.

Edited by swampman ()

been messing around with this thanks to this thread. mostly looking at australia which is p boring.

the northeast coast of australia intrigues me

i suppose its not really any worse than regular suburbs and cul-de-sacs

herbsaint posted:

I don't think either of those need context, but this last one is Hua Hin beach, in Thailand. The green area is a single (primarily private) golf course.

golf courses are a unique blight. in some of my australia pics there appear to be multiple golf courses right next to each other.

tears posted:

haha i was reading that and it's weird, i would have never guessed obesity rates would be like that. what's interesting from satellite photos is you can see the phosphate mines (now economically not viable according to wikipedia) and the detention camps clearly. like they're basically the only two features of the interior of nauru. another snippet from wiki:

Mining has stripped and devastated about 80 percent of Nauru's land area, and has also affected the surrounding Exclusive Economic Zone; 40 percent of marine life is estimated to have been killed by silt and phosphate runoff

its so depressing, phosphates mined off by capitalism, island left as a ruin and like u said poisoning the oceans, population existing on imported soda and bad food, used as a detention camp for refugees that aus dont want. damn

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.2619688,35.2389621,2821m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://placesjournal.org/article/camp-code/
i probably need to make a new thread for australia's treatment of refugees, situation in nauru etc but for now im posting this here because nauru has already been mentioned above

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-15/iranian-nauru-refugee-convicted-of-attempted-suicide/7328236 posted:

A refugee in Nauru has been convicted of attempted suicide after an incident at one of the country's refugee resettlement areas.

Sam Nemati pleaded guilty to the charge, which is recognised as a crime in Nauru and, despite being the sole parent of an eight-year-old girl, spent two weeks locked up in February before receiving bail.

In late January this year, Nauru police went to the Nibok resettlement area to remove Nemati and his daughter Aysa because they had moved there from another facility without the permission of service provider Connect Settlement Services.

Nemati said Aysa did not like their old centre and wanted to move to Nibok where there were other children she could play with.

"Daughter … in the Nibok camp, happy because she has friends, five, six friends live in Nibok," Nemati said.

Police tried to negotiate with Nemati, asking him to leave the property, but his English was poor, and the officers did not bring a translator.

When Connect officials arrived to remove Nemati's belongings, he became distressed and attempted to take his own life.

After subduing Nemati, police took him to the island's hospital for treatment — later that day he was charged with attempted suicide.

Nauru's attempted suicide law comes from the Queensland Criminal Code, which is the basis for all criminal law in the country.

While Queensland repealed the section on suicide attempts decades ago, those laws were never amended in Nauru, and it remains a criminal offence.

After pleading guilty to the attempted suicide charge, Nemati was convicted, and sentenced to 12 months' good behaviour.

Prosecutors had wanted him jailed for two months for the offence, in order to deter others in the tiny island nation from, in their words, attempting suicide "to get what they want" in disputes.

Context: around the start of 2014 the Nauru government deported its only magistrate, its chief justice (who tried to stop the deportation), and then the solicitor-general resigned in protest. Apparently that sequence of events was kicked off by the magistrate issuing an injunction to stop the deportation of a media advisor to the previous Nauru government (now opposition). Despite its overwhelming influence and the fact everyone Ive just mentioned is Australian, the Aus govt said and did nothing, more concerned with maintaining good relations for the sake of detention centre.

Funny, I read nothing of this when i wikipediaded that island
Wait til you hear the one about the Australian evangelical christian PR firm the Nauru govt hired a few months ago to smear, by name, a refugee who had reported being raped! I really love my country, and it's government!!