my favorite comments section right now is VICE UK where departed rhizzone poster deadken publishes a story about greek lending terms and for his efforts is allowed to collect five pictures of translucent-skinned milk golems passed through the Facebook API alongside comments explaining that statism kills. i feel i should read ars technica though, which produced both edward snowden and our very own Neo, mustang nineteen.
name a place with a good comments section lol

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

tHE r H i z z o n E

trump supporters are so funny. i'm reading one bitching that The Liberal Media is unfairly calling him and his supporters racist and after that he says that obama's the real racist because he "let the nigs chimp out" lmao

barkwire

trump supporters are so funny. i'm reading one bitching that The Liberal Media is unfairly calling him and his supporters racist and after that he says that obama's the real racist because he "let the nigs chimp out" lmao

pretty narcissistic you feel the need to post about how you read your own posts

ilmdge posted:

pretty narcissistic you feel the need to post about how you read your own posts

racisms have never been a vice of mine

"chimp out" is a classic goatstein phrase
i appropriate the pre-existing racist phrase "chimp out" to speak to the essential irrationality and apelike lack of higher sentience of humanity as a whole. please do not troll

i appropriate the pre-existing racist phrase "chimp out" to speak to the essential irrationality and apelike lack of higher sentience of humanity as a whole. please do not troll

I guess this kind of cynical misanthropy is still cool on these boards. If you wanted to actually achieve something, you'd talk about chimping in.

swampman posted:

I guess this kind of cynical misanthropy is still cool on these boards. If you wanted to actually achieve something, you'd talk about chimping in.

i wanna be baptized by a trump water bottle
dave neiwert & others tracked massive organized support from at-the-edge, non-establishment white supremacists for george w. bush, just like they did ronald reagan, so this is not a new phenomenon, just one that had a lull with john mccain and mitt romney whom they didn't like as much for various reasons.

The Saurus posted:

Today I had the first interview I've had for a while despite applying for jobs constantly over the past few weeks.

I find SO MANY jobs that are perfect for me, they match up almost entirely with my resume and my chosen career path but then there's that little thing at the bottom:

"Must speak Spanish."
"Must be fluent in English and Spanish."
"Must be fluent in Spanish"

These aren't translator positions, these are ordinary jobs. Office jobs, bookkeeping, pharmacy technician positions, whatever.

Fuck Mexicans, Fuck Them. Too fucking lazy and arrogant to learn the language of the country they came to live in. Either learn english, or move to a country where spanish is the majority language - because right now the amount of privilege spanish-speakers have in the job market is fucking unreal.

lol this guy gets accused of being a fascist (correct) on the daily and he just kind of chuckles and goes, "heh, Well,"

nothing matters of course but the absolute holistic,organic, all natural expunging of the American mentality from the Earth. that's right folks, I'm talking joint dictatorship of the proletariat of oppressed nations here and if you ain't down, well, *points to door*
nate silver is such a hack lol

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trumps-six-stages-of-doom/

Aug 6, 2015
So, how do I wind up with that 2 percent estimate of Trump’s nomination chances? It’s what you get if you assume he has a 50 percent chance of surviving each subsequent stage of the gauntlet. Tonight’s debate could prove to be the beginning of the end for Trump, or he could remain a factor for months to come. But he’s almost certainly doomed, sooner or later.
https://www.facebook.com/DonaldTrump/videos/10156696078600725/
John 'smug british liberal' Oliver had an episode on Trump and it was about as useless as you would expect. im thinking of voting for him just to see the reaction of liberals when i tell them *slowly animorphs into republican*

babyhueypnewton posted:

John 'smug british liberal' Oliver had an episode on Trump and it was about as useless as you would expect. im thinking of voting for him just to see the reaction of liberals when i tell them *slowly animorphs into republican*

This.

babyhueypnewton posted:

