Did they even get that rowdy? It looks like a bunch of people with similar political beliefs that met online (probably on a forum much like this one, yet much unlike it) decided to show up to an event where they were clearly unwelcome and were ejected. I guess there were some fistfights?
it would be a true miracle if there were a large-scale political event in chicago where the local anarchists did not show up with the intent of starting a riot, ditto the cops.
point taken.
is there an argument to how donald trump is fascist? im not really seeing it myself but i'd like to hear thoughts of ppl here. i see it get thrown around a lot elsewhere.
broke the liberal taboo against class discrimination with the muslim ban, has violent rallies, basic theme is to restore a purportedly humiliated nation, blames humiliation on effete and possibly homosexual liberal elites. has inchoate and inconsistent economic and social policy that is incidental to his appeal, which is rather based largely on a personal brand established via personal virility and willful/gleeful violation of the cultural/political norms held by liberal elites.

it's arguably silly to get worked up over fascism or protofascism or whatever you want to want to call his particular flavor of rightism when we're talking about a country built on bones by slaves that destroys another country every five years. but imo trump nonetheless presents something new, bad, and ugly and things can always get worse
yeah, we shouldn't neglect the straight up volkish race war shit trump spits out and i think marginalized peoples across the states, especially racialized peoples, have a lot to be afraid of with a trump presidency, its just that their wholly legitimate fears get drowned out by the white noise of pasty liberals losing their shit over the really petty and inconsequential lesser provocations.

most of the mainstream accusations of trump being fascist misunderstand the situation and wouldn't be able to spot real fascism if a boot was on their neck, but that doesn't mean there's not a genuine danger.
The cable news argument that they are a fascist is that they don't care about black people, and flout the law, lol
did the good folks at psl/answer do this?
http://www.answercoalition.org/chicago_march_11_mass_protest_to_stop_trump

swampman posted:

The cable news argument that they are a fascist is that they don't care about black people, and flout the law, lol

that's why im particularly interested in the thoughts of comrades on the rhizzone. 'fascism' in bourgeois pop culture and political science doesn't seem particularly well-defined. trump is interesting to me because he displays some potential signs of fascism... anti-intellectualism, rebirth of the nation, etc. yet on something like foreign policy (e.g. cuba) he seems consistently to the left of other republican candidates (and often hillary)

i find it interesting, can we think of the other candidates as potentially fascist?. bhpn has a couple good posts on the current election and fascism in the sanders thread too. maybe i just haven't read enough stuff about fascism to judge. what i see in other places "loud racist = hitler" rings hollow to me...

People overestimate how comparatively bad trump is. Which is not to say he's not a lunatic, just that people forget how insane the other republicans are. The only thing that sets Trump apart from republican consensus is opposition to free trade, and this and his refusal to bow to the kingmakers is almost solely what's driving republican establishment backlash. His positions on torture, war, taxes, illegal immigration and so on are within or not that far outside the elected-official consensus, and demonstrably not outside the opinions of the rank-and-file Republican

Edited by le_nelson_mandela_face ()

Fascism is categorically impossible in America because there is no nobiliary aristocracy and a monarchist tradition for fascists to draw from.

It would need that plus military worship to complete the fascist dyad—the militarism is obviously possible in America, but Trump doesn't conjure the army enough in his politics and he most likely wouldn't turn his presidency into a true junta.

As it is, he is just a far-rightist. Abdel el-Sisi is more fascist in any true sense than Trump could ever be.

Cheers.

Edited by COINTELBRO ()

This and your other post on the subject have deminstrated that you dont know what fascism is cointelbro - or at least your understanding of it is on the lrvel of a CNN reporter.
what do you mean by "on the level of a cnn reporter"? obviously no talking head would use the concepts of 'monarchist tradition' or 'military worship' to understand an election cycle, so i assume you have something else in mind here than the content of the definition

COINTELBRO posted:

Fascism is categorically impossible in America because there is no nobiliary aristocracy and a monarchist tradition for fascists to draw from.

