[account deactivated]

conec posted:

makeswift... beyonce is sponsored by pepsi. that`s not revolutionary. neither is pouring 20,000 dollars worth of champagne into her jacuzzi for an instagram pic

sure but if you just roll over and be sad when revolutionary imagery is coopted into empty pop culture trash, then you are just letting it happen. if you get some thoughts/ideas in front of people's faces about what the imagery actually comes from and what it actually meant/means, what those people actually believed, then you are coopting their empty trash instead of the other way around

[account deactivated]

conec posted:

makeswift... beyonce is sponsored by pepsi. that`s not revolutionary. neither is pouring 20,000 dollars worth of champagne into her jacuzzi for an instagram pic

i wasn't saying she was revolutionary, i was saying that we can use these pop culture moments to actually educate people.

"During the lifetime of great revolutionaries, the oppressing classes constantly hounded them, received their theories with the most savage malice, the most furious hatred, and the most unscrupulous campaigns of lies and slander. After their deaths, attempts are made to convert them into harmless icons, to canonize them, so to say, and to hallow their names, to a certain extent, for the ‘consolation’ of the oppressed classes, and with the object of duping the latter, while, at the same time, robbing the revolutionary theory of its substance, blunting its revolutionary edge, and vulgarizing it"

we're seeing a 'rehabilitation' of bpp and radical civil rights movement now. i think that we can use media analysis to firstly criticise bourgeois culture (beyonce), then to re-sharpen the revolutionary edge of historical movements such as bpp.

the bey thang actually exemplifies the problem. the dialog there is pretty exclusively between rightists calling them the literal black kkk and liberals watering them down as 60s BLM/basically a liberal civil rights org. it's not informing anyone. marxist pop culture analysis may be cool and good, but it will inevitably be drowned out because pop culture analysis is much more easy to monetize than just about any other kind of analysis, because it can be sold in a form that is effectively just more advertising. the people doing that selling will inevitably be liberals (probably liberals of the loftiest economic calibre, because professional culture consumption is such a desirable position that it will either be done for free or be done for pay only after years of unpaid labor, thus screening out anyone who must work to live). which means their analysis probably will be as well
best case scenario you're still fighting on a very unfavorable battleground
[account deactivated]

Keven posted:

Turd Fart Poop Creature

Stop doxxing

Hole Blowing Butt Diarrhea Culture
[account deactivated]
I'm flipping my shit about beyonce's Militant, Black Separatist, choice to wear Michael Jackson's outfit from HIStory
le critique of ideology face

thirdplace posted:

best case scenario you're still fighting on a very unfavorable battleground

there was some talk a while back about critical theory students of a certain academic fashion now in high places of the click and publishing industry. it was meant as a snarky dismissal. now, I don't deny how wrong those people can be but I also would rather be in the middle of that struggle for meaning (which is what that really is) even though it is fraught with lots of confusing things than bracket it out and only focusing on I don't know, the narrow set of concerns that some Marxists see as important. It sometimes feels good reading theorists that take our myths seriously enough to respect the integrity of artists tapping into the Thing , read all the materialist factors, and are also not alienated enough to be tortured by it. Personally I avoid most pop culture but then again that's a personal choice

it's a fucked up dichotomy because you're right, fiction and it's interpretation are important (especially at the stage we're at in America and Co, where the realms of possibility are otherwise so limited) but pop culture criticism is the rock on which so much of what is dysfunctional about 21st internet liberal "activism" is built and i don't see that changing for the aforementioned structural reasons. a world where one's politics is defined by what one watches and reads is rapidly approaching (if it's not already here) and it's a disaster
as always, the solution is more marxism. just have to get those counternarratives out
RIP Umberto Eco
yeah, rip

dank_xiaopeng posted:

as always, the solution is more marxism. just have to get those counternarratives out

release the hounds counternarratives

gyrofry posted:

you can and should analyze everything

imo it doesn't hurt to show people that communists go to the movies sometimes
Agreed. I saw the witch tonite and besides sucking it also wasnt narxist and erased class. But i gave out a couple free copies of my trot zine to people in the audience
it's an urge you have when the assumptions and values of the mass media differ radically from your own. it's harder to not do it than to do it.
Lgp just wants to kick back with a lager and watch top gear like any good british cunt
you're mean and i hate you
serenity now!
[account deactivated]

TG posted:

more like poop culture

It took a whole 6 replies to this thread before someone did the poop culture joke. disapointing

tears posted:

It took a whole 6 replies to this thread before someone did the poop culture joke. disapointing

did you mean to post this someplace else? after all you are currently reading a website where the term "fail aids" is funny and acceptable.

i was disapointed it didnt happen sooner!
i recently watched Best Picture Winner uh i forget the name, uh, Catholics Rape Kids? ok i googled it. Spotlight.

anyway the plot is not very interesting, the writing isn't very interesting. the script was banging around without any takers in 2013, then francis became pope and started rattling cages about capitalism and suddenly it got $20m and multiple recognizable names attached and everyone in the film industry talking it up.

the plot is literally: "hey, do catholic priests rape kids?" "yes!" "wow... a lot?" "SO MUCH. ALL THE TIME. EVERYONE. IT GOES TO THE TOP." "wow..."

convenient that people with millions and millions of dollars earmarked some funding for making a "the pope loves to rape kids" 129 min infomerical and then it spread through the liberalsphere like a wildfire they are ideologically obliged to pour gasoline on.

anyway it's bad and dumb and transparent. that's my complex analysis.
oh and the principal screenwriter was a nobody tv writer until in 2012 he was drafted to write the screenplay for a film about wikileaks about which no one in wikileaks was contacted or interviewed.

assange, about that film: "It is a mass propaganda attack against WikiLeaks the organization and the character of myself and our activities and so on. But it is not just an attack against us. It is an attack against Iran. It fans the flames to start a war with Iran"
[account deactivated]

drwhat posted:

i recently watched Best Picture Winner

this won best picture for the same reason macklemore won a grammy

When does he come out with his follow up to "same love", "boy love"?

swirlsofhistory posted:

haha is he gay?? that's gay!! i bet he also sleeps with men. what a fag

drwhat posted:

swirlsofhistory posted:

haha is he gay?? that's gay!! i bet he also sleeps with men. what a fag

lollin @ this

did uyou guys hear the latest craze among the petty bourgeois is a musical where non-white people dress as slaveowners and 'rap' about the american dream

fucked up if true
[account deactivated]
this musical was brought to you by the the numbers Ass, Fuck, and Capitalism