In the Year 200X Doctor Jon Daily invented Hatewatching. In the Year 201X, Hatewatching took control

he started out pretty strong, criticizing trump's lies, but then ended in a sophomoric thing about how his ancestral german name was "Drumpf." i'm sure that that's gonna collapse his support fam. if somebody found out that his great-grandfather's name wasn't Trump they'd be like, fuck, i guess i'm not a racist anymore and i want factory jobs to go to asia
also imagine if trump wasnt white. no way would they make fun of his last name. i thought this piece on anti-white classism as the essence of political correctness was pretty good and Oliver is the essence of that:

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2016-02-19/donald-trump-class-warrior

Donald Trump, Class WarriorBy Clive Crook
Charles Murray's recent article for the Wall Street Journal on "Trump's America" offers an interesting explanation of an initially inexplicable phenomenon. I think Murray's right to see support for Trump as an act of protest that's both understandable and even, on its own terms, rational.

The piece discusses economic pressures and cultural strains across the United States. The economic factor is familiar, but the salience of class and culture, which Murray emphasizes, is too little appreciated.

Even putting race to one side, America was never the classless society it has imagined itself to be. But tribute is still paid to the idea, and this has obscured the role of class in this strange election. Murray writes about a new merit-based upper class, comprising talented people, educated and socialized at college, and doing pretty well. They have a good opinion of themselves.

Another characteristic of the new upper class -- and something new under the American sun -- is their easy acceptance of being members of an upper class and their condescension toward ordinary Americans. Try using "redneck" in a conversation with your highly educated friends and see if it triggers any of the nervousness that accompanies other ethnic slurs. Refer to "flyover country" and consider the implications when no one asks, "What does that mean?" Or I can send you to chat with a friend in Washington, D.C., who bought a weekend place in West Virginia. He will tell you about the contempt for his new neighbors that he has encountered in the elite precincts of the nation’s capital.

That friend would be me. Allow me to elaborate.

I'm a British immigrant, and grew up in a northern English working-class town. Taking my regional accent to Oxford University and then the British civil service, I learned a certain amount about my own class consciousness and other people's snobbery. But in London or Oxford from the 1970s onwards I never witnessed the naked disdain for the working class that much of America's metropolitan elite finds permissible in 2016.

When my wife and I bought some land in West Virginia and built a house there, many friends in Washington asked why we would ever do that. Jokes about guns, banjo music, in-breeding, people without teeth and so forth often followed. These Washington friends, in case you were wondering, are good people. They'd be offended by crass, cruel jokes about any other group. They deplore prejudice and keep an eye out for unconscious bias. More than a few object to the term, "illegal immigrant." Yet somehow they feel the white working class has it coming.

My neighbors in West Virginia are good people too. Hard to believe, since some work outside and not all have degrees, but trust me on this. They're aware of how they're seen by the upper orders. They understand the prevailing view that they're bigots, too stupid to know what's good for them, and they see that this contempt is reserved especially for them. The ones I know don't seem all that angry or bitter -- they find it funny more than infuriating -- but they sure don't like being looked down on.

Many of them are Trump supporters.

Granting the appeal of the straight-talking outsider, one still must ask, why Trump? I mean, he doesn't actually talk straight: In his own inimitable way, he panders like a pro. Shouldn't it matter to someone who usually votes Republican that Trump isn't a conservative -- that, in policy terms, he isn't really anything? He's a liar and proud of it, transparently cynical and will say whatever comes into his head. How could anybody trust this man?

Yet, contrary to reports, the Trump supporters I'm talking about aren't fools. They aren't racists either. They don't think much would change one way or the other if Trump were elected. The political system has failed them so badly that they think it can't be repaired and little's at stake. The election therefore reduces to an opportunity to express disgust. And that's where Trump's defects come in: They're what make him such an effective messenger.