It would need that plus military worship to complete the fascist dyad—the militarism is obviously possible in America, but Trump doesn't conjure the army enough in his politics and he most likely wouldn't turn his presidency into a true junta.

As it is, he is just a far-rightist. Abdel el-Sisi is more fascist in any true sense than Trump could ever be.

Cheers.

Donald Trump (Paternal Autocrat)

Organisation regain -5%
Peacetime Belligerence -0.4 per month
Alliance chance with Democracies +30%

The Barking Buffoon is a great political dramatic actor. People see him as a strong and competent leader who will save the nation and restore it to its historical greatness. But behind his mask of bombastic rhetoric hides a weak-minded, vain simpleton. Those who really know him, know he is an incompetent man.

Flappo posted:

COINTELBRO posted:

Cheers.

Donald Trump (Paternal Autocrat)

Organisation regain -5%
Peacetime Belligerence -0.4 per month
Alliance chance with Democracies +30%

The Barking Buffoon is a great political dramatic actor. People see him as a strong and competent leader who will save the nation and restore it to its historical greatness. But behind his mask of bombastic rhetoric hides a weak-minded, vain simpleton. Those who really know him, know he is an incompelmaotent man.

lmao hoi am i right 4 life ninja

in hoi4 news, if you don't fully purge the party as the ussr, trotsky returns from exile and overthrows you
So its gonna be realistic in every detail like the previous games?
oh yeah, in a recent revision you also get civil wars of varying sizes if you dont purge your officers fully

Panopticon posted:

oh yeah, in a recent revision you also get civil wars of varying sizes if you dont purge your officers fully

but we don't take well to revisionism round these parts

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

People overestimate how comparatively bad trump is. Which is not to say he's not a lunatic, just that people forget how insane the other republicans are. The only thing that sets Trump apart from republican consensus is opposition to free trade, and this and his refusal to bow to the kingmakers is almost solely what's driving republican establishment backlash. His positions on torture, war, taxes, illegal immigration and so on are within or not that far outside the elected-official consensus, and demonstrably not outside the opinions of the rank-and-file Republican

lol if you take trump's non-immigration/trade/culture war pronouncements even slightly seriously. he can will and has changed them on a dime; one week he's aping pat buccanan on foreign policy, the next he's calling for thirty thousand ground troops to ~~take out~ ISIS. he doesn't have positions, he has whatever sounded good the last time it came up at a rally or debate

It's surprisingly easy to project my views onto trump, I see why people do it. E.g. I hear about him supporting the Iran deal and for a moment I think to myself, "Oh, he's actually an incredibly reasonable person who will say anything to get elected." Then I return to my senses.
i cant say im shocked that "left" twitter accounts that spend nonzero energy caring about 9/11 conspiracies and think that vaccines cause autism believe that everything they hear anyone else being involved in was produced on a sound stage

Edited by c_man ()

many ppl I see on my Facebook making posts or parroting about vanishingly small incidents at the Trump rally that indicate Big Things Are Now Within Reach, it's pretty astonishing and then of course certain people have beef with those commenters and it's "all phony and staged" seems like theirs a middle ground there that looks pretty appealing to me
[account deactivated]
william blum endorses trump: http://williamblum.org/aer/read/144
ah yes, the devil you dont know vs the devil you do
i would close this thread if i could
serioulsy though im very interested in seriously debating donald trump and his politics
Agreed but we should have like a "funny election links only" thread that doesnt allow earnest goony d&d debate bc it is funny to see things like the blum article. Im not interested in us pandering to nerds who want to talk about the election but that doesnt mean i want to be cut off from all news / humor related to it
I'm endorsing Donald Trump.
if jeb lund endorses trump, hell, even i'll get on board.
im endorsing taking a dump
it's more important than ever, in today's economy
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

cars posted:

i thought that's why we all started posting together?

[account deactivated]
http://twitter.com/MikeDelMoro/status/709902906057691136/photo/1\

just the tip
i dont want to read this whole thread, can someone just tell me if zizek has endorsed trump?