The fact that he's outrageous is essential. (Ask yourself, what would he be without his outrageousness? Take that away and nothing remains.) Trump delights mainly in offending the people who think they're superior -- the people who radiate contempt for his supporters. The more he offends the superior people, the more his supporters like it. Trump wages war on political correctness. Political correctness requires more than ordinary courtesy: It's a ritual, like knowing which fork to use, by which superior people recognize each other.

This isn't the whole explanation of Trumpism, by any means, but I think it's part of the explanation. Supporting Trump is an act of class protest -- not just over hard economic times, the effect of immigration on wages or the depredations of Wall Street, but also, and perhaps most of all, over lack of respect. That's something no American, with or without a college degree, will stand for.

babyhueypnewton posted:

i thought this piece on anti-white classism as the essence of political correctness was pretty good and Oliver is the essence of that:

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2016-02-19/donald-trump-class-warrior

The fact that he's outrageous is essential. (Ask yourself, what would he be without his outrageousness? Take that away and nothing remains.) Trump delights mainly in offending the people who think they're superior -- the people who radiate contempt for his supporters. The more he offends the superior people, the more his supporters like it. Trump wages war on political correctness. Political correctness requires more than ordinary courtesy: It's a ritual, like knowing which fork to use, by which superior people recognize each other.

This isn't the whole explanation of Trumpism, by any means, but I think it's part of the explanation. Supporting Trump is an act of class protest -- not just over hard economic times, the effect of immigration on wages or the depredations of Wall Street, but also, and perhaps most of all, over lack of respect. That's something no American, with or without a college degree, will stand for.

i dont think so. obviously his vocal rejection of political correctness plays extremely well (as part of the overarching anti-establishment act) but it's pretty condescending to assume people dig it because they're sick of those high-falutin' elites talkin' down to 'em. you don't need even a high school education to intuit that politicians are full of shit and see 'political correctness' as just that whole mess of weasel words they use to control the conversation and shut the plebs out. and that's not really wrong, because from a left perspective it's easy to see how proto-fascism has come to overwhelm the mainstream discourse under cover of polite debate, or as stewart lee puts it, "if political correctness has achieved one thing, it's to make the conservative party cloak its inherent racism behind more creative language".

why is trump popular? he's the GOP version of obama. lofty talk of making america great again, bringing back all the jobs, neutralizing all the perceived threats (mexicans and muslims, threatening the economy and security respectively), cutting the bullshit talk and gettin' down to business. hope and change. the bluster is just window dressing and it doesnt hurt because people love to laugh. and thats why hes going to beat hillary and become the next president.

imo the anti-political correctness is the core appeal. every time he spouts off, every time he embodies a bullying masculinity, he's demonstrating that he doesn't fit the norms of urban white collar America, which his primary opponents can't match because they are in fact urban and white collar. the protectionism isn't there out of some kind of class appeal, not really; it's there because free trade is a sacred cow and he's running a campaign on making sacred hamburgers. imo it's all sociocultural signaling all the way down, the material effects are incidental

at least that's what I think. maybe i've been reading too many nerd blogs, but at least i'm not reading fash symp shit that article

babyhueypnewton posted:

anti-white classism as the essence of political correctness

never change bhpn

it's Super Tuesday! Trump Tuesday! Time to ride America straight into the ground aw yeah. I hope he wins everything.
bhpn has a point that "political correctness" as a concept is most often directed at poor whites; however, this is because poor whites are absolute swine

drwhat posted:

it's Super Tuesday! Trump Tuesday! Time to ride America straight into the ground aw yeah. I hope he wins everything.

trump is going to win every state except maybe texas

[account deactivated]
"political correctness" is a right wing canard and taking it seriously is like taking seriously ideas like "welfare queens"
[account deactivated]
i think we can condemn classicism against poor whites w/o excusing support for billionaire New Yorker donald trump.
[account deactivated]
the maoist third worldist case for worrying about white genocide.
the majority of my clients are poor whites and i like them more than the vast majority of my law school classmates
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]